Melbourne Football

Melbourne City VPL 1 team Season 2024 (and other Junior teams)

citypool

This weekend Melbourne city kick off the VPL season which is the division below the NPL.

We're got rivals western united and victory in and diamanti as head coach. To me this competition is a bit of a hidden gem there's a chance for some good action so might be worth getting behind the lads this season. 

Fixtures: https://websites.mygameday.app/comp_info.cgi?c=0-10178-0-633998-0&pool=1&round=1&a=ROUND

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, citypool said:

This weekend Melbourne city kick off the VPL season which is the division below the NPL.

We're got rivals western united and victory in and diamanti as head coach. To me this competition is a bit of a hidden gem there's a chance for some good action so might be worth getting behind the lads this season. 

Fixtures: https://websites.mygameday.app/comp_info.cgi?c=0-10178-0-633998-0&pool=1&round=1&a=ROUND

Is this the former NPL2?

2 minutes ago, citypool said:

Nobody is posting there just trying to get a little interest in the reserves team 

And since I stuffed up the merge let's leave it here but with an edited title!

Edited by jw1739

• jw1739 changed the title to Melbourne City VPL 1 team Season 2024
  • 2 weeks later...

BTW, you won't find much coverage of the NPL on the club web-site. I asked the club about this last season and was told "we don't like to tread on the toes of the Football Victoria...."

Edited by jw1739

16 hours ago, jw1739 said:

BTW, you won't find much coverage of the NPL on the club web-site. I asked the club about this last season and was told "we don't like to tread on the toes of the Football Victoria...."

Sums up football in this country. 

On 23/2/2024 at 7:14 PM, jw1739 said:

What gets to me is that it is so completely self-defeating. Doesn't football need publicity to continue to exist let alone grow? 

It’s not that long ago we had the head of Canberra women’s team bemoaning the entry of Melbourne City into the league because they were a more attractive destination for female players (never mind that they lifted the standard of the league etc).

The game seems to have too many people who have this lowest common denominator mindset.

• Like 2

• jw1739 changed the title to Melbourne City VPL 1 team Season 2024 (and other Junior teams)

I usually go for an evening walk in a nearby reserve here in Moorabbin, and I've noted that for the past three weeks on a Monday evening looks like a batch of City youngsters (say 11-14 year-olds), with about five adults organising and watching on, doing some training for around 60-90 minutes.

I've not seen them there previously.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I usually go for an evening walk in a nearby reserve here in Moorabbin, and I've noted that for the past three weeks on a Monday evening looks like a batch of City youngsters (say 11-14 year-olds), with about five adults organising and watching on, doing some training for around 60-90 minutes.

I've not seen them there previously.

That's awesome mate. It might not be popular but those people will always remember that 

Interesting that I've just received an email advertising football sessions in Sandringham at the ground of Sandringham SC. I wonder whether the club is moving its interest back into the genuine S-E suburbs rather than out in the boondocks? I lived in this area for 33 years and I don't recall local sessions like this in our area before.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Interesting that I've just received an email advertising football sessions in Sandringham at the ground of Sandringham SC. I wonder whether the club is moving its interest back into the genuine S-E suburbs rather than out in the boondocks? I lived in this area for 33 years and I don't recall local sessions like this in our area before.

They should right, south east is south east.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Where was this played?

@Mr MO There's another video shot from the other side that says Casey Fields. But I don't know for sure. The other possibility is Parade College (either Bundoora or Preston).

This begs the question - and I apologise because I've said it before - why the fuck there is this club veil of secrecy over where and when these matches are played, and the results, is beyond me. I used to enjoy traipsing out to Northcote when our NYL boys played there - in the days of Jeremy and Zach Walker. Nice ground. Easy parking. Coffee and foot available at half-time at the shop under the stand.

Incidentally we are close to the bottom of the league - MV doing much better.

Edited by jw1739

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@Mr MO There's another video shot from the other side that says Casey Fields. But I don't know for sure. The other possibility is Parade College (either Bundoora or Preston).

This begs the question - and I apologise because I've said it before - why the fuck there is this club veil of secrecy over where and when these matches are played, and the results, is beyond me. I used to enjoy traipsing out to Northcote when our NYL boys played there - in the days of Jeremy and Zach Walker. Nice ground. Easy parking. Coffee and foot available at half-time at the shop under the stand.

Fixture is on here https://websites.mygameday.app/comp_info.cgi?c=0-10178-0-633998-0&pool=1&round=1&a=ROUND

53 minutes ago, citypool said:

Thank you.

But I don't resile from the view that if the club wants to thrive then it should be a one-stop shop for information. To have this "don't tread on their toes" attitude doesn't help either the club or VPL1.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Thank you.

But I don't resile from the view that if the club wants to thrive then it should be a one-stop shop for information. To have this "don't tread on their toes" attitude doesn't help either the club or VPL1.

At the very least they can put a link to the VPL website.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, jw1739 said:

City plays mainly u18s in the NPL competition although Caputo, Schneider, and even Lopane have had a run through there. MV are playing with older guys including a few ex-City players, Ahmed Taleb and Jordan Bos brother plays for them

4 hours ago, Le Hack said:

City plays mainly u18s in the NPL competition although Caputo, Schneider, and even Lopane have had a run through there. MV are playing with older guys including a few ex-City players, Ahmed Taleb and Jordan Bos brother plays for them

Again, isn't that relevant to members and other City supporters? I think it is. I can't find a list for the NPL squad.

8 hours ago, Le Hack said:

So was Jordan's brother on our list then?

On 19/3/2024 at 4:11 PM, NewConvert said:

Wonder why?

Why? City didn’t get him the academy for I only suspect that he’s not of the required level. It’s an easy one for the lower quality football academies to approach the “brother off” I guess. 

Apparently some of the Academy lads have been in Italy.  https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/20240319-italy-wrap/

Here are the goals: https://melbournecityfc.com.au/videos/id/alw-highlights-victory-0-0-city/6349116536112/

What a fantastic experience for these lads. Club deserves heaps of praise for doing this.

More please City. This is the stuff fans want to read about.

Edited by jw1739

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Apparently some of the Academy lads have been in Italy.  https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/20240319-italy-wrap/

Here are the goals: https://melbournecityfc.com.au/videos/id/alw-highlights-victory-0-0-city/6349116536112/

What a fantastic experience for these lads. Club deserves heaps of praise for doing this.

More please City. This is the stuff fans want to read about.

I wonder whether Diamanti was the key link in organising the trip.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...