• Paartalu
    • Mauk
    • Novillo
    • Fornaroli
    • Retre
    • Espindola
    • Williams

30 minutes ago, Blackout said:

Voted Paartalu as Novillo is going to win this by the length of the Flemington straight. Fornaroli was good, but he did butcher three gilt-edged chances. 

sorry sir, this is the man of the match award 

the second best player award is over that way -------->

23 minutes ago, Blackout said:

Well there is no way I can see anyone but Novillo being MoTM. It is my understanding that the runner up also polls in the end of season 'award', so I may as well give my vote to big Erik.

Everybody polls in the final season award, its a cumulative figure from every round. Voting for anybody other than the man of the match just decreases their chances of having the highest figure at the end of the year and ultimately skews the results. 

2 hours ago, Blackout said:

Voted Paartalu as Novillo is going to win this by the length of the Flemington straight. Fornaroli was good, but he did butcher three gilt-edged chances. 

I agree with your comment about Bruno. Very close, but in the end had4 good chances and got a goal and a post. Given the competition for the vote, was not quite there.

Honestly 

6 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

Fornaroli for me in a tight decision between him and Novillo. 

Fornaroli for the way he controlled the tempo up front and the CCM central defenders. Opened up so much space for others. And continues to score!

The way he uses his body is incredible. He was always getting in the most dangerous spots and his ball to Novillo for the opener was brilliant. Center meter perfect. 

Honestly think he was the best player on the pitch and am surprised it wasn't a bit closer tbh.

• Like 1

It's great that these Melbourne City Man of the Match polls aren't one horse races anymore. Lots of players stepping up this season.

Novillo for mine this week. A good brace and hit the post. Has scored in 3 consecutive games, so credit to him he's performing week after week.

Also very honourable mentions for Fornaroli, Mooy and Paartalu.

Edited by Murfy1

2 hours ago, Deeming said:

Novillo by a mile. But how good is it that Mooy can play an 'average' game by his standard and still end up with a goal and an assist?

It's crazy that Mooy can provide 1 goal and 1 assist, after the opposition went out of their way to man mark him, and Mooy doesn't even get 1 vote here...

1 hour ago, Murfy1 said:

It's crazy that Mooy can provide 1 goal and 1 assist, after the opposition went out of their way to man mark him, and Mooy doesn't even get 1 vote here...

fair point and rather amusing

The beauty of our team this season as opposed to last is that we have more than just Mooy in attack in terms of players who stand up and be counted. 

In the past if Mooy played shit we played shit. And while we've still had a couple of bad games this season, the likes of Novillo and Fornaroli have made a strong point of contributing meaning Mooy has still been good - just not the same old stand out

I do wonder if some of the early inconsistency comes down to Novillo being out injured and Mooy in and out with Socceroos duty. 

So in other words if Fornaroli was playing shit (and no Mooy in the middle) we played shit. If Fornaroli was good / Mooy was in, we played good. 

Edited by mattyh001

4 hours ago, Deeming said:

Novillo by a mile. But how good is it that Mooy can play an 'average' game by his standard and still end up with a goal and an assist?

Been thinking about this.  its not just this game, in other games Mooy has made mistakes or had ordinary patches, but has still done some wonderful things and had praise heaped upon him.  

Basically it comes down to his work rate.  The guy is so fit and is so committed, that he just keeps going and going, thus suppose he makes a mistake?  well for others it would sit heavily on their performance for that half, but with Mooy he will create (say) about 3 more opportunities on top of the one he stuffed up and end up with a couple of assists.

An example is his game against Heidelberg.  Poor for 70 minutes, but kept going and ended up with a hat trick.  The guy doesn't care if he made a mistake, doesn't care if its not going his way, just keeps putting in and given his class, the rewards inevitably flow.  "Impressive" doesn't really sum it up.

• hedaik locked this topic