Melbourne Football

The Frank Lampard thread

Parrot

They asked about Australia specifically. Reyna basically said "we have to sit down and discuss with Frank this week. There are a few options". Read into that what you will.

My thoughts: if we are allowed to have him here with the FFA, we will.

didn't they say a similar thing when villa was signed? "we will explore some options"

didn't they say a similar thing when villa was signed? "we will explore some options"

Yeah they did. That's what makes me think he'll becoming here. I'd say they already know, and are saving it for our press conference. I guess there could also be FFA red tape over the use of two concurrent guest stints.

Very interesting responses about where Lampard will be until NYCFC start playing.

Their football director said "We're going to use the rest of the week to make a decision that's best for the club in terms of getting him ready for 2015", suggesting it'll take just a few days to sort out a decision. How could a loan move take only a few days to sort out? I reckon where-ever Lampard is going, or whatever he's doing until NYCFC it's already been organised.

I also agree that it's almost identical to the Villa situation. Very vague, unclear and non-committal about what he'll do until NYCFC start playing, mention of "a few options" and then a week later we got the letter from Soriano and the announcement about a loan here.

I think there were a few hints that we could be the go. First Lampard really underlined that he was very impressed with the "project" and the "long term plan" behind NYCFC. Well the City group is behind most of the long term planning, and the fact that multiple clubs are owned by the same owners are what make NYCFC and Melbourne City a unique "project" (and IIRC, Villa spoke highly of "the project" before his loan move was announced here as well"). A second thing was that curious question about the heat, and with Lampard's response it suggested that he was aware that he'll have to adapt to the warmer conditions. And where better to adapt to warmer conditions than Australia in the summer? And lastly the more I think about it, the more I think that NYCFC's people would like their star players Villa and Lampard to play well together and have 'a connection' on the pitch, and the surest way to make sure they start playing very well together when NYCFC start playing would be to send both Villa and Lampard to Melbourne City.

I think it would almost be overkill for us to get both Villa and Lampard on short term loan deals next season, as well as an international marquee like Koren and an Australian marquee such as Kennedy (but it would be very awesome, of course). I think it's a win-win scenario whatever happens,  

• Like 1

Now I do t know who controls the clubs twitter and what they might know or don't know. But they've only favourited one tweet in 20 hours and that is this one.

@NYCFC: .@CReynaNYCFC: "We're going to use the rest of the week to make a decision that's best for the club in terms of getting him ready for 2015."

https://twitter.com/NYCFC/status/492320562988191745

Very interesting responses about where Lampard will be until NYCFC start playing.

Their football director said "We're going to use the rest of the week to make a decision that's best for the club in terms of getting him ready for 2015", suggesting it'll take just a few days to sort out a decision. How could a loan move take only a few days to sort out? I reckon where-ever Lampard is going, or whatever he's doing until NYCFC it's already been organised.

I also agree that it's almost identical to the Villa situation. Very vague, unclear and non-committal about what he'll do until NYCFC start playing, mention of "a few options" and then a week later we got the letter from Soriano and the announcement about a loan here.

I think there were a few hints that we could be the go. First Lampard really underlined that he was very impressed with the "project" and the "long term plan" behind NYCFC. Well the City group is behind most of the long term planning, and the fact that multiple clubs are owned by the same owners are what make NYCFC and Melbourne City a unique "project" (and IIRC, Villa spoke highly of "the project" before his loan move was announced here as well"). A second thing was that curious question about the heat, and with Lampard's response it suggested that he was aware that he'll have to adapt to the warmer conditions. And where better to adapt to warmer conditions than Australia in the summer? And lastly the more I think about it, the more I think that NYCFC's people would like their star players Villa and Lampard to play well together and have 'a connection' on the pitch, and the surest way to make sure they start playing very well together when NYCFC start playing would be to send both Villa and Lampard to Melbourne City.

I think it would almost be overkill for us to get both Villa and Lampard on short term loan deals next season, as well as an international marquee like Koren and an Australian marquee such as Kennedy (but it would be very awesome, of course). I think it's a win-win scenario whatever happens,  

That sounds logical. They probably wouldn't have to leave until Round 15 (first week of January), so, assuming they were to both play 10 games, I was kind of hoping they'd set something up like Lampard-only for five, Villa-only for five and both of them for five (it would be brilliant if we went with both only at home games, though I guess if we need to make the deal sweeter for FFA, we'd have to commit to having them both line up for at least some away games), which would help our team stand on its own two feet, to some extent, but realistically, splitting their time in the team is probably not the best thing for NYC.

But who cares how they use him? If we get Lampard, on top of what we already have it will be amazing.

That sounds logical. They probably wouldn't have to leave until Round 15 (first week of January), so, assuming they were to both play 10 games, I was kind of hoping they'd set something up like Lampard-only for five, Villa-only for five and both of them for five (it would be brilliant if we went with both only at home games, though I guess if we need to make the deal sweeter for FFA, we'd have to commit to having them both line up for at least some away games), which would help our team stand on its own two feet, to some extent, but realistically, splitting their time in the team is probably not the best thing for NYC.

But who cares how they use him? If we get Lampard, on top of what we already have it will be amazing.

An interesting angle behind this is how all these announcements affect off-field activities. We're already seeing a massive increase in people buying season tickets, nodoubt related to the ManC connection and now putting together an exciting squad. Whether Lamps plays in any significant way for us or is more used very sparingly within the rules of FFA, just his presence in Melbourne alongside Villa, Koren and then maybe Josh will have such an incredible impact on the way our club is perceived. If the intention of CFG was to really put behind the era and stench of mediocrity left by Sidwell et al, then they're going about it pretty impressively IMO. It'll be up to JVS, the coaching staff and players to translate the good vibe to onfield performance. A solid finals appearance and hopefully a shot at winning something.

As impressive and gratifying the changes have been on-pitch I must admit that in Manchester the really big difference have been changes off-pitch.. and that was something that I hardly even imagined in my wet dreams.

Edited by M13

He also ran with a story last year that we were going to sign Kevin Gamiero, HAHA HAHA! :clap::droy:

Yes I remember, well time will tell, either FFA have royally fucked us and blocked any attempt get Lampard here and pay him outside/ minimal of the cap or the City Group are playing it well and we will find out soon........or.........they genuinely are unsure as of yet. 

Villa will prepare for the MLS campaign starting in March by spending a 10-game spell with Melbourne City in the A-League, though Lampard is not confirmed to be following suit.

"I'm going to keep fit," he explained. "How I'll do that is not clear yet I’m going to sit with [director of football operations] Claudio [Reyna] and [head coach] Jason [Kreiss] and find the best way forward."

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/lampard-joins-new-york-city#2xQhcwxx4BLtUkRd.99

• Like 1

The article clarifies Villa becoming the 'guest' player not a 'loan' player, it talks about 'no room' for him, so that plus Koren becoming the marque I think adds strength to the rumor going around earlier that we were trying to get him as a loan player or marque until Jan (when we were going to try to get a replacement marque) but we were blocked by the FFA.

He also ran with a story last year that we were going to sign Kevin Gamiero, HAHA HAHA! :clap::droy:

Yes I remember, well time will tell, either FFA have royally fucked us and blocked any attempt get Lampard here and pay him outside/ minimal of the cap or the City Group are playing it well and we will find out soon........or.........they genuinely are unsure as of yet. 

OR perhaps he just doesn't want to, or perhaps his partner doesn't want to, or City have decided they don't need him or... well there's a thousand reasons why, I wouldn't be jumping to the conclusion that FFA fucked them over.

OR perhaps he just doesn't want to, or perhaps his partner doesn't want to, or City have decided they don't need him or... well there's a thousand reasons why, I wouldn't be jumping to the conclusion that FFA fucked them over.

Hmmm fair call, i just made the point because for weeks and weeks all media outlets were sounding like a sure thing the only hindrance I could see was objections from the FFA over what title/ position he would within our squad, it wasn't until last night that a representative from Melbourne City flat out rejected the claims (there are no current plans in place to bring Frank here) up until then they said they wouldn't comment on speculation, therefor it seemed they were holding out on a decision being made as I said before in the title/ position he would play and I have no doubt in my mind he was first approached for the marquee spot and believe the main reason behind him rejecting that would be his fiance' not wanting to live in Melbourne/ Australia.

That being said, as you have pointed out there could be a thousand reasons but in this time of disappointment I like to place blame and anger towards and FFA seems to be a good starting point :)

He only said no plans. As opposed to not coming to melb. Read from that what you will I guess.

I think it's fair to say from that that it's extremely unlikely to happen. Scott Munn was asked about the Lampard rumours weeks ago and just deflected the question. There was no reason to make a 'no plans' statement on the record at this stage, unless it's not happening, as far as I'm concerned.

If there's money left, we should definitely use that last visa spot though. Still a couple of spots in the first XI that could be significantly strengthened with a quality international signing.

I don't think we should be too disappointed. FFA had already indicated that it is going to firm up the rules governing loan players, so it was always going to be difficult to accommodate a highly-paid player on a loan basis; one or other of Villa and Lampard had to be on loan so trying to do that and also have a full-season marquee was going to be virtually impossible.

Lampard's fiancee has also made enough noise that she's not keen on moving from the UK, and there's also the issue of his access to his two daughters, and Melbourne doesn't easily accommodate either of those problems. In the end those might prove distractions to Lampard's on-field performance.

IMO we're probably better off getting a guy such as Koren as our visa marquee, plus another overseas player inside the cap.

• Like 1

He only said no plans. As opposed to not coming to melb. Read from that what you will I guess.

I think it's fair to say from that that it's extremely unlikely to happen. Scott Munn was asked about the Lampard rumours weeks ago and just deflected the question. There was no reason to make a 'no plans' statement on the record at this stage, unless it's not happening, as far as I'm concerned.

If there's money left, we should definitely use that last visa spot though. Still a couple of spots in the first XI that could be significantly strengthened with a quality international signing.

Including and most importantly and striker once Villa is gone we have next to nothing, I still think williams could have a stellar of a year.

Including and most importantly and striker once Villa is gone we have next to nothing, I still think williams could have a stellar of a year.

I'd still include a left-back and a decent goalkeeper on my shopping list.

Even though its dissapointing if he doesn't come from a PR viewpoint, from a consistency perspective on the park, its likely a good move that we dont have him on loan for 10 matches.

Having 2 players of Villa's and Lampard's quality in key positions leaving mid season would be hard to cover, and may well be quite disruptive for us.

Three positions with last visa spot. Now is the time that we need our scouting network to find someone who can play GK LB and FWD. Not impossible.

My shopping list was not restricted to that final visa place. Mind you, I went from a forward to a goalkeeper, although that's probably an indictment of my overall playing ability...