Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

Throwing the brand out and thinking you can keep winning to keep the fans will come didn't work with Gold Coast, and it won't work with Mini Man City. In fact, they will be hated because they will be seen as the foreigners coming in using their wealth to buy wins. Australians hate that.

You cannot compare this situation to Gold Coast. This is COMPLETELY different.

What I think a lot of people are overlooking here is that the next big step for Australian soccer is to reach past the current audience and get "non-soccer" people interested. Much like what happened with the 06 World Cup.

If City can create an exciting, polished product they will have no issues attracting large numbers. Gold Coast played some of the best football ever played in the A-league. It was exciting, attacking, winning football. They had an Australian marquee at the top of his game, and unless they get Cahill, who else will compare?

Look at Victory: 20 k against SFC in a sudden death game. They used to get 55 k for a Sydney game. Piss off the fans, they won't come, no matter what.

And football clubs are nothing without fans.

Will fans cheer for a team that wears the shirt of an English club they couldn't care less about, whilst the other side pushes the fact that they are Melbourne from day one?

They are delusional if they think they can sustain a Melbourne A-League club on the back of Man City. If it wins people will come. Bandwagoners. Thier money is as good as anyone else's...

not exactly a sustainable model if the new owners are relying on bandwagoners to keep them afloat. As soon as the team comes under a bit of adversary those bandwagoners will go back to supporting wsw

So where did we fit in without successes then? What was our sustainable model?

Oh thats right. We had a "community" club, which basically meant a group of wealthy businessmen sat around and spent as little as possible in the hopes that the fans would build the club in its entirety for them. Every fan I know busted heir arse to do everything in their power to make Heart work, but without the people at the top actually being interested in its progression, then we can only get so far.

I am a bit drunk right now, so forgive the rambling. Heart had its chance and it did fuck all with it. Anyone willing to take their place and make an actual go of creating a REAL football club has my 100% backing. 

Edited by KSK_47

Petition? - No. People hiding in a group and not prepared to stand up and write their own words.

Letter/e-mail? - Yes. I've done something similar to Bela, in my own words and not his. Made sure the subject line included the words 'Message for Mr. David Gallop re Melbourne Heart." Added my name, address and Membership Number. I'm quite happy to answer questions from FFA or Manchester City (not that anyone would ever ask, but that's not the point). My words are measured and not confrontational. I believe in what I've asked for. I've had the standard acknowledgment, saying my '...questions/suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated and will be forwarded to the appropriate department.' So far so good.

People tend to think that no-one will listen in situations like this. They certainly won't if no-one speaks up.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

Well I wouldn't mind a completely new slate to work on. Get rid of the players, name and colours. A new terrace should also be a high priority because Yarraside is a clusterfuck littered and led by either retards or 12 year old kids using their lunch money to purchase fred perry polo t shirts. Good riddance to this season and good riddance to this pathetic chapter of a club nobody will remember.

That Fred Perry bit is fucking funny. I thought it was our third kit for a while

Oh thats right. We had a "community" club, which basically meant a group of wealthy businessmen sat around and spent as little as possible in the hopes that the fans would build the club in its entirety for them. Every fan I know busted heir arse to do everything in their power to make Heart work, but without the people at the top actually being interested in its progression, then we can only get so far.

I am a bit drunk right now, so forgive the rambling. Heart had its chance and it did fuck all with it. Anyone willing to take their place and make an actual go of creating a REAL football club has my 100% backing. 

Hang on a minute here.  As far as spending goes,  Mariners have been on a shoe string budget and look at them.  

As far a spending on facilities goes, does the container that holds the ice really make a difference?

If you want to point the finger there were two major issues:

1. JA's appointment.

2. I am sick to death of the players being a protected species.  They are the ones who actually kick the fucking ball!  Look at the individual mickey mouse defending in JVS's first term, the endless open goal misses this season, incidents which directly changed the outcome of the games.  If you want to know why we are where we are, this is 50% of your reason.  

One other thing.  To have 7,000 members in such poor on-field circumstances is a success.  Victory were down to 11,000 crowds under Durakovic.  We lost members but we kept getting new ones.  We would have kept more of them if players didn't stuff all the time.

• Like 1

Petition? - No. People hiding in a group and not prepared to stand up and write their own words.

Letter/e-mail? - Yes. I've done something similar to Bela, in my own words and not his. Made sure the subject line included the words 'Message for Mr. David Gallop re Melbourne Heart." Added my name, address and Membership Number. I'm quite happy to answer questions from FFA or Manchester City (not that anyone would ever ask, but that's not the point). My words are measured and not confrontational. I believe in what I've asked for. I've had the standard acknowledgment, saying my '...questions/suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated and will be forwarded to the appropriate department.' So far so good.

People tend to think that no-one will listen in situations like this. They certainly won't if no-one speaks up.

That's a bit rich. It has nothing to do with people hiding or not being prepared to stand up. It's about numbers. If City or the FFA think that they lose only a few fans, why would they care? If they thought they might lose a substantial number of fans, and therefore money, they'll take more notice. That was my point. Several people on this forum have discussed the 'potential support lost against potential support gained' as a justification for City to make a colour change. After all, both City and FFA are running businesses.

I'm not against people writing letters/e-mails, and if you're against a petition that's fine. But don't try and tell me it's gutless and pretending you're Martin Luther King cuz you've written a fucking e-mail!

Edited by Pete Heartspur

as most of you will be aware:

Confirmed:-Sky blue home kit-Etihad airways sponsor-Manufacturer: Nike-White home shorts"The Heart look likely to retain their original red and white colours in some form despite being set to change their home strip to sky blue."

u7TcHmi.jpg

First of all, there is no official evidence of this being announced. And if they were the kits we play in next season, i will happily waste my money on a home kit to burn that disgusting piece of shit.
  • Like 1

Confirmed:

-Sky blue home kit

-Etihad airways sponsor

-Manufacturer: Nike

-White home shorts

"The Heart look likely to retain their original red and white colours in some form despite being set to change their home strip to sky blue."

u7TcHmi.jpg

In the words of the great man... th_smiley_sick.gifth_smiley_sick.gifth_smiley_sick.gifth_smiley_sick.gifth_smiley_sick.gifth_smiley_sick.gif

Hang on a minute here.  As far as spending goes,  Mariners have been on a shoe string budget and look at them.  

As far a spending on facilities goes, does the container that holds the ice really make a difference?

1. JA's appointment.

2. I am sick to death of the players being a protected species.  They are the ones who actually kick the fucking ball!  Look at the individual mickey mouse defending in JVS's first term, the endless open goal misses this season, incidents which directly changed the outcome of the games.  If you want to know why we are where we are, this is 50% of your reason.  

One other thing.  To have 7,000 members in such poor on-field circumstances is a success.  Victory were down to 11,000 crowds under Durakovic.  We lost members but we kept getting new ones.  We would have kept more of them if players didn't stuff all the time.

In terms of the Mariners, they are a prime example of why we didnt work- Because the people in charge at Gosford genuinely care weather or not the club does well. They have built a fighting mentality because they cannot afford to be anything else. Thats fine, but if you are going to make decisions on a shoestring budget you have to be smart about it and will need to fight for everything.

The decisions we made were ultimately not in the interest of the club. They were made to get our names in the paper. While obviously publicity is extremely important, this is not the way to go about it. You want publicity, then you need to pay for it. You dont compromise your coach for headlines and savings. You cant sign backpackers and expect people to take you seriously. You dont just simply build a club and expect everything to happen. You need to 1) be passionate about your own club and 2) YOU need to work hard at it too. You cant expect the club to run  itself.

One thing to remember though is that we didn't need City to take over and completely transform Heart. Someone might have bought it and kept the colours and name and simply spent some money improving what needed improving. 

Heart needed someone to take over with football brains but it didn't need to be completely reinvented. 

Edited by Alexxandro
  • Like 2

Confirmed:

-Sky blue home kit

-Etihad airways sponsor

-White home shorts

"The Heart look likely to retain their original red and white colours in some form despite being set to change their home strip to sky blue."

u7TcHmi.jpg

I sincerely doubt that City would unveil the new kits with a bad enough graphic that the boxes don't even match up along the edges. That's some fine copy-paste-and-drag-into-place work there. If you zoom in when you're in Paint, you should be able to see the pixels well enough to match the edges up next time. :)

Without any substantial evidence I would assume there are far more football fanatics in melbourne than in Gosford. So one can assume the one and only thing that would make mariners fans keep coming back would be on field success. Basically a must for them. For us not so much, as is evident by out membership number despite our total lack of success.

1. JA's appointment.

In terms of the Mariners, they are a prime example of why we didnt work- Because the people in charge at Gosford genuinely care weather or not the club does well. They have built a fighting mentality because they cannot afford to be anything else. Thats fine, but if you are going to make decisions on a shoestring budget you have to be smart about it and will need to fight for everything.

The decisions we made were ultimately not in the interest of the club. They were made to get our names in the paper. While obviously publicity is extremely important, this is not the way to go about it. You want publicity, then you need to pay for it. You dont compromise your coach for headlines and savings. You cant sign backpackers and expect people to take you seriously. You dont just simply build a club and expect everything to happen. You need to 1) be passionate about your own club and 2) YOU need to work hard at it too. You cant expect the club to run  itself.

I agree.

But that doesn't mean you throw out the club entirely.  It means you review who is making those decisions.  (Here's looking at you Scotty).

The decision was to sell the club to people that had other interests. That was not man city's decision. That was the decision made by the people who created the club.

Look at it like this. If you had parents that largely neglected you your whole life then came home one day and They told you they had adopted you out to people you don't know and have signed papers to say they won't see you again, do you keep the same last name?

I wouldn't.

Something I would love to know is the original boards 2, 5, and 10 year vision and goals for the club back when we started. I wonder whether they saw that far into the future of where they wanted to be. You would think people running such a big club would have though that far. And what kpi they had to reach such goals. Based on the decisions and apparent lack of direction we seemed to have had over the four years it's really scary to think that perhaps they never had a well defined plan to achieve some sort of success. Leaves me speechless at the very thought.

Confirmed:

-Sky blue home kit

-Etihad airways sponsor

-White home shorts

u7TcHmi.jpg

I sincerely doubt that City would unveil the new kits with a bad enough graphic that the boxes don't even match up along the edges. That's some fine copy-paste-and-drag-into-place work there. If you zoom in when you're in Paint, you should be able to see the pixels well enough to match the edges up next time. :)

these are my mock ups, everyone needs to relax. but i read an article where its  pretty much confirmed that they using a sky blue kit for the home, like i stated above.

That's a bit rich. It has nothing to do with people hiding or not being prepared to stand up. It's about numbers. If City or the FFA think that they lose only a few fans, why would they care? If they thought they might lose a substantial number of fans, and therefore money, they'll take more notice. That was my point. Several people on this forum have discussed the 'potential support lost against potential support gained' as a justification for City to make a colour change. After all, both City and FFA are running businesses.

I'm not against people writing letters/e-mails, and if you're against a petition that's fine. But don't try and tell me it's gutless and pretending you're Martin Luther King cuz you've written a fucking e-mail!

There's no need to be insulting. I happen to believe that individuals do count, and I happen to believe that someone such as David Gallop, if he is sincere about his recent article on club "members", will take notice of an individual "member" who goes to the trouble to write a letter and express an opinion in his or her own words. I used e-mail only because I feel that the communication on this particular issue needed to be prompt. I also happen to believe that petitions are not as effective as people would believe.

I do not seek to force my opinion on others. If you wish to organise a petition you are free to do so.

Edited by jw1739

Article published 15th April - 5 days ago - after the FRG meeting. Has no more basis of fact than anything said since. You are simply rehashing old "news."

Its not just about numbers, bums on seats are important that's true, but the passion of those numbers is very important. Look at the visitors where the bumbling club management have antagonised and harassed north terrace all season. Whatever else you may think of them they do provide most of the atmosphere at visitors games, and crowds have reflected this flat match day experience. We may get a large crowd with an AFL atmosphere but do we want that?

Article published 15th April - 5 days ago - after the FRG meeting. Has no more basis of fact than anything said since. You are simply rehashing old "news."

2 days ago. http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-heart-in-bid-for-new-look-20140418-zqwfs.html

I think they might have a vote for the kit and have a few different designs for everyone to vote on and thats where you would get an article like that and why you would have articles quoting the FFA saying an application has been received and then subsequent quotes from Barlow protesting the use of Sky blue. it could be one of the options. I hope they have a members vote and then have another vote for the general public. But it seems from all the information we have that the home kit as sky blue is a foregone conclusion, I hope there is an option to keep white stripes on the home kit....

2 days ago. http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-heart-in-bid-for-new-look-20140418-zqwfs.html

already been posted on here on the keep the red and white thread.

Its not just about numbers, bums on seats are important that's true, but the passion of those numbers is very important. Look at the visitors where the bumbling club management have antagonised and harassed north terrace all season. Whatever else you may think of them they do provide most of the atmosphere at visitors games, and crowds have reflected this flat match day experience. We may get a large crowd with an AFL atmosphere but do we want that?

Mate, I totally agree. I don't think the FFA do though.

I agree with the proposition that Melbourne Heart was founded and run by management that thought that it would all just happen when the club was established - support would come just because we are in an allegedly sports-mad city, and playing success because we assembled an international coaching team, and so on and so forth - and that there just wasn't the hard work and application required to turn this into reality. And I think that has flowed down into the playing group - "if we win we win, if we lose we lose."

In reality the wheels didn't start to fall off until Christmas of S2. IIRC we were second on the ladder at that point, but that's where it all began to fall apart and it has gone downhill ever since. We have had two-and-a-half seasons of poor performance. That's why I have not, in general, endorsed the re-signings that have taken place so far - IMO we should have waited until Manchester City had completed a full assessment of everything at the club. ATM it would seem that our new owners are taking a "softly, softly" approach in terms of the people at the club, and I am surprised that people in key management positions are still there. However, if we don't achieve the goals that Ferran Soriano has set out for us, or at the very least look like we are on the road to doing so, 2-3 years out, I cannot see that the current people can survive. City are not going to put significant resources into us and tolerate an under-achievement mentality.

Could we turn it all around without at least a degree of re-branding? Theoretically, yes, but although I don't want to see the red-and-white go I do feel that Melbourne Heart has become associated in a lot of people's minds with failure, and that some degree of re-branding is required.

• Like 1

There's no need to be insulting. I happen to believe that individuals do count, and I happen to believe that someone such as David Gallop, if he is sincere about his recent article on club "members", will take notice of an individual "member" who goes to the trouble to write a letter and express an opinion in his or her own words. I used e-mail only because I feel that the communication on this particular issue needed to be prompt. I also happen to believe that petitions are not as effective as people would believe.

I do not seek to force my opinion on others. If you wish to organise a petition you are free to do so.

How did you think telling people they hide behind a petition would come across? Hence my reply.

Shithouse attempt at a troll. Tards by name, tards by nature.

At least make your profile private if you're going to masquerade as a Heart fan, having Connor Pain page in your "Likes" is a bit of a give away. No one bar Tard fans like that ferret looking cunt.

• Like 3

Well yeah, but actually a 2nd terrace at the other end of the ground would be fantastic.  I know the club would love to see it, if it could be done well and not detract from Yarraside.

Judging by some of the actions and ill feeling that seemed to exist between groups in the Yarra side area at the WSW game, this may well be a good idea.

Spreading the active support to both ends would at least bring atmosphere around the stadium, not just concentrated to one spot.

• Like 1

Mate, I totally agree. I don't think the FFA do though.

We both are in agreement over that, somehow I think that FFA believe that they can 'manage' active fans and still maintain the atmosphere as if active fans are just unpaid extras working for FFA/Foxtel. Maybe they'll just use prerecorded chants and crowned noises

Could we turn it all around without at least a degree of re-branding? Theoretically, yes, but although I don't want to see the red-and-white go I do feel that Melbourne Heart has become associated in a lot of people's minds with failure, and that some degree of re-branding is required.

It's a great opportunity to rebrand through a redemption story. I know that this is a stronger story in the US market than here but there's more kudos and redemption in bringing Heart from bottom to top than there is in killing it off and rebuilding from the ashes I think. We all like fairy stories with a happy ending, how about Cinderella in a red and white slipper?

Just watching that Sam, Ed and Eddy show and they mentioned the colour change proposal by Manchester City. The top dog of A-league was there and he mentioned they will look into it and the clash with Sydney FC. Sounds like it's duly done and dusted, colours will change.

Given De Bohun's comments on santo Sam & ed, we can expect the FFA to take a "rubber stamp" position on anything proposed by man citeh

Already got the new logo sorted out if the colours change to sky blue:

giving-the-finger-profile.jpg

What do people think? Shows how much the new owners appreciate the fans.

• Like 1