Melbourne Football

Newcastle Jets vs Melbourne heart 5:30pm Saturday 8th March

kingofhearts

Come one everyone it's one game. Are you really going to let a very poor game today take away from how well we have done the last 6 weeks. Just need to pick up next week and do better. We win everyone says we're amazing and we'll make finals, we lose and now we can't make finals. Bunch of yoyos on here.

More to do with the numbers, this was a must win game for us to keep momentum going, and pressure on those teams around us. At the end of this round we will be either 5-6 points off 6th place, and that'll just keep increasing the pressure on the boys to perform, something they don't do well under.

im slightly content with not making finals, lets be honest we wouldnt win the premiership, we'd give it a slight shake up, but wouldnt win it. it's almost out of reach. next season will be something however, especially if rumours are true and we sign either XAVI or joe hart

Come one everyone it's one game. Are you really going to let a very poor game today take away from how well we have done the last 6 weeks. Just need to pick up next week and do better. We win everyone says we're amazing and we'll make finals, we lose and now we can't make finals. Bunch of yoyos on here.

More to do with the numbers, this was a must win game for us to keep momentum going, and pressure on those teams around us. At the end of this round we will be either 5-6 points off 6th place, and that'll just keep increasing the pressure on the boys to perform, something they don't do well under.

I know the numbers. If you want to look at our situation realistically, you have to detach the emotion from it. A difficult task after that performance I understand. But our season is not over, and finals is not over. It's great that we have the chance to strive for the finals, which is still within reach, however difficult it is.

Newcastle made the match a dogfight, with frequent fouling, but Heart did itself no favours.

Zadkovich unfortunately marked Engelaar out of the game, and Heart didn't do well enough without his influence.

Heart were too direct for much of the game, and didn't play the ball on the ground much until Germano went to RB and Kalmar came on.

Also, too many players picked today to put in a bad performance. Hoffman was shocking, Behich was poor, and all of the front 3 were poor with finishing (but especially Williams and Ramsay were profligate in front of goal).

In the A-League it's rare to see such strong streaks like Heart's, and unfortunately it came to an end today. We were maybe even unlucky not to get something out of the game, despite how ordinary Heart were, as Heart had a decent penalty shout waved away.

Courtesy of not winning for the first 14 matches, Heart always had their backs against the wall with regards to finals. You can only expect so much from JVS, given that we only got 4 points out of the first 12 games under JA. 

But fortunately we have 2 home games over the next 2 rounds, against 2 teams we can beat, and under JVS we have a 100% winning record at AAMI. I reckon Heart have the perfect next 2 home games to bounce back after this match.

• Like 2

I know the numbers. If you want to look at our situation realistically, you have to detach the emotion from it. A difficult task after that performance I understand. But our season is not over, and finals is not over. It's great that we have the chance to strive for the finals, which is still within reach, however difficult it is.

It is still within our reach, but we really need to win every game in order to achieve that. This was always going to be difficult, I think this was the week when a lot of fans (and maybe even the players) really started to believe we would make finals, so that makes the loss a bit harder.

How about the "lucky charm" talk during commentary? "Is it Engelaar? Garrucio? Germano?" I wanted to scream at the TV "how about JVS you cock suckers!".

Ex "professionals" talking about luck like as if it's actually real. Beyond a disgrace, that that is the extent of their analysis. Fucking clowns.

Edited by n i k o

How about the "lucky charm" talk during commentary? "Is it Engelaar? Garrucio? Germano?"  I wanted to scream at the TV "how about JVS you cock suckers!".

'or the man city takeover' haha flogs.

There must be a ban at Fox Sports and TWG on mentioning how shit heart was under JA, and how our turn-a-round has really only been achieved because of JVS.

It is still within our reach, but we really need to win every game in order to achieve that. This was always going to be difficult, I think this was the week when a lot of fans (and maybe even the players) really started to believe we would make finals, so that makes the loss a bit harder.

Not doubting that at all. It's the pessimistic attitude that people have the moment we lose that gets to me, as explained in my first post.

Lets put this loss into perspective, it was always going to be difficult to win today, when you up against an exceptional team like Newcastle Jets it was going to be hard. We beat Brisbane, Melbourne Victory, Wellington, Perth because they aren't up to high standard that the Jets set

Up until the penalty decision which didn't go our way, I thought we were by far the better team. If Williams and Ramsey had been clinical finishers the result would have been in the bag.

Unfortunately Taggart scored and then if it wasn't for Redmayne keeping us in the game, we would have been flogged.

A disappointing result but credit to Newcastle for their defence.

Let's see how the boys bounce back.

Not doubting that at all. It's the pessimistic attitude that people have the moment we lose that gets to me, as explained in my first post.

Well after 4 and a half years of supporting the heart, you'll have to forgive me if i've become a little pessimistic. 

• Like 1

Well after 4 and a half years of supporting the heart, you'll have to forgive me if i've become a little pessimistic.

Well you should have started supporting the red and white earlier then. Shouldn't you?

That's fair enough but coming from a very heavy sporting background both playing and coaching I'm not in the habit of accepting mediocre performances in anything I do or being pessimistic. Our past doesn't govern how we perform from here on in.

Great post. It's a step back, for sure, but it's all about how the team responds now and for the rest of the season, really (finals or not). Whether we complete a Cinderella run to the finals or not, getting our fair share of points over the remaining five games will probably see me happy at the end of the season. Which was pretty much unthinkable two months ago.

• Like 2

I did like the change in tactics to put Kisnorbo upfront. Set up. Ramsey for his best effort, yet most difficult to pull off. That bloke if he wasnt so limited and quiet frankly piss poor, couldve had a hat trick.

Just on Ramsay, is it normal for A-League players to be so hopelessly one-sided? If I know he's not going to take a shot on his right, even if his life depended on it, presumably the opposition does too.

How is the pitch at Hunter Stadium acceptable to play on?! Shouldn't be an excuse but it really affected the passing and control.

Was fucking shocking. Half the time someone just putting a foot down would send up a spray of dirt. Could easily explain the reason behind trying the long balls, every short ball looked flat. We had to adjust our game plan to suit the pitch, and it failed, dismally.

Garuccio needs to start, IMO. Kid ran non-stop from the moment he was on. Showed a hell of a lot of spirit.

Despite all my rage and frustration earlier, we can still make finals. 4 wins will hopefully be enough. We have 3 home games against Mariners (been very poor and have ACL), Wellington (aren't great and we smashed them), and wanderers who haven't been that impressive recently and have ACL to contend with. Have to win all 3 of those.

Then we have away games against Brisbane, who we beat and normally do alright against and Adelaide, who we should've beaten over there when we played them.

Obviously, it's very unlikely and it will also depend on other's results but it's not completely over yet.

Despite all my rage and frustration earlier, we can still make finals. 4 wins will hopefully be enough. We have 3 home games against Mariners (been very poor and have ACL), Wellington (aren't great and we smashed them), and wanderers who haven't been that impressive recently and have ACL to contend with. Have to win all 3 of those.

Then we have away games against Brisbane, who we beat and normally do alright against and Adelaide, who we should've beaten over there when we played them.

Obviously, it's very unlikely and it will also depend on other's results but it's not completely over yet.

All true, but for me at least, we've taken a step back and we should probably just revisit it again if we can take two steps forward with two wins over the next fortnight. It's gone from having an active interest in the other results from the weekend, to being desperate for this result or that result to occur. Until we're somewhat in control of our own destiny again (if that happens), I'll be giving it the old 'one week at a time'.

FWIW, I don't remember the last time I saw the boys look that disappointed and sorry after a game. We'll be on fire next week.

That's the absolutely crucial thing. They can't afford to drop into one of these ruts again, like the second half of last season, or the first half of this season. 10 points from the last five games should be a realistic 'par' score from here. If that's not good enough for finals, so be it...it would have been a heckuva run.

Edited by SF33

How about the "lucky charm" talk during commentary? "Is it Engelaar? Garrucio? Germano?"  I wanted to scream at the TV "how about JVS you cock suckers!".

'or the man city takeover' haha flogs.

I know! Its almost as if they think that faith in leadership actually increases motivation and performance! I mean its not as if JVS has said he found this to be a motivating factor himself or anything! What would basic psychology know eh?! Bunch of flogs!

Anyway. Disappointing result but we have always struggled against Newcastle. All is not lost. 3 points against the Nux next week.

Disappointed as hell, but not going to rule us out. We may need Brisbane and west Sydney to start winning again (except against us) and hope mariners and the scum slip up. They were flat and they looked angry as hell about it, I reckon next week will be pretty big for us. Everyone get round the boys and support them, they've worked their guts out with a decent coach and anything can happen

Just a tripe performance and too many average players playing poorly.

Ref shocking all game. Pitch a disgrace. Move on. As I have said. One week at a time. Finals talk was laughable so soon. One week at a time.

Absolutely right. People both on here and in the media jumped to conclusions far too soon. The time to judge how well we've done will be at the end of the season. People wanting to re-sign this player and that player (and appoint JvS as Head Coach) need to settle down.

Jets did a good job of unsettling us from the opening minute. They were hard at the ball and turned the game into a physical contest, especially that karnt Zadko who I detest but basically made sure Engelaar had little influence on the game. That was their tactic and it worked. And when you have Taggart up front who is a handful and did what he had to do - like win the game for then.

Our spud players Willo and Ramsay showed their typical inconsistencies - how they hell they didn't score is friggin inbelievable.

Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 2

What a shit game from our boys.. As everyone on here is blaming players for this performance, I take a different view.. Whilst JVS has changed many things since his come back, I have always had the view of his ability to coach under pressure and expectations.. The tactic by the Jets ( who are the shit team of the comp) was to man mark Engalar. Now i think we all new that this would happen eventually given Engelar's influence.. So what did JVS do?? Answer nothing... He didn't no what to do nor did he back himself to make a big decision.

Well JVS in the 30th min... you take off a shit Behich who was not performing and you inject H. Kewell and revert to a back 3.. What would Zatkovic do in the situation... What can he do but continue to mark Engelar which then leaves Kewell completely unmarked...

The Jets were only attacking with Tagget so a back 3 would be enough..

JVS has the ability to make us a good team but does not have the ability to give us the polish we need to be a championship winning club..

• Like 2

Jets did a good job of unsettling us from the opening minute. They were hard at the ball and turned the game into a physical contest, especially that karnt Zadko who I detest but basically made sure Engelaar had little influence on the game. That was their tactic and it worked. And when you have Taggart up front who is a handful and did what he had to do - like win the game for then.

As much as I love what Engelaar has provided us, he's got to be better than that. I'm not talking about being the best player on the park every week; I'm talking about not stopping to bitch to the refs while the game's still going and his man is strolling away with the ball. As soon as he started doing that, Zadkovich would have known that he was completely in Engelaar's head. And you can bet Ernie Merrick would have been taking notes.

Edited by SF33
  • Like 1

What I got from the game was that the Heart players cannot cope with physical treatment. Basically rough the boys up and then watch them crumble. The team should be aware that no ref is going to come to their assistance by applying the rules - that was made specially clear when Dugandzic was fouled in the box. The second thing was that last week MV tried to mark OE but failed however Zadcovic succeeded - this need not be the end of a game after all when Heart last played the Jets OE did not come on until the 60 min mark.

Up forward we had many opportunities but could not put them away. Hopefully this will not occur again this season.

The worst for me was the hoofball which I thought that the team had left behind. It did not work for the first 12 weeks, it did not work again.

• Like 3

If anything was achieved today, at least we won't have to listen to people on here talking about how we're 'going to make a lot of noise in the finals!'

As well as we have played, we are still second last and have a mountain of improvement to do.

But fuck me, if ramsey and Williams aren't dropped next week, JVS should be sacked on the spot. Kewell is too good of a weapon to have sitting on the bench for 3 quarters of the game and garrucio deserves another start.

Orlando also has to HTFU, he should be fucking embarrassed that he was beaten by ruben zadkovic today, the biggest spud in the league whose only skill is getting under people's skins. Orlando's head just wasn't in the game today.

There should be no talk about finals on here until we are actually in the 6 (which FWIW, i don't think we'll make anyway) One game at a time people.

• Like 3

I believe I heard something about Orlando arriving late in Newcastle due to personal reasons. Perhaps we could cut him some slack as his performances have been good. Today he wasn't in the game, but one game doesn't define a player. Hopefully he is up for the Wellington match.

• Like 1

What I got from the game was that the Heart players cannot cope with physical treatment. Basically rough the boys up and then watch them crumble. The team should be aware that no ref is going to come to their assistance by applying the rules - that was made specially clear when Dugandzic was fouled in the box. The second thing was that last week MV tried to mark OE but failed however Zadcovic succeeded - this need not be the end of a game after all when Heart last played the Jets OE did not come on until the 60 min mark.

Up forward we had many opportunities but could not put them away. Hopefully this will not occur again this season.

The worst for me was the hoofball which I thought that the team had left behind. It did not work for the first 12 weeks, it did not work again.

Duga, Murdocca, Ramsay, Hoffman, Behich DO NOT WIN 50-50 challenges.  They lack the lower body strength to hold their ground in 50-50 ball challenge.  It happened against Brisbane, its happened since forever against Perf, and it happened against the Jest today.  THe conditioning department need to look at this because make no mistake this is a physical league.