Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Bit off topic. How can Jets terminate 5 senior players assuming on decent salaries then sign up new players?

Presumably they are sufficiently under the cap to do so.

In saying that, though, there have been so many releases this season - more than I can remember in previous seasons? - that I have had the same question in my mind. My conclusion has been as above - other clubs have been well under the cap, whereas we are paying certain players too much.

Edited by jw1739

Bit off topic. How can Jets terminate 5 senior players assuming on decent salaries then sign up new players?

Would be down to mutual consent

I doubt that they consented to not having their contracts paid out in full? Maybe, I'm not sure. But to have that many players leave it would seem odd they all would have been paid out.

Edited by n i k o

Would be down to mutual consent I doubt that they consented to not having their contracts paid out in full? Maybe, I'm not sure. But to have that many players leave it would seem odd they all would have been paid out.

IMO the real answer is that we don't actually know how certain clubs have been able to move players on. Some of the space is created by clubs such as WSW and Brisbane being able to sign players specifically for their ACL squads, which therefore can create movement, but you still have to have players that other clubs actually want to benefit from this movement.

That's a good point, the PFA is saying that they can't just sack them without following due process and Jets haven't done that. It seems that FFA, following due process, will take the license back from Tinkler in the next few weeks

The Jets paid out the contracts of Madaschi, Griffiths, Jaliens and Celeski, so the wages they would have earned count towards the salary cap. Whilst Carney's contract was reportedly terminated because of ill discipline: 

Hours after the sacking of assistant coach Clayton Zane, goalkeeping mentor Neil Young and trainer Andrew Packer on Wednesday, the Newcastle Herald understands Jaliens, David Carney, Joel Griffiths, Billy Celeski and Adrian Madaschi were approached about having their contracts paid out.

It is understood the senior players, who have sought legal advice, were leading the push for coach Phil Stubbins to be removed.

Jaliens, Griffiths, Celeski and Madaschi are off contract [at the end of the season].

Carney, who has another season in Newcastle, was contacted later and told he had been sacked over a breach of contract.

The Professional Footballers Australia player union told the Newcastle Herald on Monday night that a club could not terminate a player's contract unless it had adhered to workplace protocols.

Any payouts to players would be included in the Jets' salary cap.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/newcastle-jets-in-chaos-as-five-players-dumped-20150128-130hjf.html

It has been reported that Newcastle considered paying out Carney's contract like the 4 others, but then they seemingly realized that Carney's contract could possibly be terminated (and hence maybe not count towards the cap) due to some apparent ill discipline

by Carney:

The PFA is also awaiting a response from the Jets regarding Carney. After initially offering to pay out the final 18 months of his contract, the Jets moved to sack the former Socceroo, with no payout, over three alleged breaches.

Carney has accepted two breaches but has formally rejected the third. If an agreement cannot be reached, the matter is likely to go to arbitration.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/newcastle-jets/ffa-put-nathan-tinkler-on-notice-over-newcastle-jets-debts-20150202-134bur.html

And the PFA have dismissed the idea that the 4 sackings besides Carney are legal, even if their contracts were paid out:

As the turmoil surrounding the embattled A-League club descended into farce, PFA chief executive Adam Vivian threw his full support behind captain Kew Jaliens, David Carney, Adrian Madaschi, Joel Griffiths and Billy Celeski, all of whom were sensationally sacked by Newcastle on Wednesday night.

Vivian said due process had not been followed and that the five players were still legally contracted to the club and protected by the A-League's collective bargaining agreement (CBA).

"We have a CBA in place and it must be complied with," said Vivian.

"The actions of the club in attempting to terminate the contracts of the players, without satisfactory justification, are not in accordance with the CBA.

"If the situation is not remedied immediately we will take the necessary legal steps.

"The actions of the club undermine the A-League, which is a competition that is based on respect for contracts and committed to player wellbeing."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/01/29/pfa-threatens-legal-action-over-jets-axings

Long story short: A-League contracts are very hard to terminate, and are especially hard to terminate without the previous wages counting towards the salary cap. And generally A-League player contracts only get mutually terminated by agreement, which doesn't count towards the cap, if clubs are really struggling and are down the bottom of the ladder, and players therefore believe it is in their interests to leave the struggling clubs immediately (examples include Flores, Sam Gallaway, Jonny Steele of the Jets, and Daniel Mullen and Kwabena Appiah of Western Sydney Wanderers). So a club has to hit rock bottom for a mid-season cleanout to be possible, which means that clubs have to simply get their signings and contract lengths right in the first place.

• Like 1

Going back to page 21 about the pic on fb from oracle sports management:

"Melbourne City FC will be announcing a new signing very soon. New keeper on a short term deal. Happy to finally see him in Melbourne. More updates to come!"

"Melbourne City FC will be announcing a new signing very soon. New keeper on a short term deal. Happy to finally see him in Melbourne. More updates to come!"

Very Frustrating, I've had it with Redmayne. The guy is incompetent and if we performed as poorly as this bloke does in our workplace we would have been given our marching orders by now, surely contracts have performance clauses that allow clubs to dispose of players with their wages no longer counting towards the cap. 

It was me.

Chap sitting behind me - we have been in the same seats since Day1 and got to know each other casually - received a text from his mate before KO against WSW; mate also normally sits behind me but is also a sponsor and so attends meetings of club and sponsors held on the eastern side of AAMI Park and also has a seat there; there was such a meeting before the WSW game. These meetings keep sponsors up to date with what's going on at City. Text said that there was one more player signing to be announced, and that it was being held over until this week.

That is why we're all waiting.

Very Frustrating, I've had it with Redmayne. The guy is incompetent and if we performed as poorly as this bloke does in our workplace we would have been given our marching orders by now, surely contracts have performance clauses that allow clubs to dispose of players with their wages no longer counting towards the cap. 

Not sure if you're taking the piss or not. So, you think we should be allowed to sign players to long-term deals, but then cut them on a whim, if they're not the best player in the A-League at their position? Somehow, I don't think a lot of players would go for that sort of set-up. If the player's form falls below what you had in mind as the worst case scenario for him when you put the contract under his nose, tough luck. A deal is a deal.

• Like 1

MMMM 

not a bad sauce ...

That's why I thought it worthy of sharing. As ppl know, I'm usually conservative in my approach to things...and I certainly would not set out to deliberately mislead you all.

I know nothing more than I've put above. My gut feel though, is that this was something more than an injury replacement for Velaphi, and that this was a "real signing." I'm wondering whether it was intended to be Franjic; even by his own account it appears as though he was going to come to us until his Russian club changed its mind at the last minute.

We can only wait and see.

• jw1739 pinned this topic