Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

He will now be sacked, of that I am certain. CFG have effectively sacked a man who has led his team to the semi finals of the European Champions League so they will not hesitate to sack JVS after seeing the season go up in flames with 3 abject defeats in the last 4 games.

I do not believe that JVS is as poor a manager as his more strident critics on here suggest but ultimately he has failed and must go. 

• Like 1

We got players off their contracts and don't want this cunt to mess up our squad, enough already, get in a new manager so that he can shape our squad for next season.. no time to fuck around.. CFG get on it.. Sack him!!!

Edited by raw10
  • Like 1

New York City played their last game of the 2015 season on Sunday the 25th of October, Jason Kreis was sacked on the 2nd of November. Roughly a week later.

So i'd give CFG close to a week before we hear of JVS's sacking this coming Thursday at 10am!

Edited by haz

Yep- he's got to be gone. His lack of ability to motivate the team is clear, and his substitutions and lack of imagination in making them is detrimental to the team.

Two of the best seasons ever had by 2 players in the league, and we came 4th and get spanked in the semi.

Last time 2 players had seasons anywhere near as good as Bruno and Mooy, the Roar ( Broich/Berisha) set an Australian Sporting record for most games unbeaten. 

We need to make the decision as soon as possible, and get a new manager in to work with Petrillo to re-develop the squad. 

Edited by tommac

I hope we get a new manager, but to be honest I think they'll keep him. 

I'm not as depressed about that as seemingly everyone else is, I think we can win a championship with him.

Getting our marquee and all visa signings right next year more crucial than replacing JVS for mine.

Having said that, I hope he's gone. Surely CFG can find a seriously good manager.

17 minutes ago, JC22 said:

I hope we get a new manager, but to be honest I think they'll keep him. 

I'm not as depressed about that as seemingly everyone else is, I think we can win a championship with him.

Getting our marquee and all visa signings right next year more crucial than replacing JVS for mine.

Having said that, I hope he's gone. Surely CFG can find a seriously good manager.

Whilst that is partially true, I still think the age-old saying about a champion team beating a team of champions has applied to the A-league since Postecoglou's Brisbane.  Amour just confirmed it. The manager is King.

1 minute ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

The manager is King.

This.

Plus, if for no other reason, a manager who has had the same role for four and a half seasons and the best he has done is finishing 4th out of 10 does not deserve a job. Just on principle alone.

I actually agree that we can win with him in charge. Not because i have any faith in JVS what so ever, but because CFG may possibly be able to find him enough "help" from within the organization that he will appear competent. Basically i believe they will work out the cost of paying him out compared the cost of sending him "help" and will go with whatever is cheaper.

8 minutes ago, DAM10 said:

I blame the players for their inconsistency and in particular the so called "main ones" for not showing up on the night. 

Hahaha. This old excuse. You have not noticed a pattern in the team performances coached by JVS over his four and a half seasons in charge?

17 minutes ago, DAM10 said:

I don't blame JVS for yesterday's loss. He played the same 11 that a week ago were brilliant  v the glory. I blame the players for their inconsistency and in particular the so called "main ones" for not showing up on the night. 

hahaha .. this is pretty much what JvS will say when he meets CFG's board.."Not my fault, the players just don't follow my instructions!" 

38 minutes ago, DAM10 said:

I don't blame JVS for yesterday's loss. He played the same 11 that a week ago were brilliant  v the glory. I blame the players for their inconsistency and in particular the so called "main ones" for not showing up on the night. 

Right, so what did jvs learn tactically from the adelaide match 2 weeks ago ? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luke said:

Right, so what did jvs learn tactically from the adelaide match 2 weeks ago ? 

What he learnt was to play exactly the same way because it worked last time. What Amor learnt was that JVS doesn't learn and so he knew exactly what JVS' game plan was going to be

22 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

"...For the fourth season in a row!"

outa likes. 

This would be my second last sentence to him, followed by "your airline ticket is by the front door, plane leaves tomorrow"

59 minutes ago, DAM10 said:

I don't blame JVS for yesterday's loss. He played the same 11 that a week ago were brilliant  v the glory.

Which makes it even more obvious it's his fault in my eyes. Shows the players have the talent but the manager can't get the best out of them at all consistently and can't adapt.

Honestly can't believe I'm still arguing against blaming the players six seasons later. I remember arguing against blaming the players in the first season.

Whilst I find it amusing that people condemn players for their inconsistency, I keep thinking "a fish rots from the head".  Some of JVSs decisions this year have been dumbfounding - even Kisnorbo coming off last night had me totally bemused - the problem was in midfield and not the back four, and Caceras looked cooked. 

You can't demand consistency from your players with baffling merry-go-round squad selection, constant formation change (how can anyone settle), baffling substitutions and poor game day reactions to problems. Players sense this and live in a bemused culture of mediocrity. Get someone in who knows what they're doing and can motivate a team, and belief grows - players will crash through brick walls to please a coach they respect. 

It's time.............please!! 

Edited by Defibrillator

I keep coming back to our midfield.

At the start of the season we had Paartalu, Mooy and Koren. In theory, should have been best in the league.

Two of those guys were failures and we ended up with Malik, Mooy and Caceres. Competent yes, but all the teams that finished above have better midfields. Blanket Mooy and it becomes much worse.

You can have Marco van Basten up front and it would amount to nothing if he doesn't get proper service. 

JvS could have improved it this midseason, instead we regressed under his decision making.

Just please leave. Please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

I'm just going to spam city voice until JVS is sacked and Bruno is confirmed as marquee 

Lol, it looks pretty good now-- I already see two posts up asking him to be sacked. Imagine it was flooded with Sack JVS posts. Get on it every1

The individual ability of players is the most overrated thing in football.

Leicester are about to win the EPL with a team of players you would have thought were bound for the Championship at the start of the season.

Obviously individual ability is important, just not as much as a lot of people seem to make it out to be. As long as there isn't a huge difference between the teams, a lot of it comes down to getting the players motivated, and most importantly having the right tactics on the day.

That's why it's a well accepted fact globally that a team's performance primarily comes down to the manager, hence why they live and die by their results.

And it's time JVS was held accountable for his results.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 6

On 23/04/2016 at 4:49 PM, rass said:

I keep coming back to our midfield.

At the start of the season we had Paartalu, Mooy and Koren. In theory, should have been best in the league.

Two of those guys were failures and we ended up with Malik, Mooy and Caceres. Competent yes, but all the teams that finished above have better midfields. Blanket Mooy and it becomes much worse.

You can have Marco van Basten up front and it would amount to nothing if he doesn't get proper service. 

JvS could have improved it this midseason, instead we regressed under his decision making.

Just please leave. Please.

Agree 100%. Absolutely poor recruiting again from our football department. The best teams have experienced and well performing players in the middle of the pitch. We rely pretty much on Mooy and an inexperienced or just ordinary supporting cast. Just look at what options the other top 4 teams had in the midfield. IMO, WSW has the strongest with Nichols, Dimas and Andreu then AU with Carrusca, Isaias, Mauk and then Roar Corona, Broich, McKay, next is daylight then us. Is it any wonder that we couldn't keep the ball in the centre of the pitch :droy:

Again, 6 years to build a high performing squad and we failed.

Midfielders      

Roar AU WSW City
Corona Mate Dugandzic Mitch Nichols Aaron Mooy
Steven Lustica Stefan Mauk Dimas James Brown
Devante Clut Isaías Liam Youlley Jason Trifiro
Matt McKay Marcelo Carrusca Kearyn Baccus Jacob Melling
Javier Hervás Craig Goodwin Andreu Anthony Cáceres
Thomas Broich George Mells Jacob Pepper Paulo Retre
  Bruce Kamau Alusine Fofanah Ben Garuccio
    Matt Sim Nick Fitzgerald
Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

Agree 100%. Absolutely poor recruiting again from our football department. The best teams have experienced and well performing players in the middle of the pitch. We rely pretty much on Mooy and an inexperienced or just ordinary supporting cast. Just look at what options the other top 4 teams had in the midfield. IMO, WSW has the strongest with Nichols, Dimas and Andreu then AU with Carrusca, Isaias, Mauk and then Roar Corona, Broich, McKay, next is daylight then us. Is it any wonder that we couldn't keep the ball in the centre of the pitch :droy:

Again, 6 years to build a high performing squad and we failed.

Midfielders      

Roar AU WSW City
Corona Mate Dugandzic Mitch Nichols Aaron Mooy
Steven Lustica Stefan Mauk Dimas James Brown
Devante Clut Isaías Liam Youlley Jason Trifiro
Matt McKay Marcelo Carrusca Kearyn Baccus Jacob Melling
Javier Hervás Craig Goodwin Andreu Anthony Cáceres
Thomas Broich George Mells Jacob Pepper Paulo Retre
  Bruce Kamau Alusine Fofanah Ben Garuccio
    Matt Sim Nick Fitzgerald

We had one of the best midfield this year and I would say the best squad. Recruiting issnt our problem, its the man in charge that is and has been throughout our existence, our biggest issue. How on earth do you have the leagues two best players and end up bottling the premiership and falling apart in the semi? 

FWIW I would not be surprised at all if it was also JVS' training methods that lead to the end of season injury list. 

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

Yup. Definitely our squad thats the problem. Cant be anything else

1fd5pcsfxip.gif

Where does it say that our failure this season has to be a result of an exclusive event?

Too many people on here think it's either the manager or the squad.

Well imo, it's both. Our midfield is good, but there are better - and they all finished above us.  If you think that as a midfield unit Mooy, Malik and Caceres is better than Andreu, Dimas and Nichols - or Carrusca, Isaias and Mauk - or McKay, Corona and Petratos - then you're dreaming. That's the squad argument. 

..and for the manager, well what hasn't been said already? He had a golden chance to address the above issue and didn't. Add his inability to motivate, make sound decisions tactically and just manage in general - and you have someone who can not take this club further. He just has to go. 

In summary, we can't win silverware with the same squad and different manager, nor can we win it with a different squad and same manager.

We need a new manager and a stronger squad (midfield at least).

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, rass said:

In summary, we can't win silverware with the same squad and different manager, nor can we win it with a different squad and same manager.

We need a new manager and a stronger squad (midfield at least).

Agree. Didulica (and Little Bro' Nepotism too) should go as well as van 't Schip. And the squad simply wasn't good enough once we got past our best starting eleven. Our bench always looked weak, without a single game-changer; much of the time we had kids sitting there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rass said:

In summary, we can't win silverware with the same squad and different manager,

Bullshit. That is total bullshit. We were 2 wins from winning the Premiership with that squad you speak of. A high quality manager would have got the best out of the team when it mattered and won the damn thing.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Alexxxandro said:

Bullshit. That is total bullshit. We were 2 wins from winning the Premiership with that squad you speak of. A high quality manager would have got the best out of the team when it mattered and won the damn thing.

This. Completely fucking this. When we needed to be strong we fucking crumbled. We outplayed everyone by a fucking mile when the pressure wasnt on us but as soon as we needed to be hard we pissed it away.

THAT IS 100% A LEADERSHIP ISSUE

• Like 3