Melbourne Football

2014/15 Captain

R410

I love Paddy K and reckon he'd relish the honour, so would be stoked if he got it. Wielaert is the obvious 'next in line' choice and I think it speaks volumes that he led the side in several of the games in his first season in a foreign country, so no problems with him either. And obviously with his pedigree (how many former EPL captains have played A-League), Koren would be a solid choice. I think those are the three standouts and maybe someone like Murdocca as a darkhorse, though his spot in the first-choice lineup might be questionable (though I think Murdocca's strengths are his running and endurance, so seems like the sort of player that either has to play 90 minutes, or you might as well not have in the squad).

Wielaert for mine. Love the way he organises the defence, and reckon with a full pre-season this year (remember he was injured in pre-season last year for about a month) he will be much better player this year.

Although would have no problem with Koren taking captaincy. Not ideal since first year with club, but former EPL and country captain can't really argue against that.

Ladies and gents, please bow before captain Hoffman! :clap: :clap: :clap:

10516846_10152264177717479_1326164662754

Can you have a benched player as captain? Williams would make a terrible captain ;)

All of those blokes besides Duff will be benched players.

What's the bet at least one of them is starting a game each week.

Ladies and gents, please bow before captain Hoffman! :clap: :clap: :clap:10516846_10152264177717479_1326164662754

Can you have a benched player as captain? Williams would make a terrible captain ;)

Well whos to say Willow will be a bench player?

Until Jesus is confirmed, he is our best striking option

You know, apart from that no-name David Villa bloke

Thought we rushed into it last season. No need to repeat that. IMO what we need is someone who's going to be still on the field in the closing stages of a match and keep everyone focussed, because that's when we tend to throw matches and points away.

Edited by jw1739

Thought we rushed into it last season. No need to repeat that. IMO what we need is someone who's going to be still on the field in the closing stages of a match and keep everyone focussed, because that's when we tend to throw matches and points away.

This is why I think Wielaert should be captain ahead of Koren. With Koren as a 33 year old central midfielder, he's a lot more likely to be subbed off than Robbie. Interestingly Wikipedia has Mass listed as our captain

I reckon either Koren or Wielaert would be best.

Koren would be a very good choice as he has a long history of demonstrated leadership, and if he joins he'll probably be one of the first names on the teamsheet next season.

Wielaert is my other pick because I too am pretty tired of new players coming in and donning the armband. Also, Wielaert is our most vocal player and is a very good organiser of the team, and I think Wielaert would lift if we gave him the armband, whereas I'm expecting Koren to be very good regardless so arguably our team would most improve by having a player like Wielaert lift due to getting the captaincy.

Mass is my third choice, but out of the 3 I think he's least likely to see regular game time next season.

Overall I reckon all of the suggested candidates sound pretty good, and we'll have a solid leader for our captain next season.