Melbourne Football

Has our CEO reached his 'use-by date'?

jw1739

I'm beginning to think that the head that has to roll is that of the CEO. So many mistakes and sloppiness in administration coupled with the performance of the football department lead me to think that the current incumbent is not the man to lead us forward.

This is not unusual in business. Often a good start-up CEO who's good at drumming up business and talking-up prospects etc. is not the right man to take the organization forward once it is faced with the daily grind of simply delivering the promised product. A different kind of approach is required for the latter.

I am of the opinion now that Munn has reached his 'use-by date.'

• Like 1

CEO isnt responsible for the club winning games. The club is doing as well as expected financially, which is pretty much all Munn has to ensure. Not saying that hiring of the Football department isnt his responsibility, but if the football department isnt performing then the CEO needs to intervene.

BOARD > CEO > Football Dept > Coaching staff?

• Like 2

bazzatron, on 05 Apr 2013 - 12:56, said:

CEO isnt responsible for the club winning games. The club is doing as well as expected financially, which is pretty much all Munn has to ensure. Not saying that hiring of the Football department isnt his responsibility, but if the football department isnt performing then the CEO needs to intervene.

I disagree that Munn only has to ensure the club does well financially.

Footballing department is one of the many departments the CEO has oversight in, so its failure does reflect poorly on the CEO as well. Obviously you would be holding the head of the footballing department, JD, accountable before the CEO, but if there are failures in multiple areas (have we hit our membership target this season? Have we broken even? Are we achieving our goals with the community programs we run? etc.) then its time to review the CEO's position.

bazzatron, on 05 Apr 2013 - 12:56, said:

I disagree that Munn only has to ensure the club does well financially.

Footballing department is one of the many departments the CEO has oversight in, so its failure does reflect poorly on the CEO as well. Obviously you would be holding the head of the footballing department, JD, accountable before the CEO, but if there are failures in multiple areas (have we hit our membership target this season? Have we broken even? Are we achieving our goals with the community programs we run? etc.) then its time to review the CEO's position.

Membership target affect our financial goals directly, I thought we were breaking even this year, Community programs have been a success.

How far under the salary cap are we operating? Surely with a bigger budget the football dept could recruit better players. We are probably only breaking even because the board has restricted the budget well below what other clubs are spending on players(i know its not included in the Salary Cap but obviously JA's appointment was a budget conscious decision and it wouldnt be the only decision like this)

My main concern with Munn is his knowledge (or lack of) on Australian Football & the sport in general.

He comes from an AFL background and I am just disappointed that we never went and looked for someone with a bit of know how and experience in the game. Think it will eventually hurt us in the long run.

EDIT - Membership not good enough, crowds stink ATM & we finished 2nd last. :up::clap: .

Munn Out.

Edited by MaliMate

My main concern with Munn is his knowledge (or lack of) on Australian Football & the sport in general.

He comes from an AFL background and I am just disappointed that we never went and looked for someone with a bit of know how and experience in the game. Think it will eventually hurt us in the long run.

EDIT - Membership not good enough, crowds stink ATM & we finished 2nd last. :up::clap: .

Munn Out.

His lack of knowledge isn't too big an issue as he has always appeared to be willing to learn about the game and the culture, as opposed to people in charge at FFA and other clubs who come from different sporting backgrounds who just want to do things they way they did it with their sport

Munn Out.

His lack of knowledge isn't too big an issue as he has always appeared to be willing to learn about the game and the culture, as opposed to people in charge at FFA and other clubs who come from different sporting backgrounds who just want to do things they way they did it with their sport

Fair call. Not doubting his hunger either as he does seem like an ambitious bloke. Just feel that if we had someone with more of a Sokkah background we would be better off for it.

I feel sorry for munn. I bet he just wants to turn around to the media and. fuck we are shit !! but he can't. I feel it we were better on the park then people would be saying that the off field issues are just minor problems.

Perhaps, but it's a package deal.

I think that Munn has done well with the budget but as CEO and the over arching figure-head of the club he will cop the credit and blame. What do they say about leadership being a lonely business?

The problem doesn't lie completely with Scott Munn. Heart has failed to live up to the Ajax styled club promised to supporters going into season 1. If the idea was to run a budget club poaching players from state league teams to sell on to Europe/Asia then that is what we should have been told. At the moment Melbourne Heart looks like a park side.

Obviously supporters won't put up with more of what happened this season.

I hope Scott Munn comes out and delivers the blue print for the future. I am sure I am not the only one waiting to hear it.

Would you rather Scott Munn or Ben Buckley as your CEO? Just curious....

preferably someone who knows a bit about football and how a football club should be run

Strong ambiguous answer to a clear question, could rival Scott Morrison...

I can totally understand where this idea of sacking Scott Munn comes from but who could we feasibly replace him with that would neccasarily do a different or better job? Frankly i think he's one of the club's successes.