Melbourne Football

Potential A-league signings

heart_fan10

The Club also confirms the signing of goalkeeper Tando Velaphi to a one-season deal.

An agile shot stopper, Aloisi believes Velaphi is the ideal back-up keeper to compliment established first-choice ‘keeper Andrew Redmayne.

“We had a number of ‘possibles’ on trial and all the coaches agreed Tando is in all respects the best option,” Aloisi said.

“He is the best goalkeeper in Australia not currently with an A-League deal, an excellent professional and his chemistry with Andrew Redmayne is superb, so it is a great fit.”

I like the strong emphasis in this statement about Redmayne being our no. 1 keeper. I'm not thrilled with Tando, and though I personally would have preferred one of the other options (though not necessarily Bray), he should be sufficient as a backup GK.

Also, there's this at the end of the article, which is possibly a hint about 2 of our final 3 signings being internationals:

Melbourne Heart now has 20 squad members contracted for the 2013-14 season, with three spots remaining, including two international places. 

Tando is only on a one-season deal, so IMO we'll see another reserve GK in 2014-15. IIRC Bray is eligible for one more year with the NYL (if he's happy to take it).

• Like 1

The Club also confirms the signing of goalkeeper Tando Velaphi to a one-season deal.

An agile shot stopper, Aloisi believes Velaphi is the ideal back-up keeper to compliment established first-choice ‘keeper Andrew Redmayne.

“We had a number of ‘possibles’ on trial and all the coaches agreed Tando is in all respects the best option,” Aloisi said.

“He is the best goalkeeper in Australia not currently with an A-League deal, an excellent professional and his chemistry with Andrew Redmayne is superb, so it is a great fit.”

I like the strong emphasis in this statement about Redmayne being our no. 1 keeper. I'm not thrilled with Tando, and though I personally would have preferred one of the other options (though not necessarily Bray), he should be sufficient as a backup GK.

Also, there's this at the end of the article, which is possibly a hint about 2 of our final 3 signings being internationals:

Melbourne Heart now has 20 squad members contracted for the 2013-14 season, with three spots remaining, including two international places. 

Tando is only on a one-season deal, so IMO we'll see another reserve GK in 2014-15. IIRC Bray is eligible for one more year with the NYL (if he's happy to take it).

the plan probably is keep Bray in the NYL so he gets game time, then fuck off tando at the end of the season

.... unles he gets to play and has the same poor ball distribution that he had last season and during his time at Perth (when it didn't really matter as long as he could kick)

He'll put Redders under the pump to perform. That's more than you can ask for from a backup keeper.

Two good signings. Only been disappointed with Hoffman out of all our signings so far.

And for me Mcallister was a bit disappointing, but hey, what's done is done

Macallister is a good squad player though imo, handy to have a big aerial threat come off the bench to help kill off games and he doesn't seem to mind not being a first team regular which always helps in regards to inflated egos and team morale etc.

Was probably close to M.O.M against Victory in the first game last season, he's not flashy but he's dependable.

...that said, I can't see any value in Captain Hoff

Edited by Nate
  • Like 1

The Velaphi signing is what it is.

Given the reports that Crystal Palace are tabling an offer around the $1mil for Mark Milligan, I would like the Club to consider an approach to Mile Jedinak as the Aussie Marquee spot. Hard nosed DM and would bring back that Shroj predicability of being able to get a yellow card regularly.

Hasn't Jedinak signed a deal that keeps him at the palace for the next four years or so? Expensive transfer fee. He won't come though, having just captained his team to the premier league, a boyhood dream for him I guess. Would be stupid to come to heart, as staying at palace will give him the best chance of securing a spot in the World Cup

McKay would be epic! Imagine this:

------------------- Redmayne -------------------

Walker --- Gerhardt --- Weilhart --- Behich

-------------Germano -------- McKay ---------

Dugandzic ---------------------------- Ramsay

-------------- Kewell ------- Mebrahtu --------

Bench: Williams, Murdocca, Kalmar, Vrankovic, Velaphi.

I would actually be supremely confident with lineup like that. Not to mention, we'd still have a marquee spot to fill presumably. If we signed a CF, you'd almost lock in a top 2 finish. 

Edited by morphine

McKay would be epic! Imagine this:

------------------- Redmayne -------------------

Walker --- Gerhardt --- Weilhart --- Behich

-------------Germano -------- McKay ---------

Dugandzic ---------------------------- Ramsay

-------------- Kewell ------- Mebrahtu --------

Bench: Williams, Murdocca, Kalmar, Vrankovic, Velaphi.

I would actually be supremely confident with lineup like that. Not to mention, we'd still have a marquee spot to fill presumably. If we signed a CF, you'd almost lock in a top 2 finish. 

Would swap Germano out for Murdocca but otherwise pretty much!

Nice to see a bit of depth too.

• Like 2

Given the reports that Crystal Palace are tabling an offer around the $1mil for Mark Milligan, I would like the Club to consider an approach to Mile Jedinak as the Aussie Marquee spot. Hard nosed DM and would bring back that Shroj predicability of being able to get a yellow card regularly.

brilliant

McKay will head back to Brisbane as their Australian marquee, had been talk about a marquee midfield signing earlier in the week.

Jedinak 100% no chance to leave Palace, he's loved by the fans and is one of few genuine quality players on their books.

True, although I just took a peep at the Brisbane forum and a few of them are suggesting the possibility of him linking up with Ange again at the Victards although I would have thought they'd have enough midfielders/left-backs.

I still feel as though we'll end up signing Garcia on as our Aussie marquee though, then we've got room for two quality internationals with one fitting inside the cap (you'd think we'd have enough room) and the other being a marquee  :up:

Really don't see why we are talking about Matt McKay. I think football wise we all know what his priorities are for the next 12 months. The World Cup. The best way to achieve that is playing consistent football for the next year doing what his doing and maintain his strangle hold as the countries number 1 LB.

I don't McKay would be interested in any audacious move into the middle of the park. I think it's all about a solid year at a strong club as their LB.

Honestly, with Ramsay now Behich back do we really need Matt McKay? No thanks.

The Velaphi signing is what it is.

Yeh i heard he was gutted about being promoted to the Premier league apparently he's just dead keen to come play in the A-league again 

• Like 6

According to the Heart website, these 4 players who played last night are trialing with the club:

Phil Petreski (T)

Ross Archibald (T)

Rashid Mahazi (T)

Paulo Retre (T)

T= Triallist

From: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Heart-prevail-41-in-Shepparton/71394

It doesn't say what sort of contracts they are trialing to get.

they're basically all competing for 1 last spot since 2 spots will be filled by visa players. Looks even more likely that either one of them will be signed if the club is still negotiating with garcia.

I think they're all still eligible to play in the youth team, so they'll most likely be signed for that unless another a-league club offers them a senior contract. Although it wouldn't surprise me to see either one of those guys given a chance to play in the seniors throughout the season