Melbourne Football

Richard Garcia

gundam

[As an 'apostrophe pedant' I love/hate the way many web-sites use 'it's' for 'its' and vice versa.]

Melbourne Heart FC has underlined it ambition with the signing of 2010 World Cup Socceroo Richard Garcia

Did I miss a linguistic memo or something? When did this become acceptable?

Some details on the contract:

MICHAEL COCKERILL

23 Aug, 2012 03:00 AM

[...]

Melbourne Heart are also poised to complete the signing of Socceroos midfielder Richard Garcia - who was released by Hull City at the end of the last English season. Garcia, 30, passed a medical with the club this week and is expected to sign a one-year deal that includes release clauses to allow him to pursue future opportunities in Asia.

http://www.melbournetimesweekly.com.au/news/national/national/sport/ffa-making-big-mistake-in-refs-exit/2653939.aspx?storypage=0

Not thrilled with the Asia release clauses, but securing Garcia whatever the clauses is pretty good. I also reckon when he is 31 at season's end there won't be too many Asian clubs prepared to front up big cash to sign Garcia, so I wouldn't be surprised if we hold onto him after the contract is up.

Not thrilled with the Asia release clauses, but securing Garcia whatever the clauses is pretty good. I also reckon when he is 31 at season's end there won't be too many Asian clubs prepared to front up big cash to sign Garcia, so I wouldn't be surprised if we hold onto him after the contract is up.

I'm guessing of course, but the 'release' part probably sets a $ transfer fee level that if met by another club and the player wants to make the transfer then no further negotiation is required. In some ways this is better than the clubs and player's agent haggling over a few thousand dollars one way or the other. The transfer can go through quickly and all parties can move on.

I don't recall ever seeing Garcia play, but I'm hoping that he adds that bit of class up front that IMO we need.

That's what happens with less editing, proof-reading and content management staff. The quality suffers and so the language.

...... so the language.- What ???.

I think signing Garcia will help Fred out in midfield, and will add more stability in the middle of the park.

Time will tell I guess

good that it's been confirmed, but i have to say i'm a bit surprised a bigger deal wasn't made of this signing.

at least with garcia he is determined to make an impression and force his way back into the socceroo squad, unlike kewell/emerton for example who may have been coming back to australia wanting to take it easy knowing that they will pretty much be chosen for the socceroos regardless of their form.

Edited by heart_fan10

Pretty happy with this signing, has the potential to be easily the best player on the list imo. Maybe not easily but has alot of class and skill for this league imo. Coming straight from the Championship and with recent Premierleague and National team experience. Really liking our mids and forwards, with Garcia, Fred, Thomson, Gremano, Tadic, Dugandzic would all get games in every team in the league.

HS says it's a one year deal, getting a transfer fee for a 31 year old with 1 year service is a bit much to expect. If it was easy, you'd just get 10 of them and make a few million.

I'm not sure what it says either about the NT. Coming to the A-League, then hoping to join the J-League (for example) to make the next WC at 33.

few players have left mid season (Simon, Mile etc.) for transfer fees, not sure if they were on their last year but it is possible

HS says it's a one year deal, getting a transfer fee for a 31 year old with 1 year service is a bit much to expect. If it was easy, you'd just get 10 of them and make a few million.

I'm not sure what it says either about the NT. Coming to the A-League, then hoping to join the J-League (for example) to make the next WC at 33.

Don't underestimate how much some Asian clubs are wiling too pay for average players, its already happened quite a bit in the A-league

• 2 months later...

We should hold onto this guy, make him captain (would take pressure of Fred in terms of fitness concerns) and offer him a new deal as our marquee Socceroo (sitting him outside the salary cap). With RG attacking in midfield and Josip upfront, provided we can sure up our defensive midfield position, and play Vrankovic at the back, Heart will do much better than last season and could even push for a title.

• Like 1

We should hold onto this guy, make him captain (would take pressure of Fred in terms of fitness concerns) and offer him a new deal as our marquee Socceroo (sitting him outside the salary cap). With RG attacking in midfield and Josip upfront, provided we can sure up our defensive midfield position, and play Vrankovic at the back, Heart will do much better than last season and could even push for a title.

Agreed - From the outside looking in this bloke appears to be a perfect captain for a club like Melbourne Heart.

If he leaves for Asia, i will be scratching my head to as why.

If he thinks it will help his chances for the NT, holger has proven he will pick you no matter where you're playing, as long as you're in form. Time and time again he has picked players from the aleague for the NT.

I could only see money, or maybe a long time dream of his would to play in Asia. Anyway, would be a massive shame to let him go. By far out best this season IMO.

Look Garcia won't go to Asia. If I am right, we have shown a heap of faith in him, given him a contract even though he has had his injury problems of late. No one else in the league or world gave him a chance to prove himself. So I reckon he would have some of loyalty to the club, doesn't seem like the guy that would leave for more money.

I also agree, great leader, seems a perfect fit to be captain

• Like 1

I would think Garcia as captain would make perfect sense.

Fred (love him) but I don't see it and really never have. Nice guy, probably too nice. We need a guy that has a bit of balls about him, get's stuck in, and to be fair, Garcia has been there and done it at the highest level, and done it well. Let Fred concentrate on getting fit and playing his football.

Also this club needs to promote itself more. I listen to SEN everyday and it is Victory all bloody day, very rarely is there Heart on there in comparison to them. Time to have players and coach talk every second day, maybe even have our fitness guy on their fitness program. Also target the FM networks like Triple M and Nova with a player a regular. I was upset at the station for allowing so much Victory, but when thinking about it, they are just doing a damn good job are the visitors, whilst we continue to be an amateurish club.

Back on topic, Garcia for captain. Wonderful player. Hope he won't leave.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...