Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

I'm not so convinced with Scotty Mac. Been a while since he had a good season

Not to mention his shoking socceroos form.

Although he would probably do quite well in the aleague

Seems to be quite common that folks still have this patronising attitude towards the A League. Doesn't matter if you've had shit form for years, you'll still do well in the A League.

Those suggesting Scott McDonald hasn't been good for "years" need to look up the statistics.

McDonald's been a prolific goal-scorer in Europe between 2004 and 2013. First he played for Motherwell between 2004 and 2007 and scored 42 goals over 108 matches for them (picking up the Motherwell FC Supporters Player of the Year award in 2004-05), then he played for Celtic between 2007 and 2010 and scored 51 goals over 88 matches for them (being the SPL top scorer in 2007-08 with 25 goals, 10 more goals than the 2nd highest scorer), and recently McDonald played for Middlesbrough in the Championship between 2010 and 2013, scoring a goal every 3 games with 37 goals over 116 matches.

His last season with Millwall is clearly an aberration, and far from the norm for him.

Given that the likes of Archie Thompson and Alex Brosque have been considered worthy of Australian marquee spots, I have no doubt that McDonald would be a cut above them, and he'd have little trouble scoring in the A-League (and BTW, he's a threat in the air and can score headers, despite his height. Given the leagues he's played in he could not afford to be a bad header of the ball). Don't straw-man me and say I'm criticising the A-league in any way, I'm not at all. Rather I'm pointing out McDonald's impressive scoring record in Europe over a decade. 

I reckon too many people dismiss McDonald just because he misfired in the Socceroos, where most Australians have probably only seen McDonald play. That's unfortunate, because he's been a very accomplished club striker in Europe for so many years, and based on his stats it stands to reason that a fit 30 year old striker like him would much more likely star in the A-League than underwhelm.

A final point. It's relative who would be a good Australian marquee, and who would be a very good one. There's only so many Australian players out there, so who would clearly be better than McDonald? Personally it's my opinion that Kennedy and McDonald are probably the best options out there, and now I'm not so keen on a 34 year old midfielder like Bresciano. If there are candidates out there for the Australian marquee besides them that are better, it would be interesting to hear who they are.

• Like 2

Those suggesting Scott McDonald hasn't been good for "years" need to look up the statistics.

McDonald's been a prolific goal-scorer in Europe between 2004 and 2013. First he played for Motherwell between 2004 and 2007 and scored 42 goals over 108 matches for them (picking up the Motherwell FC Supporters Player of the Year award in 2004-05), then he played for Celtic between 2007 and 2010 and scored 51 goals over 88 matches for them (being the SPL top scorer in 2007-08 with 25 goals, 10 more goals than the 2nd highest scorer), and recently McDonald played for Middlesbrough in the Championship between 2010 and 2013, scoring a goal every 3 games with 37 goals over 116 matches.

His last season with Millwall is clearly an aberration, and far from the norm for him.

Given that the likes of Archie Thompson and Alex Brosque have been considered worthy of Australian marquee spots, I have no doubt that McDonald would be a cut above them, and he'd have little trouble scoring in the A-League (and BTW, he's a threat in the air and can score headers, despite his height. Given the leagues he's played in he could not afford to be a bad header of the ball). Don't straw-man me and say I'm criticising the A-league in any way, I'm not at all. Rather I'm pointing out McDonald's impressive scoring record in Europe over a decade. 

I reckon too many people dismiss McDonald just because he misfired in the Socceroos, where most Australians have probably only seen McDonald play. That's unfortunate, because he's been a very accomplished club striker in Europe for so many years, and based on his stats it stands to reason that a fit 30 year old striker like him would much more likely star in the A-League than underwhelm.

A final point. It's relative who would be a good Australian marquee, and who would be a very good one. There's only so many Australian players out there, so who would clearly be better than McDonald? Personally it's my opinion that Kennedy and McDonald are probably the best options out there, and now I'm not so keen on a 34 year old midfielder like Bresciano. If there are candidates out there for the Australian marquee besides them that are better, it would be interesting to hear who they are.

Agreed. I don't know too much as to why last season was so bad for him hopefully it was more formation than anything else.

He 'failed' for the Socceroos because of the (stupid) systems of a lone striker (same reason Viduka failed to score).

• Like 1

My biggest problem with Scott McDonald is that he looks too much like Mifsud for my liking. But I think he'll have a better chance of scoring here.

And if you're right murfy that he's on a high wage, milwall might let him go for free since he's just gonna eat up the wage bill by staying there. I'm guessing they're already looking for a new striker.

He's probably just not up to championship level anymore, but given his record I think he will do well in the a-league. Would still rather kennedy, but I'd prefer McDonald over Bresciano.

Although a far inferior player than Villa, having McDonald take over after David has left would lead to a smoother transition of playing style than having to adapt to a different style of striker, like Josh Kennedy for example.

I remember seeing him at the height of his powers with Celtic in 2008/09 (a fond memory being McDonald winning an Old Firm game for Celtic and watching on with some Glasgow boys at an Irish pub in Berlin), so I'll always go in to bat for Scotty Mac. And if he harbours any serious ambitions of adding to his international caps, you'd imagine that there's few better places for him to be right now.

• Like 1

Spotted this on the membership site under City Class:

The City Class membership takes football entertainment to another level. You will have access to exclusive level 2 seating with live music and gourmet finger food, and even a signed strip from our quality marquee signing

This probably tells us they have someone lined up already and it won't be someone who is quality but a bit of a no name with casual football supporters. I wouldn't be suprised if it does end up being Lampard. 

Our last two signings have directly rectified the two problems we have never been able to solve at the same time.

1. Having a player who can score goals.

2. Having a player who provides regular opportunities to score goals.

With Duff and our incoming marquee midfielder feeding Villa for 10 games - I can realistically see him scoring 15-20 goals in 10 games and will be putting $50 on him to win the golden boot.

Really exciting stuff. Can't wait for the marquees to come.

• Like 3

Xavi or Lampard

Will take either.

- Lampard might be better because he's probably better known in Australia.

- Xavi might be better because he's probably better... The Aston Martin or the Lambogini?!? You wouldn't be disappointed either way.

I would consider Xavi to be a Rolls Royce nationality aside,

Time tested, classy without being too flashy or egotistical, and durable.

• Like 1

Xavi or Lampard

Will take either.

- Lampard might be better because he's probably better known in Australia.

- Xavi might be better because he's probably better... The Aston Martin or the Lambogini?!? You wouldn't be disappointed either way.

I would consider Xavi to be a Rolls Royce nationality aside,

Time tested, classy without being too flashy or egotistical, and durable.

Well if they were based on nationality, Xavi would not be Lamborghini.

I was not suggesting his Celtic days were bad (he was a machine for them) but that was a while ago

Of course the simplest thing for our international marquee would be a player already on ManC's books, say one of their up-and-coming players who doesn't quite yet make the EPL team. He simply moves from ManC to MelC. Any transfer fee is just Sheikh Mansour paying himself, and the wages bill at MelC can be the same as at ManC since it's the sheikh paying the bill in both cases, and in terms of the salary cap the player is a marquee and the wages can be any figure you like to name. Then after his spell at MelC he's back to ManC, with the sheikh again paying himself the transfer fee.

A permanent never-ending supply of marquee players...

Who said there wasn't a pot of gold at the end of the skyblue rainbow...?

Of course the simplest thing for our international marquee would be a player already on ManC's books, say one of their up-and-coming players who doesn't quite yet make the EPL team. He simply moves from ManC to MelC. Any transfer fee is just Sheikh Mansour paying himself, and the wages bill at MelC can be the same as at ManC since it's the sheikh paying the bill in both cases, and in terms of the salary cap the player is a marquee and the wages can be any figure you like to name. Then after his spell at MelC he's back to ManC, with the sheikh again paying himself the transfer fee.

Makes sense. This would be a wise strategy. We now have crowd pulling players (we finally have our wish). Now we need a younger attacking midfielder who can supply and boss the game (broich) to compliment our Australian marquee. Btw - Scott McDonald is my preference, but some of the present day socceroos would be an option. money brings power and finally we have both.

Makes sense. This would be a wise strategy. We now have crowd pulling players (we finally have our wish). Now we need a younger attacking midfielder who can supply and boss the game (broich) to compliment our Australian marquee. Btw - Scott McDonald is my preference, but some of the present day socceroos would be an option. money brings power and finally we have both.

May be a long shot but a drogba or eto'o as a forward marquee international option? Unless I'm oblivious to them both being snatched up?