Melbourne Football

2014-15 MEMBERSHIPS

CaNNaVo93

5100. I think we'll see a few more before the weekend (last day for renewing the same seat as you had last season if you're A or B Reserve).

After that IMO it's going to depend on the signings to come.

Edited by jw1739

Only people scared of private numbers are numptys that don't pay their bills.

Lol, probably had 1 call from a 'bill collector' in my life via a private number (make it 2 if you consider the Melbourne city call a 'bill collector', I guess it is), while I've had about 1,000 from sales/survey people. Not to mention other calls i'd probably rather not take and let go through to voice mail.

Having said that, I do answer private calls (just happened to miss it on this occasion), but only for professional reasons, however, I can't say many (if any) calls i've received from a private number have actually been work related.

Edited by Tesla

Once the boys return back from Manchester and get interviewed on there experience, it will put us back in the spot light.. From what I've heard from people I associated with (western suburbs of Melbourne) may are taking a "Wait and See" approach so I think the FFA cup match against Sydney FC will be crucial to our membership drive...

the sport is there, but if we knock of Sydney FC with a good performance on the pitch there is no doubt people will jump on... 

The club needs to put wins on the board from the start of the season to get to that 10k mark.

True, but if we sign Lampard i wouldn't be surprised if we get up to that 8-9k mark before the season starts.

big call that Lampard would make up another 3K members I don't see that happening unless he was full time marquee

I met a older chap the other day who says he's not renewing his Victory m/ship and would like to switch his family over to City. However, a big factor for him is our home ground. He is concerned if Etihad becomes our home ground....I hadn't heard any club news and I certainly hope we do not play any home games there either! Any official news on this idea?

Edited by Pandev

I met a older chap the other day who says he's not renewing his Victory m/ship and would like to switch his family over to City. However, a big factor for him is our home ground. He is concerned if Etihad becomes our home ground....I hadn't heard any club news and I certainly hope we do not play any home games there either! Any official news on this idea?

Changing home grounds would require a myriad of factors and benefits to the home club. To think that a club will move homes just because their sponsor also happens to temporarily sponsor another ground (the stadiums had 3 different names in the past 20 years or whatever) as a sole reason over all the other influencing factors is a little stupid. 

• Like 1

Changing home grounds would require a myriad of factors and benefits to the home club. To think that a club will move homes just because their sponsor also happens to temporarily sponsor another ground (the stadiums had 3 different names in the past 20 years or whatever) as a sole reason over all the other influencing factors is a little stupid

I think that MAYBE if it were another Airline rival that had naming rights to AAMI Park, then they may have thought of a move down the road, but i dont really see any other reason as to why they would.

Changing home grounds would require a myriad of factors and benefits to the home club. To think that a club will move homes just because their sponsor also happens to temporarily sponsor another ground (the stadiums had 3 different names in the past 20 years or whatever) as a sole reason over all the other influencing factors is a little stupid

I think that MAYBE if it were another Airline rival that had naming rights to AAMI Park, then they may have thought of a move down the road, but i dont really see any other reason as to why they would.

The AFL is about to buy Etihad. If anything if I were Victory id be worried having etihad afl owned

The AFL is about to buy Etihad. If anything if I were Victory id be worried having etihad afl owned

Any change of ownership might change attitudes, but the AFL will still want Etihad to bring in money for them. They aren't going to let the ground sit idle for 5 months, they'll still hold concerts, rugby games etc. 

• Like 1

Docklands Stadium (also known by its former sponsored names of Colonial Stadium and Telstra Dome, and its current sponsorship name of Etihad Stadium) is a multi-purpose sports and entertainment stadiumin the Docklands precinct of MelbourneVictoriaAustralia. Construction started in October 1997 under the working name, "Victoria Stadium",[2] and was completed in 2000 at a cost of A$460 million.

Originally built as a replacement for Waverley Park, the stadium is primarily used for Australian rules football and is the headquarters of the Australian Football League (AFL) which, as part of the construction deal, assumes ownership of the ground in 2025.

Another article says that they want to get a figure to buy it outright NOW! but the figure can't be agreed upon yet. 

I dare say that since the completion of the stadium in 2000, they would have made the $460M back... and then some. 

Hypothetically speaking, lets say that Etihad wanted to buy out the stadium... Whatever is left of the encumbrance should be debited from the current (at the time of sale) value. The stadium up and running is turning a profit. if the cost of construction was about $460M, the value of the finished product should be at the absolute minimum (valued purely on potential - not valued at it's current running state) $650M 

Would it be viable??

Edited by Deviant

Any change of ownership might change attitudes, but the AFL will still want Etihad to bring in money for them. They aren't going to let the ground sit idle for 5 months, they'll still hold concerts, rugby games etc. 

Don't forget NYE white nite muzzza night.

Putting aside all the complicated factors mentioned with moving to etihad it wouldn't make sense unless we were packing aami each week. Our crowds might jump up a bit but I can't see us getting more than 15k+ regularly for a long while yet. It would look shit at etihad and I think management would prefer to play at a stadium that makes them look good rather than a stadium with one of their brand names and looking shit.
That said, my biggest concern would be moving a final or home derby. It would be a difficult situation. First instinct would be to boycott and go to the impy and watch, but at the same time, it's a final !!  :hmm: 

Like you said, I don't think they'd be moving us to Etihad Stadium any time soon for the reasons you mentioned.

Another reason would be, playing out of AAMI Park is like spreading the Etihad brand further. We'll have Etihad plastered on our kits (and probably some more around the ground) so this way Etihad gets exposure at AAMI Park during the A-League season and Etihad Stadium during the AFL season. It's a win-win for them!

• Like 1

Docklands Stadium (also known by its former sponsored names of Colonial Stadium and Telstra Dome, and its current sponsorship name of Etihad Stadium) is a multi-purpose sports and entertainment stadiumin the Docklands precinct of MelbourneVictoriaAustralia. Construction started in October 1997 under the working name, "Victoria Stadium",[2] and was completed in 2000 at a cost of A$460 million.

Originally built as a replacement for Waverley Park, the stadium is primarily used for Australian rules football and is the headquarters of the Australian Football League (AFL) which, as part of the construction deal, assumes ownership of the ground in 2025.

Another article says that they want to get a figure to buy it outright NOW! but the figure can't be agreed upon yet. 

I dare say that since the completion of the stadium in 2000, they would have made the $460M back... and then some. 

Hypothetically speaking, lets say that Etihad wanted to buy out the stadium... Whatever is left of the encumbrance should be debited from the current (at the time of sale) value. The stadium up and running is turning a profit. if the cost of construction was about $460M, the value of the finished product should be at the absolute minimum (valued purely on potential - not valued at it's current running state) $650M 

Would it be viable??

This article says that AFL can buy Docklands in 2025 for a $1. If they want to buy earlier then it'll cost them a mint

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-a-long-way-from-buying-etihad-stadium-andrew-demetriou-20140302-33u2c.html

From a football viewing perspective Docklands is shite. I wouldn't want us playing there. AAMI is excellent for viewing and, apart from derbies, will comfortably accomodate crowds to our games.

Aami is such an amazing stadium to watch sport, I don't care how far eithiad bring in their seats, aami is just so much better. The only thing eithiad has on aami is ease of access

LOL - You do realise that Essendon fans voted on mass to have Etihad over the MCG as their Home Ground?

Aami is such an amazing stadium to watch sport, I don't care how far eithiad bring in their seats, aami is just so much better. The only thing eithiad has on aami is ease of access

LOL - You do realise that Essendon fans voted on mass to have Etihad over the MCG as their Home Ground?

Eithiad is good for footy, shit for soccer :up:

Unpopular opinion but I don't mind Essendon playing @ Etihad, 5 train stops from my usual pre drinking spot, 1/4 of the time spent walking compared to the G, heaps more convenient for a majority of Essendon supporters.

Id rather the dees play at etihad. vline just across the bridge, and i enjoy watching footy there

LOL - You do realise that Essendon fans voted on mass to have Etihad over the MCG as their Home Ground? I don't get how anyone can enjoy any sport at that sad and gloomy place called shittyhad

I get depressed when I go there to the derbies.

LOL - You do realise that Essendon fans voted on mass to have Etihad over the MCG as their Home Ground?I don't get how anyone can enjoy any sport at that sad and gloomy place called shittyhad

It does have the most hollow feeling annnnnnnnnnnndd the cold gets trapped inside there

LOL - You do realise that Essendon fans voted on mass to have Etihad over the MCG as their Home Ground? I don't get how anyone can enjoy any sport at that sad and gloomy place called shittyhad

It does have the most hollow feeling annnnnnnnnnnndd the cold gets trapped inside there

wear a jumper?