Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Joey Barton /thread.

Would give my left nut for him.

Leadership, winning mentality, enforcer, doesn't take bullshit or squib efforts, will stir headlines in the paper and probably scissor kick Archie Thompson in the face in a derby. Most of our players would be scared to not put in 100%.

That ontop of being the best midfielder in the league by a mile.

Definition of a marquee.

Give him the captains armband too.

Sign him FFS.

Edited by Melburnian
  • Like 4

Joey Barton /thread.

Leadership, winning mentality, enforcer, doesn't take bullshit or squib efforts, will stir headlines in the paper and probably scissor kick Archie Thompson in the face in a derby. Most of our players would be scared to not put in 100%.

Definition of a marquee.

Sign him FFS.But will he stay out of gaol for long enough :)

Joey Barton /thread.

Definition of a marquee.

Sign him FFS. But will he stay out of gaol for long enough :)

He's a changed man. Family man.

The only thing is he loves for his opinion to be heard and a lot. But for a club like us, this is perfect. He would make us headline news.

I can't see a more perfect fit as a marquee to be honest. For a club trying to establish itself and wanting a hard edge and for a club devoid of leadership, Joey Barton is the man.

• Like 1

With the relative success of Shinji, Japan is a very viable option in regards to pursuing our marquee man. Pre-2002 world cup, Football in Japan was only the beginning, yards behind baseball. Post-2002, its arguable that football has caught up, or even slightly overtaken baseball in certain aspects. The thing is Shinji has the hunger to grow the game here in Australia, and I'm sure other Japanese players around the same as Shinji would see the A-League as a very interesting and attractive challenge.

Inamoto, Endo, K. Nakamura, S. Nakamura are all somewhat realistic options, with the persuasion of Shinji. The big plus with the two Nakas is that both of them can speak english to a certain extent. Shunsuke with his time at Celtic and I believe Kengo even has a degree in English iirc. More notably both Inamoto and Shunsuke have proven themselves in Europe.

In regards to the crowd pulling factor, I'm well aware the Japanese community is Melbourne is very small compared to Sydney, but I'm confident they will provide a bigger catchment then just the small Japanese expatriate community. The Chinese that don't live in China are especially not fond of the PRC and the Japanese prejudice doesn't really translate down under. The target audience wouldn't just be limited to the Japanese but the asian community as a whole.

No way to sign a Japanese player. I am a oversea student from China. Follow MHFC from the first derby. Sign any Japanese marquee would hurt me as a two-year member. I would like have a famous Chinese player like Li Weifeng who played for Everton and Suwon Samsung, 34 years old but still quality(way better than colosimo). Pretty sure he comes out of contract next summer, but we still get chance to have him this winter. Don 't forget AXF(one of our sponsors) is a real estate agency targets chinese community market! Signing a Japanese marquee would not attract Chinese or South Korean to the game! If we got a famous Chinese player, when we facing WSW at home, Chinese against Japanese would help to improve the rivalry between us and WSW! Win-win! Trust me, Sun Jihai(played for Man City) and Li Weifeng are out of contract at end of 2013. Although they are old, still quality to play a-league and I promise to bring 10-20 Chinese mate to the game.

• Like 3

With the relative success of Shinji, Japan is a very viable option in regards to pursuing our marquee man. Pre-2002 world cup, Football in Japan was only the beginning, yards behind baseball. Post-2002, its arguable that football has caught up, or even slightly overtaken baseball in certain aspects. The thing is Shinji has the hunger to grow the game here in Australia, and I'm sure other Japanese players around the same as Shinji would see the A-League as a very interesting and attractive challenge.

Inamoto, Endo, K. Nakamura, S. Nakamura are all somewhat realistic options, with the persuasion of Shinji. The big plus with the two Nakas is that both of them can speak english to a certain extent. Shunsuke with his time at Celtic and I believe Kengo even has a degree in English iirc. More notably both Inamoto and Shunsuke have proven themselves in Europe.

In regards to the crowd pulling factor, I'm well aware the Japanese community is Melbourne is very small compared to Sydney, but I'm confident they will provide a bigger catchment then just the small Japanese expatriate community. The Chinese that don't live in China are especially not fond of the PRC and the Japanese prejudice doesn't really translate down under. The target audience wouldn't just be limited to the Japanese but the asian community as a whole.

No way to sign a Japanese player. I am a oversea student from China. Follow MHFC from the first derby. Sign any Japanese marquee would hurt me as a two-year member. I would like have a famous Chinese player like Li Weifeng who played for Everton and Suwon Samsung, 34 years old but still quality(way better than colosimo). Pretty sure he comes out of contract next summer, but we still get chance to have him this winter. Don 't forget AXF(one of our sponsors) is a real estate agency targets chinese community market! Signing a Japanese marquee would not attract Chinese or South Korean to the game! If we got a famous Chinese player, when we facing WSW at home, Chinese against Japanese would help to improve the rivalry between us and WSW! Win-win! Trust me, Sun Jihai(played for Man City) and Li Weifeng are out of contract at end of 2013. Although they are old, still quality to play a-league and I promise to bring 10-20 Chinese mate to the game.

Bring them and more anyway mate. 

Bring them and more anyway mate. 

I attend every home game when I'm in Melbourne and away derby. Each game I bring at least one. If we get famous Chinese in our team, there will be a hot topic in Weibo (Chinese Twitter) and guys would love to attend game to support Chinese player. Plz, don't sign Japanese

I have Winston Reid in my FIFA13 team. He's a bit average, but then again, so is my team.

Surely taking the piss lol No, really. CB in a 3-4-3 with a quick FB playing in front of him as DM cover.

I'm saying surely taking the piss by suggesting him. Could honestly give you over 10 reasons why he is never going to play for us

Tom Hitzlsperger, Javier Saviola, Milan Jovanovic, David Pizzaro, Jaoquin, Tiago Mendes.

None play for thier respective contries anymore, so chances imediatly increase...

As for Aussies, I'd only really like to see a local lad, Scotty Mac is out of contract, Bresch and Kennedy are still pushing for the WC so they would probably off limit for 12 months or so.

• Like 1

Would give my left leg for us to sign Hitzlsperger. Not a big name but has over 60 international games for Germany and give us an absolute driving force in the midfield that we've never had. Would absolutely dominate the league. Laughing at the thought of cunts like Celeski, Burns and McGlinchey trying to get the ball of him.

Genuinely think this guy would be our best option for a marquee. Very smart guy - could double up as our clubs accountant and chief of finance too. Would make a great captain.

Not to mention getting frozen out at Lazio for being antifa :wub: can Braveheart confirm?

Edited by marteaux
  • Like 1

I'm liking the thought of Thomas Hitzlsperger, would be an absolute general in the midfield to say the least. I'm sure he'd have a few spectacular strikes up his sleeve too. If we have a marquee, we have to make him a worthwhile one. I'm not sure if he'd attract too many non-football people but fans of domestic and international football leagues certainly know who he is. 

I'd be open to an Italian too, could really turn Lygon Street into Heart territory.

I'd be open to an Italian too, could really turn Lygon Street into Heart territory.

As someone who both supports a local Italian club and lives in the Inner North, I gather by making such a statement you know next to nothing about MVFC's Italian supporter base.

Edited by cadete

Not a Marquee but is Stephen Appiah still not contracted to a club? If so he is a defensive midfielder (which we've been looking for all season), and he can not possibly be as bad as Meeuwis. Pretty good footballer IMO was always decent in Italy and was pretty good for Fernerbache. 

A marquee isn't a silver-bullet. A football club can still have issues even when they have a respectable marquee, as Sydney and Newcastle showed by failing to make the finals this season. But I reckon a real marquee can do big things for a club, if they fit the club and don't bankrupt the club.

It's hard to find a proper marquee, a player with a respectably big name, who'll come play in the A-League for a million or two compared with the many millions they made in Europe. But here are some players that represent the type of player I reckon Heart should pursue. Some are much more possible than others. They are all midfielders, because the midfield is the area I reckon Heart could improve most in.

Giorgos Karagounis

Club history and appearances (with goals in brackets): 1996-1998 Appollon Smyrni 55 (9), 1998- 2003 Panathinaikos 118 (25), 2003-2005 Internazionale 21 (0), 2005-2007 Benfica 45 (3), 2007-2012 Panathinaikos 133 (16), 2012- Fulham 18 (1) (wiki

Contract: signed with Fulham until the end of the season

Transfermarkt's estimation of market value: 1,000,000 euros (link

Other info: He captained Greece at the last World Cup.

Mark van Bommel

Club history and appearances (with goals in brackets): 1992-1999 Fortuna Sittard 153 (13), 1999-2005 PSV 169 (46), 2005-2006 Barcelona 24 (2), 2006-2011 Bayern Munich 123 (11), 2011-2012 Milan 39 (0), 2012- PSV 21 (3) (wiki)

Contract: signed with PSV until the end of the season

Transfermarkt's estimation of market value: 800,000 euros (link)

Other info: First non-German champion to win the German championship title with Bayern Munich. Has captained the Netherlands

Tiago Mendes 

Club history and appearances (with goals in brackets): 1999-2002 Braga 62 (4), 2002-2004 Benfica 75 (19), 2004-2005 Chelsea 34 (4), 2005-2007 Lyon 56 (10), 2007-2011 Juventus 42 (0), 2010-2011 Athletico Madrid [loan] 49 (6), 2011- Athletico Madrid 43 (2) (wiki)

Contract: signed with Athletico Madrid until the end of the season

Transfermarkt's estimation of market value: 3,500,000 euros

There is a rumour on twitter that Heart is contemplating Ronaldinho (who comes off contract before the next A-League season), who could make an unbelievably good marquee. Also Lou Sticca, the agent instrumental in bringing Del Piero to Sydney, tweeted late march that "i will go on record now, I will do whatever I can to get Pirlo to A-League. Have to, no choice, he is just magical". Pirlo, of course, would be incredible.

One point is that once Heart have decided that a particular marquee could do big things for the club, they have to pursue him despite all the naysaying. Next to nobody thought Del Piero would come to Sydney Fc, until it happened. We signed Sibon as our international marquee in season one, and despite how useful he was he wasn't marquee material. When it comes to marquees, it is always better to think too big than too small.

A marquee isn't crucial. But a successful marquee would turbocharge Heart, and if we can sign one I reckon we should.

Antonio di Natale. Would absolutely rape A-League defences. Also a great man with more integrity in his little toe than Colosimo would have in his whole body. An ideal candidate to be the face of our club and our marquee player.

http://www.football-italia.net/31627/di-natale-will-consider-quitting

He could play with stilts and smash every goal scoring chart ever created in this league.... but could he be bothered?

di-natale-meme.jpg

etc etc...

Edited by nicotera5
  • Like 1

Ronaldinho is the only decent suggestion in this thread.

IIRC His agent approached sydney fc in 2010 asking for $2mil... FOR ONE GAME. Raul is the best suggestion in this thread. I meant to say this page. Raul and Ronaldinho are the only players that would turn heads. Edited by Jimmy

I meant

IIRC His agent approached sydney fc in 2010 asking for $2mil... FOR ONE GAME. Raul is the best suggestion in this thread. I meant to say this page. Raul and Ronaldinho are the only players that would turn heads.

And Barton.

• Like 1

I meant

IIRC His agent approached sydney fc in 2010 asking for $2mil... FOR ONE GAME. Raul is the best suggestion in this thread.I meant to say this page. Raul and Ronaldinho are the only players that would turn heads. And Barton.

He's the underrated name on here.

Would be magnificent.

With the troubles he is going through now in France, could be a good time to strike!