Melbourne Football

Tinkler hands in Jets License (RIP A-League)

MTP

The Hunter Sports Group (HSG) will not be fielding a Newcastle Jets team in the 2012/13 A-League season, effective immediately, following a decision by the HSG to return the Jets A-League licence to the Football Federation Australia (FFA).

The HSG has invested almost $12 million since stepping in at short notice to save the ailing club less than 18 months ago.

During this period the club has been unable to resolve a variety of issues with the FFA including a $5 million acquisition fee, the Jason Culina insurance matter and continued request to address the competition’s unsustainable financial model.

Read more...

FFA is Fucked!

Edited by Scouser

I feel really fucken shit about this...

Just spent the last few days in the South of the Hunter and even there I could not help seeing a number of kids in Jets shirts.

They might not be very similar supporters to myself but unlike GCU the Jets mean a lot to a fuck load of ppl. They are a true community team - that's very noticeable when u are in Newy.

The a-league can't survive as it is. At the drop of a hat, any of our teams could be gone, how many teams have been searching for investors in the last few years, brisbane, newcastle, adelaide, perth? pretty much all of them.. soon enough, anyone thats willing to invest, will have and pulled out.

AFL gets half a million people through the gates in 2 rounds.... theyve still got teams on the brink.....

Be surprised if we get more than one more season out of this league

Ben Buckley is a thief and a cheat who learnt his dodgy trade from the king of spin Andrew Demetriou.

Get rid of that useless CEO FFA and half the problem would be fixed.

Look it is very sad to see the Jets go or any team for that matter.

Also if a new owner isn't found this will pretty much kill the new broadcast rights deal.

Ben Buckley this is pretty much all your fault you worthless hack of a footballer and an even worse administrator!

• Like 3

Apparently the Hunter Sports Group are contracted to operating the Jets License until 2020 in which they are obligated to field a team and participate fully within the league framework. Contracts are broken all the time when they are between individuals but are a lot harder to escape from in the realm of company law. A friend of mine in the Business reckons that these types of agreements are somewhat similar to Mortgages in the sense that, you are given ample time to review and redefine the agreement but once they are signed they are fairly watertight.

That aside, SHITS STILL FUCKED.

• Like 1

This will always happen with licenses being sold to individual owners. If they pull out you're completely fucked.

1. A-League licences arent sold , at best it would be comparable to a lease.

2. No it wouldnt always happen, if there was some value in the licence. The fact he is happy to give the licence away for nothing shows it is worth $0 or less, with less being the correct answer due to the huge financial losses involved in running an A-League club.

3. There are also advantages to having an individual owner, as well as the disadvantages. Much more efficient and easier to run the club with only 1 owner, for example.

Apparently the Hunter Sports Group are contracted to operating the Jets License until 2020 in which they are obligated to field a team and participate fully within the league framework. Contracts are broken all the time when they are between individuals but are a lot harder to escape from in the realm of company law. A friend of mine in the Business reckons that these types of agreements are somewhat similar to Mortgages in the sense that, you are given ample time to review and redefine the agreement but once they are signed they are fairly watertight.

That aside, SHITS STILL FUCKED.

Given what has happened with other clubs, I dont see a problem here. If all else fails he can do a Clive Palmer and force FFA to take the licence from him. And even if thats not going to work, he can tie this shit up in court till the FFA is bankrupt.

BTW guys, Clive Palmer has now reached the status of Omar from The Wire. You come at the king, you best not miss. His good mate Tinkler pulling the plug now. Palmer has defeated the peasants of FFA, Buckley and Lowy. Time to go guys.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

btw, check Mark Bridges twitter, he seems to think the club is folding. Which could definitely be the case as I dont see FFA having the money to run this club while running west sydney as well.

In b4 Canberra?

Canberra bidders have basically given up hope, imo if Newcastle goes the whole competition goes.

will, or can FIFA step in and strip us of our "officialness" (fucking forgot english today... please someone fix my sentence, hopefully got the meaning across lol)

FIFA can stop recognising FFA as the organisation in charge of football in Australia and instead recognise another organisation, if one were to be formed (Palmer?), but thats highly unlikely to happen unless FFA folds.

If the ALeague folds and clubs go with it, it's going to leave a scar on the game which is going to last a long time. After not following the ALeague at all until the Heart came in, I don't think I could have the confidence to follow a new club that is potentially going to go down the toilet in another x amount of years. Im sure a lot of people will be in my boat as well.

If the ALeague folds and clubs go with it, it's going to leave a scar on the game which is going to last a long time. After not following the ALeague at all until the Heart came in, I don't think I could have the confidence to follow a new club that is potentially going to go down the toilet in another x amount of years. Im sure a lot of people will be in my boat as well.

+1 for me

Edited by NoMorePineapple

will, or can FIFA step in and strip us of our "officialness" (fucking forgot english today... please someone fix my sentence, hopefully got the meaning across lol)

lol! hahaha i get what you mean!

i think licence is what you're looking for.

they wont find new owners.

its a sad day.

There is no way they can make new clubs again if this all ends with the A-League folding and a new league being formed. It would have to be done with whatever A-League clubs still exist and the state league clubs. New clubs would only work in places that never had an A-League club.

Anyway, this isn't the end I dont think. Once the new TV deal is on board everything will be better, I just hope we have new people in charge of FFA by then.

The more some things change the more some things stay the same eh?

sadly, i have to say that that's true.

get 10 clubs running at a stable place and then consider new franchises.

buckley has fucked us over again.

hope Fozzie on TWG rips into him.

FFS.

• Like 1