Melbourne Football

The Tolgay Arslan thread

jw1739

43 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm afraid I think this is pretty poor from Arslan. Given the state of our season, and his status in the squad, this is very poor discipline. We need a lot better from our senior players.

Pretty much this.

I completely understand where aslan is coming from, but he is way too important to the team to be missing so much time from his ill discipline. 

Was looking forward to seeing him and leckie hook up, they'll never play at the same time will they:(

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm afraid I think this is pretty poor from Arslan. Given the state of our season, and his status in the squad, this is very poor discipline. We need a lot better from our senior players.

On two minds about this. Yes discipline is required, specially from senior players and what he did will hurt the team.

But when Irankunda was red carded earlier the season because of the treatment that Jacob Farrel both Archie and Bruce Djite made a point that too many exciting and skilful players were being hacked without the referees intervening. Then on the weekend Rudan and Arslan reacted to the same issues. So at what point does the A-League become professional and begins letting decent players play? What will it take? Once is unfortunate, several hundred times, you lose the fans.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

On two minds about this. Yes discipline is required, specially from senior players and what he did will hurt the team.

But when Irankunda was red carded earlier the season because of the treatment that Jacob Farrel both Archie and Bruce Djite made a point that too many exciting and skilful players were being hacked without the referees intervening. Then on the weekend Rudan and Arslan reacted to the same issues. So at what point does the A-League become professional and begins letting decent players play? What will it take? Once is unfortunate, several hundred times, you lose the fans.

Irankunda is 17. Arslan is 33 and has played in some serious leagues including the Bundesliga and Serie A. He ought to know better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Two things can be true at the same time. Mustafa Amini is an evil little troll who does this every match and usually gets away with it. Referees need to get wiser and punish players like him. And also Arslan should know better and not react in such a way that we lose him for a month or more. He's arguably our best player and certainly the creative pivot of our midfield. He has badly damaged us in an already trying season.

• Like 4

On 06/02/2024 at 12:18 PM, Torn Asunder said:

Ok, I have found a transcript of the conversation:

TA: "Ref, Shane, you, dumme Gans!  I want a word"

Ref: "Not now, I'm exhausted after that, it was only my 3rd game you know, I did OK, yeah?"

TA: "Did you not see that little Ronald McDonald looking respektloser Schläger attacking me all night?  Look at my nase, its like a paviane Arsch thanks to his elbow.  All night he attacked, and you did nothing"

Ref: "Hey, even though its my 3rd game, I've dished out over 10 yellow cards already, so I do ref pretty good ... and by the way, I don't like your tone, and also don't speak German at me! I don't know what you're saying!"

TA: "You know, its hard in this team.  Our coach is never happy, even though we are trying. And despite the injuries and players leaving, it's just the little things, I think we are close.  And this place is terrible, seriously what league makes you fly a third of the way across the globe just to play in front of a bunch of uncultured morons who are content with Hoof ball, and really only want to see any proper football players get gehackt.  And its wie eine Sauna here as well"

Ref: "Look I said no more German, even though the game is over, I can still punish you"

TA: "This league is punishment enough ... arschgeige ..."

Ref: "That's it, RED CARD!"

I read that the first time but upon second reading, I am not entirely sure that Vidmar ought to be in the running for the permanent position. It is one thing not to be happy about a particular incident but it is completely different thing to say that the boss is never happy. The latter is demotivating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

I read that the first time but upon second reading, I am not entirely sure that Vidmar ought to be in the running for the permanent position. It is one thing not to be happy about a particular incident but it is completely different thing to say that the boss is never happy. The latter is demotivating.

But is this transcript real???

10 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

4 weeks for saying to the ref that it will be covered in the media that the referee isn’t doing his job.

If he was mouthing off in German does anyone really believe that? Seems to me everyone was gunning for him right from the start - 4 weeks was being bandied around in the media immediately after the match. I don't think we're the most popular club in the League.

• Like 1

Well the APL has issued a statement regarding the treatment of referees: https://aleagues.com.au/news/a-league-referees-football-australia-news/

And my brother and I have a partial disagreement as he believes that protecting the professional refs regardless of their competence is the only way to protect the refs in the suburban leagues which is the ultimate aim of the statement is. But most professional sports are going through what tennis did when John McEnroe stormed the scene. Everything in the game is improving except for refereeing. And no one is making any statement about doing something about that.

Bro is right of course. Ideally poor performances at the elite level should be brought up by the club in private and work done behind the scenes to raise the standard of refereeing. 

Having said that I have sympathy for the occasional emotional outburst by players. It’s a passionate game and being on the receiving of a bad decision or series of decisions can cut through your normal controls.
I do hate seeing poor behaviour towards officials at the amateur level. The arm chair experts should try it themselves and see how it goes.

3 hours ago, D.B. Cooper said:

Bro is right of course. Ideally poor performances at the elite level should be brought up by the club in private and work done behind the scenes to raise the standard of refereeing. 

Having said that I have sympathy for the occasional emotional outburst by players. It’s a passionate game and being on the receiving of a bad decision or series of decisions can cut through your normal controls.
I do hate seeing poor behaviour towards officials at the amateur level. The arm chair experts should try it themselves and see how it goes.

Don't agree with my brother. geez.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, neio said:

This is ridiculous, so now we get to find out on a week to week basis if our best and most important player is available. The club should be making a stand that you tell us the findings and the sanction are immediately.

Just another stuff-up by Football Australia and APL. I'm getting used to them. But it's just another reason why the fans drift away, and probably why players don't really want to stay here.

All other football leagues can meet a few days after a game and decide on guilt and punishment if applicable. It’s on the list of things you shouldn’t stuff up.

and of course what it shows if you can’t do the basics well what hope do you have with the complicated stuff?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, neio said:

This is ridiculous, so now we get to find out on a week to week basis if our best and most important player is available. The club should be making a stand that you tell us the findings and the sanction are immediately.

This league really is a circus! Still a  long way off from really earning the "professional" tag.. 

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

This league really is a circus! Still a  long way off from really earning the "professional" tag.. 

The problem is that the club is in it all up to its neck.

I can just about tolerate being owned by CFG, but the directors of APL should not include anyone with a club affiliation.

Edited by jw1739