Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Ray Gatt just tweeted that Victory are negotiating with Karagounis. The Article will be in the Australian after 12pm

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/victory-lures-greek-champion-giorgos-karagounis/story-fn63e0vj-1226660817310

And agree - it's really irrelevant who MV are negotiating with, or any other club for that matter. Our men were in Europe doing just that several weeks ago, but we have yet to see the results other than HK. These things take time.

[Edit] ...and MHFC can't just have a knee-jerk reaction every time someone reads something on Twitter. Clubs are putting out false trails all the time just to lead possible competition off the scent - look what we did with HK.

Edited by jw1739

Ray Gatt just tweeted that Victory are negotiating with Karagounis. The Article will be in the Australian after 12pm

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/victory-lures-greek-champion-giorgos-karagounis/story-fn63e0vj-1226660817310

And agree - it's really irrelevant who MV are negotiating with, or any other club for that matter. Our men were in Europe doing just that several weeks ago, but we have yet to see the results other than HK. These things take time.Says he is considering offers from Panathinaikos and other European clubs. Not sure who, in their right mind would choose the Mongs over any European club.

ADP is 38 and the A-league broke records last season. And we had our biggest attendance vs Sydney.

He rejected Panathinaikos offer overnight. Saw a Tweet from Ray Gatt saying the he spoke to Scott Munn last week and asked if Heart has made an approach. Scoot Munn said that HEART were not interested in Karagounis.

How can you compare ADP with Karagounis? lol

So wrapt were not after him and I cant see how the Tards could afford him with a full squad and a marquee

ADP is 38 and the A-league broke records last season. And we had our biggest attendance vs Sydney.

He rejected Panathinaikos offer overnight. Saw a Tweet from Ray Gatt saying the he spoke to Scott Munn last week and asked if Heart has made an approach. Scoot Munn said that HEART were not interested in Karagounis.

How can you compare ADP with Karagounis? lol

So wrapt were not after him and I cant see how the Tards could afford him with a full squad and a marquee

Not comparing him with ADP. anyway time will tell. Just hope Scott Munn has a masterplan for our Marquee.

Not everyone sees him as a saviour mate.

and who is our Saviour mate? not this old Greek hack that you seem to have some weird fetish for..

Just believe in the club mate, they'll sign someone big enough.

Rofl the guy is a Greek national hero and was Fulhams second best player last season...and yes he is 36.

Karagounis going to victory is a massive kick in the guts to us. You'll see.

• Like 1

Why is Twitter now a reliable news source? We could start a rumour on here with more substance than Twitter

We have several times.

I once faked a tweet from MV and got them to make a public announcement denying it. I won +10 internets that day. 

• Like 3

Relax, He hasn't signed, all the article says is he spoke with Ange. (Supposedly aloisi spoke to many potential players, how many have been signed?) The blokes still in the national team, would be surprised if he came here World Cup year, whilst getting offers for Europe. Especially considering he'd not be on marquee wages because of Flores?

If it turns out though it's another big coup for the league, just a pity it's with them.

Edited by billyheart

HAve to agree with Marteaux. Seems a lot of people on this forum hate Greeks.

What`s opinions got to do with hating Greeks? Comments like this is why the NSL is defunct if your so into Greeks I`m sure South Melbourne/Oakleigh/Bentleigh/Altona East/West Vale/Yarraville will welcome you with open arms :)

:droy:

With us not making up much ground in being Melbourne's second club, a high profile signing, like Karagounis, who can draw crowds is desirable. Someone who appeals to a large demographic (eg Greek or Italian) and has played recently in a top European competition.

Heart needs to compete on the emotional level as well as the playing one if we are to make inroads into the Melbourne market.

• Like 1

For the Visitors to sign Karagounis as a marquee (1, 2) or not (3):

1. Flores is released from his contract
2. Flores steps down as marquee and is fit within the salary cap
3. Karagounis isn't seeking money and is willing to play within the salary cap

Can't see the first two happening to be honest. Reality is, Postecoglou wouldn't have spoken to Karagounis if there wasn't a way of getting him into the team.

Edited by Deluka

Can't see the first two happening to be honest. Reality is, Postecoglou wouldn't have spoken to Karagounis if there wasn't a way of getting him into the team.

Flores has been told to find a new club

Flores has been told to find a new club

Yeah, having posted this, I later saw on fourfourtwo that a lot of people are saying that Flores will be released. Will be interesting to see what happens in the next week. Flores back to Adelaide as a marquee? Would the reds' fans want him back? Interesting times...

PS would take Flores in a heartbeat. He is suffering the same fate that Williams suffers with us. Being played out of position and having creative freedom limited.

Germano - Murdocca

Garcia - Flores - Kewell

Playing behind a capable striker would be phenomenal. If we had kept Babalj or Tadic, either would have fit in perfectly.

Edited by marteaux

I don't hate Greeks, Greek footballers or Greek-Australians, I'm just not of the opinion that Karagounis is the best player that we could be signing as our marquee.

I've followed him as a player, and I'll admit he's not the best player available. But for the a-league he would be very decent. Coming runner up in fulhams best and fairest to berbatov also shows that he's in good form

Even though he's not an amazing player, what he would bring in terms of crowd figures is huge imo. He's probably the only player out there that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to sign but would have a similar impact to ADP in terms of crowd figures (in Melbourne anyway)

95,000 people went to see Australia vs Greece in a friendly at the MCG in 2006. There will definitely be people who would go see him.

He's a smart signing, even if he turns out to be a dud, any Melbourne club could easily justify why they would go after him.

• Like 1

PS would take Flores in a heartbeat. He is suffering the same fate that Williams suffers with us. Being played out of position and having creative freedom limited.

Germano - Murdocca

Garcia - Flores - Kewell

Playing behind a capable striker would be phenomenal. If we had kept Babalj or Tadic, either would have fit in perfectly.

Will top myself if Germano and Murdocca go into the season as our starting defensive midfielders.

Germano - Murdocca

Garcia - Flores - Kewell

Will top myself if Germano and Murdocca go into the season as our starting defensive midfielders.

Also, I wouldn't want ANOTHER ex-Victory player.

We could do much better than Flores anyway I think.

HAve to agree with Marteaux. Seems a lot of people on this forum hate Greeks.

I don't hate Greeks, they just happen to appear in front of my car when i'm driving 

Also, who the fuck cares if we're signing ex-victory players, i couldn't give a fuck who you use to play for, if your the best player available that you can get, you get him. Flores is a damm good player, and if we could get him i would be more than happy

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

I suggested a while ago that Heart should look to sign Karagounis mainly because 1) Heart could sign him on a free transfer 2) he is a leader (he's a long time captain of Greece's national team), and I believe Heart need more leadership and 3) he is still a quality player, who was officially voted Fulham's second best player (only behind Berbatov!), was rated as the 8th most accurate long passer in the premier league (ahead of Gerrard, Lampard and Carrick!) and made Opta's top 10 for overall passing accuracy.

That Karagounis would appeal to a very large football demographic in Melbourne is something like the icing on the cake, in my judgement. I judged that Karagounis would help Heart win, and IMO 'nothing succeeds like success', and over the long term we'd have higher attendances and more members than if we merely went after a marquee with widespread appeal like Sydney FC did last season.

We might be overlooking Karagounis because we are going to re-sign Garcia and play Garcia and Murdocca/Germano as our DMs. If we resigned Garcia, then I could sort of imagine why Heart would overlook Karagounis, as with such small squads in the A-League (only 23 players) no club can afford to be lopsided, and Heart would be too heavy in midfield if we signed so many midfielders. A midfield of Kewell, Garcia and Murdocca would be more than fine with me, and I like the idea of making Garcia our identifiable leader/captain.

Lastly, if Heart manage to pull off signing a proper marquee, then I won't have any complaints. It's just that Heart still have a lot of important rebuilding to do, and I'm anxious to see the club get it right. So I really don't care if we miss out on Karagounis, as long as we re-sign Garcia and bring a lot of international quality into the team.

Germano - Murdocca

Garcia - Flores - Kewell

Also, I wouldn't want ANOTHER ex-Victory player.

We could do much better than Flores anyway I think.

I honestly couldn't give a fudge as long as they offer us more than they did for Victory

Some people on this forum are more reactive to Melbourne Victory than the AFL are with rule changes. The club have their targets, they know who they want and the idea of Victory signing Karagounis shouldn't change any of this. JA, SM & JD shouldn't suddenly drop negotiations with Holt or whoever else there are in order to try and get a better signing than Victory. If you want to beat them off field, then the best way to go about it is to beat them on the park first.

• Like 3