Melbourne Football

Racism In Football

Libero

Hi Guys,

I have to write a report from school on 'Is the world a fair place?'

I chose to write on racism in football, and wanted to see what you guys thought.

if you have anything to add, pictures, videos, audio, will all be great, but best of all your own opinion on whether racism exists or not, including in the A-League would be much appreciated.

on another note, Go Heart. 3 points is a MUST!

Hopefully these links/videos work. They're a bit old but eh, could help?

edit: It might be smart to focus on European football (as this kind of stuff happens there more than anywhere else). I've seen in your OP that you mentioned the A-League which could make things harder but here's something. :)

Edited by pip

Racism is bad

yeaah, thats why i chose to research it.

thanks a lot pip... you're right by the way.

A-League does not get a lot of media coverage so its hard to have a history and an accurate evaluation on the topic.

the link and video's did help though. thank you :D

Hi Guys,

I have to write a report from school on 'Is the world a fair place?'

I chose to write on racism in football, and wanted to see what you guys thought.

on another note, Go Heart. 3 points is a MUST!

Mate, the world's defintely not fair. As soon as you figure that out and get over it (to a point) the better off you'll be.

I have a racism in football story for you. I was coaching a 13 year old in the Church's league (VCSA, playing on Saturdays). He was (and is) quite talented and loved his football, so also joined a (former NSL) club that played in the FFV on Sundays, as a number of the talented players in the VCSA do. After about 3 weeks he told me he had quit that club, reason being his team mates kept giving him racial abuse because his family's heritage was from an ethnic group that they (and sadly plenty of others) considered as rivals/enemies to their families' ethnic heritage. The coach didn't stop it.

The good news is that he joined a non-racially orientated club that appreciated him as a footballer. He now plays exclusively for that club and they are playing some good football, with him being a solid contributer.

I guess my point to this post is its not just brain dead abuse from the stands that constitutes racism in football. You can also what a negative contributor it is- whilst the young fella was effected, my guess is he put it behind him fairly quickly once he got away from the idiots, so in the end the main losers were the ex-NSL club who missed a guy who stands a pretty good chance of going on to play VPL- you can guess where he WON'T go to, can't you!

Mate, the world's defintely not fair. As soon as you figure that out and get over it (to a point) the better off you'll be.

I have a racism in football story for you. I was coaching a 13 year old in the Church's league (VCSA, playing on Saturdays). He was (and is) quite talented and loved his football, so also joined a (former NSL) club that played in the FFV on Sundays, as a number of the talented players in the VCSA do. After about 3 weeks he told me he had quit that club, reason being his team mates kept giving him racial abuse because his family's heritage was from an ethnic group that they (and sadly plenty of others) considered as rivals/enemies to their families' ethnic heritage. The coach didn't stop it.

The good news is that he joined a non-racially orientated club that appreciated him as a footballer. He now plays exclusively for that club and they are playing some good football, with him being a solid contributer.

I guess my point to this post is its not just brain dead abuse from the stands that constitutes racism in football. You can also what a negative contributor it is- whilst the young fella was effected, my guess is he put it behind him fairly quickly once he got away from the idiots, so in the end the main losers were the ex-NSL club who missed a guy who stands a pretty good chance of going on to play VPL- you can guess where he WON'T go to, can't you!

ill be sure to add this into my report. thank you very much.

a friend of mine was treated badly like a club also, but it did not get to those extreme measures - he did not leave the club.

thank you, have already looked into the Luis Suarez and John Terry cases.

yeaah, thats why i chose to research it.

thank you :D

No problemo! Always happy to help, I'm a bit of a research freak so I found some more stuff for you. Again not sure if it's relevant but I figure the more you have to throw into this paper/essay/assignment the better! :)

Here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-iRLmaZf4A, here (this one is particularly interesting) & here (fifa related!).

Mike Havenaar half Japanese half dutch kent was racially abused in the past J-League season by Kashiwa fans, the real only real ultras in Asia tbfh. Kicked off with Nagoya fans inside the stadium, apart from their racial tendencies, top lads.

• Like 1

Except there was no racism committed. Try Terry v Anton or one of the billion times Eto'o has been abused.

the case has not yet gone before court and as such he is still innocent until proven guilty.

The saurez incident carries more weight behind it cos saurez was actually punished for racism something that has not yet and still may not happen to JT

agree with that and if you want to read the document outlining the case for some clarification

still dont know what i was thinking to sit down and read the 115 or so pages of that document

hahahhahaa... do you have a link for it?

They can't rely on video footage that no one can confirm the words leading up to "those words" and the ones after it.

They need 100% without reasonable doubt to convict on a criminal level, you can't rely on that without being able to justify what else was said.

truee mate, no existing documents of anton saying anything to terry though...

• 2 months later...

ITALY striker Mario Balotelli has threatened to kill anyone who racially abuses him during next month's Euro 2012 in Poland and Ukraine.

Balotelli said he had bananas thrown at him in a Rome bar before the European Under-21 Championships in June 2009 and if it happened again, "I will go to jail, because I will kill them," The Guardian reported.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/soccer/balotelli-vows-to-kill-racist-fans/story-e6frfg8x-1226375764617?sv=587953c4c9eb1f8e3c8cfc88492a82fe

I fucking love this man (no homo)

Edited by Tesla