Melbourne Football

JVS - The coach from the land of chronic

Heart Fanatic

Yep, JVS and JD left for Manchester on Tuesday, as reported here:

Coach John van’t Schip and football manager John Didulica depart for Manchester on Tuesday to discuss plans for next season with City’s football department, including manager Manuel Pellegrini, technical director Txiki Begiristain and academy director Brain Marwood.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-hearts-new-owners-to-decide-on-clubs-name-colours-in-coming-months/story-fnk6pqhd-1226882811410

JVS also said this last week about the trip:

"We're going to go to Manchester next week and we're going to have talks there," he said. 

"I'm going to stay there for two weeks, watch games, talk with the management and then we'll discuss all those kind of things," he added, referring to new signings and possible contract extensions. 

"There will be changes throughout the club but what they're going to be I don't know exactly. It's not my thing, I have to focus on the squad and the balance of the players. And trying to get the right players in. 

"It's not going to be a massive change of a whole lot of players.

"We have to have a good look now in the coming months to add players and quality we think can lift the whole team and also the players we have and then go for the next step." 

http://www.sportal.com.au/football/a-league/say-goodbye-to-melbourne-heart-as-we-know-it/1jj8804yno8aw1oahmij9vqo8w

Hopefully there's an update soon, in particular one that mentions loans, as that's something that's really not been reported on so far (it has been reported that NYCFC could get up to 4 players on loan, but there's been zero reporting on any or how many players Heart might get on loan).

The trip of Jason Kreis (the NYCFC coach) to Manchester has got a fair bit of reporting (e.g. www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwnklazhoy0), so hopefully and presumably we'll hear something soon. 

Edited by Murfy1

Not that CFG enjoy sacking people.. Despite fans demanding it at times :lol:

No, they got their "end of season evaluations" that probably involves "benchmarking performance metrics" at some point.

In other words, you´d better win some games JvS or they might decide that you are "unable to take this club any further"

I have no doubt whatsoever that JvS will not last long if he doesn't deliver improvement next season. IMO the excuses for our poor performances have been trotted out far too frequently over the past four seasons. Our finish to this season was pathetic, and IMO JvS just has to visibly show more urgency and commitment to winning than in the past. I don't think I really want to hear "we have a lot of work to do" or "we can take some positives and work on those" ever again.

JD ... probably the luckiest bloke going around, all things considered

I am undecided on JD. Whether he has been good for us or not really depends on the criteria and constraints that the board gave him in regards to recruitment. That is something we will never know. We can more accurately judge him based on the fact that he know has adequate resources to get it right.

I think both JD and munn are very good at their jobs. I dare say the previous owners had everyone having to run on empty and I think that hamstrung everyone. JVS and JD next season I would expect, is going to have a lot more support like a full time technical director based in Melbourne great medical staff etc, where as it seems under the previous board they had nothing had had to do everything. Also I beleive JD was

Offered a top job somewhere at the FFA and turned it down to stay at the club.

I am undecided on JD. Whether he has been good for us or not really depends on the criteria and constraints that the board gave him in regards to recruitment. That is something we will never know. We can more accurately judge him based on the fact that he know has adequate resources to get it right.

This is my opinion. We really lack a lot of information when it comes to judging JD, in particular how significant were the financial (and other) constraints place upon his recruitment. Also, especially over the past 2 seasons, who was more influential when it came to recruitment, John Aloisi or John Didulica? It's rather difficult to know.

One big tick JD deserves is the recruitment of Aaron Mooy. Multiple other A-League clubs were offering to make him their marquee, and somehow, whilst Heart were nailed to the bottom of the ladder, and the future of the club looked pretty bleak, Heart managed to sign Mooy from WSW without using the Australian marquee spot. Aloisi had just been moved on, and JVS had only been there a week or two, so Didulica must have been mostly responsible for recruiting Mooy to Heart on a multi-season deal.

Also it is correct that Didulica made the shortlist of 2 candidates to take up the big job of the FFA's Head of National Teams.

I agree that we'll really see what JD can do if he says at Heart and gets to work for a club with proper resources. If he does stay, I'm fairly optimistic that he'll do a good job.

...yep, one day scouting the likes of Mifsud (probably via YouTube) under the instruct of JA on a runaway train heading for disaster, and the next, a part of the City team, working with the football elite of the world, scouting some of the best young talent in the world (that have already been scouted so you know they are good) in some of the best facilities in the world ... as I said, lucky

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 1

I think it is very hard to judge JD's work so far when we do consider all the factors at play.

I'm the first to admit that I have questioned his ability in his roles for a while based on his track record, however, some very good points have been raised that put it all into perspective.

The real test is next season for all involved. Will JVS and JD be up to the task when the CFG pressure is on? Will be interesting to see.

• Like 1

Yes, I too think he's lucky in the sense that often new owners come in and have a bit of a clean-out just to put their stamp on things, and people get tipped out whatever their contribution happened to be.

JVS is a fine tactical coach. The big problem is the club culture and this needs both JVS and the club management to do some serious work to change. This problem has been there since season 1 and JVS was a part of the problem. Hopefully he and the new management will become a part of the solution

I also think it got to a point where finals where inconceivable and he looked to the future and couldn't give any fucks about the current season, looking to the future, playing Mauk, Garrucio, Archibald and starting Tando, which I think is a ploy to drive Redders to lift his game and build some fire in him.

I first saw this idea when we handed out multiple starts to Mifsud.... 

Very interesting little tweet from JVS:

On my way to #GoodinsonPark to watch #EvtvManU but first in a #liverpoolpub watching #NorLiv

(https://twitter.com/johnvantschip7/status/457859181970989056)

Seems a little strange for a coach of Man City's newest club to go to a Man U game. Perhaps he went to watch Gareth Barry, who reportedly might become the New York City FC marquee next season (http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/everton-transfer-news-gareth-barry-3378307), and with Australian media (Davutovic) saying it is very likely that Heart could get a Man City/New York City player on a guest stint next season, perhaps we could be seeing Barry come to Australia for 10 games next season.

Yeah I'm not saying it's a certainty to happen. But still JVS is only abroad from Australia for 2 weeks or less, so it could be thought that he doesn't have the time to spend days or half-days doing things not related to work.

And it was reported in Australia rather recently that "There's every chance that one of their [New York City FC's] big name signings ends up coming here to Melbourne Heart on a guest stint for the start of the season".

Also, the NYCFC director of football Claudio Reyna has said recently "there is the opportunity to sign some players and, if we can, send them out on loans to other clubs [until we start]" (http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/03/21/new-york-city-fc-mum-player-rumors-interest-remains-high-around-world).

It's also interesting how few players have been linked with New York City. Apart from the speculative link to Xavi several weeks ago, which may now be completely impossible with the transfer ban on Barcelona, only Gareth Barry and Martin Demichelis have been linked with NYCFC. And lets face it, Man City wouldn't bank on the 'star power' of Demichelis to boost the profile of City's new clubs. So whilst I'm sure that there will be more names dropped in association with NYCFC, Barry does seem to be shaping up to be a rather plausible possibility (one could also say that Everton could have a tough time trying to secure him permanently if the club doesn't get a Champions League spot). 

So yes it's a bit of speculation on my part, but more of an educated guess than just a normal guess as well.

Yeah I'm not saying it's a certainty to happen. But still JVS is only abroad from Australia for 2 weeks or less, so it could be thought that he doesn't have the time to spend days or half-days doing things not related to work.

And it was reported in Australia rather recently that "There's every chance that one of their [New York City FC's] big name signings ends up coming here to Melbourne Heart on a guest stint for the start of the season".

Also, the NYCFC director of football Claudio Reyna has said recently "there is the opportunity to sign some players and, if we can, send them out on loans to other clubs [until we start]" (http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/03/21/new-york-city-fc-mum-player-rumors-interest-remains-high-around-world).

It's also interesting how few players have been linked with New York City. Apart from the speculative link to Xavi several weeks ago, which may now be completely impossible with the transfer ban on Barcelona, only Gareth Barry and Martin Demichelis have been linked with NYCFC. And lets face it, Man City wouldn't bank on the 'star power' of Demichelis to boost the profile of City's new clubs. So whilst I'm sure that there will be more names dropped in association with NYCFC, Barry does seem to be shaping up to be a rather plausible possibility (one could also say that Everton could have a tough time trying to secure him permanently if the club doesn't get a Champions League spot). 

So yes it's a bit of speculation on my part, but more of an educated guess than just a normal guess as well.

The only thing is that Barry is out of contract at the end of the season and will be a free agent.

I am sure Everton will make him an offer.

Barca are only banned from buying players. Also, I am sure that will be appealed and they will be free to sign players until the appeal is heard.

Also maybe Xavi is out of contract as well. I am not sure about that though.

The only thing is that Barry is out of contract at the end of the season and will be a free agent.

I am sure Everton will make him an offer.

Barca are only banned from buying players. Also, I am sure that will be appealed and they will be free to sign players until the appeal is heard.

Also maybe Xavi is out of contract as well. I am not sure about that though.

It will be interesting with Barry. I expect that Everton will just miss out on a Champions League spot, which would give Everton much less money to work with for summer signings, which would probably mean that Barry would have to accept much lower wages to sign with Everton (as reported here. It's been reported here that Barry would have his wages halved if he went to Everton, whereas if he went to New York City FC he'd likely still get 100,000 pounds a week, like he gets now). Also, how long a contract could 33 year old Barry get with Everton, as compared with NYCFC, and could he be sure he'd regularly play and start with Everton next season and beyond (esp. when compared with NYCFC, where he'd always start and play)?

I'm really not sure what will happen with Barry, and it will be interesting to see what he decides.

I originally thought the ban was on both buying and selling players, but after reading a bit more it does seem that the ban in only on buying (not impressive work by the media. Very few media outlets specified that only buying was prohibited, and most seemed to say that selling was also banned when the news broke).

The appeal will be interesting. It would go against the spirit of the ruling if the ban was temporarily suspended, which would make the ban in the first place rather pointless. Also, I've read that the appeal to FIFA's Appeal Committee could well fail in the next few weeks, and then Barcelona would have to try their luck by appealing to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. So there may be no reprieve. 

And if the ban stands, I don't think Barcelona will be keen to sell any players that could be considered useful, as they wouldn't be able to bring in any replacements. That could also jeopardise the move of Lionel Messi  ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just putting it out there because I don't think it's been mentioned, jvs being groomed for a bigger role with city in the future.....? Assistant at man city, New York etc head coach possibly?? Any thoughts....

if he does well in Melbourne anything is possible, I do think he has the potential to manage in  a big league one day.

Just putting it out there because I don't think it's been mentioned, jvs being groomed for a bigger role with city in the future.....? Assistant at man city, New York etc head coach possibly?? Any thoughts....

if he does well in Melbourne anything is possible, I do think he has the potential to manage in  a big league one day.

He's going to have to deliver. In a sense, the job gets harder for him the better the players are at his disposal, because the expectations rise also. If we have two marquees plus Villa and Duff all in the same team he will have nowhere to hide if we don't get the results.

He's going to have to deliver. In a sense, the job gets harder for him the better the players are at his disposal, because the expectations rise also. If we have two marquees plus Villa and Duff all in the same team he will have nowhere to hide if we don't get the results.

...and it's also going to take time to get all these guns gelling together.

So whilst I can't wait to see them all playing together and hope they fire from day one, it wouldn't surprise me to see it take a few weeks before we really start humming. Hard as it will be, I think we may have to lower our expectations - at least initially.

The quicker this happens, the better it will look for JVS...

...and it's also going to take time to get all these guns gelling together.

So whilst I can't wait to see them all playing together and hope they fire from day one, it wouldn't surprise me to see it take a few weeks before we really start humming. Hard as it will be, I think we may have to lower our expectations - at least initially.

The quicker this happens, the better it will look for JVS...

I agree things might take a little time to click, especially if (or since) we are going to play team-based possession football.

The same problem of the team having insufficient time to gel was a key problem in our first season. Important players like Skoko, Beauchamp and Terra only joined the team 5-6 weeks before our round 1 match against CCM, with them playing their first match against Everton then. As Clint Bolton said a day before the match against CCM, pre-season was "less than ideal", and "to be honest, another couple of weeks would have probably helped us to nail down the style of football John wants".

Also injuries wrecked havoc with the team, with Shroj, Sarkies and Aloisi being unfit for selection from game 1, and stretching a good while into the season. And Skoko got injured for several weeks after just the first 2 games.

Given that, in retrospect, it can probably be said that the team didn't have that much talent overall, and having a short pre-season without the whole team ended up really troubling our season.

So I'm hoping that we can get all of our team training together by July, including our marquees. That should allow the team to hit the ground running by round 1, and with the squad we're building I think there's good chance that we could lay the foundation for a successful season after several good matches to start the season.

The better the players the quicker they gel as a team..

I also fully agree with this. But still, we should have a good pre-season with the whole team. And since some players like Villa won't be around for the whole season, it is really worthwhile to make sure that any short term signings like Villa are fully settled into the team, so they can be in top gear for the 10 matches they play.

Edited by Murfy1

• 1 month later...

Melbourne Heart coach John van’t Schip calls for boycott of 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia

JACQUELINE MAGNAY IN AMSTERDAM

JULY 21, 2014

THE current head coach of Melbourne Heart [sic] football club, John van’t Schip has suggested a boycott of the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia following the downing of the Malaysia Airlines flight MH17.

The former Dutch international and Ajax player was clearly angry at the devastation wrought upon his home country, which lost 192 people and his new home, Australia, which lost dozens of citizens and residents.

It is the first public call for action, after the Dutch were utterly stunned at the sheer extent of their losses, which included whole families — three in one town of Hilversum — and a family of six in Neerkant. It also follows increasing angst about the disrespect shown to the victims and their possessions by the rebel soldiers in the area.

This morning Van’t Schip called on the Dutch government, FIFA and the KNVB to boycott in a Dutch message on his Twitter feed.

It had an immediate response with the idea re-tweeted more than 3000 times in an hour.

The message said: “I say call KNVB, Dutch government and FIFA to boycott!”.

He added hashtags referencing FIFA, the world cup 2018 and MH17.

Ik zeg oproep aan @KNVB Ned. Regering en #FIFA om #WK2018 in Rusland te #boycotten!! #MH017

https://twitter.com/johnvantschip7/status/490763050287640576

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-coach-john-vant-schip-calls-for-boycott-of-2018-fifa-world-cup-in-russia/story-fnii0fc4-1226996404615

Edited by Murfy1

• 2 weeks later...

so now that we pretty much know the make up of the squad, and JVS is no stranger to the A-league, he has ahd time to and the best pre-season we ahve ever had, what do people see this guy's KPI's?

For me its about three things: results, results and results.

And I would be assessing this as the season progresses.

I would not indulge JVS in waiting for an and end of year review.

1. 8 week review: we must be top half ie 5th or better.  Anything less, and I would expect the blow torch applied to him.

2.  Mid season top 4

3.  End of season: Top 4 finish after H and A.  Finals: one finals win.