Melbourne Football

***Help Keep the Red & White***

FB.

Not really answering the question tho.

i've heard a lot of vitriol around work and stuff about changing the colours, but yet I've not yet heard a peep from the owners

it makes no sense to me, to brand a Victorian team with NSW colours

Edited by Listerfiend

I'm a Man City fan, now living in Australia and will be following the fortunes of Melbourne Heart with interest from now on, which i guess is kind of the point, at least in part.

I think a name change is probably inevitable, based on the fact an application was already lodged, but I think it would be better to keep the red and white stripes. I am fully aware that pale blue is NSW in whatever sport you care to mention and it should remain thus.

I do wonder though, and i would be interested to hear what Heart fans think; if the CFG insist on sky blue colours, what would the feeling be to leaving the shirt as they are and having blue shorts a la Atletico Madrid?

I think they look pretty good, and it might be a solution that everyone can live with?

To summarise: some aren't fussed, many aren't happy but accept it, many actively dislike light blue that is the colour of New south wales, Victoria's traditional rivals, some will disengage from the franchise. Light blue pants would be a better alternative to a light blue jersey. If you look at the poll on this site only a tiny minority want to change our home colours. 

Almost all are perplexed that CFG have tried so hard to engage the potential NYCFC fans over colours and logos but have virtually ignored us.

Surely by now all evidence points to a scenario of a big announcement of high calibre players to mitigate the disappointment of a sky blue home kit,

That's probably true and a large part of the upside 

And changing of the colours being a large part of the downside. FWIW I think the biggest upside of all of this is how the spotlight, resources and the effective increase in competitiveness of this new team affect the league as a whole. It's just a shame that Heart had to be the team that was sacrificed for it all.

Has anyone from the club actually come out and said that the colours are going to change or is it just a fishing expedition that's gained momentum?

Man City's colours were already sky blue, NYCFC being a new club it's natural they will pick sky blue for them; but why does everyone assume that the Heart colours will change?

I haven't heard anyone saying that the YF Marinos of Japan are going to get new colours, even thought we just bought a chunk of them.

Different kettle of fish to be fair, City only bought a minority share in Yokohama F Marinos whereas they own 80% of us.

I'd be surprised if we retained the red and white, as our home kit anyway.

Dont the Japanese side already play in some variation of blue?  

You're right  blue will be the colour.  From CFGs point of view its no brainer. Just think of the global sponsorship deals CFG can sign with clubs under the same brand playing on all continents. All clubs under CFG will powerhouses in their leagues

• Like 1

i've heard a lot of vitriol around work and stuff about changing the colours, but yet I've not yet heard a peep from the owners

that's what most fans here are saying

I'm a Man City fan, now living in Australia and will be following the fortunes of Melbourne Heart with interest from now on, which i guess is kind of the point, at least in part.

I think a name change is probably inevitable, based on the fact an application was already lodged, but I think it would be better to keep the red and white stripes. I am fully aware that pale blue is NSW in whatever sport you care to mention and it should remain thus.

I do wonder though, and i would be interested to hear what Heart fans think; if the CFG insist on sky blue colours, what would the feeling be to leaving the shirt as they are and having blue shorts a la Atletico Madrid?

I think they look pretty good, and it might be a solution that everyone can live with?

To summarise: some aren't fussed, many aren't happy but accept it, many actively dislike light blue that is the colour of New south wales, Victoria's traditional rivals, some will disengage from the franchise. Light blue pants would be a better alternative to a light blue jersey. If you look at the poll on this site only a tiny minority want to change our home colours. 

Almost all are perplexed that CFG have tried so hard to engage the potential NYCFC fans over colours and logos but have virtually ignored us.

Surely by now all evidence points to a scenario of a big announcement of high calibre players to mitigate the disappointment of a sky blue home kit,

And changing of the colours being a large part of the downside. FWIW I think the biggest upside of all of this is how the spotlight, resources and the effective increase in competitiveness of this new team affect the league as a whole. It's just a shame that Heart had to be the team that was sacrificed for it all.

Has anyone from the club actually come out and said that the colours are going to change or is it just a fishing expedition that's gained momentum?

Man City's colours were already sky blue, NYCFC being a new club it's natural they will pick sky blue for them; but why does everyone assume that the Heart colours will change?

I haven't heard anyone saying that the YF Marinos of Japan are going to get new colours, even thought we just bought a chunk of them.

Different kettle of fish to be fair, City only bought a minority share in Yokohama F Marinos whereas they own 80% of us.

You're right  blue will be the colour.  From CFGs point of view its no brainer. Just think of the global sponsorship deals CFG can sign with clubs under the same brand playing on all continents. All clubs under CFG will powerhouses in their leagues

their home kit this year was blue, with red and white trim............. fancy that!

One thing's for sure, it's going to be an interesting ride

I can't imagine any major sponsorship would be based on what colour a teams kit is. Especially for what we would bring to the table compared to Man City

A shame? Fuck that, I love that we're the centre of it.

Naturally people will draw their own conclusions from what has been hinted at so far in this whole buy-out thing. I'm in the "different name, different colours, different team" crowd. I feel it's a shame because Heart was bit of a flog, but they were a flog we all loved, we stuck through all those bad times because we believed in it. It seems the Heart chapter of Australian football is coming to a close, and while there was a bit of heroism at the end, I feel Heart was done a disservice by not being afforded the chance to redeem themselves. Of course I'm basing all this on pure speculation, but the silence is deafening.

Now I'm still going to follow the new chapter of this Mini-Man City, I'm thrilled about the potential, and I like brand of football they are promising. Victory can fuck off. But like it's been said before here, my relationship with this franchise has been reset to 0.

Edit: Sorry I realise I didn't actually respond to what you said. I am loving that the spotlight is on us for a change and we're not making huge announcements about players of the Mifsud calibre.

Edited by Jun

You dont think it make no sense?  theres 3 distinctive parts that make up the CFG  brand.  1. city name (located in iconic cities) 2 the colour 3, the specific way of playing football.  the purpose of the brand is to be the leading sportsbrand on earth.   just think what kind of sponsorship deals, infrastructure that can come with it, We will not compete with other clubs but with entire leagues and competetions for sponsorships   This will make sure all clubs under CFG will be the strongest and most competitive in their leagues.  

I can't imagine any major sponsorship would be based on what colour a teams kit is. Especially for what we would bring to the table compared to Man City

You cant?  why would a sponsor, sponsor anything?   the color is a huge part of brand recognition. if theres no brand recognition there will be no large sponsorships.  ppl around the world must assosiate skyblue with CFG.  If Melbourne dont play in skyblue, ppl may not see the connection which for a sponsor is never a good thing. 

You dont think it make no sense?  theres 3 distinctive parts that make up the CFG  brand.  1. city name (located in iconic cities) 2 the colour 3, the specific way of playing football.  the purpose of the brand is to be the leading sportsbrand on earth.   just think what kind of sponsorship deals, infrastructure that can come with it, We will not compete with other clubs but with entire leagues and competetions for sponsorships   This will make sure all clubs under CFG will be the strongest and most competitive in their leagues.  

No it doesn't make any sense to me. I'd have been pissed beyond belief if they had changed City's colours to some shade of red, or any other colour come to that. The fans just would not have accepted it, not a chance in hell. So why should they do it here?

i understand all clubs being called' City' since that's the name of the group, but i'd be amazed tbh if the Heart, and NYCFC play the same specific way as Man City... totally different leagues and situations.Sure they will expect to play an attacking, expansive brand, but that's hardly specific.

No it doesn't make any sense to me. I'd have been pissed beyond belief if they had changed City's colours to some shade of red, or any other colour come to that. The fans just would not have accepted it, not a chance in hell. So why should they do it here?

i understand all clubs being called' City' since that's the name of the group, but i'd be amazed tbh if the Heart, and NYCFC play the same specific way as Man City... totally different leagues and situations.Sure they will expect to play an attacking, expansive brand, but that's hardly specific.

Because of different leagues  teams cannot play a certian way? appearently everyone connected to CFG disagree with you and so do i. 

I do understand the emotional point of keeping the colors, but im just talking from a business point of view,  And there can be no dening that melbourne will be better off in the future under the brand of CFG thana under  heart/red&white.   The important thing is to seperate Emotion and logic  not to say one is more valid than the other.  I just give my two cents how i believe CFGs strategy looks like. 

I think the best thing about reading through this forum and participating on this thread tonight is the obvious level of passion that you guys have in this club.

I hope you all realise that, irrespective of who the owners are, or what the colours are or what the badge says or who the players are or whatever that it's you guys that are the club.

everything else is just temporary, but if you can support them with the level of passion i have seen tonight on my brief visit, the future ( be it a blue one or a red one) will be very bright indeed.

thanks and good night

I think the best thing about reading through this forum and participating on this thread tonight is the obvious level of passion that you guys have in this club.

I hope you all realise that, irrespective of who the owners are, or what the colours are or what the badge says or who the players are or whatever that it's you guys that are the club.

everything else is just temporary, but if you can support them with the level of passion i have seen tonight on my brief visit, the future ( be it a blue one or a red one) will be very bright indeed.

thanks and good night

Well said. Its not that i advocate a color change. just that i can understand why it has to be done.  

Erm, the history is surely retained.. It follows the licence I guess?

That´s how it works in Europe anyway, the specific licence is what keeps the old titles and all the clubs history regardless of name, colours etc.

Spot on. Agree wholeheartedly ;)

I suppose it's just about where each individual draws the line, isn't it.

That´s how it works in Europe anyway, the specific licence is what keeps the old titles and all the clubs history regardless of name, colours etc.

I never thought of it like that, not that we have any titles, but maybe that is the one link to the old club

That is strictly correct, I think though that the difference here comes from the fact that we don't have clubs we have franchises so we don't have a true membership connection to the franchise, we aren't even stakeholders, we are customers. That makes us more sensitive to those changes as it's only the emotional connection that defines the nature of the ongoing relationship.

In Europe it´s not that uncommon for clubs to hit bankruptcy and go out of business so to say.. In general they tend to restart at some lower level like say Glasgow Rangers or Fiorentina did.
But as long as they are allowed to retain their specific license instead of having to apply for a new one history is not wiped out.

Even if Fiorentina had to restart as "Viola" until they managed to buy back their old name from the administrators

Looking at Heart it´s perhaps a bit funny that issues that really tend to upset people in Europe.. Like the badge, seems less important. I can assure you that on Bluemoon alone there´s not a year without a score of threads lamenting the loss of our old badge that was changed in the mid 90´s.
Club names are really not allowed to change in Europe nowadays it seems and it´s a very inflamed issue so just the foolhardy would even try.
Colours.. Of course colours are significant and in general changes are disapproved by fans but it happens now and then and fans just tend to buy fewer shirts if the design/colours are unpopular meaning that in due time someone will change it again to make a profit  B)

The FRG meeting with Simon Pearce did indicate that they are very aware of the issues.. The rumours on this forum points towards trying to gel the cultures as well.
As for what would be a compromise everyone could live with it´s anyones guess.

The fact is, whatever changes CFG make to our club, when someone in the future Googles Images of Melbourne Heart it will give them results of our red & white or when someone Wikipedias Melbourne City FC, it will show those red & white striped tops in either the 'history' section and/or the Name, Colours and Badge section.

No one can wipe out the fact or history that we've played in Red & White stripes for four years or that they were our inaugural colours! And no matter what happens we will always be 'The Heart of Melbourne'.

• Like 1

The fact is, whatever changes CFG make to our club, when someone in the future Googles Images of Melbourne Heart it will give them results of our red & white or when someone Wikipedias Melbourne City FC, it will show those red & white striped tops in either the 'history' section and/or the Name, Colours and Badge section.

No one can wipe out the fact or history that we've played in Red & White stripes for four years or that they were our inaugural colours! And no matter what happens we will always be 'The Heart of Melbourne'.

Except anyone can go to Wikipedia and erase whatever they like!

No, they can't. The revisions will be cancelled not long later.

• Like 1

Erase whatever they like!

• Like 3

No, they can't. The revisions will be cancelled not long later.

Thank you. Tired of 'anyone can edit Wikipedia' BS, yes technically they can, but in practice that won't last for long at all.

• Like 1

No, they can't. The revisions will be cancelled not long later.Thank you. Tired of 'anyone can edit Wikipedia' BS, yes technically they can, but in practice that won't last for long at all. Yeah I've changed victory's to visitors a few times and it never lasts ahah

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

I've put stupid shit on Wikipedia plenty of times,

Why does this not surprise me?

I'm still waiting for that 10am conference on Thursday It's definitely happening

We just don't know which Thursday.

However, while it is still expected the club's name will change from Melbourne Heart to Melbourne City in time for next season, they will – for the moment, at least – continue playing their home matches in red and white stripes.

YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 6