Melbourne Football

Vincenzo Grella

LR9

You can't be not happy with this signing, fantastic. Wonder if Garcia moves to the left wing now or stays in DM, I've liked him in DM and Williams looks like his ready for a good season on LW so it will be interesting to see what happens.

This is a signing that puts pressure on a number of players to perform more fully to their undoubted potential. It puts pressure on our other midfielders - even on Fred - and it potentially frees up Garcia for the LW position, which puts pressure on Williams, and in turn on Dugandzic, especially with quality like Garuccio also eager for his turn on the wing. Williams also fancies himself in a central role, so more pressure on that spot as well.

I like it.

Both Garcia and Grella have one-year contracts only at this point in time, but I'd say their arrivals foreshadow end-of-season releases for a couple of our lesser players. Mauk is already contracted for the seniors for next year.

• Like 4

He WAS a great Socceroo.

Current facts:

1. 40-odd games in 4 years.

2. Getting older and slower

3 Prone to bad tackles, in bad spots.

4. We have enough midfielders

5. IMO Germano is a better option.

6. What are we paying for him?

7. marquee?

Similar reservations were held about Garcia when he signed, only managed about 13 games last season and look how well he has come on.

Germano is a better option? You are talking about one of the best Socceroos of all time. A man who was close to our best player in 06 in our greatest ever World Cup squad. His age & injury history granted, to make such a call that you'd prefer Germano over Grella is ridiculous in my view.

Like Garcia, Grella will be a class above. His reading of the play and tackling ability is 2nd to none. Freakish vision, great passer of the ball & his ability to close space and cover those ahead of him, with finesse is amazing. Time will tell, but I would be surprised if he doesn't turn out to be one of our most valuable players this season.

Edited by FB.
  • Like 4

Similar reservations were held about Garcia when he signed, only managed about 13 games last season and look how well he has come on.

Germano is a better option? You are talking about one of the best Socceroos of all time. A man who was close to our best player in 06 in our greatest ever World Cup squad. His age & injury history granted, to make such a call that you'd prefer Germano over Grella is ridiculous in my view.

Like Garcia, Grella he will be a class above. His reading of the play and tackling ability is 2nd to none. Freakish vision, great passer of the ball & his ability to close space and cover those ahead of him, with finesse is amazing. Time will tell, but I would be surprised if he doesn't turn out to be one of our most valuable players this season.

eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif

@ FB. I know what Grella WAS, as well as anyone here. But no-one here knows what he IS.

The difference between Grella and Garcia is that Garcia hasn't been on the injury table for FOUR years. Garcia played at the World Cup 2 years ago. Grella was..where?

Germano has been great for us IMO. We don't need another defensive midfielder.

Personally I wished we'd just given Madaschi a few more dollars and shored up our central defense.

Time will tell, you're right about that

SNIP

Personally I wished we'd just given Madaschi a few more dollars and shored up our central defense.

We couldn't have signed Madaschi even if we wanted to. No room in the squad back then. JD leaving a few spots open on the roster - master stroke.

@ FB. I know what Grella WAS, as well as anyone here. But no-one here knows what he IS.

The difference between Grella and Garcia is that Garcia hasn't been on the injury table for FOUR years. Garcia played at the World Cup 2 years ago. Grella was..where?

Madasachi was on an injury replacement loan. Money wasn't the issue, it was the fact we didn't have a spot left on the list to sign him full time. Unless you're talking about some other chance to sign him that I'm unaware of?

We tried to sign Grella earlier this off-season. The club would have done their due diligence then regarding his injuries, its the reason why we stayed away from Culina. Obviously the club feels he's fit to play otherwise we wouldn't have signed him.

I can understand the concern, but the positives far outweigh the negatives with this in my view.

Madasachi was on an injury replacement loan. Money wasn't the issue, it was the fact we didn't have a spot left on the list to sign him full time. Unless you're talking about some other chance to sign him that I'm unaware of?

We tried to sign Grella earlier this off-season. The club would have done their due diligence then regarding his injuries, its the reason why we stayed away from Culina. Obviously the club feels he's fit to play otherwise we wouldn't have signed him.

I can understand the concern, but the positives far outweigh the negatives with this in my view.

incorrect, he was always going to go to asia, whether we had a free spot or not we wouldn't have been able to sign him

Edited by malloy
  • Like 1

I hope this doesn't inadvertently mean Williams will be on the bench. He looks like he is set for a good year.

I think this signing might push Garcia up forward to a central role. That was his role in England, and may mean d Mac can play as the impact.

I'm only guessing but a signing like this may mean tandic will be our next maycon. Form what I saw he was good for very little.

Overall a good signing. It at least gives us cover for when the Asian transfer season opens and we do end up loosing Garcia mid season, ala ........

As long as he isn't on massive coin and knowing how the club operates, he wouldn't be, it is a great signing.

Some posters are talking about who we will have to play on the bench and that's the best thing about it IMO. It gives us cover/good options to bring on from the bench.

I would actually play Thompson wing/forward and keep Garcia in midfield, possibly rotating the two. If Germano's form is better than Thompson's I'd bring him in and play Garcia up the pitch.

This is a huge surprise. This can go both ways, it could be a complete failure if he gets injured which is possibility due to the fact that he is so prone to getting injured. Though if he avoids injury and is able to gain match fitness he will be a great addition to the squad. Pushing Garcia up the pitch will add some depth to our attack which is something i believe we have been lacking.

Heart Could possibly have the best midfield in the league, i doubted the ability to win the league this year. But i honestly reckon if Grella fits into the team we have a genuine chance to win the league.

Should play 3-4-3 now with two holding mids

Patty G is obviously not a CB, but he would make a better RDM covering/over lapping with Marrone as would Thomo with Behich.

I would have liked us to trial something like this in Pre-season:

Bolton/Redders

Marrone ----- Colosimo/Gray ----- Behich

Grealla/Gerhardt - Thomo/Grella

Mate ---- Fred/Germano - Garcia/Thomo ---- Willo/Garcia

DMac/Tadic

That would be awesome, playing with one central defender and two overlapping fullbacks. Has success written all over it.

I can 100% confirm, Heart and Grella have been in on/off disscussions over most of the off season. Grella put family first in discussions and was looking to move his family to Melbourne and was after a 3 year deal. For obvious reasons that would have been pretty stupid on Hearts behalf to offer that, so Vinnie has decided to leave his family over in Italy and accept a 1 year offer from Heart. I know that he plans on living in Italy after his career so its hard to see this being more than a 1 year deal unless Heart offers a multi year deal next season which is very unlikely for a 33/34 year old.

• Like 1

Fantastic news.

We have ordinary facilities. He'll be spending his recovery time in a wheely bin. And we're reluctant to spend extra money on marquees. But despite all of this, to be able to attract players like Grella and Garcia, and quality youngsters like Garuccio and Vrankovic to our club is a massive complement to Didulica and the way he and others have set things up. Aloisi too.

I share your concerns, but 1 game a week will make it easier for him to manage his fitness. If nothing else it gives us more depth and increases the pressure on players to perform as has been mentioned. In his heyday Vinnie was the key player for the socceroos in a way that (I hesitate to use the comparison but it's appropriate in context) Muscat was the key player for the visitors, look beyond his hacking incidents and in his younger days he was a great distributor of the ball with fantastic vision and great accuracy. If he can bring those skills to the team it'll be a great addition. I'm trying to get my head around how the team will work, we seem to have a choice of first rate backups for all midfield positions, or an attacking bias or a defensive bias to midfield. If Vrankovic can hold his CB position (and I think that he can) then we can even move Gerhardt into midfield too if required. I'd even think of moving Thompson to the forward line and playing Williams centrally. It allows us a lot of versatility, it frees Fred up from some defensive responsibilities too. It also allows us to easily switch to a 4-2-3-1 or any variation, 3-4-3 etc. JVS introduced tactical flexibility to the HAL, now we have the squad to take it further. We just need for find a way for Tadic to start scoring.....

• Like 1

I'm only guessing but a signing like this may mean tandic will be our next maycon. Form what I saw he was good for very little.

So you're telling me, that because tadic has played a total of around 80 minutes on the wing, when really he's a CF and didn't score, he's good for nothing? Now you see, maycon hasn't played at bayern laverkusen and done half alright..

Yet you compare the two? Have faith! Bit of game time and some English lessons and he'll be fine

Edited by Hazzaverx
  • Like 1

So you're telling me, that because tadic has played a total of around 80 minutes on the wing, when really he's a CF and didn't score, he's good for nothing? Now you see, maycon hasn't played at bayern laverkusen and done half alright..

Yet you compare the two? Have faith! Bit of game time and some English lessons and he'll be fine

yeah, but Maycon is Brazilian

• Like 1

Tadic has come to us as his career had stalled in Europe and now finds himself on the bench in Australia. No doubt he will be wondering what he has to do to get a go. Give him time and I think he will do alright once he settles and is playing for the team, in a position that suits him, rather than trying to prove his individual worth (eg. when he shot aginst Wellington rather than crossing).

Grella will add great depth to our midfield and which may allow Garcia to move further forward.

The biggest issue we will have is keeping players both on their toes and happy at the same time. Over to you JA.

Tadic has come to us as his career had stalled in Europe and now finds himself on the bench in Australia. No doubt he will be wondering what he has to do to get a go. Give him time and I think he will do alright once he settles and is playing for the team, in a position that suits him, rather than trying to prove his individual worth (eg. when he shot aginst Wellington rather than crossing).

Grella will add great depth to our midfield and which may allow Garcia to move further forward.

The biggest issue we will have is keeping players both on their toes and happy at the same time. Over to you JA.

trying to keep players happy is alot harder due to the length of the season. Tadic might also be a little bit unfit aswell. I agree that once he settles he should do fine. Bit harsh of the ppl above comparing him to maycon (who is quite possibly the shittest player to have played in the a league)

you don't need to look at a player for too long to realise if they have it or dont. A professional player should be fit for game one of the season. If he is not fit enough then he simply does not have the desire. He arrived late. There is no excuse if he is poorly prepared. He was one of our first signing, yet arrived very late.

Doesn't adelaide have a former chelsea player? What has been of his career for him to end up here? Atleast he is showing a desire and a want that tadic is lacking. strikers need a presence. you need to look at him and see a fighter. i look at him and see nothing. compare tadic's on field presence to d mac. They are worlds apart.

Not everyone will work out in Australia. Tandic has done little to impress in pre-season, or the 2 games he has featured in this season. has he even scored in pre-season?

I think Grellas signing may mean greater depth for our forward line. Garcia has become more versatile following the acquisition.

With greater competition means more will miss out.

Would tadic be played if Williams didn't?

ffs.

you don't need to look at a player for too long to realise if they have it or dont. A professional player should be fit for game one of the season. If he is not fit enough then he simply does not have the desire. He arrived late. There is no excuse if he is poorly prepared. He was one of our first signing, yet arrived very late.

So the fact that Tadic has played half a game out of his ususal position is enough for us to decide wether he's good enough? The fact that he has arrived late - potentially due to a plethora of complicated reasons means that he doesn't care? He's making a trek to a differnt hemisphere, completely different continent when he for all purposes could have found an average club in Europe, Asia, The middle East even though he apparently doens't care? Come on. Give him a chance before you start talking shit.

Doesn't adelaide have a former chelsea player? What has been of his career for him to end up here? Atleast he is showing a desire and a want that tadic is lacking. strikers need a presence. you need to look at him and see a fighter. i look at him and see nothing. compare tadic's on field presence to d mac. They are worlds apart.

Again, Tadic has played really 60 minutes of proper football here, somewhat out of position, how the fuck is that enough to base a judgement of conscience? ALso curious to know what you see when Babalj plays, or even Berbatov.

I think you really need to just relax and let the players do their thing before jumping to conclusions about them.

Edited by Che
  • Like 5

Not everyone will work out in Australia. Tandic has done little to impress in pre-season, or the 2 games he has featured in this season. has he even scored in pre-season?

People criticized Sibon for being "lazy" or "lacking interest" when he was probably our best player in our first season. Tadic barely got enough service on the weekend, and the limited time he got on the ball, he showed that his first touch was above a-league level and can use his non-preferred foot to a level that is again above the a-league.

Not sure if anyone else picked this up, there was one instance (right before Fred was 1 on 1 and tried to chip the keeper on a 40 degree angle :huh: ), where Tadic crept behind the defence and was waiting for Dugandzic to put him through early, but he didn't see him. A quick through ball there would have seen Tadic 1 on 1 with the wellington keeper, and it would be expected of a player like him to score. Even though he didn't get that opportunity, it showed he had a strikers instinct and wasn't just running everywhere like a headless chicken. I have a feeling he's a player who doesn't need many opportunities to score, so i'm eager to see him play a full game at CF with some even better service now that Grella will also be supplying from the midfield.

I think you really need to just relax and let the players do their thing before jumping to conclusions about them.

There is no time to "relax". this is a 27 game season, not 40+.

Iv seen enough to suggest he is not going to be our number 1 striker (unless proven otherwise). If he was any good d mac would be on the bench instead.

The a-league is not a season where you can let players "get fit" as the season treks. Your either on song from the get go or your off. Only a very few teams have won the league without winning their first two games.

BTW - Babalj looks like a striker. he acts like a striker etc. He has it! aka Sibon. You can see it on their face when they hit the field. Strikers have an arrogance about them. Aloisi had it when he was playing.

If i was given an opp to revive my playing careers, i would not be leaving it till late to make my journey there.

Lets see the fight in his eyes when he faces smeltz and mem and co. ..... if he gets picked at all.

Look i can see where you're coming from but it's just a ridiculous view to hold given the lack of game time Tadic has had, and especially ridiculous considering your favourable opinion of Hoffman. By your logic Hoffman shouldn't be on the teamlist at all. Are you going to make that call too?

D-Mac is in better form - socred a bucketload in pre-season and is in more comfortable surroundings having played in the league already. He's under less pressure and stress, it's fair enough. The system we're playing really only allows for one FC at a time unless he wants to be played out of position so that's why he's been on the bench. I just don't understand how you can come to the conclusion that he's therefore worthless.

27 games in a soccer season is short, but we've played players into form and fitness every other year so why should Tadic all of a sudden get flack? Do you think that Germano should get lost too/ any player that gets injured and is recovering?

Edit: inb4 "i'm entitled to have my own opinion".

http://theconversati...ur-opinion-9978

Edited by Che

There is no time to "relax". this is a 27 game season, not 40+.

Iv seen enough to suggest he is not going to be our number 1 striker (unless proven otherwise). If he was any good d mac would be on the bench instead.

The a-league is not a season where you can let players "get fit" as the season treks. Your either on song from the get go or your off. Only a very few teams have won the league without winning their first two games.

BTW - Babalj looks like a striker. he acts like a striker etc. He has it! aka Sibon. You can see it on their face when they hit the field. Strikers have an arrogance about them. Aloisi had it when he was playing.

If i was given an opp to revive my playing careers, i would not be leaving it till late to make my journey there.

Lets see the fight in his eyes when he faces smeltz and mem and co. ..... if he gets picked at all.

Markn would be prepared to take JD's position at MH HQ and head our recruiting department?

Because clearly u are some sort of Striker Whisperer who can look into a Striker's Face and know if he has:

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1