Melbourne Football

2013-14 MEMBERSHIPS

Red or Dead

WSW memberships sold out. We have a long way to go to catch those fukkas.

Maybe there are a lot of things in the pipeline, but I have wondered what we're actually doing to catch the public's attention? Why not, for example, do the round of the shopping centres at the weekends with the membership tent, merchandise for sale, Harry signing autographs and being photographed with the kids, hand out a list of our home fixtures, etc. etc.

• Like 2

Who wouldn't get a membership from them? 1 year and already they've made the final, a perfect record. I think the test will be for them when they go through a bad patch. I think that a lot of those members are bandwagoners compared to someone like hearts membership in yes, we have only under 3000 but we have a lot more commuted members who we'll re-sign every year regardless of how the team goes

Who wouldn't get a membership from them? 1 year and already they've made the final, a perfect record. I think the test will be for them when they go through a bad patch. I think that a lot of those members are bandwagoners compared to someone like hearts membership in yes, we have only under 3000 but we have a lot more commuted members who we'll re-sign every year regardless of how the team goes

made evident after last years performances ffs :droy: 

agree 

Maybe there are a lot of things in the pipeline, but I have wondered what we're actually doing to catch the public's attention? Why not, for example, do the round of the shopping centres at the weekends with the membership tent, merchandise for sale, Harry signing autographs and being photographed with the kids, hand out a list of our home fixtures, etc. etc.

Agree JW. Mate spot on. Lets take over. Munn and co are don't have enough imagination or ideas. Getting sick of those dick heads.

Maybe there are a lot of things in the pipeline, but I have wondered what we're actually doing to catch the public's attention? Why not, for example, do the round of the shopping centres at the weekends with the membership tent, merchandise for sale, Harry signing autographs and being photographed with the kids, hand out a list of our home fixtures, etc. etc.Because I have a job and a family and a life. All that shit is their job sort out. And even when you do go out of your way to promote or do shit for the club they don't care anyway.

I am and always will be a supporter of Heart. I will always buy membership, attend games and support the terrace. But until they start paying me I am not spending my spare time trying to do the shit they are being paid for.

*sorry that was intended for the above comment

Edited by KSK_47

thats actually kind of a jump for one day so maybe the allstars game did kinda work...

Yeah perhaps, I think the the release of the new membership brochure may have also played a part. Hopefully this is the influence of the all-star match though

I don't know where else to post this, but I want to say thankyou to whoever has changed the forums logo for the favourites/tool bar.

Instead of that horrible blue square with a white V, it is so nice to see the Melbourne Heart Supporters logo. Keep up the good work. 

• Like 1

I don't know where else to post this, but I want to say thankyou to whoever has changed the forums logo for the favourites/tool bar.

Instead of that horrible blue square with a white V, it is so nice to see the Melbourne Heart Supporters logo. Keep up the good work. 

http://mhfcsupporters.com/topic/1982-computer-question-re-favourites/#entry114731

Gratitude should be directed towards Tesla as well as the appropriate amount of claps emoticons

Edited by malloy
  • Like 2

thats actually kind of a jump for one day so maybe the allstars game did kinda work...

Yeah perhaps, I think the the release of the new membership brochure may have also played a part. Hopefully this is the influence of the all-star match though

I would have suggested these are last-minute renewals by members wanting to retain their allocated seats - deadline is 26th July.

To be honest, I'd prefer 13,000 members with 3,000 of them being bandwagoners instead of 3,000 committed members and no bandwagoners...

• Like 3

To be honest, I'd prefer 13,000 members with 3,000 of them being bandwagoners instead of 3,000 committed members and no bandwagoners...

Especially since at least a handful of ours are baby members and pet members...

BTW, it looks as though the current number is being updated every couple of hours or so - it's now 2620.

Of course i would prefer to have more members, regardless of whether they are bandwagoners or committed supporters, but considering how shit our performances have been last season, we should be grateful for anyone signing up at this point tbh. And 2630 members at this point in time is ntb considering we still have 2-3 signing's to come.

Maybe they finally filled that vacancy for someone who was going to teach the coaching staff how to do spreadsheets...

We're slowly creeping towards that 3,000 "committed member" number! Now we need to sign a decent marquee to get the 10,000 bandwagoners  ;)

It's unfortunate that Harry Kewell has lost his shine from playing with the tards! Hopefully he gets that shine back in a red & white shirt in 3 months time!

I just read about WSW's problems and almost shed a tear.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/a-league/news/1160656/Wanderers-set-for-record-gates

The old cliché's such as "success breeds success" and "build it and they will come", come to mind.

Come on Heart.

I don't understand why people continue to compare us with WSW. two completely different set of circumstances

• Like 2

Good luck to WSW. They're in a football friendly part of Sydney and the FFA learnt from their mistakes in Fury and GCU. Also Lyall Gorman deserves praise for the way he has systematically put this together working from the ground up to create a real buzz amongst supporters up there. It doesn't hurt that the FFA gave them special treatment as far as recruitment goes to ensure they were competitive from day one. And Popovic with his apprenticeship at SFC and Crystal Place was absolutely the right guy for the job.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/a-league/news/1160656/Wanderers-set-for-record-gates

The old cliché's such as "success breeds success" and "build it and they will come", come to mind.

Come on Heart.

Good on the wanderers, I hope they break their membership record from last year and get 20,000 members

2657 @ 12:45pm.

I reckon we might get some more members this week from the Liverpool hype!

Some from Heart should advertise (make it really well known) to the general football-illiterate public that Harry Kewell has once played and won a Champions League title with Liverpool!

Now all we have to do is wait for Liverpool to smash the Victards 6-0, which should also help Heart's cause!  :D

Come on Heart.

I don't understand why people continue to compare us with WSW. two completely different set of circumstances

I am happy to compare us with Real Madrid, WSW, Man U or any other club in the world as it gives us perspective regardless of obvious differences.

In regards to WSW there are a number of similarities such as second team in city (yes I know about their geography, demographic etc.), first year senior coach, having to resource players from a league where other clubs have filled their squads with the supposed best players etc.

How have we done?

Average crowd being able to draw on a large cosmopolitan city around 7500. Rather poor.

When Heart were playing well we were getting crowds of around 10000. At the moment we are struggling to have 30% of these signed up as members and family memberships come with four children's memberships which become "guests" if the family has less than four children. So how are we really going?

The point of my OP was that it would be good to have the problems of WSW and I still think Heart could do a lot better if we showed more ambition.

Sorry about the poor quality of this post but I want to respond KofH and am a bit short on time.

Peter, I agree with you that we could have a lot more visible ambition and initiative (can never quite understand why we don't?) and that a lot can be gained by comparisons with the best and most successful in the business, however much bigger they are than MHFC.

But I'm with KofH on comparison with WSW. Remember that no private syndicate could get sufficient finances together to meet FFA's requirements for a second Sydney team. WSW only exists because it is owned and operated lock, stock and barrel by FFA, and will be for several years to come. It is not hard to find ways in which that situation can work to benefit WSW. As has been stated by others, having a CEO who had previously been at CCM and then FFA gave WSW a huge advantage over all the other "expansion clubs" so far.

That takes nothing away from the achievement of the WSW coaching and playing groups however, and they performed last season with much more passion and commitment than we have ever done.

It's not the past that concerns me, rather it is the issue of MHFC's ambition for the future. Another club is playing an EPL side in Melbourne tonight, in front of 93,000-odd people. It could have been us. Instead we will play our first pre-season game in Shepparton, and another in Lismore. I know that this is good for the people in those centres, and it's consistent with our "community engagement" philosophy, but in my eyes the contrast in the ambition of the two Melbourne clubs could not be more starkly demonstrated.

• Like 2

I don't think there's much more similarities between Heart and the Wanderers than the fact that we were both the second club to be created in our respective cities.

Besides the differences in the geography of our cities, Western Sydney had 2 key advantages:

- On the pitch, the FFA gave the Wanderers 6 VISA spots (instead of 5), AND the FFA bankrolled a marquee for them with Shinji Ono

- Off the pitch, Western Sydney is Australia's 'biggest soccer-playing area' with had the highest participation rate of football in Australia (that is, more kids play football there than anywhere else). Official statistics show that there are '90,000 players in the region [of Western Sydney] - 20 percent of players nationally' (http://rs.442.com.au/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=70577)

The fact is, a club in Western Sydney was always going to work, as long as the club wasn't a complete mess.

Melbourne Heart doesn't have those advantages, but I reckon over time Heart will inevitably have a big presence in Melbourne, much more bigger than what it has now, if only because of 2 long term trends: the growth of football in Australia, and demographic changes around Australia, and in cities like Melbourne in particular.

The only question, as far as I'm concerned, is how quickly Melbourne Heart grows. And overall, I think Heart is making enough correct decisions to grow the club quite quickly.

• Like 1

Guys, I think that there are some awesome posts here and some very good points.

Peter, I totally agree with you on the notion that success breeds success. and if the club wants to grow it does have to show ambition. just saying that WSW can do what they because they have a natural divide, etc., is to take nothing from how they have set themselves and looking for the lessons from their good and bad.

but I do thoroughly agree with jw1739 and Murfy1 too; we do have to focus on our environment and our settings. the club has to take what others do and find the elements that do work but works well for our challenges. i do appreciate that the club has kept its finances in check and haven't gone broke trying to outspend the tards. ultimately the club and the brand will need to develop and grow in a way to build a solid core supporter base - not just go for the quick buck and quick / easy come easy go supporters.

i do find jw1739's point a fascinating one tho; there's only one team in Australia this year playing a big foreign club and their getting 90,000 to the game. it really puts into perspective what they have done in the past by getting other sizeable clubs; Celtic, Fulham, Juventus, etc, they have done a great job to build their preseason games and this is by far the biggest and best yet from a club perspective (as opposed to the All Star game being FFA endorsed).

surely if Heart to grow and prosper then at some stage the club needs to get games like this. remember, the tards haven't gotten this game straight away, they have been steadily building to it. what's seriously stopping the Heart starting smaller and building from there?

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1