Melbourne Football

Our Next Goalkeeper

Shahanga

Could be Alex Cisak from Burnley. He is 26, looks to be third in line at a now championship club. Is Polish but is eligible for Australia and has represented our u-20's. 

Has a year left on his contract but I think a mutual termination could happen as I don't think Burnley are that keen on him, has only made one appearance and has spent a fair bit of time out on loan.

Could be Alex Cisak from Burnley. He is 26, looks to be third in line at a now championship club. Is Polish but is eligible for Australia and has represented our u-20's. 

Has a year left on his contract but I think a mutual termination could happen as I don't think Burnley are that keen on him, has only made one appearance and has spent a fair bit of time out on loan.

Thought of him, but he isn't a 'big name'. Jaaskelainen and Harper would be classified as 'big names' due to the amount of EPL they have played.

I'm guessing he was keen on being 2nd choice behind Tando, was told that wasn't happening. Which would suggest that Tando is okay with being 2nd choice behind the suggested big signing. I'm probably completely wrong 

• Like 1

I'm guessing he was keen on being 2nd choice behind Tando, was told that wasn't happening. Which would suggest that Tando is okay with being 2nd choice behind the suggested big signing. I'm probably completely wrong 

no idea who would take him as #2 gk, you'd think the only possibility is perth as both their keepers have left, he did get sent off a couple of times in the youth league too

still would be massively disappointed if we signed jones

Kuszczak (Wolves), Sorensen (Stoke), Jaaskelainen (West Ham), and Al-Habsi (Wigan), are all coming out of contract apparently. Think Kuszczak is only 33 too which would be a bit of a bonus.

But in all honesty, as much as I value having a top keeper, I would be happy retaining Tando as our number 1 if we couldn't find a better Aussie keeper.

Having a top notch goalkeeper with a reputation also means the striker bearing down on them will think twice about their shot and potentially butcher it.

Imagine a young kid running toward say Peter Schmeichel or Oliver Kahn (extreme examples I know) and their presence running out at you, my amateur skills would probably nicely pass the ball straight into their hands. 

Kuszczak (Wolves), Sorensen (Stoke), Jaaskelainen (West Ham), and Al-Habsi (Wigan), are all coming out of contract apparently. Think Kuszczak is only 33 too which would be a bit of a bonus.

But in all honesty, as much as I value having a top keeper, I would be happy retaining Tando as our number 1 if we couldn't find a better Aussie keeper.

Seen pictures of one of them at one of those CFG training things in the UAE

• Like 1

Go ahead...

Go ahead...

https://mobile.twitter.com/TSorensen1/status/606700342466637824

Don't think it means much though seeing as his Wikipedia page says he's retired and he's currently cycling around the U.S. 

According to his Twitter he was finishing his bike training in Denmark on 19th June and departing for the USA "on Tuesday" - i.e. today.

• 3 weeks later...

When I started this thread I was both concerned about the actual goalkeeper and the coaching.  

When I reflected on our goalkeeping fortunes, it seemed to me that the first 2 seasons were great (in fact I thought Bolton was player of the year both times), then started plummeting in season 3, only to start lifting again through last year.  It might be coincidence, but the downturn seems to match the period between Zois and Bolton.

I got the impression though that Clint was only an interim measure as coach?  Anyone know who the keeper coach will be this year?  I'd be pretty disappointed if they went back to relatives again.

• 4 weeks later...