Melbourne Football

Chants that worked

BeardedHeart

Just from the western wing...

Most things are too fast - by the time the sound reaches the rest of the stadium it's difficult to hear the words. So people don't join in.

The Turtles recording of "So Happy Together" is also too fast to sing along to. Surely with our sponsorships we could afford to do a recording that's a bit slower and cuts out that "Ba Ba Ba" ending part?

What worked:

+ the 1-2-3 clap - that should be one of the first chants, almost like a warm up activity to get everyone involved and to stand up. It's pretty relaxed, no words to memorise and gets the blood flowing, it also felt pretty loud, mind you I was 5 rows from the front in the centre.

+ I love the 'Oh city, city' chant...I think that together with the - 'ole ole ole we are melbourne, we are city' - works pretty well, especially when the team is down (and that happens quite a bit too much) and we want to fire up the home end and the players.

+ I love the spontaneous banter chants (heskey left cos you're shit, etc. etc..), isn't that the whole point of a home end? The fact that we are getting involved in the game and talking to the players in a way?

+ The player songs are great, especially the one for the Hoff

+ the heart chants were nice, whoever thinks we should forget about the last 4 years can go suck a bag of dicks.

What didn't work well:

- like I have said a million times, the Capo needs to be a bit tougher on the crowd and if a chant doesn't work say stuff like "fire up", "that's not loud enough", "etc..."

- If I were the Capo and a new Capo at that I would write up a quick program of chants to go through during the game, start with simple chants, think about how many repeats, what to chant if we're up/down, obviously being prepared to improvise as well. But I would feel more confident having prepared beforehand. Produce a ranking of the chants that worked best (using input from this thread) then you know which ones are "safe" and which ones we need to work on more.

- I would only introduce one new chant per game

- the Victard chants were funny but felt out of place (except the Muscat ones, cos he was actually there)

- the 'fuck'em all' one is not that great

• Like 3

I was at the back row of Bay 17. I could not hear one word of the new chants from the new capo. Megaphone technique needs to be sorted out if you want people to pick up the new chants quickly.

City sounds so much like Sydney in so many of the chants.

There was a varied version of 2 old chants. Personally, they sounded so shit. Especially the varied Shalalalalalala. Either keep them as they were, or don't do them. The terrace needs to make a clear decision if it is going to keep using Heart in chants and make it clear whatever that decision is. So what is one or two GA wankers stand up and complain, if the new terrace keeps Heart, then sing it with conviction. 

Glad all over was a significant omission - no real reason on that. 

On the question of visuals, there were two flags up in the top right corner that someone clearly took there. They weren't waved once, until I took one and went mental after the goal. Almost took out a kids eye, but he should realise the risk really. So if flags are being handed out, the capo, or other, should make sure they are being waved. 

• Like 2

How about this for a City/Heart chant -

'We will always have Heart, We will always have Heeeeeart, Melbourne City....will always have Heart' repeat x8 - fast or slow -

Sung to the rhythm of - 'you know what your are...you know what you areeeeee, Archie Thompson....you know what you are'

Do we have a dedicated drummer?

Maybe its time "Biancorosso" could put his hand up to do something for once rather than his usual sitting back and criticising everything he sees from those who do put in whether they be Yarraside or Melburnians.

Seriously the bloke has been this forum's Craig Foster for number of years now when it comes to his comments on Active Support. :droy:

• Like 1

Do we have a dedicated drummer?

Maybe its time "Biancorosso" could put his hand up to do something for once rather than his usual sitting back and criticising everything he sees from those who do put in whether they be Yarraside or Melburnians.

Seriously the bloke has been this forum's Craig Foster for number of years now when it comes to his comments on Active Support. :droy:

Thanks for the nomination. But I can't drum. Wouldn't have a clue. 

It's one thing to volunteer, but an entirely different thing to be able to do that task properly. 

Positives

The old chants worked well, mainly cause words were known

So happy together

Novelty chants (he left cause your shit) I don't mind them as long as they arnt overdone, eg - your just a shit ballotelli to ibini is a cracker

Negatives

That megaphone, tip #1 do not talk into it, no one can understand what being said

Too many brand new chants. Need word sheets if were going to bring in so many at one go

The Archie Thompson chant

It could been worse but also could been better. Work to do for the Adelaide game

Since a lot of chants that we are bringing in have a lot of "ale's, ole's etc.." Chant sheets just won't work.

So when we get this YouTube channel up, it will help things a lot more, until then, pre game singing and listening to the capo are the best things to do

• Like 1

Just from the western wing...

Most things are too fast - by the time the sound reaches the rest of the stadium it's difficult to hear the words. So people don't join in.

The Turtles recording of "So Happy Together" is also too fast to sing along to. Surely with our sponsorships we could afford to do a recording that's a bit slower and cuts out that "Ba Ba Ba" ending part?

• Like 1

Maybe its just me, but i think counting up (1,2,3) then clapping, sounds a bit tacky. Counting down sounds a lot better.

This isn't sesame street

We are going to try the drum this week. But I will count down instead if I do it the other way

Could you also do it in an Elmo Voice.

Thats would be great thanks

:facepalm:

Edited by [LIBBA]
  • Like 3

One chant that would've worked for level 1 & level 3 would've been the 'Cmon city' chant as level three had a fair few Manchester City suporters up the back and they started doing the Cmon city with there lovely English voices

it would've sounded grouse if done together and it is one simple chant that more people then usual would get involved in

• Like 1

At least something Man City have done is relevant to us now.

'We never win at home

and we never win away

We lost last week

and we lost today

We don't give a fuck

'Cos we're all pissed up

MCFC OK'

Lmao, that's great:

Can also do our variation of David Villa / Besart chant (since clearly Besart > Villa):

This is how it feels to be City

This is how it feels to be small

This is how it feels when your team wins nothing at all

Nothing at all! 

• Like 2

At least something Man City have done is relevant to us now.

'We never win at home

and we never win away

We lost last week

and we lost today

We don't give a fuck

'Cos we're all pissed up

MCFC OK'

Lmao, that's great:

Can also do our variation of David Villa / Besart chant (since clearly Besart > Villa):

This is how it feels to be City

This is how it feels to be small

This is how it feels when your team wins nothing at all

Nothing at all! 

Wow didnt that chant back fire on us.

Never liked the idea of that chant anyways.

Villa is a NYCFC player and not our signing to begin with