Melbourne Football

MCY vs wsw 20th april, 3:30KO(Season defining game)

So we host Western United next Sunday while the Wanderers are away to victory. Might not even need to beat the nomads next week.

Interestingly MacArthur play Sydney tonight and then Wellington away next week. Sydney host Perth next week. Both Sydney based teams are two points clear of us going into tonight.

Doubt we'd jump both but crazily we could finish 5th

I honestly thought our season was over, it was a good win away from home that gives us ta slim chance. Leckie coming in has really changed things imho, defending from the front has been big for us, I think he is better in the middle.

• Like 1

Jeggo needs to stop kicking the ball over his head to no one ... even when he has got time, control it and make a pass!!

Really enjoyed the unbiased commentary 🤣 Post game and they still think WSW can win it. 

JMac really can't deliver on the counter ..

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

So we host Western United next Sunday while the Wanderers are away to victory. Might not even need to beat the nomads next week.

Interestingly MacArthur play Sydney tonight and then Wellington away next week. Sydney host Perth next week. Both Sydney based teams are two points clear of us going into tonight.

Doubt we'd jump both but crazily we could finish 5th

Macarthur are leading Sydney 1-0 so at this stage it is mathematically possible for us to finish 5th.

56 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Macarthur are leading Sydney 1-0 so at this stage it is mathematically possible for us to finish 5th.

irrespective of the result, we always had a chance.  personally, i would have rathered Sydney won since they have Perth at home next week while MacArthur travel to Wellington.

In any case, a win now for us against Western United and a failure by Sydney to win against Perth means we go 5th

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

How do the "finals play-offs" work this season? Who plays who?

I think it's the same as last years. 1st and 2nd get a bye, 3rd then hosts 6th and 4th hosts 5th in two elimination finals.

Very happy with the result. We honestly seemed to run out of legs in the second half which was a shame, but we were able to hang on and get the points.I tell you what though,  having leckie back in the side makes a difference.  He's still a bit rusty but he just carries himself in a such a way that he always makes the team better. It's a shame he hasn't been more healthy, because I'm sure that if he and aslan played more together,  they would've killed the league this season.

Destiny is in our own hands, but tbh I hope we finish 6th and play the tards. We'll know more after Saturday night anyway. 

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

irrespective of the result, we always had a chance.  personally, i would have rathered Sydney won since they have Perth at home next week while MacArthur travel to Wellington.

In any case, a win now for us against Western United and a failure by Sydney to win against Perth means we go 5th

I don't think Western will be a pushover for us, but I think Sydney will wallop Perth.

21 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

And yet they still have the likely golden boot winner. How bad have the rest been?

They have scored as many or more goals than the top five.  It's just that they have conceded so many.

In fact the whole league is interesting in terms of goals scored. As has been pointed out, in our case, if you take out three big scores then we have been decidedly ordinary.

• Like 1