Melbourne Football

FFA Cup Draw - Melbourne City vs Sydney FC

Dearg is bán

Some positives though, mooy looks good, the forgotten kalmar looked alright Hoff did good apart from his red which I didn't see because the stream cut out! And GARRUCIO also has impressed in the little time he played!! Also apart from the penalty he have away!! There goes our cup chances!!! Bring on the season!!!!

I take it you haven't been supporting this club since 2010 Pretty sure I have supported them since 2010.....

Not sure what you're saying mate.

I just assumed from your positive vibes that you hadn't dealt with four years of "looking for the positives" only to be let down time and time again. I quite frankly am over looking for the positives. 

I actually hope Hoffman kills himself tonight deadset he is a fuckwit and how he stayed on after City took over is so far beyond me.

The worst "professional" footballer I've witnessed play in the A-league... and we re-signed the cunt. :droy:

I think this is the nicest thing you have ever said about Misfud. 

.... or Maycon

.... or Gray

You know what one of the most frustrating things is? 

Alistair Bray, a bloke with boundless potential apparently played an absolute blinder for Bentleigh Greens tonight yet we'll still persist with proven flogs Redmayne and Velaphi.

Our full-backs are a joke and our attack is a joke, still feels like Heart to me.

• Like 4

The positives: Garuccio, Mooy, Duff and Kisnorbo looked good.

Negatives: Ramsey can't play lb and for a winger was deplorable with balls in the box.

The Hoff is ok (stream cut out so I didn't see the penalty) and should be playing second fiddle for another fb, he offers nothing going forward unless he cuts in, which is very rare.

Kalmar and Murdocca are very average at everything they do.

We need a Gk.

Brown did little.

Weilaart is worn out, he needs to be second fiddle.

From what I saw tonight, the team needs a shake up, because the same players keep underperforming.

A new Gk

?? Chapman Kisnorbo ??

Mooy

Mauk. Korin

Duff. ?? Garuccio

Mooy has to concede he is good at dictating play and he can defend (call him our Pirlo).

We didn't see much of Williams as not much got to him unless he dropped deep, so I'm uncertain about him and he did well in the all stars.

I don't think it's our year lads, still carrying a lot of mediocre who seem to get picked fucking constantly and it's maddening!

• Like 1

On a phone, so can't write much.

Hopefully this match and this result give the club a good kick up the backside. I can imagine arguments that this match wasn't too bad, e.g. We were up against the best coach and maybe the most expensive and/or best squad in the A-League, we are still over 2 months out from the season, we took the match to extra time and we only lost due to a GK brainsnap and 2 uncertain pens. But no excuses are acceptable IMO. This club with its resources simply should have done much better in this match, and we shouldn't have been knocked out of the FFA Cup in the 1st round (for us) in a home match. These higher standards should be expected, and no excuses should be offered up for this match.

Redmayne should be singled out for blame. Pretty much the 1st thing demanded of keepers is no f**k ups, and his howler put us behind the 8ball and dramatically lowered our chances of winning. Very disappointing with him, and so far he's shown little growth as a keeper at a club, which is what the club was banking on when we signed him from the Roar NYL team.

We need strikers/goals scorers. Multiple of them. Williams was only ok (maybe flat from All Stars match). And when he went off and Brown played as our striker, he simply wasn't up to scratch, and it was like we went down to 10 players. The team desperately needs a lot more firepower, as all too many people have noticed for all too long.

Ramsay isn't a full back, and certainly shouldn't play in a competitive match as one. The striker situation is bad, but it's ridiculous that we have 0 real LBs. And Hoffman should also be under serious scrutiny.

The midfield should be quicker with the ball movement. Often the right passes were played, but they weren't passed quick enough and the passes themselves weren't fast enough. There is ample room for more efficiency in midfield.

And as I've said before, our defence is significantly unbalanced with 2 CBs in their mid30s and makeshift fullbacks. Hopefully Chapman or Archibald can step up soon, and balance our defence more. And this club should be above having makeshift players, esp not 1 but 2 fullbacks (and a makeshift striker for about 60 mins in Brown).

The heat should be on effectively everyone at the club. Serious questions should be asked now, and hopefully that heat will spur the club on to a successful A-League season. The 10 players who had contracts for the coming season as of last season should be under real pressure, and the 4 re-signs, Williams and Kisnorbo and especially Hoffman and Velaphi, need to show much more (Velaphi should get a go in goal now, and he should prove that he should be our default no 1). There were some positives from this match, esp Duff and his showing that he can reliably cross (easily our best crosser, and he'll be an asset when he's playing 90 mins), Mooy was tidy in midfield, and I believe he can get significantly better (and he can take good free kicks, his assist was quality), and Garuccio impressed during his short time on the pitch. But hopefully this match gives the club a much needed kick up the backside, and who knows maybe it'll spur the club on to make necessary signings and a successful season.

100% agreed.

So I'm finally home from that joke of a display. Fuck I forgot just how much this team shits me. Redmayne is just not good enough and tbh Velaphi isn't any better. Hoffman is not good enough. He constantly gives his man too much space and has nothing going forward. Weilaert and Kisnorbo let way too much through too easily. Ramsay is not a fucking left back. He's hardly a winger let alone a defender

He's fast but that's about it. Kalmar fiddles around with the ball too much and fucks it up, his goal was good though. Murdocca is too physically small to boss a central midfield, and his passing is poor. Dugandzic acts like he simply doesn't give a fuck and plays half-arsed whenever the ball is near him and decides to try and shoot the ball as far from the goal as possible. Williams hardly got a touch and when he did, refused to shoot. Even Duff was non-existant for most of his time on the pitch. Mooy was a total boss, made the rest of our starting 11 look like shit. Brown hardly touched the thing. Mauk seemed alright in his cameo but wasn't on for long enough. Garrucio was taking the piss when he was on and should be starting ahead of Dugandzic every single week no questions asked. We are simply the same shit as last year with a pretty new shirt. Also Ballarat was too fucking cold and android maps ended up sending me around every single street in Ballarat 5 times and making me end up about 2 kms from the ground meaning I missed out on a Melburnians scarf at the pub. Then on the way home I stopped at maccas which 4 Sydney FC fans decided to also stop at. WHAT A FUCKING SHIT NIGHT I AM SO OVER THIS CLUB!!!!

(On an unrelated note I finally bought my membership for this season at the tent before kickoff and am actually just glad to be back.)

Edited by GreenSeater
  • Like 1

Personally I don't think it's as doom and gloom as others have been posting

I thought we looked okay in most periods of the game after we conceded the goal. Our passing and ideas were there, we just lacked a bit more quality in the final third which we should get from Koren/Villa/Kennedy

We were a bit vulnerable defensively and conceded a silly goal which was redmaynes fault, but again this should be better once Germano comes back in and we sign the "defensively minded" last visa player.

People are obviously frustrated by the result, but that's cup football and in the end we didn't get played off the park by Sydney, we simply got knocked out by a couple of penalties in extra time. Two months to go until the season starts, not hitting panic stations just yet. I'm confident we'll be a strong team this season.

• Like 1

I thought we looked okay in most periods of the game after we conceded the goal. Our passing and ideas were there, we just lacked a bit more quality in the final third which we should get from Koren/Villa/Kennedy

We were a bit vulnerable defensively and conceded a silly goal which was redmaynes fault, but again this should be better once Germano comes back in and we sign the "defensively minded" last visa player.

People are obviously frustrated by the result, but that's cup football and in the end we didn't get played off the park by Sydney, we simply got knocked out by a couple of penalties in extra time. Two months to go until the season starts, not hitting panic stations just yet. I'm confident we'll be a strong team this season.

Our attacking was predictable. Murdocca refused to shoot so would pass out wide, mooy got closed down very quickly and our wingers were always getting boxed into corners leading to dreadful crosses or turnovers and fast breaks since our fullbacks played so high.

One think we did well was we were able to control the tempo of the game. I think this is a good spot to build and with important players to come in I would agree it's not all doom and gloom just yet, but its always frustrating to lose a game especially with our high expectations going in.

Edited by Tbitm

Our attacking was predictable. Murdocca refused to shoot so would pass out wide, mooy got closed down very quickly and our wingers were always getting boxed into corners leading to dreadful crosses or turnovers and fast breaks since our fullbacks played so high.

One think we did well was we were able to control the tempo of the game. I think this is a good spot to build and with important players to come in I would agree it's not all doom and gloom just yet, but its always frustrating to lose a game especially with our high expectations going in.

Yes, the one thing we did well was control the tempo.

ARNOLD DELIGHTED AFTER SYDNEY FC FFA CUP WIN

Quote:

Sydney FC has reached the last 16 of the Westfield FFA Cup after a 3-1 win over Melbourne City in their inaugural match in Australia’s newest sporting competition in Ballarat.

Corey Gameiro continued his fine run of form to open the scoring for the Sky Blues in the first half before City’s Nick Kalmar equalised to send the game into extra time.

Two penalties from Ali Abbas secured the win the in the second half of the extra 30 minutes, as Terry Antonis was twice brought down inside the box.

A crowd of 2800 watched at Morshead Park while almost 7,000 people around the world tuned in as the match created a first for a competitive game between two Hyundai A-League clubs, being streamed live on sydneyfc.com.

“I thought defensively we were outstanding and that’s what I want from the boys every week,” said Head Coach Graham Arnold.

“Melbourne City only had one chance in the entire 120 minutes. That’s what we need to build our fortress on,” he continued.

“I felt we were a two goal better team over the 90 minutes but it wasn’t to be, and the boys showed great character in extra time to get the job done.”

Arnold handed starts to youngster Hagi Gligor and Sasa Ognenovski while Ali Abbas and Bernie Ibini were added to the starting line-up following their Foxtel All Stars efforts against Juventus two days earlier.

The opening 20 minutes saw little in the way of chances for either side while former Sky Blue Iain Ramsay was booked for a foul on Sebastian Ryall.

The game burst into life on 23 minutes when Gameiro latched onto a long through ball out of the Sydney FC defence which City goalkeeper Andrew Redmayne mis-read and came charging out of his box to clear. However Gameiro reached the ball first and was able to calmly slot the ball past the stranded keeper and into the net to put the Sky Blues 1-0 up.

Gameiro’s strike made it seven goals in five games for the young striker and he almost made it eight in the 40th minute when he got free on the left hand side and flashed a shot across the face of goal.

One minute of injury time followed the half and the Sky Blues went in at the break with the lead.

Ibini made a good run early in the second half to find Abbas on the wing and his centre narrowly missed his fellow All Star who waited to pounce inside the six yard box.

It was a chance they Sky Blues would rue when Kalmar drew City level in the 65th minute. Mooy crossed the ball from the left hand side into the six yard box and the City midfielder was on hand to head past Janjetovic.

Sydney FC were back on the offensive five minutes later when a dangerous Petkovic free kick caused havoc in the Melbourne City defence, who eventually were able to clear with Gameiro lurking close by.

Kisborno almost put through his own net in the 75th minute but saw his scuff bounce back off the post and five minutes later another dangerous Sydney FC corner was cleared inside the six yard box.

Petkovic put a ball through for Gameiro on 82 minutes however Redmayne was quick to react and smothered at the striker's feet.

The tension began to rise as the 90 minutes drew closer and Naumoff had a chance to win it in the final minute but his shot deflected over the bar and sent the game into extra time.

Neither team made any headway in the first 15 minutes of the extra and the drama unfolded in the second period.

Antonis went clean through on goal inside the penalty box but was brought down by Hoffman who received a red card in the 108th minute. It gave the Sky Blues the chance to take the lead and after a number of minutes of dispute following the sending off, Iraqi International Ali Abbas stepped up to slot the ball home.

The Sky Blues sealed the win three minutes later when Antonis again broke into the box only for Wielaert to bring him down. Abbas again stepped up to convert from the spot and send Sydney FC into the last 16 of the competition.

Sydney FC 3 (Gameiro 23’, Abbas 111’ pen, 115’ pen) d. Melbourne City FC 1 (Kalmar 65’) AET

at Morshead Park, Ballarat

Attendance: 2800

Referee: Shaun Evans

SYDNEY FC: 20. Vedran JANJETOVIC, 2. Seb RYALL (4. Pedj BOJIC 95’), 3. Sasa OGNENOVSKI, 5. Matt JURMAN, 6. Nikola PETKOVIC, 7. Corey GAMEIRO, 11. Bernie IBINI (13. Alex GERSBACH 100’), 12. Hagi GLIGOR, 17. Terry ANTONIS, 19. Nick CARLE (16. Christopher NAUMOFF 77’), 22. Ali ABBAS.

Subs not used: 1. Ivan NECEVSKI, 18. Peter TRIANTIS.

Booked: GAMEIRO 72’

MELBOURNE CITY FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 3. Robbie WIELAERT ©, 6. Aaron MOOY, 7. Iain RAMSAY, 8. Massimo MURDOCCA, 11. Damien DUFF, 15. David WILLIAMS, 17. Jason HOFFMAN, 22. Nicholas KALMAR (21. Stefan MAUK 90’), 23. Mate DUGANDZIC, 24. Patrick KISNORBO.

Subs not used: 20. Tando VELAPHI (GK), 14. James BROWN, 19. Ben GARUCCIO, 26. Ross ARCHIBALD

Booked: RAMSAY 20’, MOOY 84’

Red Card: Hoffmam 108

Garuccio and Brown came on Muppets.

Edited by moops

Sky Blues relieved to progress: Ibini

Quote:

Bernie Ibini admitted Sydney FC were relieved just to progress to the round of 16 of the Westfield FFA Cup after a scrappy 3-1 extra time victory over Melbourne City in Ballarat on Tuesday night.

Ali Abbas scored twice from the penalty spot in the second half of extra time to give the Sky Blues victory on a chilly night in country Victoria.

It also gave Sydney early bragging rights heading into the Hyundai A-League season opener at Allianz Stadium against John van't Schip's men.

Earlier in the night, Corey Gameiro capitalised on a mistake by City keeper Andy Redmayne to give the visitors an early lead at Morshead Park.

Nick Kalmar equalised in the second half for City to take the game into extra time.

“It was a tough game, Melbourne City gave us a tough game and we’re just happy to get through to the next round,” Ibini, one of the Foxtel A-League All Stars against Juventus, said.

“It wasn’t the most convincing game but it’s very early in the pre-season so hopefully we can get better by the next round.”

An understrength Sydney outfit were missing a host of stars including marquee striker Marc Janko and Ibini admitted the Sky Blues still have plenty of improvement left to do.

“Yeah definitely, there was quite a few players out. I played on Sunday [for the Foxtel A-League All Stars]... I had to backup on Tuesday so it was very tough for me,” said Sydney's new striker.

“We’ve got a lot of players to come back so it will make it a lot tougher to fight for positions so we will be looking forward to that.”

This quote from Arnie pretty much summed up how SFC were setup for the night.

“I thought defensively we were outstanding and that’s what I want from the boys every week,” said Head Coach Graham Arnold.

“Melbourne City only had one chance in the entire 120 minutes. That’s what we need to build our fortress on,” he continued.

For Arnie it's all about being strong starting at the back and then making the most of you chances going forward. We may have controlled the tempo but that wouldn't have worried Arnie too much. What he wanted was to give us little or no opportunites for strikes on their goal - that's pretty much how it was and he was happy. In the end however we shot ourselves in the foot. We gave them the match with poor defensive play resulting from brainfades and just plain incompetance. Either JVS can work a miracle and create a whole bunch of silk purses from sows ears using some of our underperfroming cattle or he has seriously fcuked up the recruiting by not getting rid of more players. Our weaknesses now, and have been for some time, are clearly in goal and defensively across the back. None of us want to hear that it was just a pre-season game. All games count because you must build confidence and a winning mentality coming into the first HAL game. So much LOLs and it's only pre-season.

Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 2

New season, And some mistakes.
Redmayne one minute makes a simple howler a horrible mistake, next minute saves a ripper.
Duff looked good, So did Mooy.
I will put this down as a pre season game. I don't want to see this served up in the real deal season.
Will be good to see what Koren brings to the side.

That was a tough night. Cold as Fuck, wierd ticket system for food and drinks and it was muddy as Fuck.

Good fun at the pub and great to meet heaps of people.

Also there was a woman screaming at Janjetovic, calling him a faggot. Not happy with that display.

Ramsey was woeful. He was regularly caught out in defense and was glued to the sideline, making it tough for players to give good attavking balls to him on the flanks. When he did get the ball his crossing was poor, but what worried me more was that he rarely looked to cross. He tried to play the ball back behind him or was caught by defenders trying to beat them (which he can't do because of serious lack of skill)

Hoff wasn't too bad and regularly created space when going forward. Still can't defend and the red was a result of his slow movement and inability to track bavk.

Mooy looked Sharpe, but mass was useless.

Wielart looked tired after 30 mins in and that worries me. Paddy was the best in our defence but he also tired very quickly.

Williams seemed bored and rarely tried to make space for mooy to feed him the ball. He made life easy for Og at the back.

Kalmar was surprising good, but still not at top 4 Hal quality. But happy to see him play well and be used as an impact sub or maybe to replace mass.

So much work to do. I saw no real tactical change from last season, other than the long balls. We should be lucky to make finals this year.

I hope Garrucio starts in front of ramsey. And Mauk should also start instead of mass. Or maybe in the 10role playing just behind kennedy/villa. I'd also bench willo

I think we all knew that we would leak goals this season, what's concerning is how little penetration we had, not gelling can't be an excuse, the boys have basically been married to each other for the last month not to mention they've pretty much all played together last season