Melbourne Football

The annual Koren out, Samaras to City thread.

Dylan

It is certainly interesting that the Samaras rumours are not going away.

Would he really demand a marquee wage though?  After his last season and considering his age, I can't imagine that any clubs in the top 4 Euro leagues would be interested and that is where the big money is.  If Mooy became marquee, that would free up Mooy's not unsubstantial wage under the cap salary.  

The retirement of Kennedy and the failure to sign Maclaren means I for one am getting nervous looking at just a series of wingers cum strikers or kids as our options up front.  Now whether this bloke is the best option we have, that I cannot say, but I am keen to see an out and out striker join the squad.

I think it has to be pointed out that after the top 4 Euro leagues, there are many other rich leagues--namely Russia, Turkey, the United States, the Mid East, China--that will nowadays offer a very high price for high pedigree players (or players reputed to have high pedigrees). Pretty much the New Frontiers of football. So yes I am pretty certain that Melbourne City would have to pay marquee wages to sign the likes of Samaras, as all of these new rich leagues often compete for 30-something players with high pedigrees and drive up their prices (Drogba and Tim Cahill to Shanghai Shenhua, Dirk Kuyt to Fenerbahce, Kaka to Orlando City, Xavi to the Mid East, and far too many other examples to name).

So IMO given the football economics, A-League clubs simply have to throw seven figure marquee wages at players like Janko and Samaras if they are going to come to Australia. If A-League clubs don't step up and meet those prices, the A-League could very well enter a sustained marquee drought.

I can understand other A-League clubs baulking at making such investments in their squads, but I have been surprised by the seeming reluctance of CFG to make such investments in Melbourne City's squad (us spending less than Sydney FC, who are not big spending now and barely spend a cent over $1 million dollars for 1 marquee, just strikes me as strange) .. 

I think it has to be pointed out that after the top 4 Euro leagues, there are many other rich leagues--namely Russia, Turkey, the United States, the Mid East, China--that will nowadays offer a very high price for high pedigree players (or players reputed to have high pedigrees). Pretty much the New Frontiers of football. So yes I am pretty certain that Melbourne City would have to pay marquee wages to sign the likes of Samaras, as all of these new rich leagues often compete for 30-something players with high pedigrees and drive up their prices (Drogba and Tim Cahill to Shanghai Shenhua, Dirk Kuyt to Fenerbahce, Kaka to Orlando City, Xavi to the Mid East, and far too many other examples to name).

So IMO given the football economics, A-League clubs simply have to throw seven figure marquee wages at players like Janko and Samaras if they are going to come to Australia. If A-League clubs don't step up and meet those prices, the A-League could very well enter a sustained marquee drought.

I can understand other A-League clubs baulking at making such investments in their squads, but I have been surprised by the seeming reluctance of CFG to make such investments in Melbourne City's squad (us spending less than Sydney FC, who are not big spending now and barely spend a cent over $1 million dollars for 1 marquee, just strikes me as strange) .. 

I don't think that there will be a drought of marquee signings by the A-League. A marquee is a player whose salary falls outside the cap - and that means anyone. Berisha is a fine marquee in the A-League but as we know he was warming the bench in the Bund2. What you probably mean is that our marquee salary will not attract anyone of reputation or fame, in which case I agree. TBH I am not sure how much 30+ year olds add to the league. I rather have a much younger player but who is not well known that can lift the league.

Oh dear, not another (pensionable) celebrity signing. We need a young striker who can work hard.

From what the club has previously said, it sounds like Samaras is no chance of playing for us, but really? His age is an issue? He turned 30 this year, a couple of weeks younger than that fossil, Ronaldo, as a reference point. Silly me, I thought that late 20s/early 30s should be the prime of a player's career. If he did sign to play in the A-League it would probably be for 1-2 years. He wouldn't be signing a Buddy Franklin contract.

We have plenty of young strikers and if they do work hard and show that they're up to it, they will get chances, Samaras or no Samaras.

Edited by SF33

From what the club has previously said, it sounds like Samaras is no chance of playing for us, but really? His age is an issue? He turned 30 this year, a couple of weeks younger than that fossil, Ronaldo, as a reference point. Silly me, I thought that late 20s/early 30s should be the prime of a player's career. If he did sign to play in the A-League it would probably be for 1-2 years. He wouldn't be signing a Buddy Franklin contract.

We have plenty of young strikers and if they do work hard and show that they're up to it, they will get chances, Samaras or no Samaras.

You've lost me, are you in favour of Samaras signing with us for 1-2 years or not?

You've lost me, are you in favour of Samaras signing with us for 1-2 years or not?

That's not really the point. The point is that it's crazy to say that 30 is old for a footballer. If he was Koren/Duff's age, then maybe it would be a factor.

But since you asked, if we could get Samaras, while keeping Mooy, I'm all for it. If Mooy wants to go regardless, I'm for getting Samaras. If it's a Mooy or Samaras, but not both proposition, I'd probably keep Mooy, but it would be a tough decision..

• Like 2

That's not really the point. The point is that it's crazy to say that 30 is old for a footballer. If he was Koren/Duff's age, then maybe it would be a factor.

But since you asked, if we could get Samaras, while keeping Mooy, I'm all for it. If Mooy wants to go regardless, I'm for getting Samaras. If it's a Mooy or Samaras, but not both proposition, I'd probably keep Mooy, but it would be a tough decision..

Pretty much this.

If Aaron Mooy has a buy-out clause in his contract and wants to activate it there's not a lot we can do except to try to induce him to stay.

I doubt that any of our signings so far are on big wages - I'm guessing that Harry N. would be the highest - and the release of players such as Duff and Dugandzic would have freed up a significant % of the cap. There might be room for boosting Mooy's wage and getting Samaras (or someone else) as a marquee for a season - IMO we should be wary of committing to longer-term contracts for marquees...

Samaras would be an interesting acquisition because it would IMO settle once and for all the argument about whether a single player could measurably affect season-ticket sales and attendances (a Greek international playing in the reputed third-largest Greek community in the world). Not that that's an overwhelming reason for signing him, but it would be interesting!

Close thread. Samaras not coming. Fornaroli signed and sealed. Not sure why CFG are delaying the announcement. Source within the club.

Not that I care much for samaras being signed but wouldn't having two quality strikers be the go if available? So even if el tuna has signed you still need insurance that you have someone to slot in, in case of an injury.

Close thread. Samaras not coming. Fornaroli signed and sealed. Not sure why CFG are delaying the announcement. Source within the club.

He probably hassnt arrived yet. That seems to be a clear change at the club, announce when they are here so they can do it with photos and video

• jw1739 locked this topic