Melbourne Football

City in the headlines

millm103

With the comical season we've had so far I also reckon the guy in the clown suit is actually Aloisi finally dressed in his proper game day uniform. Might see this new kit of his make an appearance at future games.

I'd like yo see Foxe in that clown suit sit next to JA at AAMI stadium on game day. That would kind of make a statement about our last year and a half. Great water cooler talk no doubt.

Heart reveals fan-designed third kit

11 December 2013

Melbourne Heart has today revealed the winning entry of its fan-designed alternative third kit for the 2013-2014 season, manufactured by the club's kit sponsor, Kappa, and sponsored by MatchWorks.

Unveiled by Melbourne Heart FC captain Harry Kewell and defender Patrick Kisnorbo, the competition has stimulated interest across Melbourne Heart's fan base and on social media since the competition was launched in September.

Melbourne Heart will don the unique kit for the club's landmark 100th A-League match in Round 15 against the Newcastle Jets on Friday 17 January 2014 at AAMI Park.

The winning entry from 2012 incorporated an unprecedented digital initiative - which was a first for the A-League and other sporting codes in Australia – in which the club displayed players' Twitter handles on the back of the third kit for an 'interactive match', played against Perth Glory.

This season, the winning entry will feature the names of more than 5,000 Melbourne Heart members (who signed up before Friday 20 September, 2013).

"It looks good and it's good that the fans have their names on the shirts, which contributes to the club and hopefully it can be our lucky strip," Kisnorbo said.

Kappa produced this season's winning entry, designed by one of the club's Ace of Hearts members, Domenic Stephen, which primarily utilises the club's red and white colour palate.

Domenic, 28, said his design moved away from the charcoal gray designs of the competition's previous winning entries (2011 and 2012).

"It was my intention to return to the club's colours without using stripes, sashes and/or hoops as part of my design," Domenic said.

"I also noted that Melbourne Heart's opponent would be Newcastle Jets, a club with dark home and away kits; therefore a lighter design would avoid a clash.

"I've received a lot of support for my design from so many people since I posted it [on social media] in early September but didn't think that my design would be considered, let alone win.

"I can't wait to see the boys wearing it in January."

By Tony Tannous @ http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/12/11/assessing-each-a-league-team-a-third-of-the-season-in/

"Melbourne Heart: Weilaert and Mifsud need to step up

Robbie Wielaert was meant to be the new Patrick Zwaanswijk, but so far has been anything but, looking like another Patrick Gerhardt at this stage.

Indeed, so poor has the central defender been, I’ve been surprised that John Aloisi has stuck by him so long.

To be fair, Wielaert missed his central defensive partner Patrick Kisnorbo for a few weeks and we got a glimpse on Saturday night at Wanderland that if they can string a few games together, their might be some hope for the Heart defence.

This was by far their most assured defensive effort since the opening couple of rounds.

Indeed, there were even some signs of functionality in the front third, although Aloisi needs Michael Mifsud to start hitting the back if the net and those around him to be more consistent.

I speak of the likes if Iain Ramsey, David Williams, Golgol Mebrahtu and Mate Dugandzic, who all continue to be up and down.

Little doubt Aloisi has missed Orlando Engelaar, with the midfield at times looking non-existent, despite Mass Murdocca and Andrea Migliorini trying hard.

While Harry Kewell is back, Wielaert and Mifsud, as foreigners, will need to step-up if the Heart are to climb the ladder. Aloisi might also be looking to strengthen his midfield."

Now imagine if Weilaert and Paddy K looked up and saw Ono or Mooy or even Harry in the middle asking for the ball. Imagine the extra confidence they'd have passing the ball to them knwoing that something constructive would occur and they wouldn't immediately have the ball turned over and being pounced upon by the opposition. We can only hope    :soon:

Edited by HEARTinator

Do my eyes and ears deceive Me ? 

Home for an Hour and MHFC have been mentioned on two separate channels !!

Is the Biased based Media finally realising it is not just Visitors representing Melbourne in the A League ?

Or, is this the so called Hype that we have been waiting on since the signature of cotton wool boy HK ?

Either way it was as surprising as it was pleasing 

By Tony Tannous @ http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/12/11/assessing-each-a-league-team-a-third-of-the-season-in/

"Melbourne Heart: Weilaert and Mifsud need to step up

Robbie Wielaert was meant to be the new Patrick Zwaanswijk, but so far has been anything but, looking like another Patrick Gerhardt at this stage.

Indeed, so poor has the central defender been, I’ve been surprised that John Aloisi has stuck by him so long.

To be fair, Wielaert missed his central defensive partner Patrick Kisnorbo for a few weeks and we got a glimpse on Saturday night at Wanderland that if they can string a few games together, their might be some hope for the Heart defence.

This was by far their most assured defensive effort since the opening couple of rounds.

Indeed, there were even some signs of functionality in the front third, although Aloisi needs Michael Mifsud to start hitting the back if the net and those around him to be more consistent.

I speak of the likes if Iain Ramsey, David Williams, Golgol Mebrahtu and Mate Dugandzic, who all continue to be up and down.

Little doubt Aloisi has missed Orlando Engelaar, with the midfield at times looking non-existent, despite Mass Murdocca and Andrea Migliorini trying hard.

While Harry Kewell is back, Wielaert and Mifsud, as foreigners, will need to step-up if the Heart are to climb the ladder. Aloisi might also be looking to strengthen his midfield."

Now imagine if Weilaert and Paddy K looked up and saw Ono or Mooy or even Harry in the middle asking for the ball. Imagine the extra confidence they'd have passing the ball to them knwoing that something constructive would occur and they wouldn't immediately have the ball turned over and being pounced upon by the opposition. We can only hope    :soon:

Or looks up and sees Engelaar next year and plays the dreaded long ball.....OH wait...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__b-PFrh9T8

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 3

By Tony Tannous @ http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/12/11/assessing-each-a-league-team-a-third-of-the-season-in/  "Melbourne Heart: Weilaert and Mifsud need to step upRobbie Wielaert was meant to be the new Patrick Zwaanswijk, but so far has been anything but, looking like another Patrick Gerhardt at this stage.Indeed, so poor has the central defender been, I’ve been surprised that John Aloisi has stuck by him so long. To be fair, Wielaert missed his central defensive partner Patrick Kisnorbo for a few weeks and we got a glimpse on Saturday night at Wanderland that if they can string a few games together, their might be some hope for the Heart defence. This was by far their most assured defensive effort since the opening couple of rounds. Indeed, there were even some signs of functionality in the front third, although Aloisi needs Michael Mifsud to start hitting the back if the net and those around him to be more consistent. I speak of the likes if Iain Ramsey, David Williams, Golgol Mebrahtu and Mate Dugandzic, who all continue to be up and down. Little doubt Aloisi has missed Orlando Engelaar, with the midfield at times looking non-existent, despite Mass Murdocca and Andrea Migliorini trying hard. While Harry Kewell is back, Wielaert and Mifsud, as foreigners, will need to step-up if the Heart are to climb the ladder. Aloisi might also be looking to strengthen his midfield." ______________________________________________ Now imagine if Weilaert and Paddy K looked up and saw Ono or Mooy or even Harry in the middle asking for the ball. Imagine the extra confidence they'd have passing the ball to them knwoing that something constructive would occur and they wouldn't immediately have the ball turned over and being pounced upon by the opposition. We can only hope    :soon:

Or looks up and sees Engelaar next year and plays the dreaded long ball.....OH wait... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__b-PFrh9T8

Hahaha, will take that kind of result every time tho :)

Not strictly a Heart story (although Adrian Zahra features indirectly) but worth sating the obvious anyway

Kevin Muscat named football's dirtiest player

muscat_leadwide-20131212133938373245-620

Kevin Muscat (right) argues with Jacob Burns of the Glory argue during a match in 2010. Photo: Getty Images

Spain might be relishing the prospect of playing Australia in the 2014 FIFA World Cup and that might have just as much to do with the fact Kevin Muscat has long since retired rather than the gap between their world rankings.

A popular Spanish football website compiled a countdown of the most violent players in the history of the game and the former Melbourne Victory captain was crowned football's dirtiest player.

1_muscat_leadnarrow-20131212132046233701

Kevin Muscat tackles Melbourne Heart's Adrian Zahra. Photo: Fox Sports.

El Gol Digital posted a list of the ten worst offenders of the past and present including Luis Suarez, Roy Keane and the infamous Andoni "The butcher of Bilbao" Goikoetxea but they all paled in comparison to the villainy of Muscat, according to the website.

Advertisement

The now Victory coach first made a name for himself as a hard man in the United Kingdom while playing for Wolves, Crystal Palace, Glasgow Rangers and Millwall but it was the shameful end to his A-League career that earned him this unenviable gong.

Footage of Muscat's vicious tackle on Adrian Zahra in 2011 - which resulted in a career ending suspension - went viral to become his lasting reputation in continental Europe.

The list: 10) Nigel De Jong, The Netherlands, 9) Marco Materazzi, Italy, 8) Mark Van Bommel, The Netherlands, 7) Roy Keane, Republic of Ireland, 6) Gennaro Gattuso, Italy, 5) Luis Suarez, Uruguay, 4) Andoni Goikoetxea, Spain, 3) David Navarro, Spain, 2) Pepe, Portugal/Brazil, 1) Kevin Muscat, Australia.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/kevin-muscat-named-footballs-dirtiest-player-20131212-2z8r4.html#ixzz2nEpWHOLY

Piss off thursday fc. Lucy zelic having a go at yarraside for the sack aloisi chants against adelaide.

How out of touch can she be. And hows them trying to get the 12th mans opinion on it lol, he had to trot out the old "2 steps forward, 1 step back" line regarding football in oz based on that chant, what insight.

Edited by Cinnamon

Piss off thursday fc. Lucy zelic having a go at yarraside for the sack aloisi chants against adelaide.

How out of touch can she be. And hows them trying to get the 12th mans opinion on it lol, he had to trot out the old "2 steps forward, 1 step back" line regarding football in oz based on that chant, what insight. Dont even know why i still bother watching the show.

How out of touch can she be. And hows them trying to get the 12th mans opinion on it lol, he had to trot out the old "2 steps forward, 1 step back" line regarding football in oz based on that chant, what insight.Dont even know why i still bother watching the show.

It's cringeworthy at best

I watched the pilot of Thursday FC, decided it was the worst piece of crap I've ever watched on TV and then have never seen it again.

Tbh I hate it when anyone in the media who doesn't really understand the context of certain circumstances comments on our club, like Brebner the other week when he was banging on about how Aloisi "mightn't have the squad that he wanted" and that there wasn't enough depth and so forth. 

Always riles me up.

• Like 2

What was she saying

She had a go at Yarraside for singing "Your getting sacked in the morning" and all these chants. Used to rate her but that point instantly made me dislike her. I would respect her if she followed a side that has struggled but she has had years to choose a team and then like many others got on the WSW bandwagon. So she has no idea what continuously losing feels like and having mediocrity be dished up to you on and off the pitch. She has no idea. Would still root her but. 

• Like 2

As has been discussed here, for everyone outside of the general MHFC supporters sacking Aloisi would be akin to shooting Bambi.

Even Sam Pang (a victory supporter) got on his high horse a few weeks ago about calls to sack Aloisi because 'he's a friend of the show'

TV shows that are meant to be viewed as light entertainment shouldn't delve into sport politics.

I watched the pilot of Thursday FC, decided it was the worst piece of crap I've ever watched on TV and then have never seen it again.

Tbh I hate it when anyone in the media who doesn't really understand the context of certain circumstances comments on our club, like Brebner the other week when he was banging on about how Aloisi "mightn't have the squad that he wanted" and that there wasn't enough depth and so forth. 

Always riles me up.

My missus wouldn't let me tune the telly onto this show coz she reckons Zdrila is a dimwit. Looks like she was right for once :ph34r:

I work at Bunnings and know fuck all about D.I.Y or tools or anything really so if somebody asks me "oh hey there kiddo, how do I build a house?" I go and send them to an expert who can actually give them a legitimate answer that's backed with years of experience and knowledge.

That's why I'll take the opinion of a Simon Hill or Robbie Slater over a Lucy Zelic or Grant Brebner any day of the week.

I work at Bunnings and know fuck all about D.I.Y or tools or anything really so if somebody asks me "oh hey there kiddo, how do I build a house?" I go and send them to an expert who can actually give them a legitimate answer that's backed with years of experience and knowledge.

That's why I'll take the opinion of a Simon Hill or Robbie Slater over a Lucy Zelic or Grant Brebner any day of the week.

Grant Brebner is a kent and a horrific VPL coach.

That's why I'll take the opinion of a Simon Hill and no one else on Australian Television over a Lucy Zelic or Grant Brebner any day of the week.

Fixed for you :)

A-League Winners and Losers: Brisbane continue to Roar, Reds redemption, Glory debacle

Fox Sport 

December 18, 2013

[...]

LOSERS

The fans

Watching the first 42 minutes of Sydney FC v Melbourne Heart, it was hard not to wonder what else you could be doing with your time. That freshly painted wall looked like a new episode of Breaking Bad in comparison. Let's hope the Melbourne derby offers more entertainment.

Simon Hill was there to witness it: "The first half was a total snoozefest - thank God for Alessandro Del Piero, who woke everyone up with that moment of magic."

Sydney FC are doing really well to be picking up points while not playing at their best - a stark contrast to previous seasons. But don't let it paper over the cracks. There's still work to be done - particularly with the speed and energy of the side's play.

Harry Kewell

Nobody here is calling Harry Kewell a loser - but that penalty will live long in the memory as one of football's greatest stinkers. Australia's greatest ever football had the chance to drag his embattled team back into the contest against Sydney FC and he got it more wrong than anyone thought possible.

"And Harry's penalty … I was staggered he could hit a penalty so badly," Hill added.

John Aloisi

The Melbourne Heart coach is in a unique position of managing the worst team in the competition but still commanding the respect of all those in the game.

Aloisi's standing in Australian football means he will always be granted a degree of leeway - but sympathy won't get Heart very far. What it needs is goals and Aloisi's players seem incapable of hitting the target, even with a free shot on goal.

"John Aloisi is fuming," Brenton Speed said on the Fox Football podcast. "He would bury those chances during his playing days overseas. What's going on with the Melbourne Heart in front of goal? Is Aloisi just thinking 'well, they'll just score that because I would have scored that.'?"

If Michael Mifsud can cash in on a couple more of his openings, who knows where Heart would be. They always rise for a derby - there couldn't be a better stage to re-charge them.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/aleague-winners-and-losers-brisbane-continue-to-roar-reds-redemption-glory-debacle/story-fnk9a3dc-1226785517546

Edited by Murfy1