Melbourne Football

Golgol Mebrahtu

DutchPride

The rating of our squad is given according to our position on the table and the various unenviable records we either hold or are about to. It is based on results.

If the players were "completely sick" of the past two seasons then maybe collectively they ought to have done something about it instead of backing Aloisi to the hilt in the media.

I take no notice of what other clubs, their coaches and players say about us - they were happy to see the Heart status quo maintained as they could see an easy three points every time.

Yes, the club is in a mess. It is making poor decisions, or dithering about making any decision at all. Management comes out with silly comments and juvenile PR hype.

I agree that it's poor form to boo our own team, but what other way is there of expressing a view? Letters and e-mails go without so much as an acknowledgement.

JW, you are right about letters going unanswered, unless you right to David Lyon our Fan Engagement Officer. He won't talk about the Football Department though as it is a different area of the club which he has no control over.

The players had to back JA in the media. I know my workplace has a policy of instant dismissal for anyone who speaks to the media, especially in a negative way. I don't imagine Melbourne Heart's players being on a different footing. Also, if the players bad mouth the coach, what chance do they have of being selected? And if the board were backing JA the way they were, what hope is there in a player revolt? It just doesn't work that way.

As I said before, I just hope JVS can turn the players around and bring the best out in them. I also hope the club's administration gets sorted out so that players and supporters know that Melbourne Heart is worth putting in the effort for and that the club has a healthy, vibrant and successful future.

Irrespective of "potential" you have to ask one question - "Is this player making enough of himself to demand a place in our match-day squad?"

Answer for Macallister: No.

Answer for Golgol: No.

So it's best that they move on.

We've got too many players for whom the answer is "no."

I reckon it's a waste of talent as well. And it has to be said that it's so hard to judge individuals this season, given that effectively every player has not improved, indeed every player has gone backwards, this season. But since he hasn't been performing (like the rest of the team), I'm okay with Heart letting him go.

He did show some quality at Heart, especially in his first season (last season): 

Golgol scored 4 good goals last season, including some screamers, despite the fact he only had 4 starts. He did come off the bench 10 times as well, but he only played 558 minutes all up last season, which is equivalent to 6 full 90 minute games.

With regards to Golgol's finishing, he took 15 shots last season (7 on target), and scored 4 goals. Compare Golgol with how David Williams went last season, 53 shots (22 on target) and 5 goals (and some were pens). Golgol actually had a better goals to shots ratio (i.e., he needed less shots to score goals) than Besart Berisha, who last season took 57 shots (35 on target) and scored 14 goals.

And whilst potential isn't everything, and no club should keep players solely on potential, potential is important, and you can't say that this 23 year old doesn't have it. Potential is a key reason why Jeremy Walker should be our rightback, because I doubt that Hoffman has the potential to be anything more than a mediocre rightback, whereas Walker IMO has the potential to become a good RB or better.

Heart letting Golgol go ultimately isn't that important. What's more important is for Heart to get back to making its footballers meet their potential, like we did in our first and second seasons with Babalj, Zahra, Behich, Marrone, Hamill, Good and Dugandzic (7 goals & 7 assists in his first season). I've watched Mauk and Vrankovic play a few U22 matches this week, and I know those players and some others at Heart have real raw talent and potential. So Heart needs to be able to help players improve again, because it doesn't matter who we sign if this club can't create a context where players can fulfill their potential. 

Edited by Murfy1

I heard that it is Wellington as rumoured.

Yep. Particularly saw Ernie and him in deep discussions when we lost to Wellington and then was told by a journo he was in talks with them. Your info coincided with that information I received.

Signed for next year then. We should mutually terminate his contract now.

Money saved from him and DMac let's make a statement and get a loan deal for Josh Kennedy with view to contract for next three years.

Scott Munn just said he doesn't believe he has signed with Nix.. Contracted till end of season

How many hours is it since he said "our roster is full" when the world knew that Macallister was going to Hong Kong?

Mr. Munn loses credibility with almost every utterance.

Mebrahtu may be contracted to Heart until the end of this season, but that's got nothing to do with next season at all. We signed both Redmayne and Ramsay while they were still contracted to their previous clubs.

Scott Munn just said he doesn't believe he has signed with Nix.. Contracted till end of season

How many hours is it since he said "our roster is full" when the world knew that Macallister was going to Hong Kong?

Mebrahtu may be contracted to Heart until the end of this season, but that's got nothing to do with next season at all. We signed both Redmayne and Ramsay while they were still contracted to their previous clubs.

I know Munn is full of shit, just wanted to see what he says about it.

Don't shoot the messenger

^^^ there's something wrong signing players whilst the season is still going.  

Why? It's perfectly legal and above board.

You can be a contract worker and sign your next contract with another employer whilst fulfilling the current one. Football is no different.

• Like 1

I know Munn is full of shit, just wanted to see what he says about it.

Don't shoot the messenger

Wasn't shooting you at all mate. Just pointing out that SM doesn't have much credibility (at least with me) with these sorts of statements.

I hope Gol Gol has a good career, but theres lots of work for him to do. His body language and work ethic on the park just do not seem to be up to standard for someone who has been talked up as much as he has.

I still remember seeing JA and Iain Ramsey chatting at the end of the match last season and knew something was up there, so if Ernie was chatting to Gol Gol I think theres more to it. Good luck to him in Windy Wellington :)

I have been quite underwhelmed by Gol Gol. He shows glimpses that he can take a game by the throat, but then consistently fails to.

For mine, he needs to move on as we don't seem to be able to get that talent out of him. Merrick is backing himself that he can harvest that talent and I'd think he's got more chance than most.

I hope Gol Gol has a good career, but theres lots of work for him to do. His body language and work ethic on the park just do not seem to be up to standard for someone who has been talked up as much as he has.

I still remember seeing JA and Iain Ramsey chatting at the end of the match last season and knew something was up there, so if Ernie was chatting to Gol Gol I think theres more to it. Good luck to him in Windy Wellington :)

I dont - If his leaving us I hope he feels his potential in the same way Kamal did, hogging the ball on the wing for Bergers before drifting into oblivion.

Hey guys. Thought I'd pop in as I asked Merrick about Golgol this morning.

Merrick ruled it out. Said he's never talked to him or his agent. So I'm pretty confident it's not us.

Never? Well must have been his twin who spoke to him after the game against us...

I don't know if it is you guys who he is going to but I was told by a Melbourne journo there was interest.

I think Ernie would be a type to keep his cards close to his chest.