Melbourne Football

Jamie not so Young

MHFC-FAN

57 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

I reckon he's going to be solid between the sticks this coming season. 

Gk ability wise prob a step up from Glover, passing ability bit shaky out from the back...

Underrated because of his age. Positioning his strength. Couldn't be worse than Glover passing out. 

• 10 months later...

Don't really know what to think. Overall, though, positive, but I do hope we're going to see the other two given a chance at some stage. Otherwise they'll leave just as other promising young keepers have. Notably Gauci, although maybe he wanted to return to Adelaide anyway.

21 minutes ago, Zanty said:

I don't mind this, clearly Beach and Niuewenhuizen aren't ready and there the other options available aren't better than Young, keeps the squad together as well.

We have a proven long standing record of absolutely having no idea if goalkeepers are ready or not.

39 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Don't really know what to think. Overall, though, positive, but I do hope we're going to see the other two given a chance at some stage. Otherwise they'll leave just as other promising young keepers have. Notably Gauci, although maybe he wanted to return to Adelaide anyway.

Not a fan of this, he’s horrible by feet and it’s been hit and miss, made some howlers in the ACL costing us dearly.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

We have a proven long standing record of absolutely having no idea if goalkeepers are ready or not.

Right from the start the club has not had a good record on GKs. Sorensen perhaps the notable exception - for one season. 

I have no problem signing Young if we had a look around and there was no better options. The way we have waited until his contract actually expired before doing anything makes me think we have.

Now I don't want him to be nailed on number 1 every week, if he is playing well and deserves to play, then great. But there needs to be a look to the 2 younger guys if Young drops his standards in any way. 

At the very least he should be a good professional head to help the boys learn. 

1 hour ago, neio said:

I have no problem signing Young if we had a look around and there was no better options. The way we have waited until his contract actually expired before doing anything makes me think we have.

Now I don't want him to be nailed on number 1 every week, if he is playing well and deserves to play, then great. But there needs to be a look to the 2 younger guys if Young drops his standards in any way. 

Did we actually look around or were we negotiating? I think the latter is more likely. They're short of cash. Mansour even wants us to help him with building costs...

16 hours ago, neio said:

Contract hadn’t expired, they all run to 30 June.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I don't mind re-signing him per se as long as the club has a succession plan. So for instance, Young can do the first half and Beach can do teh second half. But there are a number of brain cells stating that will never happen.

It won't. We don't seem to like substitutions, and that's one reason why there is a steady exodus of young players. I suspect that if you looked at a total balance sheet for the Academy it makes a loss every season, and a big one at that - the money that is spent far exceeds any transfer fees that we obtain. And that would be just the operating balance sheet. If you then looked at the capital expenditure...

It would be fascinating to look at the accounts of City lined up against those of Central Coast...

The way they are going now seems in the opposite direction. How are they going to do it - executions? I can understand one-year extensions for older players, but not two years.

The other point about older players is that it might be OK if you are prepared to adapt your style to suit them. I can't see that we are doing that. Jamie Young a good example. Not the best with his feet but we insist on trying to play out from the back.

36 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The way they are going now seems in the opposite direction. How are they going to do it - executions? I can understand one-year extensions for older players, but not two years.

The other point about older players is that it might be OK if you are prepared to adapt your style to suit them. I can't see that we are doing that. Jamie Young a good example. Not the best with his feet but we insist on trying to play out from the back.

Alan Hansen regretted his comment about not being able to win anything with youth. Hansen later said that he should have added with a full squad of youth. Hence you need older players on the pitch. AFAIK Young and Leckie have been given extensions, Arslan and Soupranen are contracted. So how many more older players have been given extensions given that the club has released JMac, Good and Reis. Behich is also under contract but Trewin has been signed as the alternative player.

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Alan Hansen regretted his comment about not being able to win anything with youth. Hansen later said that he should have added with a full squad of youth. Hence you need older players on the pitch. AFAIK Young and Leckie have been given extensions, Arslan and Soupranen are contracted. So how many more older players have been given extensions given that the club has released JMac, Good and Reis. Behich is also under contract but Trewin has been signed as the alternative player.

Older players in the squad by season start:
Young: 39
Souprayen: 35
Galloway: 29
Aziz: 33
Arslan: 33
Leckie :33
Nabbout: 31:
Jeggo: 32
Ugarkovic: 30

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Older players in the squad by season start:
Young: 39
Souprayen: 35
Galloway: 29
Aziz: 33
Arslan: 33
Leckie :33
Nabbout: 31:
Jeggo: 32
Ugarkovic: 30

Look at those names, they look good on paper some will say.

IMO when you actually list out the names and ages, it's at the very least a concern. Petrillo and Vidmar have certainly got a bit of a challenge on their hands. Arslan is definitely the pick of the bunch for me. And he rarely lasts beyond 70 minutes or so.

Prima facie it looks as though it's the Academy that has failed us. Other than Caputo, who do we see as a starting player recently out of the Academy?

I just hope that we can start well in the Cup and build from there.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO when you actually list out the names and ages, it's at the very least a concern. Petrillo and Vidmar have certainly got a bit of a challenge on their hands. Arslan is definitely the pick of the bunch for me. And he rarely lasts beyond 70 minutes or so.

Prima facie it looks as though it's the Academy that has failed us. Other than Caputo, who do we see as a starting player recently out of the Academy?

I just hope that we can start well in the Cup and build from there.

I don't think that City Academy has failed. When I look at the other A-League academies, they are no better over a three to five year period. When I look at Man City Academy, we are probably slightly ahead. Picking youth, developing them and producing the goods is a very difficult task.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

I don't think that City Academy has failed. When I look at the other A-League academies, they are no better over a three to five year period. When I look at Man City Academy, we are probably slightly ahead. Picking youth, developing them and producing the goods is a very difficult task.

Over a longer period I agree. Just at the moment, not so sure. If Caputo, Sulemani, Mazzeo and Politidis can get regular match time then it will be good for the club. I hope they do. We have had a bad trot with injuries of course, which I tend to forget!

Youngsters who I think will get gametime next season are

Caputo (I think he might be the staring No 9) , Mazzeo, Politidis, Trewin, Lopane, Schreiber and Necovski.

I think we have to remember last season was a transitional season after we lost the likes of Glover, Bos, O'Neill, Tilio (for a bit)

I have noticed both city fans and non city fans seem to be saying that city never give opportunity to youth which is BS, we had a strange season and I expect things to get back to normal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zanty said:

Youngsters who I think will get gametime next season are

Caputo (I think he might be the staring No 9) , Mazzeo, Politidis, Trewin, Lopane, Schreiber and Necovski.

I think we have to remember last season was a transitional season after we lost the likes of Glover, Bos, O'Neill, Tilio (for a bit)

I have noticed both city fans and non city fans seem to be saying that city never give opportunity to youth which is BS, we had a strange season and I expect things to get back to normal.

Never is a very strong word. But I really don't think for the past 2-3 or so seasons you can say our substitutions have given significant minutes to youth players. Hence the opinion that we "don't give opportunity to youth."