Melbourne Football

The annual Koren out, Samaras to City thread.

Dylan

Fair points about his recent goalscoring record.

I haven't watched that much of Samaras, but it does seem like he has been played a lot as a winger at Celtic, and maybe throughout his career. Is he more of a winger or more of a striker/goalscorer?

He has provided more than a few assists as well, so he could conceivably add more value then just goals.

And at his age of 30 (which he turned in Feb) I can't help but think he has enough ability to stand out in the A-League. He was signed by an EPL club (West Brom) less than 1 year ago.

I'm not saying he's a great player. I do think though that he could be a pretty useful Australian marquee signing.

• Like 1

Prefer samaras over Kennedy any day. 

bit like saying prefer willo over mifsud both shite 

thing is stew mac broth is that Mifsud and Williams played in the same team. I see samaras as an upgrade from Kennedy. He's quick, can play out wide, Can take on payers. Kennedy was poor in these areas.

hard to take you seriously with an olympiacos picture

same with your profile name.

In the absence of "the perfect" Australian marquee player, and as far as I can see no-one can come up with a name who really qualifies as such, why not make use of the marquee place to sign a player who otherwise you wouldn't have at your disposal? If CFG are prepared to pay, why not? It's what we did with Kennedy - in his case it didn't work out, maybe it will with Samaras, maybe it won't. This club needs not only to start performing on the field, it needs to mend fences and get people to talk about it again, get some flair and excitement about it. It's not as if the money is coming out of our pockets.

• Like 1

thing is stew mac broth is that Mifsud and Williams played in the same team. I see samaras as an upgrade from Kennedy. He's quick, can play out wide, Can take on payers. Kennedy was poor in these areas.

what I mean is, you seem to have a small bit of bias..... I got no beef with olymipakos 

what I mean is, you seem to have a small bit of bias..... I got no beef with olymipakos 

You want us to sign Donkey Adams as our marquee dont you?! Admit it!

In the absence of "the perfect" Australian marquee player, and as far as I can see no-one can come up with a name who really qualifies as such, why not make use of the marquee place to sign a player who otherwise you wouldn't have at your disposal? If CFG are prepared to pay, why not? It's what we did with Kennedy - in his case it didn't work out, maybe it will with Samaras, maybe it won't. This club needs not only to start performing on the field, it needs to mend fences and get people to talk about it again, get some flair and excitement about it. It's not as if the money is coming out of our pockets.

Basically you are presenting the empty Uni Bar scenario... And I am telling u just like the okay looking girl from down the dorm corridor taking Samaras home when your drunk is just going to fuck your head for the rest of your Uni year. 

Edited by cadete

not really, can't see any other option atm that could fill the Australian marque spot unless we go for cahill.

If there isn't a suitable Aus marquee we'd just give it to whichever Aussie earns the most, so I guess most likely Mooy but possibly Franjic. Then we'd have a fair bit more cap space for the rest of the squad. Sounds better to me than gambling on someone like Samaras TBH. 

That's fine. Just treat it as an opportunity to add one more player to the squad.

Looks like you have found the last piece of the puzzle...

We will spend a fortune on him, Gameiro will do his ACL just before the season, and despite being his only real option for Center Forward JVS will insist on playing Samaras on the wing and using the talented James Brown as a False Nine.

And the paper will predict 5,000 extra Greek fans for his first game but instead it will fall on the name day for George or Nick or it will just simply rain and it will just us bunch as always... but now we will get to complain about Samaras as well as Koren.

NOTE: Samaras only started playing out wide at Celtic because he kept misfiring and was terribly inconsistent at Centre Forward so other players (albeit some with less natural ability) were chosen to play up front as they were more efficient in front of goal against Village Sides.

NOTE 2: I have spent enough time complaining about Samaras as a Celtic Fan I really CBF doing it again as a City Fan.

The problem with Samaras is that he is a very frustrating player to watch. I have seen some Celtic games where he is looked  a top class player. However, mostly he has been between good and bad.

He definitely is a better player playing from the left, which in itself is frustrating, because with his size he should be dominant up in the air and be better centrally.

He could be a good player for the team, but I am far from convinced he will be.

The problem with Samaras is that he is a very frustrating player to watch. I have seen some Celtic games where he is looked  a top class player. However, mostly he has been between good and bad.

He definitely is a better player playing from the left, which in itself is frustrating, because with his size he should be dominant up in the air and be better centrally.

He could be a good player for the team, but I am far from convinced he will be.

Edited by sheepdog

• jw1739 locked this topic