Melbourne Football

Safuwan Baharudin

GreenSeater

His aggression can be dealt with, just as it can for Melling and Chapman. That's what the right club support staff are there for. Some rough edges to his game, but that's what coaches are there to address, and it's obvious that he has a load of talent. IMO worthy of a one-year contract at the very least.

It's not aggression, it's just a shit attitude. Melling has aggression, and that's why we love him. Safuwan just spits the dummy. I'm not saying he isn't talented or we shouldn't sign him, but his attitude will cost us. How much, I don't know. Doesn't mean he isn't worth signing up.

It's not aggression, it's just a shit attitude. Melling has aggression, and that's why we love him. Safuwan just spits the dummy. I'm not saying he isn't talented or we shouldn't sign him, but his attitude will cost us. How much, I don't know. Doesn't mean he isn't worth signing up.

Well then, we have the resources to manage whatever a "shit attitude" is, because I don't really know what that means...unless it's "if we win, we win, if we lose, we lose"...and that doesn't describe Safuwan at all.

Well then, we have the resources to manage whatever a "shit attitude" is, because I don't really know what that means...unless it's "if we win, we win, if we lose, we lose"...and that doesn't describe Safuwan at all.

A good example of what I mean: Falls on the floor, doesn't get a foul, so he goes and grabs the ball with his hands.

I think the fact I was overseas and missed his best game is probably stopping me from being caught up in the hype.

Falling over on top of the ball after being 'fouled' is a pretty common thing to do. In his case, he put out his arms in a very deliberate way to grab the ball, which was stupid considering he'd been given a yellow ticket earlier.

Yes it was stupid, but it isn't Chapman stupid or Melling stupid (elbowing Broxham in the face in front of the ref). 

The kid, playing out of his preferred position as a FB, has scored twice, came close to a third goal, been MOTM at least once and almost set up a goal last week.

He has been a better forward than Williams/Koren/Ramsay for God's sake! But we're so fucked up we'll probably let him go.

• Like 3

I will riot if they lose this guy.

He's been on instagram asking his followers to mention their schools and he will come out for a visit to promote himself and the club. It looks like he is doing this off his own regard.

I have a Singaporian friend who never talked about football. He now rings me and talks about "our" teams results all because of this kid. He's a national treasure as we all have read.

I personally love his aggression. He does need to be careful as he will cost us a game but his good far outweighs the bad.

Sign him up and promote the shit out of him.

• Like 1

Safuwan waits for contract

Shamir Osman

The New Paper

Mar 17, 2015

He has pulled on the Melbourne City shirt in five A.League encounters, got two goals to his name and heard near universal praise for his performances over the last couple of months.

But the clock is ticking down on Safuwan Baharudin's three-month loan deal, and while the Singapore international has thoroughly enjoyed his time in the A-League, he has not got any word, yet, if City are keen to keep him past the end of April.

"I've heard comments that I'm doing well and stand a good chance to earn an extension to the contract, and even a permanent deal, but I have not got any news from the club, yet," said Safuwan, yesterday.

The New Paper understands that an extension of the deal is dependent on City finishing in the top six of the 10-team A-League, and qualifying for the post-season play-offs.

John van't Schip's charges beat Newcastle Jets 4-0 on Saturday and are now two points ahead of seventh-placed Brisbane Roar, although they have played two games more.

Safuwan's loan deal is set to come to an end after four April fixtures for City, who are well in the hunt for that coveted sixth spot.

"Some have asked me to come back and join the LionsXII (in the Malaysian Super League) while others said it's better for me to stay.

"Honestly, it isn't an easy decision, and one that I have to make with my family," said the 23-year-old centre back, who is expected to join up with Bernd Stange's Lions this week for two upcoming international friendlies.

The national team will face Thailand in Bangkok on March 26, with another friendly scheduled on March 31.

The MSL mid-season transfer window will be open from April 1 to 28, which means Safuwan will almost certainly have to make a quick decision if any offer comes from City - the A-League side's final regular season game is on April 25.

Right now, though, Safuwan is just enjoying his time in the Australian sun.

WONDERFUL

"The first two weeks were very hectic, I was looking for a place to stay while having to settle in during training sessions, but it's been wonderful here.

"Now there are no more excuses, I've been here a month and two weeks now, and all I want is to do well with the club," he said.

"It's a higher level here and at times -- when I'm not playing in my regular centre-back position -- I've been afraid of making mistakes. I've played in four positions now - at centre-back, left-back, right-back and defensive midfield - and I hope that I've shown that Asian players can do well here."

Speaking to TNP in a phone interview, Newcastle Jets assistant coach, Mark Jones, says the former Singapore Sports School student has done the Republic proud.

Safuwan was not in the City matchday squad that beat the Jets on Saturday, but Jones believes the defender has already paved the way for Singapore footballers.

"Safuwan's performance at Melbourne City suggests that Singapore players can play at the highest level in Australia," said Jones, who spent some time with Singapore's National Football Academy set-up before leaving for the Jets last year.

"We played City (on Saturday) and while he didn't play, I had a very good look at him while studying videos of City's games ahead of the match," he said.

"I think Safuwan's really got into the game here, he's even got into the box and got a couple of goals, and I think he's doing very well."

http://news.asiaone.com/news/sports/safuwan-waits-contract

• Like 1

JD is fairly incompetent, but I can't see him letting Safuwan and Novillo walk. They both have a great combination of age, talent, potential and hunger to be important players for us for seasons to come.

I'm not as confident as you.

Those two should be extended. I have my doubts whilst the threesome of doom are in responsible positions at this club.

• Like 1

He was left out of the squad against Newcastle as a precaution - very sensibly - after suffering mild concussion in a clash of heads during the Wanderers match.

Reads that he will be called up for national duty for Singapore for two friendlies.

We will be completely mad if we let him slip through our fingers. He's been a revelation. Brings class and character to our club.

JD is fairly incompetent, but I can't see him letting Safuwan and Novillo walk. They both have a great combination of age, talent, potential and hunger to be important players for us for seasons to come.

I'm not as confident as you.

Those two should be extended. I have my doubts whilst the threesome of doom are in responsible positions at this club.

I have very little faith, but I'd be dumbfounded if Harry and Safuwan weren't kept on.

• Like 2

Would eventually like to see him given a go at CB with Chapman. I reckon they'd be an awesome combo. Then we could leave Kisnorbo or Jailens on the bench as back up for if they start performing poorly.

2 inexperienced CBs is not a great idea. Depends on opposition though.

The New Paper understands that an extension of the deal is dependent on City finishing in the top six of the 10-team A-League, and qualifying for the post-season play-offs.

Are they really suggesting that if we miss finals, even if Safuwan is our best player in each of the remaining games, it's tough titties and see you later? I refuse to believe that even we could be that dumb.

• Like 1

Are they really suggesting that if we miss finals, even if Safuwan is our best player in each of the remaining games, it's tough titties and see you later? I refuse to believe that even we could be that dumb.

We must be out of our minds if we are really doing as the paper suggests. Based on our history of end-of-season collapses and the fixtures we have left I'd say we are most likely to finish 7th. But this league is such that until it's mathematically impossible for a team to overtake another no-one is safe, although this year I'd say Newcastle will not overtake us now. Unless we take at least four points from the next two matches IMO Brisbane will overtake us, and I would never write off CCM until something is impossible.

No, his loan deal ends in April, if we don't make finals our season is over. If we play finals it goes into May so he would be given an extension.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure senior management is heavily leaning on all of the personnel at Melbourne City to make the finals.

But If Safuwan maintains his form and Melbourne City finishes 7th, then I'm still pretty certain that he'll get a contract for next season. Nonetheless, the team making the finals would be a big tick for Safuwan, and I'm sure it would definitely make his position at the club safe for next season and perhaps beyond if the team finishes in the top 6.