Melbourne Football

Chants that worked

BeardedHeart

and be able to chant consistently for the full 90 minutes.

This is precisely the point. I don't see any point in chanting prior to kick off and wasting energy. Especially when the team is in the locker rooms and you have advertisements etc. being blasted on the pa system. Sing for the 90 min, when it matters.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

Since Melburnians is a new group / core (technically) I think every game from now on should have a "chant sheet" posted on this forum. This would work better for introducing new chants.

Ps. I like how Melbourne Ole got a random try, but didn't work well. This is because nobody knew it was going to be tried! Use a chant sheet before each game.

Shit even I'll be happy to help post it up and even print sheets out

• Like 1

Since Melburnians is a new group / core (technically) I think every game from now on should have a "chant sheet" posted on this forum. This would work better for introducing new chants.

Ps. I like how Melbourne Ole got a random try, but didn't work well. This is because nobody knew it was going to be tried! Use a chant sheet before each game.

Shit even I'll be happy to help post it up and even print sheets out

Exactly, make an official Chant List with youtube links to the tune and spam the fuck out of it, on the FB page, on here, on twitter, everywhere. 

• Like 1

Few Victards at work commenting on how we're sounding louder & louder week after week on TV.

Told them to fuck off.

EDIT: If you love City, stand up was a belter. Encourages GA to get up too. Nippon/Melbourne Ole needs persistence with megaphone. Call & response needs to get another go to the wings with a bigger crowd against Sydney.

Awesome work Tony & crew. Great job!

WE ARE MELBOURNE

AND WE WILL BE

THE GREATEST TEAM

THIS CITY HAS SEEN.

Edited by HOLLYWOOD

and be able to chant consistently for the full 90 minutes.

This is precisely the point. I don't see any point in chanting prior to kick off and wasting energy. Especially when the team is in the locker rooms and you have advertisements etc. being blasted on the pa system. Sing for the 90 min, when it matters.

Hey man i like all your post etc and I'm not having a dig at you by saying this at all. 

I strongly think that getting to the game a bit early like an hour b4 kick off is very important, and chanting it creates atmosphere and gets the GA excited especially the ones close by. Last year and years b4 against vicorty at AAMI park they were there an hour b4 kick off chanting and were very intimidating. The march to the ground is great IMO however it needs to be done earlier and we need to chant and have the terrace going early, not to pump up the players but to get the active guys going and to get the crowd buzzing. 

and then continue it for the 90 mins. if guys are losing energy and cant be bothers IMO go stand at the back or move to the side. 

as i said I'm not having a dig i just feel strongly about this. 

• Like 1

Despite the loss, how crazy was tonight.

Terrace was nice and loud, the other bays were getting involved and those last 10 mins wow. Does anyone see clearly what happened with the cops at like the 80th minute? Pretty sure I saw pepper spray come out.

But tonight, Melburnians, awesome. Can legitimately say I've lost my voice.

Exactly, make an official Chant List with youtube links to the tune and spam the fuck out of it, on the FB page, on here, on twitter, everywhere.

I have an idea of how to do this. I'll mess around when I get home and see if I can throw something together for it.

Also, not trying to take charge. Just want to help out.

I'm sick of yelling at everyone every week to get them to sing louder, don't blame the people in charge, they try, blame all the non participants, sure new chants hard to pick up at the start but fuck me the main ones are known and I shouldn't need to scream after every run through for it to be louder. Be part of the solution, don't just complain about it.

• Like 2

I'm sick of yelling at everyone every week to get them to sing louder, don't blame the people in charge, they try, blame all the non participants, sure new chants hard to pick up at the start but fuck me the main ones are known and I shouldn't need to scream after every run through for it to be louder. Be part of the solution, don't just complain about it.

I do feel for you, its hard to be enthusiastic when the team dishes up such crap week in week out. I think that you're doing a good job.

• Like 1

I am blaming the non-participants, I completely agree with you. A capo can only do so much. 

Admittedly I can't make it to every game, every week but when I am there I sing my guts out until my throat hurts but every single time there's always people who either just don't get into it, or just don't care. I believe it's a culture issue and it's one which will only get worse without the kind of intervention you outlined, so well done for standing up.

• Like 1

The terrace leaders need to tell everyone who isn't going to chant to get the fuck out of the terrace. I know you all want to be inclusive and shit but if a 40 year old bloke with his dumbass 3 children is sitting there doing nothing he's wasting 4 loud voices. Too many cunts think it's just another seat, tell them to fuck off well before kick off

• Like 2

The terrace leaders need to tell everyone who isn't going to chant to get the fuck out of the terrace. I know you all want to be inclusive and shit but if a 40 year old bloke with his dumbass 3 children is sitting there doing nothing he's wasting 4 loud voices. Too many cunts think it's just another seat, tell them to fuck off well before kick off

i told off kids tonight, tried to get them to join in and just looked at me and basically told me to fuck off, went over to them and told them, you have an active membership, you are expected to sing and especially being at the front, you will make the terrace look bad. they ended up just giving me lip and i walked away before i did something stupid. when we went to sit down for we love, i made sure to have a go at them for sitting down and joining in now and not before, told them to stand up if they dont want to participate. all these new members who think they have a right to sit there and do nothing just because they have an active membership, they need to be kicked to the sides and leave the main bay with the people who are committed to the cause. 

• Like 6

i told off kids tonight, tried to get them to join in and just looked at me and basically told me to fuck off, went over to them and told them, you have an active membership, you are expected to sing and especially being at the front, you will make the terrace look bad. they ended up just giving me lip and i walked away before i did something stupid. when we went to sit down for we love, i made sure to have a go at them for sitting down and joining in now and not before, told them to stand up if they dont want to participate. all these new members who think they have a right to sit there and do nothing just because they have an active membership, they need to be kicked to the sides and leave the main bay with the people who are committed to the cause.

yeah exactly, especially all the young kids in the first few rows who sit on the fence

• Like 1

I have an idea of how to do this. I'll mess around when I get home and see if I can throw something together for it.

Also, not trying to take charge. Just want to help out.

http://youtu.be/3blklKVx8MM

OK. Just spend the last hour recording 20 takes of myself singing the So Happy Together chant once play commences, layered them on top of each other, and slapped on some logo's and the lyrics.

Let me know what you think. I'm happy to do more if it helps out in any way. However, I'm not overly sure of some of the lyrics to some of the chants. I know the tune... but I've never invested as much into the club as I have this year (despite being a member since day 1). But I've found that I'm lurking here more and more and I want to help out in some small way.

Edit: yes I'm aware the audio quality isn't the best but I could only record from my gaming headset...

Edited by recyclosaurusrex
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First half chanting was great, especially with the tando chants. The snoop chant with tando is the best, it has to stay! Second half was really poor, which was strange because we were getting closer to our first home win of the season. Too many people starting their own chants which i didn't like, especially if they are overlapping with the capo's chants, but then again if the capo's not chanting and there is dead air then i guess its okay for others to start something? I like the idea of the capo walking around trying to get others involved but for that to work another good capo has to be left in charge.

• 3 weeks later...

Up and down day, but second half much better than first half. 

Dale Cavese is starting to work again, and thank fuck for that. 

Clearly there's a race occuring to see who can chant Tifosi (We Are Melbourne) the quickest, and it sounds rather average because of it.

Edited by RedAndWhitePride

I am not sure whether this is just me or others felt the same.

When we held our scarves up to sing "When the Hearts go marching in!", no drum, nothing, and it seems everyone is singing, it felt like YNWA to me.. it was great! I was lifted and hopefully the players too.

So lets not forget, why we sing at matches at the first place! to lift our players' spirit to score some goals.

Don't get me wrong, I love the drum but a few more of this sort of singing would be great too.

Surely the Capo has to become more aware of the match situation when trying to get chants up and running. He was trying to get GA to stand yesterday, got them up, but then Perth scored. Now we all know GA is fickle, so they got deflated and sat down. Instead of understanding what happened, he just started berating them. It doesn't work that way. You'll never get them involved when they are watching the match, particularly when it goes against us. 

And whilst I'm on it, when the Capo talks on the megaphone, its mumble. All I hear is a loud grumble with the occasional "fuck" or "come on". And it wasn't just me yesterday, as most of the blokes around me had no idea what the Capo wanted them to be doing/signing.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Disappointing how the leaders are bringing in EPL/A League rip off chants for our team instead of being unique...

Knick knack paddywhack- cheesy and Sydney FC chant

We are Melbourne we are city- rbb wsw

Super Melbourne city- every bloody EPL team

Should be getting more euro/new unused in a-league chants (y)

• Like 1

Disappointing how the leaders are bringing in EPL/A League rip off chants for our team instead of being unique...

Knick knack paddywhack- cheesy and Sydney FC chant

We are Melbourne we are city- rbb wsw

Super Melbourne city- every bloody EPL team

Should be getting more euro/new unused in a-league chants (y)

Plenty around the forums mate. All up to the core though, as always  :up:

We try to do new chants. Everyone looks at us like we are dickheads. In the end got go with one's that make noise. Case in point ul le le le le sounds amazing but no one wants to sing it for more than 2 times. We can't do everything, up to the people to put in an effort to make a new chant work instead of blaming us for things not working

• Like 2

We try to do new chants. Everyone looks at us like we are dickheads. In the end got go with one's that make noise. Case in point ul le le le le sounds amazing but no one wants to sing it for more than 2 times. We can't do everything, up to the people to put in an effort to make a new chant work instead of blaming us for things not working

You need to take the blame because half a season has passed and this app & youtube channel is still not updated?

The core needs to put the chants out there and not expect everybody to read this part of the forum.

We take the blame about the app not being update. What agoalie is saying is we have started new chants that no one has used before and everyone looks at me blankly. Then we do the We are Melbourne We are city chant that is a WSW chant. ( which I didn't know until we started singing it) everyone sings for 15 min. Damned if I do damned if I dont. Dont fear the app and recording will be done before our next game.

Edited by BeardedHeart