Melbourne Football

Richard Garcia

gundam

Have erased that match from my memory. Sorry.

As someone who was there I could never erase that game from my memory.

Garcia is as good as Beauchamp was. I am not confident of his skill level is good enough for the A-League. He is a runner and worker. I have his sinking feeling that has gone on all off-season and having limited players like D Mc and Garcia only re-enforces that felling that next season will be a negative style with poor results. Just a gut feeling, but I do think we will struggle.

Really hope I am wrong

As someone who was there I could never erase that game from my memory.

Garcia is as good as Beauchamp was. I am not confident of his skill level is good enough for the A-League. He is a runner and worker. I have his sinking feeling that has gone on all off-season and having limited players like D Mc and Garcia only re-enforces that felling that next season will be a negative style with poor results. Just a gut feeling, but I do think we will struggle.

Really hope I am wrong

My gut feeling is that your gut is wrong.

We'll win the league.

• Like 1

Our squad has the POTENTIAL to win the league. It will all depend on if players reach their individual potentials.

Aloisi - The biggest unknown. He's been saying all the right things and is hungry. But do we have our very own Mehm on our hands?

Tadic - Was once a great prospect in Europe, has been on a bit of a downhill slide as of recent years. Defiantly has the potential to be the next Berisha and tear shit up, but could also keep on the downhill slide.

Fred - A fit Fred is our best player and close to the best player in the League. But he struggles with injury. If he stays on the park or not will have big ramifications for the sides chances.

Garcia - Essentially the same as Fred.

Gerhardt - An unkown quantity. We've seen highlights of him and a few preseason games, as well as the proposed fact that he knock back offers from bigger clubs. But no one really knows how he'll go for us this season. Could be a rock in defense or another average HAL VISA player.

Williams - Will we see the quick and deadly NQF Williams or the fat and lazy MH 2011-12 williams. Could make a big difference.

Thompson - Will he break his bad form of the back end of last year or stay in the rut?

Golgol, Gray, Macalister - Will they be Maycon duds or valuable squad players?

Yoof - Will Vrankovic and our two youth players to come be the quality of Babalj, Good and Hamill or the quality of Ibrahim, Sarkies and Kliment?

With such a huge turn over in the squad so much will come down to chance and which way things go. Some of things I've listed will go in our favor and some will go against us. But these unknows are what will make or break us and with the levelness of the league, the unpredictability of the squad and the unknown frequency of injuries, no one really knows how we'll go this season. Anywhere from 10th-1st will be no surprise for me.

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1

Seems to me it's almost deja vu to our foundation year. Almost but not quite a completely new playing squad, and apart from Peter Zois a completely new coaching team.

IMO we can answer some of your questions, but not all of them.

I would say a pretty definite 'no' to the new youth members of the squad being of the calibre of Babalj, Good and Hamill. It's hard to see us transferring three players to overseas clubs next off-season as we have done this time.

I have no doubt that Golgol, Gray and Macallister are an order of magnitude better than Maycon. So, marked inprovement there.

It's conventional wisdom that imports do better in their second season than their first. I'm not expecting that much from Tadic or Gerhardt, at least not initially. I think we might see Tadic playing on the left wing in due course. IMO Gray is a better option than Gerhardt.

The other questions - who knows? Injury management doesn't seem to be our strong point. A lot is going to depend on keeping our players fit and available for a 27-game league season so we can field a settled team at least for a few games on the trot. Also whether Aloisi can hold his nerve if results aren't that good to start with. To see us revert so quickly to that crappy long-ball game against the Knights was not a good sign I thought.

Honestly, last season when we had Fred and Dugandzic fit and in form we were close to being the best team in this league. They are on a higher level than the rest of the squad and almost make it irrelevant who else is on the park, such is their quality. If Aloisi is a half decent manager and those two are fit and in form, we will do well.

The difference this season is we have this chap by the name of Tadic, and now this other chap by the name of Garcia, who could join Fred & Dugandzic as being elite level players in this league. I'd say I'm more confident of Tadic turning out to be a star than Garcia, but who knows. If just one of those guys does join Fred and Mate on that elite level, we are going to do really well. Thats before even considering that Behich has potential to reach that elite level this season as well, and an in form David Williams isnt too far off neither.

I might sound like an optimistic flog by saying this but I believe he'll win the league with a goal difference of +762. Garcia will be top scorer with 456 goals and as a result of this Melbourne Victory FC will fold and the board will move to Tasmania.

Why do you read THAT forum?

Garcia out to push Socceroo claims

Michael Lynch

Published: August 23, 2012 - 3:00AM

RICHARD Garcia has spent half his 30 years living and playing at high-level clubs in England, yet the midfielder remains perhaps one of the least-known players to have pulled on the Socceroo shirt in recent years.

The West Australian-born Garcia moved to London as a 15-year-old when he joined West Ham. He spent almost eight years with the club and five more with another English Premier League outfit, Hull City.

But despite that pedigree, Garcia's name has not sprung to everyone's lips when discussions about potential changes to the Socceroo line-up have been canvassed in recent days in the wake of the disappointing loss to Scotland.

Yet just over two years ago, Pim Verbeek selected the new Melbourne Heart signing in the starting XI for the Socceroos' opening World Cup qualifier against Germany in Durban, and he came off the bench in the dramatic win over Serbia in Nelspruit.

While most of the calls have been for coach Holger Osieck to focus on youth as Australia looks to freshen its line-up for the upcoming World Cup campaign, Garcia has not given up hope he might force his way back into international reckoning once he starts playing regularly.

''I am still only 30, so I am younger than many of those in and around the squad,'' he said. ''I have been part of it before and I know what is required at international level, so I would like to think that if I play well here in the A-League and stay clear of injury, I might be able to catch the eye of the coaches again. Playing in the World Cup was the highlight of my career and I would love to be part of it again. I am confident I can do a job if the coach wants me.''

Garcia has returned to Australia at a much younger age than many of his international contemporaries, most of whom stay in Europe as long as they can before chasing riches in the Middle East.

He says after such a long time in Britain, he wanted a change and a return to his homeland - and the chance to play regularly and regain the form that made him a regular in the EPL with Hull City when the team had a meteoric first season at the highest level of the English game.

''There were some discussions with Perth Glory but nothing too serious. Melbourne Heart sold the club to me and the vision they had, the type of football they wanted to play and the role I could have with them and I wanted to come here,'' Garcia said earlier this week as he watched his new teammates take on Adelaide United in a pre-season friendly.

While he might not have had the profile of some of his better-known teammates, Garcia certainly has a good CV. ''I spent nearly eight years at West Ham and although I did play for the first team, a lot of the time I was in the squad or on the bench,'' he said. ''There came a point, when I was about 23, that I needed to play first-team football, so I left and went to Colchester.

''It was a much smaller club - the stadium only held about 10,000 - but we had some great times there and got into the Championship … but I needed to move on to a bigger club if I wanted to achieve my goals in the game. So when Hull came in for me, I talked to [then manager] Phil Brown and the club officials, and they sold me on the vision of where they wanted to be, which was in the Premier League. It was a great journey and we made it in 2008 when we won the play-off final and went up. That first season was fantastic and I think we were so new that we shocked a lot of people who didn't know what to expect. But we got relegated the next season.''

His career has been disrupted in recent years by knee ligament injuries, but he says he is now fit and ready for the rigours of the A-League. ''I watched the highlights show when I was in the UK. There are some good players here and a lot of the players who have come back have maybe found it harder than they thought it might be,'' he said. ''It looks quite a physical competition, but I have spent my life playing in the Premiership and Championship and there are not many leagues that are quicker or more physical than them, so I should be able to cope.''

While Garcia has been mainly known in this country for his exploits as a wide player with the national team, Heart will likely use him as a central midfielder, a position he is comfortable in.

- In the wake of chief executive Ben Buckley's departure, Football Federation Australia has lost another key official. Referees boss Mark Shield will leave at the end of the month after the governing body declined to turn his part-time job into a full-time one.

Shield, a two-time World Cup referee who also officiated in the final of the 2006 Asian Champions League and during the 2007 FIFA Club World Cup, has only been employed at Whitlam Square for 12 months, but was quick to impress with the way he overhauled the referees' structure. Shield last week unveiled a new selection process for referees in the A-League and W-League to widespread acclaim.

It's believed he is leaving to take up a job outside soccer in central Queensland.

With MICHAEL COCKERILL

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/garcia-out-to-push-socceroo-claims-20120822-24mmm.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter