Melbourne Football

Worst article I've ever read - Herald Sun on A-League

JC22

Soccer flare-ups are only part of the problem for the sport

February 12, 2016 12:00am
TOM ELLIOTTHerald Sun

SOCCER’S A-League has a massive problem — some of its fans are so badly behaved they should be banned from sporting stadiums across the country. Too many excuses are proffered to justify all the flares and vandalism that took place during the Melbourne Victory versus Western Sydney Wanderers game at Etihad last Saturday night. Soccer may be the “world game” but it’s a world we can do without here.

Aged 10, I decided to give soccer a try. Much to the chagrin of my Aussie Rules-obsessed father, for two years I attempted to master the round-ball code at Box Hill Juniors. If truth be told, I was never much good at the game. Unlike footy, or either of the rugby codes, soccer favours finesse over toughness, a deft touch over intestinal fortitude. But I gave it a go. And for many years afterwards I enjoyed watching it on TV.

My affection for soccer began to wane when I lived in England in the early 1990s. Signs outside my local team’s ground directed away supporters into one gate, while home fans entered via another. When I asked why such segregation was necessary, I was told allowing fans to mix was a recipe for disaster. Fights would inevitably break out and the police lacked the numbers to deal with large-scale violence.

As a consequence, most UK soccer stadiums back then separated opposing supporters with wire fences. Thus far the A-League has avoided such physical barriers, but fans from opposing teams are still kept apart.

And, in keeping with their British counterparts from 25 years ago, Victoria Police says soccer matches require far more law enforcement resources than other codes.

As far as I know, only soccer has this problem. At AFL games, fans from both teams sit together more or less peacefully. The same occurs at rugby union, where polite applause often replaces vigorous barracking.

index&domain=heraldsun.com.au&widget=oth

And even the world’s toughest football code, rugby league, has no issues with opposing supporters mingling with each another. Why is soccer so different?

Flares are another blight on the round-ball code. For more than 30 years now, fireworks have been banned from Victorian backyards because they’re a menace to both adults and children. Marine flares burn hotter than most crackers and can be lethal if ignited near someone’s face. Yet A-League idiots persist in smuggling them into stadiums and letting them off.

Saturday’s clash at Etihad was halted temporarily by the referee because more than a dozen lit flares filled the arena with smoke. How does that kind of idiocy — which has since cost Wanderers $50,000 with the threat of a three-point deduction — add to a sporting spectacle? When I attend a football match, I want to see players strut their stuff. In contrast, flare-loving Western Sydney fans don’t appear to care about the match. Rather, they prefer lighting illegal fireworks, removing their shirts and chanting puerile slogans like “We’re not here to take part. We’re here to take over!”.

Soccer supporters are possessed by many grievances and conspiracy theories. For example, many of them get very upset at use of the term “soccer” to describe their game. “It’s football!” they cry. “The only true football!” I’ve got some unfortunate news for round-ball aficionados. The correct name for their game is actually “association football”, a named coined in 19th-century England to distinguish the code from rugby football (which has now evolved into both rugby union and rugby league). The “soc” bit of “association” is how the term “soccer” evolved. And let’s not forget Australia’s national “football” team is nicknamed the “Socceroos”.

And as to which football is the “true” code, the laws for Aussie Rules were first written down in 1859, four years before the round-ball game established its own rules.

Another big issue soccer fans have is an alleged vendetta by the so-called AFL-madHerald Sun against their sport. What nonsense. Through informing and entertaining, the Herald Sun’s main aim is to sell as many papers and online subscriptions as possible to readers. If lots of people become soccer supporters, then the Herald Sun will devote more column inches to it, even though in my opinion it already covers the code brilliantly.

Apart from the poor behaviour of its fans, soccer has a couple of other major deficiencies. First is its scoring, or lack of it. No matter what the sport, viewers like to see plenty of goals, tries and runs. That is why in cricket the big-scoring Twenty20 format is proving so popular at the expense of the tired 50-over version.

In contrast soccer is plagued by 0-0 draws, which prove frustrating for many of its fans. How else to explain their habit of lighting flares, vandalising stadium seats and chanting at each other rather than watching the game? If soccer provided better entertainment, spectators might devote more of their attention to what’s happening on the pitch. Ways to increase scoring include expanding the size of the goals, getting rid of the silly offside rule and perhaps even eliminating the position of goalkeeper.

Faking injuries in return for dubious free kicks is another blight on the round-ball game. Football players of all codes are supposed to be tough. Yet week in, week out in soccer I see grown men lying on the ground screaming like babies until a magic free kick instantly restores them to full health. Referees, players and fans seem to accept this idiocy.

For people who appreciate Aussie Rules and rugby, such feigned weakness detracts massively from soccer’s appeal.

With a few changes the A-League can prosper alongside other codes.

First, fan stupidity must be stamped out. That means any time a flare is let off in a designated supporters’ area, their team should forfeit points for both the current game and at least one more match. That will soon cure pyromaniac fools of their obsession with illegal fireworks in confined spaces.

Second, the game itself must toughen up. Fewer free kicks and more goals will reduce spectators’ obvious frustration. Every other sporting code understands that constant entertainment and action is what crowds demand.

Finally, obsessive supporter groups like the Western Sydney Wanderers’ “Red and Black Bloc” (ie, those probably responsible for last Saturday’s flares) should be forced to sit alongside fans of opposing teams. After all, if their team wins, Bloc members will have the immediate pleasure of seeing downcast looks on the faces of their adjacent opponents. And when the Wanderers lose — which is inevitable — supporters might also learn an emotion called humility. Something that’s presently lacking in certain A-League crowds.

4 minutes ago, JC22 said:

"Ways to increase scoring include expanding the size of the goals, adding additional posts either side of the goals for bonus points for missing, getting rid of the silly offside rule, eliminating the position of goalkeeper, allow players to use their hands and while we're at it change the shape of the ball for increased 'skill' levels "

Edited by n i k o

7 minutes ago, hedaik said:

AFL cheer squads are usually filled with mildly retarded people who live their life through a football team rather than being old and grey. 

LOL - So true.

But they will never beat the "Culture Figure Retard Fans" that support VFL, WAFL and SANFL sides.

48 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Is there a more useless job than talk back radio host?

Yes there def is...

Those PPL who try to sell shit or try sign PPL up to shit in the middle of Suburban Shopping Malls and use the tactic of trying to get PPL's attention by yelling half-compliments at them like "Girl with the Long Blonde Hair" or "Dude with the Cool Sneakers".

It's like fuck off... I dont want to play Paintball, and I fucken hate Greenpeace so dont make me stop and talk to you.

I would actually be a Talk-show Host where I could sprout my crappy opinions based on nothing but personal bias  in a second if it was offered to me but I would prefer to be homeless than be a Shopping Mall Screamer.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 6

28 minutes ago, cadete said:

Yes there def is...

Those PPL who try to sell shit or try sign PPL up to shit in the middle of Suburban Shopping Malls and use the tactic of trying to get PPL's attention by yelling half-compliments at them like "Girl with the Long Blonde Hair" or "Dude with the Cool Sneakers".

It's like fuck off... I dont want to play Paintball, and I fucken hate Greenpeace so dont make me stop and talk to you.

I would actually be a Talk-show Host where I could sprout my crappy opinions based on nothing but personal bias  in a second if it was offered to me but I would prefer to be homeless than be a Shopping Mall Screamer.

dude got me in queensland because i was wearing a celtic jersey said hey nice celtic jersey as i walked in the shop and then i did the retarded thing by replying when i walked out because he was directly out of the shop and then proceeded with the whole where is your family from nonsense which ended up in me donating 50$ month to a hospital for kids. (with the slight chance of winning, cars, cash etc...)

8 minutes ago, Bannon said:

dude got me in queensland because i was wearing a celtic jersey said hey nice celtic jersey as i walked in the shop and then i did the retarded thing by replying when i walked out because he was directly out of the shop and then proceeded with the whole where is your family from nonsense which ended up in me donating 50$ month to a hospital for kids. (with the slight chance of winning, cars, cash etc...)

They fucken suck...

The worst is in the Rundown Shopping Centre (Which is half vacant) on the corner of Church and Bridge in Richmond where I now sometimes use the Coles/Cheap Smoke Store sometimes when I am in the area.

You have to run the Gauntlet of one group always planted inside the place near the Church Street Entrance (Near the Smokes Store) and then avoid another group that is always outside on the actual street corner and then to top of that you have token thousand Richmond Junkies roaming the place asking for darts and money as well.   

BTW that's another thing I hate these days, bums asking for darts... the things are so fucken expensive in this country me and my partner have now resorted not only to downgrading from Styvo's to Rothmans but to making sure we hide our packs away so PPL just leave us the fuck alone.

NOTE: Back in the day when a pack of 20 Styvo's was $8 something I used to always oblige.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

On 12/02/2016 at 3:23 PM, cadete said:

Yes there def is...

I don't think we have ever agreed with you more than about what you've written here :clap::clap::clap: 

Edited by Tesla

Wait for it..................

Eddie McGuire’s explosive flare theory

FEBRUARY 15, 20161:10PM

FFA responds to flare trouble

Jai Bednallnews.com.au

GETTING too close to a flare has the potential to make your eyes water — but this is another thing entirely.

Radio host Eddie McGuire has revealed the extreme lengths he understands A-League fans are going to, to smuggle flares into matches.

Responding to a Triple M’s Hot Breakfastcaller who suggested airport-like security should be installed at stadium entrances, McGuire had an explosive theory about why it wouldn’t work.

“They’re sticking them up their jacksie, is what we’re told, (that’s) how they’re getting them in the game,” McGuire said.

Co-host Luke Darcy couldn’t believe his ears.

“Hang on, you’re saying they need cavity searches because people are inserting a flare up their backside?” he asked.

McGuire: “My understanding is they are bringing the flares in a cavity — not their mouth ... This is the issue, we’re dealing with complete idiots who aren’t going to watch the soccer, who are going to be anti-social, who don’t care about Melbourne Victory or soccer or the Football Federation of Australia.”

Another caller rang in later in the show suggesting security guards were not permitted to pat down the groin area of people attending games.

Darcy: “So maybe the theory about people putting them up their date ...”

McGuire: “Darce, I hate to say it mate. It’s not a theory. I know it to be the case.”

Darcy: “Maybe down the front of your pants but maybe not in a cavity …”

McGuire: “And in a buttcheek. That is my understanding of what has been happening.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/eddie-mcguires-explosive-flare-theory/news-story/5325fccd7d0dfb93385bbad15de00f50

Edited by Pete Heartspur