Melbourne Football

The Australia Cup (formerly the FFA Cup)

MHFC-FAN

Yeah any reason why they haven't televised the games where aleague teams are playing against each other?

I think because they weren't playing at their usual home venues meaning fox sports had to build platforms etc as well and they didn't believe it was financially worth it.

Seems odd though that state league teams are able to be televised but not aleague teams playing. I'm slightly peeved that I won't be able to see the game next week.

Wow.... Great stuff!!!!

He made them look ordinary When was the last time we saw one of our boys waltz through a defence like that and SCORE??? FFS, my memory is shot and I can't recall TBH.

Sign the lad and release Willo :)

Wow.... Great stuff!!!!

He made them look ordinary When was the last time we saw one of our boys waltz through a defence like that and SCORE??? FFS, my memory is shot and I can't recall TBH.

Sign the lad and release Willo :)

Willo was the answer to your question

• Like 2

Which game to watch tomorrow night? The 3 games involving A-League sides are being streamed so it'll be one of those, not sure which one yet though.

Hakoah Sydney City vs Palm Beach Sharks

Stirling Lions vs Brisbane Roar

South Coast Wolves vs Central Coast Mariners

Bayswater City vs Melbourne Victory

Well done to Melbourne Knights for making a stance against the FFA.

http://www.melbourneknights.com.au/melbourne-knights-ffa-cup-statement/

Racial discrimination? What a load of shit. Regardless of the ruling with the sponsorship, it's hardly racist.

Did you even bother to read the statement? The issue is in relation to the sponsors of the club, which obviously have 'Croatia' in their title. These are entirely separate entities from the club, and should they wish to sponsor a team, why is that such a problem? To completely deny a segment of legitimate Australian businesses from sponsoring a club of their choice simply due to an ethic affiliation seems rather discriminatory to me. Besides we've seen other clubs participate in the FFA cup with clear ethnic ties (displayed on the kit, stadium, etc), yet the FFA seemed to have only singled out Melbourne Knights. Perhaps it's because they are one of the few ethnic clubs that are still fairly prominent and still have some influence in the sport. Whatever the reason, there is clearly an agenda, otherwise the FFA would not be so inconsistent in their approach.

If you don't think the FFA have it in them to be racist, then you really need to look back at some of their decisions/policies in the past.

• Like 3

Of course it's about the ethnicity, but FFA wouldn't allow it if it was the USA association, the Macedonian association or the Friends of China Association either.

It's hardly discriminatory.

FFA have made the decision that you can't have racial or ethnic based sponsors displayed on kits in the FFA cup, seems pretty common sense to me.

EDIT At no stage did I say that the FFA don't have it in them to be racist, but this isn't an example of that whatsoever

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

Well done to Melbourne Knights for making a stance against the FFA.

http://www.melbourneknights.com.au/melbourne-knights-ffa-cup-statement/

Racial discrimination? What a load of shit. Regardless of the ruling with the sponsorship, it's hardly racist.

Did you even bother to read the statement? The issue is in relation to the sponsors of the club, which obviously have 'Croatia' in their title. These are entirely separate entities from the club, and should they wish to sponsor a team, why is that such a problem? To completely deny a segment of legitimate Australian businesses from sponsoring a club of their choice simply due to an ethic affiliation seems rather discriminatory to me. Besides we've seen other clubs participate in the FFA cup with clear ethnic ties (displayed on the kit, stadium, etc), yet the FFA seemed to have only singled out Melbourne Knights. Perhaps it's because they are one of the few ethnic clubs that are still fairly prominent and still have some influence in the sport. Whatever the reason, there is clearly an agenda, otherwise the FFA would not be so inconsistent in their approach.

If you don't think the FFA have it in them to be racist, then you really need to look back at some of their decisions/policies in the past.

Of course the FFA has made Racist Decisions...

In many cases they have been forced to make such decisions along Racial (Or Racist) lines because they have been presented with major problems that are clearly Racial in nature. This however does not automatically mean that they are therefore invalid and wrong.

However of course I am not denying that many have been wrong along the way but not all of them.

Edited by cadete

the knights would have had to have known what kind of response the FFA would have, and yet they still continued... Which says it all.

Yep.

Knights put their longest serving sponsor on their FFA Cup kits because they wanted to antagonise the FFA  :droy: .

:lowy:  :lowy:  :lowy:  :lowy:  :lowy:  :lowy:  :lowy:  :lowy:  :lowy:  :lowy:  :lowy:  :lowy:  :lowy:  :lowy:  :lowy:

• Like 1

The irony in a soccer club that hosts Neo-Nazi bands, crying foul over racist policies  :lawl: :lawl: :lawl:

Actually that was the Croatia social club. The club distanced themselves from the decisions made by that group and actually denounced them. Where is the line drawn? Is a club responsible for the actions of all supporters, social clubs, and the community at large? I don't think it's fair at all to criticise this stance against the FFA purely based on the actions of a small minority.

• Like 1

Of course it's about the ethnicity, but FFA wouldn't allow it if it was the USA association, the Macedonian association or the Friends of China Association either.

FFA have made the decision that you can't have racial or ethnic based sponsors displayed on kits in the FFA cup, seems pretty common sense to me.

EDIT At no stage did I say that the FFA don't have it in them to be racist, but this isn't an example of that whatsoever

I disagree. The FFA have only shown a hardline response to SE European clubs, which were more or less the ones who brought the game here and allowed it to grow for decades before the majority of the local population took the slightest interest. None of the Anglo clubs have been met with the same kind of restrictions and punishments, despite a number of them using English, Scottish, etc names and symbols. What about Hakoah? What about Broadmeadow Magic? I think people who peddle the idea that these ethnic ties were the main reason for fights and racial hate are falling right into the propaganda spouted by the FFA. If it were such a major concern, there wouldn't only be a select group of clubs faced with these standards while others are unchallenged. If that's not discrimination, then I don't know what is.

I highly doubt anyone would have an issue (least of all the FFA) if Emirates, Qatar or some other ethnic/national entity were to sponsor a club. What about Etihad, they are a national airline of a foreign country after all. I don't see how it is a matter of 'common sense' at all. Shouldn't a business and club be free to negotiate a sponsorship deal? We might as well ban the use of the words Croatia, Macedonia, Greece, etc just incase a business publicly displays their name and incites racial hatred.  :rolleyes:

the knights would have had to have known what kind of response the FFA would have, and yet they still continued... Which says it all.

What MaliMate said, plus the fact that the FFA essentially altered the rules to suit their agenda AFTER the kits were submitted. So no, to say that Melbourne Knights did this to get under the skin of the FFA is completely false.

• Like 1

I disagree. The FFA have only shown a hardline response to SE European clubs, which were more or less the ones who brought the game here and allowed it to grow for decades before the majority of the local population took the slightest interest. None of the Anglo clubs have been met with the same kind of restrictions and punishments, despite a number of them using English, Scottish, etc names and symbols. What about Hakoah? What about Broadmeadow Magic? I think people who peddle the idea that these ethnic ties were the main reason for fights and racial hate are falling right into the propaganda spouted by the FFA. If it were such a major concern, there wouldn't only be a select group of clubs faced with these standards while others are unchallenged. If that's not discrimination, then I don't know what is.

I highly doubt anyone would have an issue (least of all the FFA) if Emirates, Qatar or some other ethnic/national entity were to sponsor a club. What about Etihad, they are a national airline of a foreign country after all. I don't see how it is a matter of 'common sense' at all. Shouldn't a business and club be free to negotiate a sponsorship deal? We might as well ban the use of the words Croatia, Macedonia, Greece, etc just incase a business publicly displays their name and incites racial hatred.  :rolleyes:

Look I def agree that the FFA got it wrong when they tried to link all Soccer Violence to Club's having Ethnic Ties and it took them a very long time after being presented with a lot of new evidence from the A-League for them to accept that they had got it wrong.

However that does not mean that they were not right in correctly identifying that many of the NSL Club's Ethnic Links where a major reason why the domestic game had  been in a period of stagnation for a considerable period of time and was failing to capture the greater Australian Public.

I think the A-League's drawing power to the whole Australian Community has also provided enough evidence to justify their decision to dissolve the NSL.

The irony in a soccer club that hosts Neo-Nazi bands, crying foul over racist policies  :lawl: :lawl: :lawl:

Actually that was the Croatia social club. The club distanced themselves from the decisions made by that group and actually denounced them. Where is the line drawn? Is a club responsible for the actions of all supporters, social clubs, and the community at large? I don't think it's fair at all to criticise this stance against the FFA purely based on the actions of a small minority.

They kinda had too though, when the media caught onto it all. The point is that the club has a history of racism at their games, have seen it myself.

Regardless though, as much as I dislike the Knights I think they have reason to be aggrieved, seeing that Broadmeadows Magic and other clubs were permitted to have ethnic sponsors on their kits and they weren't.

So good on them for fighting the powers. Hope they take Lowy and co. to the cleaners :up:

• jw1739 changed the title to The Australia Cup (formerly the FFA Cup)
  • jw1739 pinned this topic