Melbourne Football

Potential A-league signings

heart_fan10

Patrick Kisnorbo in melbourne. Interesting

Would go off my chops if we signed him, hopefully he's in Melbourne to sign a contract and not just to return home! As I said in another thread, I think there will be one or more announcements on Wednesday as after both recent Australia matches, we've unveiled memberships, kewell and weilaert the day after them

Patrick Kisnorbo in melbourne. Interesting

Would go off my chops if we signed him, hopefully he's in Melbourne to sign a contract and not just to return home! As I said in another thread, I think there will be one or more announcements on Wednesday as after both recent Australia matches, we've unveiled memberships, kewell and weilaert the day after them

... with us.

Nick Ward is going to start training with us, hoping to get a contract. Sigh.

How does a professional football team have hoffman and ward on the books and expect to be taken seriously.

Hoffman is still relatively young and could turn into an ok player. But Ward is just an old washed up hack. Please No.

I'm trying to get an idea of how many more signings we're likely to make. From what I can tell, we currently have 17 players signed up:

Redmayne

Vrankovic

Walker

Murdocca

Ramsay

Kewell

Kalmar

Dugandzic

Williams

Mebrahtu

Macallister

Hoffman

Mauk

Garuccio

Gerhardt*

Germano*

Wielaert*

So if that's correct, we need to sign between 3 to 6 more players, which can include 2 internationals. One needs to be a 'keeper. Still 2 marquee spots available. And no announcement has been made about Garcia. If we do the same thing as last year, we might leave one or two spots free to be able to bring in players during the season.

The other thing is, from the players we've let go, (Fred, Bolton, Thompson, Colosimo, Tadic...), we must have plenty of salary cap space left. To get a squad capable of challenging for a title, I believe we need to make at least two or three quality signings still. And given that the club seems to be budgeting for a marquee, plus plenty of salary cap room (from what we can guess), I would imagine we can expect at least two very good quality signings to come. Well I hope so anyway. There's always the fear that the remaining announcements will be a couple of unknown internationals and a 30-something clubless journeyman.

Edited by Sash

I'm trying to get an idea of how many more signings we're likely to make. From what I can tell, we currently have 17 players signed up:

Redmayne

Vrankovic

Walker

Murdocca

Ramsay

Kewell

Kalmar

Dugandzic

Williams

Mebrahtu

Macallister

Hoffman

Mauk

Garuccio

Gerhardt*

Germano*

Wielaert*

So if that's correct, we need to sign between 3 to 6 more players, which can include 2 internationals. One needs to be a 'keeper. Still 2 marquee spots available. And no announcement has been made about Garcia. If we do the same thing as last year, we might leave one or two spots free to be able to bring in players during the season.

The other thing is, from the players we've let go, (Fred, Bolton, Thompson, Colosimo, Tadic...), we must have plenty of salary cap space left. To get a squad capable of challenging for a title, I believe we need to make at least two or three quality signings still. And given that the club seems to be budgeting for a marquee, plus plenty of salary cap room (from what we can guess), I would imagine we can expect at least two very good quality signings to come. Well I hope so anyway. There's always the fear that the remaining announcements will be a couple of unknown internationals and a 30-something clubless journeyman.

Sash, I think you've missed Mitchinson. He's signed for the seniors. Making 18, leaving 3-5 signings to be made, including two visa players and a GK as you say.

The rest of your post is spot on. Without some real quality in the remaining signings IMO we are unlikely to be strong enough or consistent enough to be a challenger for the premiership.

So after counting 1 more GK, we have 1 to 4 outfield positions left to be filled. Which positions do we need more players for? IMO, a striker is the most important signing that we still have to make. Ideally a quality, proven international striker. Then another DM, as we only have Murdocca & Germano. I still hold out some hope for Garcia, as surely if another club was close to signing him there would have been some media report or rumour on social media. If we can sign a DM as good or better than Garcia though I don't really mind.

Then after that I'd like to see us re-sign Taseski. I also reckon the club would like to leave one spot free, but if another useful signing could be made than I'd rather the club just used up that spot.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

If Garcia doesn't stay, or isn't in the salary cap (possibly marquee) I don't see how with that current list, we'd be anywhere near even meeting the minimum required salary cap. Who in there would be earning big money??

Important point that's frequently overlooked.

I would guess Williams would be the highest paid on that list.

If Garcia doesn't stay, or isn't in the salary cap (possibly marquee) I don't see how with that current list, we'd be anywhere near even meeting the minimum required salary cap. Who in there would be earning big money??

International players (unless they are marquees) are included in the salary cap, aren't they? Wielaert and Gerhardt both might earn a decent amount.

But the club should be able to fit a lot of good, and possibly expensive, signings under the salary cap, given that clubs are allowed 3 exemptions from the cap. Those exemptions are also generally the most expensive signings: international marquee, Australian marquee and junior marquee.

The salary cap shouldn't really get in the way. Just look at Sydney FC! If you know what you're doing, you can spend a lot regardless of the salary cap.

Edited by Murfy1

I really hope we fill these remaining 4 outfield positions and arent planning on leaving a any free like last season, it didnt work. Who are we going to sign in January to turn our season around that can't be a guest stint or injury replacement?

IMO we need a player for extra coverage in 5 positions (not incl GK) a CF, AM, DM, CB & LB

So I guess we all hope the we finish the squad with a Decent Marquee & another quality final visa player.

And our remaining two australian player to be 2 of either Kisnorbo, Garcia or another Aus marquee depending on where we need covered.

There'd be so much more flexibility if Roffman didn't get another year, but probably less cap space.

Anyway next 2 weeks should be interesting as more names get thrown about.

International players (unless they are marquees) are included in the salary cap, aren't they? Wielaert and Gerhardt both might earn a decent amount.

But the club should be able to fit a lot of good, and possibly expensive, signings under the salary cap, given that clubs are allowed 3 exemptions from the cap. Those exemptions are also generally the most expensive signings: international marquee, Australian marquee and junior marquee.

The salary cap shouldn't really get in the way. Just look at Sydney FC! If you know what you're doing, you can spend a lot regardless of the salary cap.

Murf, you are absolutely correct.

The salary cap applies to the whole senior squad (minimum 21, maximum 23). There's also a minimum that must be paid, which from memory is 85% of the cap.

Three players are allowed to be paid outside the cap. International marquee, Australian Marquee and Junior marquee. I think there's a limit to the wage of the Junior ($150,000 from memory), but the other two can be paid as much as the club wants to fork out. That's what Bling FC and MV are doing.

• Like 1

So after counting 1 more GK, we have 1 to 4 outfield positions left to be filled. Which positions do we need more players for? IMO, a striker is the most important signing that we still have to make. Ideally a quality, proven international striker. Then another DM, as we only have Murdocca & Germano. I still hold out some hope for Garcia, as surely if another club was close to signing him there would have been some media report or rumour on social media. If we can sign a DM as good or better than Garcia though I don't really mind.

Then after that I'd like to see us re-sign Taseski. I also reckon the club would like to leave one spot free, but if another useful signing could be made than I'd rather the club just used up that spot.

Gerhadt as you'd know is a DM being played as a CB.  Now that we have a new CB, plus Vrankovic, Gerhadt could play DM.  

I'd like to see a genuine creative midfielder which I don't think Harry Cool is.

And a striker. I though Tadic should have been kept in view of the rubbish midfield service he received.

Would love to see Tasevski take one of the last local spots.

With the potential for a glut of midfielders, would anyone be surprised if we played 3 at the back? I wouldn't.

As to names being thrown around, wasn't it mentioned that JA spoke to 7 players in Europe. We know of Wieleart, Holt, maybe Jarosik, but who else?

I cannot say if this was true or not, i would hope we spoke to more tbh, but unless we got 3 main targets early then there was no need, and they are just drip feeding us so as to extend exposure over the long off season, which i think is very likely. 

Gerhadt as you'd know is a DM being played as a CB.  Now that we have a new CB, plus Vrankovic, Gerhadt could play DM.  

I'd like to see a genuine creative midfielder which I don't think Harry Cool is.

And a striker. I though Tadic should have been kept in view of the rubbish midfield service he received.

It wasn't an issue of keeping Tadic or not. He didn't want to stay.

Edited by jw1739

Lewis Italiano has been signed by Wellington.

Bray's chances of getting the gig have increased dramatically I'd reckon, Just hope we don't look at Velaphi, wouldn't mind Matt Nash he looked really good at the Jets once he got some training and games under his belt.

We know the club offered over a Million to get Holt so its fair to say that we will probably be securing a Striker better than Tadic.

I just want a player in heart shirt to finally score a hatrick tbh.

I just want a player in a Heart shirt to finally score 10 goals or more in one season!

I just want a player in a Heart shirt to not have Hoffman written across the back

I jusst want Hoffman to score a hattrick!

• Like 1