Melbourne Football

Season 2015/2016 (start planning now)

Murfy1

Boulahrouz was solid if not spectacular when he was at Chelsea, can't say I've watched him since. VDV would be pretty good signing. Would be good if theses sorts were under cap.

Would be outstanding to see the likes of Khalid Boulahrouz and Rio Mavuba inside the cap.

Hopefully CFG does impress with the recruitment of Melbourne City's foreign players next season.

Well the FFA made their stance on the management of the aleague pretty clear in the whole of football plan they just released.

I didn't hear about that. Do you have a link?

Oh, of course, it hasn't been mentioned much on here. The FFA just released a 20 year plan. It's definitely aspirational and it will be very interesting to see how they plan to implement it. Key points re the A-league admin:

"The A-League will be an actively managed and competitively balanced league within a stable and sustainable structure. What does that mean?

- It means that there will always be a role for a central body that can place the common good and long-term strategic objectives of the game at the heart of every decision."

and

"In order for the A-League to become a financially strong and stable league, it must:

- Strengthen the operations of clubs by centralising select administrative services enabling clubs to focus on Football"

It also sets out the plans for the w-league, with some big goals: a 20 game season (please yes) and for each A-league club to have a W-league club. No word on timeframes though. Still, I hope one of the offseason announcements from us is a new W-league team. There was some talk about it mid-season, so perhaps it will be more than just a dream.

Thanks for the link.

I don't know if it's something that'll happen this off-season, but a women's team is definitely on the agenda for Melbourne City. At the moment, CFG are pumping lots of cash into women's football in Manchester, and they're building one of the best teams, talent-wise, in the country.Would be great to see in Melbourne too! Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later, whenever it does happen.

Judging by a number of comments I have seen, MC would be willing to have a womens team but the State federation does not feel the time is right. It fears that there is not enough quality players yet to justify a 2nd team.

The state federation already funds the MV women's team, which is also the case for all sides in the W-League. The branding is just aligned with the HAL team but most have long ago washed their hands of actually investing in the women's team.

Michael Cockerill reporting today ....

And with Western Sydney Wanderers and Melbourne City back in the market for genuine star power next season, the possibilities are exciting. Among those potentially on offer are Didier Drogba, Andrea Pirlo, Tomas Rosicky, Miroslav Klose and Xavi Hernandez. Now that's a marquee.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/sydney-fc/time-for-marc-janko-to-prove-his-marquee-status-in-aleague-showpiece-20150510-ggy5uo.html Would definitely take Rosicky. Klose a bit old for my liking, but I could probably overlook his age given the fact he is a great finisher and a good bloke. I like Drogba, but i'm not sure how committed he would be to the club.

Knowing our love for signing injury-prone marquees, I expect us to make a strong play for Mario Gomez as he has had a few injury troubles of late.

http://www.tomnash.eu/gomez-button.html

• Like 3

Michael Cockerill reporting today ....

And with Western Sydney Wanderers and Melbourne City back in the market for genuine star power next season, the possibilities are exciting. Among those potentially on offer are Didier Drogba, Andrea Pirlo, Tomas Rosicky, Miroslav Klose and Xavi Hernandez. Now that's a marquee.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/sydney-fc/time-for-marc-janko-to-prove-his-marquee-status-in-aleague-showpiece-20150510-ggy5uo.html Would definitely take Rosicky. Klose a bit old for my liking, but I could probably overlook his age given the fact he is a great finisher and a good bloke. I like Drogba, but i'm not sure how committed he would be to the club.

Knowing our love for signing injury-prone marquees, I expect us to make a strong play for Mario Gomez as he has had a few injury troubles of late.

http://www.tomnash.eu/gomez-button.html

still makes me laugh

Mavuba is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too good a player to be under the cap, but I could see us snaring Boulahrouz given he's got an extremely similar CV to Delpierre who Victory were able to secure under the cap. 

Int marquee over Koren any day

Honestly I don't know if commenting on every potential marquee with "would love him under the cap" is some sort of long running joke on here, or if people are actually serious with these posts.

I guess Duff coming here for a working holiday and therefore taking a pay cut to be under the cap has only reinforced the unrealistic expectations.

Anyway, if we got VDV, it would be the single greatest thing JVS has achieved (and after all these years, finally we would see one of these promised big name players JVS was supposedly able to attract)

Edited by Tesla

Honestly I don't know if commenting on every potential marquee with "would love him under the cap" is some sort of long running joke on here, or if people are actually serious with these posts.

I guess Duff coming here for a working holiday and therefore taking a pay cut to be under the cap has only reinforced the unrealistic expectations.

Anyway, if we got VDV, it would be the single greatest thing JVS has achieved (and after all these years, finally we would see one of these promised big name players JVS was supposedly able to attract)

Only if we can get him under the cap though....

Apparently JVS did have some decent players that were interested in the past but our former owners were not interested in paying for them.

It went to show how difficult it can be, even with the connections, to get these players to come half way around the globe, as many will need big $$ to even consider it.

If City does go after McClaren from PG, where would that leave Marino? How long is Marino's contract, and is he worth pursuing with?

Firstly, and quite frankly, I'm happy with this from the point of view that too many Australian players are given opportunities in teams where they don't deserve it. This is primarily the fault of the rules and regulations the FFA enforce. It brings the quality of the league down considerably. I'm all for Marino having the opportunity to play but he has to deserve it and at this stage of his career he's not up to having a position in the squad on match day.

I think Marino is definitely worth pursuing for the next 1-2 years at least as he'd surely be one of the three youth players not counted towards the cap. So provided they offer him another contract, that would leave Marino 3rd in line as a central striker. And being a 1996 birth year he has the opportunity and the time to establish himself, like Maclaren(1993 birth year) has, as a squad player or better.

• Like 1

JvS on boars next season 110%

JK - staying although being given one last chance to show he's worth

Koren still 50/50 no real developments from what ive heard

DW, AR see you the fuck later

JH - interesting one, was told he was gone but may have been given a life one (not 100% sure)

Germano - as far as ive heard, he's gone, just too much of a risk

JB - Hearing that we're trying to move him on

Novillo - 2 year deal, 200K (approximate)

Strong interest in Maclaren and Vuka ($$$ is the key for this one), Birighitti another one whos name has been tossed around.

Sort of a weekly update thing from the news im gathering. Expect announcements post-GF.

• Like 5

JH - interesting one, was told he was gone but may have been given a life one (not 100% sure)

Strong interest in Maclaren and Vuka ($$$ is the key for this one), Birighitti another one whos name has been tossed around.

Sort of a weekly update thing from the news im gathering. Expect announcements post-GF.

You seem to have some kind of inside knowledge. I wonder how everyone is talking at the club? IS there this new ruthlessness and are they actually speaking like that? Or does it seems like they are just going through the motions and just saying what needs to be said?  Especially with Koren, after what came out in public surely he wont survive

Edited by Dylan

1 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png GK Andrew Redmayne

4 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png DF Connor Chapman

5 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png MF Erik Paartalu

6 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png MF Aaron Mooy

8 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png MF Massimo Murdocca?

9 23px-Flag_of_Martinique.svg.png FW Harry Novillo

10 23px-Flag_of_Slovenia.svg.png MF Robert Koren ?

13 23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png MF Jonatan Germano

14 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png MF James Brown ?

15 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png FW David Williams

16 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png FW Joshua Kennedy ?  

17 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png DF Jason Hoffman?

18 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png MF Paulo Retre

19 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png MF Ben Garuccio

20 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png GK Tando Velaphi

21 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png MF Stefan Mauk

22 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png DF Jack Clisby

24 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png DF Patrick Kisnorbo (Captain)

25 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png MF Jacob Melling

26 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png FW Marc Marino

28 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png DF Nick Symeoy

30 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png MF Ross Archibald

We have 13 players that will be here next season. So we will almost need to recruit a whole starting lineup.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

You seem to have some kind of inside knowledge. I wonder how everyone is talking at the club? IS there this new ruthlessness and are they actually speaking like that? Or does it seems like they are just going through the motions and just saying what needs to be said?

All added into my bullshit spreadsheet (or bullshieeet)

• Like 1

You seem to have some kind of inside knowledge. I wonder how everyone is talking at the club? IS there this new ruthlessness and are they actually speaking like that? Or does it seems like they are just going through the motions and just saying what needs to be said? All added into my bullshit spreadsheet (or bullshieeet) Background staff within the club and its past as well as a person who surprisingly works close with the club. Correct about Korens signing about a week or so early, as well as info regarding a loan deal for Mooy post season (NYC or Jap club) and also the players who have so far been released. Interested to see if the good track record continues, hasnt let me down...YET.

surely hoffman can't stay. What the hell has he done to warrant a lifeline

and as for Kennedy, how does he get given one more chance to show he's worth? Haven't they already seen enough this season and in training to make a decision on him? Or do they need one more season to see that he's finished and let another season slip because we haven't used our marquee spots well

You seem to have some kind of inside knowledge. I wonder how everyone is talking at the club? IS there this new ruthlessness and are they actually speaking like that? Or does it seems like they are just going through the motions and just saying what needs to be said? All added into my bullshit spreadsheet (or bullshieeet) Background staff within the club and its past as well as a person who surprisingly works close with the club. Correct about Korens signing about a week or so early, as well as info regarding a loan deal for Mooy post season (NYC or Jap club) and also the players who have so far been released. Interested to see if the good track record continues, hasnt let me down...YET.

Its JA issnt it?

You seem to have some kind of inside knowledge. I wonder how everyone is talking at the club? IS there this new ruthlessness and are they actually speaking like that? Or does it seems like they are just going through the motions and just saying what needs to be said?All added into my bullshit spreadsheet (or bullshieeet)Background staff within the club and its past as well as a person who surprisingly works close with the club. Correct about Korens signing about a week or so early, as well as info regarding a loan deal for Mooy post season (NYC or Jap club) and also the players who have so far been released. Interested to see if the good track record continues, hasnt let me down...YET.

Its JA issnt it? okay you got me... Greek construction worker who helped build the new facilities..

• Like 1

contracted, cheap, can fill a variety of roles if required.

Ideally wont get near the starting 11 but is definatly a good option to have in the squad.

JvS gets yet another season to show his worth yet JK is on his last chance... I would say it goes for the both of them tbh

Sure but my point was that JVS so far has had 3.5 seasons to show his worth yet JK has had half a season. 

I'm starting to feel like a hater so from now on only positive posts about JvS! 

JvS gets yet another season to show his worth yet JK is on his last chance...I would say it goes for the both of them tbh

Sure but my point was that JVS so far has had 3.5 seasons to show his worth yet JK has had half a season.

I'm starting to feel like a hater so from now on only positive posts about JvS! dw, you're not alone with that opinion, i also agree. I suspect and presume that CFG have the full confidence in JvS to win us some silverware with all the resources that have been given

Edited by Victards

Ideally wont get near the starting 11 but is definatly a good option to have in the squad.

You always need a reliable cheap utility,

especially on a farm. 

Lots of really interesting rumours swirling about, and many of them are pretty exciting. The rumours really do chime with what the insider said in the Lynch article earlier this week, that "There will be a fair amount of ruthlessness in decisions that will be made about players in the next few months".

Although I'm trying to keep expectations a bit modest, and to not expect the club to sign every player we are linked with. I'm sure the club will be trying very very hard to bring in quality players, and it looks like the club is going to make a lot of hard calls to free up spots on the playing roster. But like with this season, where moves were lined up for David Villa to play here for 10 games, Frank Lampard to play here on loan for an equally long period of time and Ivan Franjic was going to be loaned to us for the 2nd half of the season, not every player transfer hoped for will work out (and often it's not even an issue between Melbourne City and the player, as effectively the 3 moves above show).

It will be interesting as well which players the club determines are "musts" in the starting 11, as the club and coaches are likely making those decisions now so they can decide which new players to bring in. I reckon a number of players are obvious must-starts in the starting 11, but there's room for debate with a few players IMO..

Edited by Murfy1

he's been serving up the same shit for the last 5 seasons

I'd rather a cheap youth player or state league player to be given a chance. Would be refreshing to see something different for once

I'd rather a cheap youth player or state league player to be given a chance. Would be refreshing to see something different for once

Were trying to create club loyalty 

I'd rather a cheap youth player or state league player to be given a chance. Would be refreshing to see something different for once If the new "Archie Thompson" rule comes into place then he should stay as his salary will be excluded from the cap

I'd rather a cheap youth player or state league player to be given a chance. Would be refreshing to see something different for once If the new "Archie Thompson" rule comes into place then he should stay as his salary will be excluded from the cap

Who cares? Hoffman would still be taking up 1 of the team's valuable 23 squad spots.

Also Retre has pushed Hoffman out of the team due to merit, and is a proper cheap utility who can do a job in multiple positions if required.

And Retre's only 22, and has outperformed Hoffman in his 1st season in the senior team. Hoffman's 26, and has had 5 full seasons to earn a spot in the team, and has failed to do so. Young Retre could conceivably get better, whereas there's no reason to believe that Hoffman could get better in his 6th season at Melbourne Heart/City.

So not only does Hoffman not deserve a 6th season at the club, but there's a better (and probably cheaper) option already in the team in Retre. And it would be a mistake to fill the team up with utility squaddies, so Hoffman is definitely surplus to requirements.

And I reckon with Retre getting a 1 year contract extension (and having pushed Hoffman out of the team for the last 2 months of the season), that Hoffman will be on his way as soon as the club can move him on. 

Apparently JVS did have some decent players that were interested in the past but our former owners were not interested in paying for them.

It went to show how difficult it can be, even with the connections, to get these players to come half way around the globe, as many will need big $$ to even consider it.

I could believe this.

I imagine finding players for the A League would be tough.  For Australian players- they are probably more interested but you have to get the price right for each and some just won't come home (or refuse to come to a club that trains on a cow paddock, with a shed as a club room and wheelie bins for recovery).  One advantage of our foreign friends is that we are no longer a destination "to be avoided".

For foreign players you need to interest them in coming to Oz, then convince them to play for our relatively low salary and convince the board that they should spend the money.  I'd expect for everyone you get there are 4 who fall over for one reason or another.

• Like 1

Whilst I understand the reasons why most of the posts are about the first XI, I thought I have a look at the second XI for depth, given that the club seems to suffer an inordinately amount of injuries with the occasional suspended player. According to Victards, Novillo has been signed, that DW, AR & JG will depart – now I realise that the club has not confirmed these players status but in my view he has a reasonable record; also it gives me more room to play with.

The current list has the following 17 players:
T. Velaphi
Chapman, Kisnorbo, Clisby, Hoffman
Mooy, Melling, Murdocca, Koren, Retre, Paartalau, Mauk, Garuccio
Marino, Kennedy, Novillo, Brown

According to Murfy's Dutch article, JVS is looking for a left footed central defender, and two more attacking players one of which will play on the wing. Given that we can have 23+3 that means that the club could have as many as nine new players.

So my first XI would be

New Keeper
New RB – Chapman – Kisnorbo – New LB
Paartalau – Mooy – Melling
New LF – Kennedy – Novillo

My second XI
Velaphi
Hoffman – New CB – Clisby – New LB
Retre – Koren – Murdocca
Garuccio – Marino – Brown

Mauk would be the 23rd man for me as he did not play enough this season due to injury and international duties. Then there the additional three players that can be on youth/senior contracts as well.

Koren's performance this season does not justify an automatic selection in the first XI. Ditto for Garuccio and Brown plus these two have been injured for most of the season. Retre is unlucky in a sense as he did play RB in the second half but I am hoping that the club does sign a natural player for that position. I reluctantly included Paartalau in the first XI although he has had an average season, he does have a height advantage over Retre. Murdocca can be useful but personally I think that his career is just about done although he is about to turn 31 and still has enough pace to be in the first XI.

The second XI has four players under the age of 25 (Clisby, Retre, Garuccio, Marino), three players between 25 and 30 (Velaphi, Hoffman, Brown) and two over 30 (Koren, Murdocca). IMHO Velaphi, Clisby and Retre have shown that they can step up to the starting XI but are not quite there yet, I am taking a wait and see attitude to Mauk, Garuccio and Marino. Hoffman, Koren and Brown they can depart as they are not going to get any better and they really have not shown much. With Murdocca I remain neutral.

Of course I will presume that the new players in the starting XI will be better than the current players. I also deliberately did not differentiate between visa players and locals because I want better players and I don't care where they come from.

• Like 1

Whilst I understand the reasons why most of the posts are about the first XI, I thought I have a look at the second XI for depth, given that the club seems to suffer an inordinately amount of injuries with the occasional suspended player. According to Victards, Novillo has been signed, that DW, AR & JG will depart – now I realise that the club has not confirmed these players status but in my view he has a reasonable record; also it gives me more room to play with.

The current list has the following 17 players:

T. Velaphi

Chapman, Kisnorbo, Clisby, Hoffman

Mooy, Melling, Murdocca, Koren, Retre, Paartalau, Mauk, Garuccio

Marino, Kennedy, Novillo, Brown

According to Murfy's Dutch article, JVS is looking for a left footed central defender, and two more attacking players one of which will play on the wing. Given that we can have 23+3 that means that the club could have as many as nine new players.

So my first XI would be

New Keeper

New RB – Chapman – Kisnorbo – New LB

Paartalau – Mooy – Melling

New LF – Kennedy – Novillo

My second XI

Velaphi

Hoffman – New CB – Clisby – New LB

Retre – Koren – Murdocca

Garuccio – Marino – Brown

Mauk would be the 23rd man for me as he did not play enough this season due to injury and international duties. Then there the additional three players that can be on youth/senior contracts as well.

Koren's performance this season does not justify an automatic selection in the first XI. Ditto for Garuccio and Brown plus these two have been injured for most of the season. Retre is unlucky in a sense as he did play RB in the second half but I am hoping that the club does sign a natural player for that position. I reluctantly included Paartalau in the first XI although he has had an average season, he does have a height advantage over Retre. Murdocca can be useful but personally I think that his career is just about done although he is about to turn 31 and still has enough pace to be in the first XI.

The second XI has four players under the age of 25 (Clisby, Retre, Garuccio, Marino), three players between 25 and 30 (Velaphi, Hoffman, Brown) and two over 30 (Koren, Murdocca). IMHO Velaphi, Clisby and Retre have shown that they can step up to the starting XI but are not quite there yet, I am taking a wait and see attitude to Mauk, Garuccio and Marino. Hoffman, Koren and Brown they can depart as they are not going to get any better and they really have not shown much. With Murdocca I remain neutral.

Of course I will presume that the new players in the starting XI will be better than the current players. I also deliberately did not differentiate between visa players and locals because I want better players and I don't care where they come from.

Solid post for 7 30 am.

What's in your coffee?

• Like 1