Melbourne Football

Golgol Mebrahtu

DutchPride

When i see the club is serious about being Champions, they'll get my money. That means making the hard calls on the current playing squad, the coaches, the fitness people. Then actively going out and hiring people that have a vision about how we will play, and eye for talent that will allow us to play that way.

Glory hunter. Support your club through the thick and thin. Not just when you think we might be able to win a title.

Nope. Not at all.

Could have continued as a casual at Victree if that were the case.

Its about supporting a club that has vision, ambition and passion.

I follow Arsenal beacsue they are true to themselves: its about playing a certain way, conducting themsleves a certain way on the pitch, developing and recruiting players that can make that vision a reality, and not being totally reliant on having the biggest bags of money to steal other club's talent. Sure might not get the most trophies, but its how they go about their business.

And I for one don't believe that this can't be a major point of difference. Look at Glory and what they're known for: aggression and direct football.

Its a salary-capped league, so its not about the money, but the people who run the joint.

Heart promised a playing philosophy and building with youth. And abondoned it.

At end of day board did not go for milicic because didiluca wanted control over the team.

Postecoglou wasn't looked at because we all know why.

Aloisi is a good coach but unfortunately needs to stop taking orders from upstairs. I want to see aloisi for another year!

When i see the club is serious about being Champions, they'll get my money. That means making the hard calls on the current playing squad, the coaches, the fitness people. Then actively going out and hiring people that have a vision about how we will play, and eye for talent that will allow us to play that way.

Glory hunter. Support your club through the thick and thin. Not just when you think we might be able to win a title.

Heart promised a playing philosophy and building with youth. And abondoned it.

Developed Babalj, Good and Hamill,

Still have Behich, Gol Gol, Mannone, now Vrankovic, Garuccio (both OZ U21) and the likes of Edwards, Walkers

Not enough?

We havnt had enough experience till this year i think having 7+ genuine talents in a game of 11 people is pretty good cant play them all the whole time

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Lets reopen this discussion about his performance.

My thoughts;

He seems a little relaxed at his attempts to win the ball. He just doesn't put enough into it to have a shot. No hunger. He was serviceable and had an assist, but theirs something about him which doesn't give me confidence. He's an L plate player.

Thoughts:

His first touch is letting him down

One thing to remember, he is playing totally out of position

He is not a centre forward

As far as I know, he is. Has been done by injuries and may be better used as an impact sub. Once he gets to full fitness he should be going great guns.

Also, Eli was a bit the same and appeared lazy at times. Once he got into defending at the front he was a different player.

Gol Gol looked to be doing more covering work Saturday. A bit of time and I think he will be fine.

Davutovic gave Golgol the 3 votes. Not sure he was watching tbf.

Assist in both goals and led the line pretty well (not necessarily his preferred position). One of the cracking goals from 12/13.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu7oDqVDh3g

Edited by HEARTinator

As far as I know, he is. Has been done by injuries and may be better used as an impact sub. Once he gets to full fitness he should be going great guns.

Also, Eli was a bit the same and appeared lazy at times. Once he got into defending at the front he was a different player.

Gol Gol looked to be doing more covering work Saturday. A bit of time and I think he will be fine.

Well this might sound harsh - But if this is the case then you dont know much about Golgol at all.

Davutovic gave Golgol the 3 votes. Not sure he was watching tbf.

We would not of scored either goal without Golgol playing a big part in each whilst playing in a position that is foreign to him.

He was received praise in The Age as well as the Sun for his job on Saturday.

It appears that a lot of the posts today about Golgol reek of those who do not know how hard it is for someone to play as a CF at this level.

Edited by cadete

The one thing i don't think Gol Gol did enough of on the weekend was charging down the keepers and defenders when the opposition are playing out. Sure, it requires a lot of fitness but this is part of why Brisbane are so good. Attack is the first line of defence and the way Berisha pressures opposition defenders and GK is phenomenal, he has a great work rate and he forces a lot of errors just on that. If Gol Gol could add that to his game, we could really keep it down there.

The one thing i don't think Gol Gol did enough of on the weekend was charging down the keepers and defenders when the opposition are playing out. Sure, it requires a lot of fitness but this is part of why Brisbane are so good. Attack is the first line of defence and the way Berisha pressures opposition defenders and GK is phenomenal, he has a great work rate and he forces a lot of errors just on that. If Gol Gol could add that to his game, we could really keep it down there.

I agree there were a few times where he could have done this but we have to remember he was only playing as a CF because our two CF's were injured.

Well this might sound harsh - But if this is the case then you dont know much about Golgol at all.

Ouch! :)

I have read that either he likes to play, or that he would be well suited as a centre forward. I can't remember which.

Agree he has impressed more for us out wide. Also taking set pieces. He should be taking set pieces.

this only works when the wingers mark up their defenders forcing the keeper to kick it long. So its a team effort not just up to golgol

this only works when the wingers mark up their defenders forcing the keeper to kick it long. So its a team effort not just up to golgol

Reading this interview with Gol Gol in the Herald Sun, it would seem he is well aware of his defensive duties up front:

“You’re talking about two very classy players in Patty (Kisnorbo) and Rob (Wielaert) - and even Patrick Gerhardt is there too but unfortunately only two centre backs can play a game,” he said.

“It’s good to know that we’re defensively (sound) and it’s not just with those two, it starts from the front line.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/melbourne-heart-brimming-with-confidence-after-encouraging-performances-against-victory-mariners/story-fnibbvjo-1226743412784

Agree. It seems that JA's tactics are to press only in our own half in which case it'd be pointless tactically for GolGol to run at the keeper

• Like 1

Golgol scored 4 good goals last season, including some screamers, despite the fact he only had 4 starts. He did come off the bench 10 times as well, but he only played 558 minutes all up last season, which is equivalent to 6 full 90 minute games.

With regards to Golgol's finishing, he took 15 shots last season (7 on target), and scored 4 goals. Compare Golgol with how David Williams went last season, 53 shots (22 on target) and 5 goals (and some were pens). Golgol actually had a better goals to shots ratio (i.e., he needed less shots to score goals) than Besart Berisha, who last season took 57 shots (35 on target) and scored 14 goals.

Too many criticisms of Golgol remind me of criticisms my dad, a lifelong follower of AFL, makes of soccer players in general: they don't run enough. I often respond by saying that running and athleticism aren't the be all and end all. If I recall correctly, many people used to call Babalj lazy (especially before he finished up as our top scorer, with 9 goals in our second season), and look how he went.

As cadete said, golgol was pivotal for our 2 goals against the Mariners. The first because of Golgol's good powerful shot, that bounced in a difficult way for the keeper, and the second because of his top pass to release Ramsay.

Golgol is still a very raw talent, who hasn't played played too many 90 minute matches (because of injury). He's very good on the ball, he's good one on one/running at defenders (Aloisi has even said he's the best in the League), he's good with deadballs and he can finish. Whilst he hasn't been perfect over our first 2 matches, Golgol has done a pretty good job as our replacement striker, and he is bound to improve even more as the season progresses.

I'll admit, I've been harsh on his work rate but you are right, it's Gol Gol's short and sharp bursts and his brilliant touch that make him a good forward, he's probably been instructed not to hassle and hound either or else he wouldn't be playing.

Personally I'd like to see him stay on as the right winger this week in place of Mate who'll inevitably make way for Mifsud.