Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

League One/Two stats for Hartlepool:

15 goals in 5349 minutes, goal @ every 356.6 mins (David Williams goal every 313.1 since Fury).

99 matches, 58 starts, subbed off 41 times.

Has a reputation for a good initial acceleration but standard at pace, decent on the dribble, can hold up, good finisher with feet and head, poor stamina rarely lasts the 90.

Edited by LR9

14 goals in 77 games in league 2... hrmm

Fair argument. Because he's quite young I'd be curious to see how many minutes he played across those 77 games. I wouldn't be surprised if he came on late or was subbed early in a lot of those games.

In 2013-14, 38 matches for 4 goals, one goal every 567 minutes.

In 2012-13, 38 matches for 4 goals, one goal every 498 minutes.

In 2011-12, 27 matches for 7 goals, one goal every 234 minutes.

From transfermarkt

Kennedy spent 9 years in Germany for 27 goals.

Would much prefer someone with a bit of upside even if he hasn't scored for fun in a lower league.

Bundasliga 2 vs 4th divi England is a bit different though. Plus Kennedy then proved himself in Japan.

I'm not saying the kid is a complete spud coz frankly I know nothing about him but using a visa spot on a guy who'll most likely come off the bench here and there sounds like something Melbourne Heart would do, not city.

Kennedy spent 9 years in Germany for 27 goals.

Would much prefer someone with a bit of upside even if he hasn't scored for fun in a lower league.

Bundasliga 2 vs 4th divi England is a bit different though. Plus Kennedy then proved himself in Japan.

I'm not saying the kid is a complete spud coz frankly I know nothing about him but using a visa spot on a guy who'll most likely come off the bench here and there sounds like something Melbourne Heart would do, not city.

Incorrect, Melbourne Heart would use a visa spot on a bloke who isn't even going to make the bench under a decent coach (see Maycon, Gray, Mifsud).

• Like 1

I reckon use the last VISA spot on a solid LB.

They're going to/have signed Tom King.

Hasn't he played for under-age Australian representative teams? IMO he qualifies as Australian now.

Yep.

Probably read what I wrote in the wrong context.

(Read as: They're going to sign or have already signed Tom King.)

Edited by LR9
  • Like 1

I reckon use the last VISA spot on a solid LB.

They're going to/have signed Tom King.

Hasn't he played for under-age Australian representative teams? IMO he qualifies as Australian now.

Yep.

Probably read what I wrote in the wrong context.

(Read as: They're going to sign or have already signed Tom King.)

King could come in under the "+3" rule, couldn't he? We still seem to have several places left.

For the record, as noted by LR9, Poole started just a little bit more than half of his games (which is to be expected, because he started playing for his club when he was just 20-21). Also, he played in midfield last season (the no 10 position, I believe) for 33 games for Hartlepool, so as a striker his strike rate was 12 goals over 66 games (just 37 starts), that is 12 goals over 3398 minutes minutes (about 1 goal every 283 minutes), and all of those games were in League One. Pretty decent stats for a young player IMO (and then of course there's qualitative judgements of his football, including him registering for multiple goal of the season awards [winning 1], and his football skills and potential being pretty highly rated by a number of observers).

Anyway, it looks like the plan is to sign a defensive midfielder with the final Visa spot, who can possibly cover as a central defender: 

Van‘t Schip said he hoped to add to the roster “in the coming weeks”, but was happy, for now, with his squad.

“If we’re going to get one more [Visa player] in, it’s going to be more in a defensive-thinking kind of position,” van‘t Schip said.

“So that could be a defensive midfielder or somewhere at the back, someone maybe who can play also maybe as a centre back because with Connor (Chapman) in but being sick (glandular fever), at the moment we’re very vulnerable with Robbie (Wielaert) and Patrick (Kisnorbo) only having the two of them.

“We have some players behind that can back up like Ross Archibald but he’s very young. We have to make the squad as competitive as possible and that’s the position we’re looking for.”

Here: http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-coach-john-vant-schip-says-a-defensive-utility-could-be-its-last-foreign-recruit/story-fnk6pqhe-1227013086336  and here: http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/no-rush-koren-melbourne-city-learn-engelaar-blow

Probably makes sense. Even though I suggested using the Visa spot on a striker might be pretty useful, we already have Villa (for 10 games) in that position, David Williams and probably the Aus marquee will be a striker as well (probably Kennedy). It's probably a good idea to use the remaining Visa spot on a position where we don't have a marquee that can play in the same position. 

We know the club has been looking at signing Erik Paartalu and 28 year old Eredivisie player Ryan Koolwijk (not known for sure, but I'll assume he wasn't considered for the marquee spot). If we can get a DM of that ilk, I believe we'd definitely have the best midfield in the competition, and that would go a long way towards the team being successful next season (and if that foreign DM can also play as a CB, all the better).

Edited by Murfy1

Apparently the reason the Jerks havent got Paartalu yet is because his Thai club wont release him before the January transfer window. So I guess that rules him out.

Would be nice if CFG offered them 100k fee (or something) for him considering it seems almost certain he'd go in Jan.

anyway Id be very happy with the final visa spot going to a DM if we're only going to be playing one, with Koren & Mooy more advanced. Not sure if Mass or Nicky K are up to it. Maybe mass?

Unfortunate about Chapman hope he gets well soon!

Apparently the reason the Jerks havent got Paartalu yet is because his Thai club wont release him before the January transfer window. So I guess that rules him out.

Would be nice if CFG offered them 100k fee (or something) for him considering it seems almost certain he'd go in Jan.

anyway Id be very happy with the final visa spot going to a DM if we're only going to be playing one, with Koren & Mooy more advanced. Not sure if Mass or Nicky K are up to it. Maybe mass?

the two preseason games in Ballarat we played with one DM and two AM's JVS has done this in the past, I guess it just depends on if they sign someone who is capable to do the job by themselves. I dont think mass could, Germano probably? but he is always injured.

If we could manage it and have Koren and Mooy more advanced, id love that. Mooy can always help back too since he did play the DM role at WSW anyway

the two preseason games in Ballarat we played with one DM and two AM's JVS has done this in the past, I guess it just depends on if they sign someone who is capable to do the job by themselves. I dont think mass could, Germano probably? but he is always injured.

If we could manage it and have Koren and Mooy more advanced, id love that. Mooy can always help back too since he did play the DM role at WSW anyway I think mooy was quoted in saying the reason he came to heart/ city was that they consider him for a more attacking role and he didn't think dm was the role for him.

Edited by drewmelbcity

For the record, as noted by LR9, Poole started just a little bit more than half of his games (which is to be expected, because he started playing for his club when he was just 20-21). Also, he played in midfield last season (the no 10 position, I believe) for 33 games for Hartlepool, so as a striker his strike rate was 12 goals over 66 games (just 37 starts), that is 12 goals over 3398 minutes minutes (about 1 goal every 283 minutes), and all of those games were in League One. Pretty decent stats for a young player IMO (and then of course there's qualitative judgements of his football, including him registering for multiple goal of the season awards [winning 1], and his football skills and potential being pretty highly rated by a number of observers).

Anyway, it looks like the plan is to sign a defensive midfielder with the final Visa spot, who can possibly cover as a central defender: 

Van‘t Schip said he hoped to add to the roster “in the coming weeks”, but was happy, for now, with his squad.

“If we’re going to get one more [Visa player] in, it’s going to be more in a defensive-thinking kind of position,” van‘t Schip said.

“So that could be a defensive midfielder or somewhere at the back, someone maybe who can play also maybe as a centre back because with Connor (Chapman) in but being sick (glandular fever), at the moment we’re very vulnerable with Robbie (Wielaert) and Patrick (Kisnorbo) only having the two of them.

“We have some players behind that can back up like Ross Archibald but he’s very young. We have to make the squad as competitive as possible and that’s the position we’re looking for.”

Here: http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-coach-john-vant-schip-says-a-defensive-utility-could-be-its-last-foreign-recruit/story-fnk6pqhe-1227013086336  and here: http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/no-rush-koren-melbourne-city-learn-engelaar-blow

Probably makes sense. Even though I suggested using the Visa spot on a striker might be pretty useful, we already have Villa (for 10 games) in that position, David Williams and probably the Aus marquee will be a striker as well (probably Kennedy). It's probably a good idea to use the remaining Visa spot on a position where we don't have a marquee that can play in the same position. 

We know the club has been looking at signing Erik Paartalu and 28 year old Eredivisie player Ryan Koolwijk (not known for sure, but I'll assume he wasn't considered for the marquee spot). If we can get a DM of that ilk, I believe we'd definitely have the best midfield in the competition, and that would go a long way towards the team being successful next season (and if that foreign DM can also play as a CB, all the better).

JVS is correct. If we're vulnerable ATM it's in the back half of the squad. I can't see that we have quality cover for Wielaert and Kisnorbo. Going forward we have an abundance of goal scoring avenues, more so than at anytime in our club's history. Scoring probably won't be our weakness, but keeping the opposing team from scoring might be. So a defender/DM with experience would be highly desirable - something like what Madaschi was able to bring to the team in that brief golden period.

Going forward we have an abundance of goal scoring avenues, more so than at anytime in our club's history. Scoring probably won't be our weakness, 

We'll certainly get lots of shots on goal but as we've seen this doesn't translate into goals all that often.

In the past, agree. That was when our main weapons, to put it loosely, were Duga, Willo and the ever present threat, Mifsud. Now we can include Mooy, Koren, Duff and Villa. Surely there's a bag of goals in that lot.

• Like 1

Going forward we have an abundance of goal scoring avenues, more so than at anytime in our club's history. Scoring probably won't be our weakness, 

We'll certainly get lots of shots on goal but as we've seen this doesn't translate into goals all that often.

In the past, agree. That was when our main weapons, to put it loosely, were Duga, Willo and the ever present threat, Mifsud. Now we can include Mooy, Koren, Duff and Villa. Surely there's a bag of goals in that lot.

Williams: 10 goals, Villa: 8, Kennedy: 8, Dugandzic: 7, Koren: 6, Duff: 6, Mooy: 5 = 50 goals and that's just from our midfield. You'd probably throw in a couple of headers to Paddy from a corner too  ;)

The most goals a club scored last season was 45 by AU (6th), 43 by Roar (1st), 42 by Tards (4th), 40 by SFC (5th).

With Berisha gone from Brisbane you'd think their goal count would come down to under 40 so I see Adelaide (and possibly Sydney) as our big scoring threats this season.

Paulo Retre has been representing the club with some visits to local football clubs: https://twitter.com/RiversdaleSC/status/496851253557612544

I reckon him, and Archibald, have been signed up for next season.

Apart from 2013 pre-season when Aloisi was coach, where Retre played in midfield alongside Hoffman (and didn't stand out, as no players did under Aloisi), I haven't seen much of him. Has he looked good in the NYL team perhaps? Our coaches, JVS, Trani and Jolic seem to rate him, so I guess we'll see more of Retre in the future.

Paulo Retre has been representing the club with some visits to local football clubshttps://twitter.com/RiversdaleSC/status/496851253557612544

I reckon him, and Archibald, have been signed up for next season.

Apart from 2013 pre-season when Aloisi was coach, where Retre played in midfield alongside Hoffman (and didn't stand out, as no players did under Aloisi), I haven't seen much of him. Has he looked good in the NYL team perhaps? Our coaches, JVS, Trani and Jolic seem to rate him, so I guess we'll see more of Retre in the future.

FWIW Kamal Ibrahim was still representing the club on school visits after he had been delisted so I would not take too much away from that....