Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

I'm sure he'll be a great signing if we can pull it off.

Also I like very much to read that Marwood is involved with this type of signing and that we're using the knowledge of Manchester City's staff in our search for our "big" players.

I got to say if this is our big marque I'm going to be disappointed.
Koren may well turn out to be a good player but NYCFC are getting Villa, Lampard and (maybe) Xavi. I don't expect to get someone of their quality but Koren is not a well known name (I follow the Premier league to a degree and I've never heard of him) and is not going to bring any extra support to the team. I would have expected either a Champions League level player at the end of their career or a younger player who didn't quite make it all the way to the top.

1. CFG has always said that expenditure at Melbourne City would reflect the circumstances of a club in the A-League. The NYCFC franchise in the MLS cost $100m, our franchise cost $10m. Expenditures are likely to reflect that difference.

2. Txiki Begiristain also made it clear from the start that our marquees would be "big players" rather than just "big names" seeking just that one final pay-cheque.

• Like 3

Koren may well turn out to be a good player but NYCFC are getting Villa, Lampard and (maybe) Xavi. I don't expect to get someone of their quality but Koren is not a well known name (I follow the Premier league to a degree and I've never heard of him) and is not going to bring any extra support to the team. I would have expected either a Champions League level player at the end of their career or a younger player who didn't quite make it all the way to the top.

Engelaar wasnt a huge name like the lines you are thinking along but look at the impact he made.

Have faith (no George Michael)

Koren's definitely not a no-name although it's understandable you haven't heard of him as he played for Hull and West Brom which aren't exactly powerhouse clubs. He scored for Slovenia at the World Cup in 2010 though so he's no slouch.

For me i was hoping for a drogba or lampard type of name, with city being able to provide cash for marquees, if it wasn't the massive profile player i was atleast then hoping for the lesser star but at around 28 years old like bryan ruiz or sessegnon (30). Koren what we should of been getting the previous seasons if we weren't tight. Still a good player but all we can do is hope he tears it apart if he comes

Least he should be available to do 2 months of pre-season with us.

Would be so disappointing if he flopped, if this was the previous owners marquee I think we'd be even harsher.

Possibly, although with the previous owners the mention of having a marquee would be extrordinary

As I said ont he Koren thread....I believe he will be a very good player for you.

You can have as much cash as you like but it is very difficult to attract players to the A League.

I believe the league needs to grow a bit more and hopefully bring more teams into it before you can attract players like the MLS are now doing.

It all takes time and hopefully with the involvement of CFG this will accelerate people's interest.

Tim Cahill is making an announcement tomorrow?? 

Surely not!

If so... pounditupdated.gif

He recorded a video announcement (from his home gym), pictures on his instagram. 

But having a look at the headlines about him (from google search) Red Bull NY have offered him to two epl teams. So that would be the likely scenario... on the other hand, you never know!!!!

At the start of the off season my ideal marquee was Tomas Rosicky and in Koren i see we have an A-League budget version of him. He fits the bill of the style of marquee I've always wanted, of course not of the profile but he's still exciting.

As Marquee it's underwhelming with what City brings. He'll probably be on a tenth of what Lampard and Villa will be receiving at the big sister.

But with Koren, Duff, Mooy, Villa, an Aus marquee and another visa to be signed the squads a big improvement, and is the most exciting we've had to support! Ol' mate Munn said there were a couple of exciting names, Koren seems to be the first and now we eagerly await the next! :) If only we had a couple of decent full backs and keeper.

And with lampard set to be announced in the next 24 hours officially for NY we might get some clarity on if we'll see him here or not. If the FFA are willing to put funds behind Cahill coming to the league I don't understand what they'd have against Lampard being loaned as 5th visa till January. It'd be as big for the league... But I guess we aren't Sydney.

Edited by billyheart
  • Like 1

Tim Cahill is making an announcement tomorrow?? 

Surely not!

If so... pounditupdated.gif

He recorded a video announcement (from his home gym), pictures on his instagram. 

But having a look at the headlines about him (from google search) Red Bull NY have offered him to two epl teams. So that would be the likely scenario... on the other hand, you never know!!!!

QPR

Ronaldinho is a free agent. Bring in the buck toothed beast.

South American Football - Ronaldinho to reveal next port of call after leaving Atletico Mineiro Atletico Mineiro and Ronaldinho have parted company after agreeing to terminate his contract with immediate effect.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

1286372-27720184-2560-1440.jpg

View photo

Ronaldinho

The amicable split came following a meeting between the 34-year-old, his agent and brother Roberto de Assis and club president Alexandre Kalil.

De Assis said Ronaldinho and Kalil will give a joint press conference on Wednesday when the player's future plans will be revealed.

"He will play until he's 42! He will reveal his future destination on Wednesday," said De Assis, according to the Globo Esporte website.

Ronaldinho has been heavily linked with a move to Argentine giants Boca Juniors in recent days.

The 34-year-old has been identified as a potential replacement for Juan Roman Riquelme who left the club last week to join Argentinos Juniors.

A more fanciful rumour earlier in the summer linked the two FIFA World Player of the Year with Premier League outfit Stoke City.

Other reports have touted the MLS as a destination, while Brazilian club Fluminense are reportedly interested in taking him on.

The former Barcelona and AC Milan midfielder Ronaldinho joined Atletico in June 2012 and won the Libertadores Cup with them a year later, the first time he or they had lifted South America's biggest club trophy.

However, their title defence was a disappointment and they were knocked out in the last 16 by Colombian side Atlético Nacional.

They are also only 10th in the Brazilian League table, although the tight nature of the league means they are just five points off the leaders.

However, Ronaldinho has figured little this season due to a combination of poor form and injury.

"I can't call on Ronaldinho anymore," Atletico Mineiro coach Levir Culpi told SporTV. "His cycle with us has ended.

"It's unfortunate because he's an idol to all of us. Everyone loves his football, the way he plays and he's a very charismatic person.

"But that's the way it goes. He's leaving and we must move on without him."

Ronaldinho won 97 caps for Brazil, winning the World Cup in 2002, but was not part of the squad that competed on home soil this summer.

One can dream.

• Like 1

A-LEAGUE clubs have already made moves to bring World Cup winner Ronaldinho to Australia, Manchester United’s Arutro Vidal pursuit is all but dead and Liverpool continues its chase for a Luis Suarez replacement. This is Rumour Mill.

Aussie clubs chasing Ronaldinho

Brazil World Cup winner Ronaldinho is on the market and A-League clubs have already shown interest in bringing him Down Under.

The former Barcelona superstar - a two time FIFA World Player of the Year - parted company with Brazilian club Atletico Mineiro overnight, prompting interest from clubs around the world, including Australia.

Player agent Lou Sticca - the man who helped bring Alessandro Del Piero to Sydney FC - confirmed the wheels have already been put in motion to lure the 34 year old to Australia.

“Some calls have already been made and now it’s up to A-League clubs to make a play for him,” Sticca told foxsports.com.au.

“Anything’s possible and he’s exactly the sort we should be bringing here.”

Ronaldhino provided plenty of magic moments in his two years in Brazil, and the likes of Argentina giants Boca Juniors, Fluminense and an unidentified MLS side are eager to sign him.

698194-4bb27886-16c5-11e4-85ab-b94874755

Moves have already been made by A-League clubs to bring Ronaldinho to Australia. Source: Getty Images

But Sticca says the Australian lifestyle could appeal to the Samba star.

“It would be a new frontier, he’d love lifestyle and the way fans would respect him,” he said.

“He’s globally recognisable and an entertainer.

698248-aee9899a-16c9-11e4-85ab-b94874755

Ronaldinho of Brazil is the latest superstar linked to a move Down Under. Source: Getty Images

A host of A-League clubs - including Sydney FC, Melbourne City and Western Sydney Wanderers - are yet to sign international marquees for the 2014-2015 season, though City is expected to announce the arrival of Robert Koren in the coming weeks.

Sticca admits it will be tough - but not impossible - for an Australian side to secure Ronaldinho.

“He’s got a raft of representation, layer upon layer. It’s difficult to get to his decision maker and take it from there, but there’s definitely Australian interest,” he said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/premier-league/rumour-mill-aleague-clubs-keen-on-free-agent-ronaldinho-vidal-united-deal-all-but-dead/story-fnko94ia-1227005698724

A-LEAGUE clubs have already made moves to bring World Cup winner Ronaldinho to Australia, Manchester United’s Arutro Vidal pursuit is all but dead and Liverpool continues its chase for a Luis Suarez replacement. This is Rumour Mill.

Aussie clubs chasing Ronaldinho

Brazil World Cup winner Ronaldinho is on the market and A-League clubs have already shown interest in bringing him Down Under.

The former Barcelona superstar - a two time FIFA World Player of the Year - parted company with Brazilian club Atletico Mineiro overnight, prompting interest from clubs around the world, including Australia.

Player agent Lou Sticca - the man who helped bring Alessandro Del Piero to Sydney FC - confirmed the wheels have already been put in motion to lure the 34 year old to Australia.

“Some calls have already been made and now it’s up to A-League clubs to make a play for him,” Sticca told foxsports.com.au.

“Anything’s possible and he’s exactly the sort we should be bringing here.”

Ronaldhino provided plenty of magic moments in his two years in Brazil, and the likes of Argentina giants Boca Juniors, Fluminense and an unidentified MLS side are eager to sign him.

698194-4bb27886-16c5-11e4-85ab-b94874755

Moves have already been made by A-League clubs to bring Ronaldinho to Australia. Source: Getty Images

But Sticca says the Australian lifestyle could appeal to the Samba star.

“It would be a new frontier, he’d love lifestyle and the way fans would respect him,” he said.

“He’s globally recognisable and an entertainer.

698248-aee9899a-16c9-11e4-85ab-b94874755

Ronaldinho of Brazil is the latest superstar linked to a move Down Under. Source: Getty Images

A host of A-League clubs - including Sydney FC, Melbourne City and Western Sydney Wanderers - are yet to sign international marquees for the 2014-2015 season, though City is expected to announce the arrival of Robert Koren in the coming weeks.

Sticca admits it will be tough - but not impossible - for an Australian side to secure Ronaldinho.

“He’s got a raft of representation, layer upon layer. It’s difficult to get to his decision maker and take it from there, but there’s definitely Australian interest,” he said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/premier-league/rumour-mill-aleague-clubs-keen-on-free-agent-ronaldinho-vidal-united-deal-all-but-dead/story-fnko94ia-1227005698724

i thought that brazilian that western sydney have brought is the int marquee for the club?