Melbourne Football

AFL 2015 Season

hedaik

Carlton playing really well against the Bulldogs at the moment, just wasteful as fuck in front of goal. 

Zac Tuohy is one of the more underrated players in the league, absolutely killing it tonight and this season.

Why do you support GC Shahanga and who did you support before?

I'm a gold coaster Hedaik. Grew up there etc.

as to previous teams, well I've never followed it too closely when I lived interstate. Always had a softer spot for the "local" team where I lived but it's a long bow to say I was a supporter. After I moved to Melbourne I didn't support anyone AFL wise. 

• Like 1

2 very scrappy wins in a row but moving to 8-5 feels pretty fucking good with the youth we have and the pre-season we had. Reckon we play shit against shit teams and much better in good quality games against better opposition, as shown by wins vs West Coast, Sydney etc  

Can also see the youth are cleary fatiguing, but that's what happens when you're playing 11+ guys under 22 every week..

Should be a good game against GC next week, win would be massive to head down to Geelong 9-5 with a healthy enough %..

On another note, what a draft we had. McLean, Dale, Webb and now Daniel all having a massive impact and our first pick was 26. Dalrymple is a genius. 

Edited by MHFCRC

We're the worst team in the comp. Won't win another game this year.

Overdue to start the re-build. Got to think hard about playing anyone over 30 (let alone 40). I also think if hird is to stay he needs more/better help. Might be easier just to move on though.

Threw that game away. Very disappointing. 

as a Doggies fan i still cant figure out what the fuck happened.  been off all day (although Ablett is still an absolute gun son not surprised Gold Coast have been better) so went to do something else and next thing i find we are on a 10 goal final term.

I had to cook tea so missed the last quarter and a half but this is how i saw the game:

Strong breeze blowing one way.  Gold Coast dominate first quarter, good lead at half time, kick a few goals with the breeze 3rd quarter, think "how good is this" and stop playing.

The first half Doggies were poor.  Dropped at least 5 chest marks inside 50.  I guess they stopped doing that, but even so quite a few of those boys just looked tired.  Going to have to rest a few if they want to have a hope in the finals

Doggies have been funny in terms of dropping marks inside 50.  a few of the bigger lads (Grant, Roughead particularly) are very inconsistent.

Boyd back this week should have helped more since he gives a lot to team structure. big difference sometimes between should and actual though

Edited by mattyh001

This has been the first season I've followed closely since '07 and a change that I've noticed is that the majority the teams don't sing their songs with any gusto anymore. I'm not sure if it's in my head or not but it just seems so apathetic now days.

This has been the first season I've followed closely since '07 and a change that I've noticed is that the majority the teams don't sing their songs with any gusto anymore. I'm not sure if it's in my head or not but it just seems so apathetic now days.

Nah you're right, it's been getting worse and worse in that sense. 

Either the players don't care as much as they used to or professionalism is being taken to a whole new level but I don't like it either way. 

Cant speak for the other teams as Ive really watched fuck all games this year as far as Freo goes, we've had a lot of lacklustre wins and our good wins have been against teams we were expected to win this season apart from maybe the first 2 rounds. 

Not saying that you're wrong, but I just wonder if you are only remembering the memorable songs from yesteryear. 

Edited by hedaik

Cant speak for the other teams as Ive really watched fuck all games this year as far as Freo goes, we've had a lot of lacklustre wins and our good wins have been against teams we were expected to win this season apart from maybe the first 2 rounds. 

Not saying that you're wrong, but I just wonder if you are only remembering the memorable songs from yesteryear. 

TBH I think it comes from the professionalism and 'your losses are never as bad as you think they are and your wins are only half as good as you think' attitude that is encouraged now.
The gusto is lost out of the song because players are supposed to be thinking about 'the big picture'.

Still, when you have a really big win, you often see a bit more emotion in the song.

For the fans of teams capable of making the GF and playing Hawthorn do any of really even want to make it now?

Personally as a Cats fan who experienced the Grand Finals of the 90's: I really could not be fucked having to go through the emotions of the build up and then seeing my side play in a unwinnable GF they are obviously just going to lose... ESP if I was a Tigers fan.

For the fans of teams capable of making the GF and playing Hawthorn do any of really even want to make it now?

Personally as a Cats fan who experienced the Grand Finals of the 90's: I really could not be fucked having to go through the emotions of the build up and then seeing my side play in a unwinnable GF they are obviously just going to lose... ESP if I was a Tigers fan.

Unwinnable? 

They're only 3rd on the ladder and there's still a hell of a lot of footy to be played between now and the big dance, people locking Hawthorn in as unbackable favourites after 2 really good wins is a bit silly and a bit premature in my opinion. 

West Coast haven't played Hawthorn yet either so we don't know how well they'll match up.

• Like 1

I still would.

Theres nothing like the build up of grand final week, even if the disappointment at the end hurts.

PPL can try talk up other teams to make things feel less boring like how they talked up the chances of the other horses the Diva beat in her second and third Cups but it's over.

WCE - Backline is way too inexperienced and brittle to cope with Hawthorn options and ball movement on Grand Final Day.

Sydney - Have a really bad bottom six players in their team when compared to Hawthorn which is the main reason these days sides lose Grand Finals as opposed to winning them.

Freo - Need to rely way too heavily on Johnson, Mcpharlin, and Pavlich and Sandilands to a lesser extent to be competitive against the rest of the likely top four and all of these guys are my age and on their last legs.

Still think Sandilands-Fyfe-Mundy-Neale-Barlow shits on every other teams midfield.

Grand Finals are not about which side has the best four midfielders or best ruckman, its about the depth of their best eight or nine and then how many midfield options they can run with in general. 

You watch a Grand Final and the two things that always stick out as unusual talking points as opposed to other games are the bit players who step up for the winning side and the bit players who fail miserably for the losing side. 

Hawthorn's best four midfielders are comparable to any of the other sides which is all they need to be but importantly they have a much better group of second tier midfielders, much more options to run through defence alongside many more options to run through their forward line than Fremantle. 

Still think Sandilands-Fyfe-Mundy-Neale-Barlow shits on every other teams midfield.

Probably, but still doesnt help that Hawthorn easily beat us every time we play them. 

Our best chance of a premiership this year is Eagles beating Hawthorn at Subiaco in a shoot out, and us playing Eagles in the GF (although I couldnt imagine life post that game if we lost)

Wonder if Ross will be tempted to move Alex Pearce into the forward line once we get some defenders back. Shows a lot more potential than the other talls we've tried as a forward target. 

Edited by hedaik

Probably, but still doesnt help that Hawthorn easily beat us every time we play them. 

Our best chance of a premiership this year is Eagles beating Hawthorn at Subiaco in a shoot out, and us playing Eagles in the GF (although I couldnt imagine life post that game if we lost)

Wonder if Ross will be tempted to move Alex Pearce into the forward line once we get some defenders back. Shows a lot more potential than the other talls we've tried as a forward target. 

I still think Fremantle beating Hawthorn on the last day of September is a possibility. #believe, although No Ballantyne will make it hard.

Still to this day believe Freo had Hawks on the ropes in the 2012 granny.

I dont think our city would be able to handle that kind of sudden influx of Cashed Up Bogans...

PPL can try talk up other teams to make things feel less boring like how they talked up the chances of the other horses the Diva beat in her second and third Cups but it's over.

WCE - Backline is way too inexperienced and brittle to cope with Hawthorn options and ball movement on Grand Final Day.

Sydney - Have a really bad bottom six players in their team when compared to Hawthorn which is the main reason these days sides lose Grand Finals as opposed to winning them.

Freo - Need to rely way too heavily on Johnson, Mcpharlin, and Pavlich and Sandilands to a lesser extent to be competitive against the rest of the likely top four and all of these guys are my age and on their last legs.

Meh it was over going into 2008 and I don't need to tell you how that panned out...

Meh it was over going into 2008 and I don't need to tell you how that panned out...

It was never over in 2008,

We only beat Hawthorn in the one time we played them that year and by a goal and before that Hawthorn were are bogey team for basically my entire life to the extent that I was more nervous leading into the finals of playing Hawthorn than anyone else even back in the 2007 GF (When they didn't even make a Prelim in the end) than anyone else.

Also football was a different game in 2008... it was actually usually watchable for one thing.

Edited by cadete

Yeah what the fucks happened the last few weeks? I know it's been a long and steady decline in viewing quality, and the start of the year wasn't great, but nowadays it's 8/9 games that are nigh on unwatchable. 

Couldnt believe how bad the game was on Saturday, wasn't even made exciting by the fact it seemed close as I never felt like we'd actually win. 

And of course the most watchable, attacking team is the overwhelming favourites for the flag 

• hedaik locked this topic