Melbourne Football

Matchday 18: vs Perth Glory @ Lavington Sports Oval - Sunday 9th February - 3pm EDT

Nate

Given how much they seemed to enjoy it, perhaps we should play Perth in Albury every year?

Kenny Lowe: 

"Whinge whinge whinge"

Tony Sage:

"Whinge whinge whinge"

I can't stand Perth, probably my most hated team after Victory so it doesn't get much better than beating those bastards.

• Like 3

only just started watching. How we looking?

Turn your TV back off please Now in hindsight do you see how silly this sounds? Every time we go down we hear these same comments ffs  Think you missed the joke brah

I must have then

He turned the TV on the same time Glory scored their goal. I was blaming him for causing the goal and to turn the TV back off.

Well a win is a win is a win. It wasn't pretty but I think we deserved the points. Twice as many total shots and shots on target and I think in deplorable conditions we were the only team who took the game on. Perth were deplorable in the first half with only one late attempt - they didn't show up. I suspect with a coach bleating all week how pissed off they were to be playing in Albury, this must rub off on the squad and it certainly looked like it. Cudos again to JVS for being measured and positive all week.

Loved Special K's header for the first goal - showed great intent. Redders poor for their goal - he really seems out of form and his distribution again down today. I suppose with young players they can be up and down. Loved the ball from the Gooch to set up Willo and a persistent finish giving us a deserved win.

Special mention to Mauk who showed a touch of class around the park and for a young player I can only remember one errant pass - certainly showing promising signs. I know Bella will kill me, but for the first time I thought the Hoff was ok. His decision making is improving and maturing and, along with Mass, has to be one of the fittest in the squad - he kept pushing all day.

And finally well done to the travelling fans. I hope the Hume is open, the trains running and you get home safely. With all the indecision on start time, weather and conditions, I doff my cap to you for getting there and cheering the lads on.

Finals are only a pipe dream, but compared to where we were six weeks ago, to dare to dream is certainly better than abject despair. COYBIR!!

• Like 1

Given that I´m not familiar with the concept, how do these regional games come about?..Every team have them?

As for the results lately I wonder if Heart was simply underperforming mostly earlier (JA?), obviously the team got the ability to win games

Edited by M13

Given that I´m not familiar with the concept, how do these regional games come about?..Every team have them?

As for the results lately I wonder if Heart was simply underperforming mostly earlier (JA?), obviously the team got the ability to win games

I think all clubs have done them at some time. Most anyway. But I don't think it's fixed in the schedule. It's just an attempt to bring the game to regional areas that don't get to see much professional sport. And to some degree, broaden the support for the game and clubs.

And yeah, I think it's fair to say we were underperforming! We became devoid of any confidence, which has been coming back lately. Also I think it's fair to say that JA wasn't the greatest game day, thinking on your feet tactician. JVS is much much better in this regard. Also, we've traditionally had constant injury disruptions, which has also improved recently since we got a new fitness coach. So it's a combination of different things IMO. Even the takeover has probably helped, in as much as players are motivated to put their best foot forward.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 2

Hoff has barely put a foot wrong all season.

Err what? Is that because he's put both feet wrong all season?

I can't agree with you there mate, Hoffman was not terrible, but he wasn't good either. He was responsible for some woeful passing, usually passing to no-one and he panics too easily, which means he clears/boots the ball anywhere! His shot on goal was his best action of the day!

• Like 1

I know Bella will kill me, but for the first time I thought the Hoff was ok. His decision making is improving and maturing and, along with Mass, has to be one of the fittest in the squad - he kept pushing all day.

No, I wouldn't kill you, Hoff is OK in patches but if he is seen as a RB for the future then we either have very modest ambitions or our proposed style of play doesn't involve any creativity from our wide players.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

I don't mind flares for the atmosphere but whilst they damage the club's reputation (and it will when your club's supporters light 2 flares on a day where homes all over the state were destroyed by fires), then I'm against it.

Hoff has barely put a foot wrong all season.

Err what? Is that because he's put both feet wrong all season? I can't agree with you there mate, Hoffman was not terrible, but he wasn't good either. He was responsible for some woeful passing, usually passing to no-one and he panics too easily, which means he clears/boots the ball anywhere! His shot on goal was his best action of the day! The first problem is there's at least a handful of players that make mistakes week in week out yet are praised and complimented constantly on here. Hoffman seems to be an easy target for everyone to pick on. Under jvs Kalmar has seen less game time, mifsud dropped, willo benched as a impact sub, gerhardt less game time etc etc. all those knocking Hoffman must then know much more than jvs and perhaps they should be cosching the team. Because jvs seems to think Hoffman is doing quite well.

If he is doing as bad as you say, why is jvs keeping him on? And name another player right now with the team we have who could possibly play that position in our squad?

Edited by n i k o

#passionisnotacrime

Letting off a flare in those conditions is fucking moronic absoluty moronic. The whole area is a tinder box and some dumb fuckwit does that. It's not passion at all.

• Like 6

#passionisnotacrime

Letting off a flare in those conditions is fucking moronic absoluty moronic. The whole area is a tinder box and some dumb fuckwit does that. It's not passion at all.

There's no talking sense to these people is there? The stupidity on a day like today is obvious. Really disappointing.

• Like 1

JA had no ability to tactically adapt his plan during a game and the players knew it. His subs were poor, team selection was poor and the players knew it. Training was either low intensity with poor tactical emphasis or very high intensity and resulted in repeated player injuries. The main issue was with man management, the team played with enormous anxiety and very defensively under instruction from the coach. The p[layers knew the futility of this but the game plan never changed. Aloisi seemed unconcerned by our away form and the infamous comment 'if we win we win, if we lose we lose' summed up the team ethos under him.

All teams have regional games, usually in small regional centres unless you are Sydney FC or WSW where the outskirts of Sydney are the edge of the known universe and there be monsters beyond the city limits

• Like 1