Melbourne Football

The Sky Blue Derby: Melbourne vs Sydney 2 Jan

strider

Melbourne City FC squad: 1. Thomas SORENSEN (GK), 3. Aaron HUGHES, 5. Ivan FRANJIC, 6. Erik PAARTALU, 8. Aaron MOOY, 9. Harry NOVILLO, 10. Robert KOREN, 15. David WILLIAMS, 16. Jason TRIFIRO, 19. Ben GARUCCIO, 20. Tando VELAPHI (GK), 21. Stefan MAUK, 22. Jack CLISBY, 23. Bruno FORNAROLI, 24. Patrick KISNORBO (c), 25. Jacob MELLING, 30. Hernan ESPINDOLA, 34. Stefan ZINNI

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 16. Jason TRIFIRO, 25. Jacob MELLING, 30. Hernan ESPINDOLA (all promoted)

Outs: 18. Paulo RETRE (suspended - accumulation 5 cards)

Unavailable: 4. Connor CHAPMAN (knee - 2-3 months), 7. Corey GAMEIRO (knee - season), 14. James BROWN (foot - 1-2 weeks), 26. Marc MARINO (knee - 3 weeks).

2 minutes ago, haz said:

Melbourne City FC squad: 1. Thomas SORENSEN (GK), 3. Aaron HUGHES, 5. Ivan FRANJIC, 6. Erik PAARTALU, 8. Aaron MOOY, 9. Harry NOVILLO, 10. Robert KOREN, 15. David WILLIAMS, 16. Jason TRIFIRO, 19. Ben GARUCCIO, 20. Tando VELAPHI (GK), 21. Stefan MAUK, 22. Jack CLISBY, 23. Bruno FORNAROLI, 24. Patrick KISNORBO (c), 25. Jacob MELLING, 30. Hernan ESPINDOLA, 34. Stefan ZINNI

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 16. Jason TRIFIRO, 25. Jacob MELLING, 30. Hernan ESPINDOLA (all promoted)

Outs: 18. Paulo RETRE (suspended - accumulation 5 cards)

Unavailable: 4. Connor CHAPMAN (knee - 2-3 months), 7. Corey GAMEIRO (knee - season), 14. James BROWN (foot - 1-2 weeks), 26. Marc MARINO (knee - 3 weeks).

fuck, trifiro still exists? 

Well I would like to see this team:

Sorenson

Franjic

Kisnorbo

Hughes

Clisby

Melling

Paartalu

Mooy

Zinni

Bruno

Harry

Subs: Velaphi, Garuccio, Mauk, Koren & Williams

If we are struggling to score we can try and go to 4-4-2 by playing Harry up with Bruno and bringing Gooch on to play wide left

I think we will probably have to go 4-3-3 to begin with and hopefully it will work this time

Would prefer to give Zinni a go and rest Mauk

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, silva10 said:

Well I would like to see this team:

Sorenson

Franjic

Kisnorbo

Hughes

Clisby

Melling

Paartalu

Mooy

Zinni

Bruno

Harry

Subs: Velaphi, Garuccio, Mauk, Koren & Williams

If we are struggling to score we can try and go to 4-4-2 by playing Harry up with Bruno and bringing Gooch on to play wide left

I think we will probably have to go 4-3-3 to begin with and hopefully it will work this time

Would prefer to give Zinni a go and rest Mauk

Mauk deserves to start. Why put Zinni or melling in the starring line up? 

7 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Mauk deserves to start. Why put Zinni or melling in the starring line up? 

I didn't think Mauk was at his best against Brisbane

I would like to see some more pace up front, and that is why I would pick Zinni. With Retre out, I think Melling is the obvious one to come in centrally.

7 hours ago, silva10 said:

I didn't think Mauk was at his best against Brisbane

I would like to see some more pace up front, and that is why I would pick Zinni. With Retre out, I think Melling is the obvious one to come in centrally.

Fair call about retre but I dont think mauk should be put on the bench, give him a chance to redeem himself.

Koren and Hughes to start 442 (diamond) with Bruno and Harry up front or we will lose. They all know how to defend against us now and we need to change it up.

Sydney is too good for us to waffle into another game. And I don't want to hear the JVS robot talking up a loss again.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Koren shouldnt play, he will just go missing again.

Agree 100%.

There is no way I would start Koren against a top side. 15 times bitten, 16th time shy.

We will need energy in midfield so that means Melling. I'd fit Hughes in somehow as well.

My man Paddy has been struggling for form this season, needs to lift to keep his spot.

22 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Agree 100%.

There is no way I would start Koren against a top side. 15 times bitten, 16th time shy.

We will need energy in midfield so that means Melling. I'd fit Hughes in somehow as well.

My man Paddy has been struggling for form this season, needs to lift to keep his spot.

I think people who are saying for him to start have forgotten how bad he has been 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Oh, come on. Koren has to start ahead of Zinni. I don't even know why both Zinni and Espindola are in the squad when Dekker is left out. 

He will crack the shits if made to play out on the right and a midfield of Koren Mooy and Paartalu is un balanced. Its been tried numerous times but it doesnt work because Koren goes missing, Mooy doesnt like playing a DM role and Paartalu cant do it on his own. 

Also have a feeling that once Hughes gets back into the 11 (and doesnt get injured) you will see him stay there. The half he did play against WSW seemed very assured and I remember the defence only turning to shit once he went off. Although Paddy and Chapman have done well they are too similar IMO, great at the tackle and raw defending but a bit iffy anticipating the game and organisation. 

Edited by Dylan

If as some have suggested that the humidity and heat played a part in the lacklustre performance last weekend, the forecast for this Saturday evening is for a balmy 20-25 degree evening with south/south easterly winds ranging from 25 to 40 km/hr. This should be ideal weather for football. As far as Mauk is concerned, he is having a good season but I don't think he has the engine to play for 90+ minutes. Which is why he can go missing during the game. Whether Mauk starts or not is to me immaterial but I think that he and Koren should be treated as a pair that one replaces the other.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hakz7 said:

If we won against Brisbane, it probably would have been. But after we lost, people probably were thinking that "It's the same old story" and think we'll start declining again. But hopefully it's no less than 9k.

Look it wasn't a bad performance. A lot off positives to come out of it. Our attacking play should attract people to the game

The last home match was an enthralling derby win. The team is 3rd, and has easily scored the most goals this season. I'd like to think there will be a good turnout, and don't think there are good reasons for supporters to fear the club doing "a Melbourne Heart" in some way and hence not turning up. It should be a good game of football on Saturday so there are no excuses.

I'd like to see Hughes play at CB and Clisby play at LB. Also Retre is out, and out of the 2 options of Melling and Koren I'd like to see Koren play. Melling's form has been indifferent lately, so play Koren as the 10 and play Mooy a little deeper (where Mooy played much of last season). Also continue to play the same front 3.

Hopefully our starters do enough so we don't need match-changers to come off the Bench, but hopefully the likes of Melling and maybe Williams can provide a spark off the bench as well.

We've probably got most of our most valuable players fit for once, and we're probably playing Sydney at the right time, so it's time for the team to show what they can do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

The last home match was an enthralling derby win. The team is 3rd, and has easily scored the most goals this season. I'd like to think there will be a good turnout, and don't think there are good reasons for supporters to fear the club doing "a Melbourne Heart" in some way and hence not turning up. It should be a good game of football on Saturday so there are no excuses.

Although its going to be a bit of a pain, its the first game of the season i am taking the family. Should be a cracker 

20 hours ago, hakz7 said:

If we won against Brisbane, it probably would have been. But after we lost, people probably were thinking that "It's the same old story" and think we'll start declining again. But hopefully it's no less than 9k.

To compare,  last night Mariners who are bottom of the table and were on a 10+ game win less run, managed to get over 10 000 at Gosford. 

Now some serious work has to be done with our club, we are arguably having the best season so far in our existence, have the best striker and player in the league, scoring the most goals and playing entertaining football. But we still manage to only get 7000 to games, Munn &  Co better have something up their sleeves. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, haz said:

To compare,  last night Mariners who are bottom of the table and were on a 10+ game win less run, managed to get over 10 000 at Gosford. 

Now some serious work has to be done with our club, we are arguably having the best season so far in our existence, have the best striker and player in the league, scoring the most goals and playing entertaining football. But we still manage to only get 7000 to games, Munn &  Co better have something up their sleeves. 

Probably a good idea to play on NYE in Gosford - perhaps not much else on? Children were admitted free. After the game go to whatever fireworks etc. were happening for New Year.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, haz said:

Nothing else to do in Gosford, Centrelink is closed on NYE

• Like 1

1 hour ago, haz said:

Free admission for the remainder of the season and extend existing season tickets to the next season

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Probably a good idea to play on NYE in Gosford - perhaps not much else on? Children were admitted free. After the game go to whatever fireworks etc. were happening for New Year.

Tbf to CCM they have done a good job with the NYE game. It's a smallish town so if they use those kind of dates and turn it into a thing that everyone goes to in the town (coming from a rural town I know how it works) it will work well for them.

The NRL abandoned Gosford so CCM need to use that.

Maybe by adding more head butts 

Oh and Zullo has been added to the squad. Finally our defence is nearing full strength. 

Edited by Dylan

17 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Tbf to CCM they have done a good job with the NYE game. It's a smallish town so if they use those kind of dates and turn it into a thing that everyone goes to in the town (coming from a rural town I know how it works) it will work well for them.

The NRL abandoned Gosford so CCM need to use that.

Maybe by adding more head butts 

Oh and Zullo has been added to the squad. Finally our defence is nearing full strength. 

I agree completely. It's using the local calendar to advantage.

I think if we'd played Sydney last night we would have got a bigger crowd than we will tomorrow.

Edit: Club Twitter is saying there's a press conference this afternoon?

Edited by jw1739

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I agree completely. It's using the local calendar to advantage.

I think if we'd played Sydney last night we would have got a bigger crowd than we will tomorrow.

Edit: Club Twitter is saying there's a press conference this afternoon?

Press conference happening now and confirm Zullo is a late inclusion

42 minutes ago, possiblygeorge said:

Bought my Family tickets for this, knowing my luck we'll either get smashed 4-0 or something or it'll be a nil-nil draw.

Also, got a mate that's going to the match, can he get into the active with GA tickets?

when i miss out on active tickets i usually sneak in at half time, there's always a lazy security lady that doesn't check tickets so you can just walk in and find a spot.

Just now, jeffplz said:

when i miss out on active tickets i usually sneak in at half time, there's always a lazy security lady that doesn't check tickets so you can just walk in and find a spot.

It's not like we sell out a stadium lol, what do they get paid to do? Stand around and tell where people have to sit no matter the fact that 3 quarters of our stadium is empty

Just now, possiblygeorge said:

It's not like we sell out a stadium lol, what do they get paid to do? Stand around and tell where people have to sit no matter the fact that 3 quarters of our stadium is empty

yeah it pisses me right the fuck off, they can be really anal about seating. it's not like we'll be stealing anyone's seats.

Just now, jeffplz said:

yeah it pisses me right the fuck off, they can be really anal about seating. it's not like we'll be stealing anyone's seats.

And if we do happen to take someone's reserved seat and complain about it, just move over because 9 times out of 10 there are seats next to those taken reserved seats.

Absolute joke

Just now, possiblygeorge said:

And if we do happen to take someone's reserved seat and complain about it, just move over because 9 times out of 10 there are seats next to those taken reserved seats.

Absolute joke

this should be brought up with the club tbh. free movement of fans across the seats at half time.