Melbourne Football

Inter Milan

Tbitm

INTER Milan is on the verge of playing a match in Australia this year.

The fixture would be a bonus for soccer fans before Manchester United meets an A-League All Stars side in Sydney in July.

The Advertiser has seen official documents indicating Inter may play a friendly in Australia on May 25 or 26, or June 1 or 2.

But the match will not be played in Adelaide because of the state's soccer stadium dilemma.

Hindmarsh's capacity is too small, Football Park is not FIFA compliant and Adelaide Oval isn't ready to host first-class soccer.

Melbourne is in the box seat, given the city has reportedly knocked back an opportunity to host Manchester United's potential second match in Australia this year.

Melbourne Heart chief executive Scott Munn said his club had been approached to host high-profile Inter.

"We have had contact with regards to Inter Milan but nothing has been set in concrete," Munn said.

The Italian giant will not confirm its Australian tour until April 18.

The side, which features Argentinian stars Javier Zanetti, Diego Milito and Esteban Cambiasso, Italian striker Antonio Cassano and Japan's Yuto Nagatomo, will be forced to cancel any plans for the Australian tour if it makes the final of the TIM Coppa Italia.

Inter faces AS Roma in the second leg of the Coppa Italia on April 17 at Stadio Giuseppe Meazza in Milan.

Roma is leading the tie 2-1 after victory in Rome. The winner will face Lazio in the final on May 28.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/inter-milan-eyes-aussie-friendly/story-fnddhv0x-1226608701625

• Like 1

Explains why Munn was in Milan earlier this year?

I thought it was reported that he was met with AC?

I can't remember.

Anyway, I don't care a stuff about these sorts of matches. If I can choose between having a good season in the League and some sort of exhibition match, then the former gets my vote. Every time, irrespective of who the visitors are.

Inter Milan? Decent, will bring a big crowd and hype for our club. Will also be good opposition to play against in the Pre Season.

Now instead of just having these guys come out and playing a match, there is a million things to do that will generate support for us from the people of Melbourne that will no doubt want to spectate this match. 

There's an italian population in Melbourne??

People also say theres an Asian population but honestly i can't remember seeing 1 Asian in Melbourne Come to St. Albans one day

Gotta love St. Albans, cheap food and drugs around the place.

The board should look into this, screw all this healthy food, just give them chinese, its cheap and can be tasty. Drugs to help the performance of the team. Board is happy because they save some money and break even haha

This is a great way to divert from the rubbish season we just had... Release a ridicules story like this a week before the finals start...

This shows me the club has no idea who their supporters are...

Melbourne Heart you are not fooling me!!

Well, the others seem to have a match lined up against Liverpool.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/date-set-for-victory-clash-with-liverpool-20130402-2h53e.html

Whilst I don't rate these games for the football, the PR that games like this and v Celtic only give the others a greater stronghold on the public perception that they are a big club with big ideas and big friends.

Heart need something like a game against Inter to re-ignite the public interest. Oh, and to announce that as a part of allowing Inter the privilege of playing us we have been given Dejan Stankovic and Walter Samual to play for a couple of seasons just to sweeten the deal.

• Like 1

Well, the others seem to have a match lined up against Liverpool.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/date-set-for-victory-clash-with-liverpool-20130402-2h53e.html

Whilst I don't rate these games for the football, the PR that games like this and v Celtic only give the others a greater stronghold on the public perception that they are a big club with big ideas and big friends.

Heart need something like a game against Inter to re-ignite the public interest. Oh, and to announce that as a part of allowing Inter the privilege of playing us we have been given Dejan Stankovic and Walter Samual to play for a couple of seasons just to sweeten the deal.

LOL, maybe we should turn this into a race of extremes. One Melbourne club gunning to be the biggest and the other to be the smallest little fart on the planet.

Well tweet Munny and tell him to have it at AAMI park or risk people not attending (incl myself) and having a 1/5 full stadium at an oval shaped ground.

Why would you miss a Heart game due to it be held at a crap venue in Melbourne?

I have attended all of Hearts away games at Etihad but having to pay $100 for a half decent seat for a friendly game at an oval shaped ground I cannot justify.