Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

anyone seen the away kit? I'm not sure about the symbolism of the logo (and of course logos are all about symbolism) with the Melbourne logo encircled by light blue, but I can live with it, the colours are much more important. I can live with red and black stripes, what is the away strip?

You might want to look around this thread some more :(

Overall, I was very happy with the email. The home shirt is really the only thing that I don't love. And there were some nice little touches, which can hopefully be taken as an olive branch from the ownership (e.g. Villa posing with the red shirt, rather than the new home shirt). A big tick from me.

• Like 2

That home strip is close to one of the passable compromises I had in my mind. the dark blue/black stripe should have been red. All white home stripe will be unique at least. Still hate the change and I will approach the new franchise with trepidation. Hate the logo, but it is slightly better than the old one. to be honest is looks like a fake. Name change is fine by me, even though I have grown used to Heart. 

I notice that there are so sponsor logos on the jerseys, it'll be a separate announcement obviously but I'd guess that if it were still Westpac it'd be on the jersey now

I'm assuming it's still being worked out.

HostPlus announced for back-of-shirt sponsor, most likely no locked-in main sponsor yet.

Overall, I was very happy with the email. The home shirt is really the only thing that I don't love. And there were some nice little touches, which can hopefully be taken as an olive branch from the ownership (e.g. Villa posing with the red shirt, rather than the new home shirt). A big tick from me.

Pretty much where I'm at too. Have been pretty loud with my opinions about the home kit changing but knowing that change was inevitable I'm content with what they went with; it's better than the solid sky blue kit I feared we would end up with. I would have preferred some red on the home kit but I'll take solid white with the blue stripes. I'm actually a fan of the logo too, the flag of Melbourne is present and I don't mind the blue border which obviously had to be there.

Agree that David Villa posing with the red shirt was a nice touch...all in all, I'm ok with the kit/name/logo outcome and thrilled about seeing Villa play for us.

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 4

I wonder if our socks and shorts on the home kit will be blue

Wouldn't be surprised if it's light blue, but it will look like sydney away so I'm hoping all white. I don't mind all white kits.

just seen on another thread the new home strip is the same as City's 3rd kit from last season. So going by that it white shorts and socks

• Like 1

Wouldn't be surprised if it's light blue, but it will look like sydney away so I'm hoping all white. I don't mind all white kits.

All white would look great.

is this still our club though?

Don't think it was our club to begin with. Until memberships come with voting rights it will never be our club. We are just people chose to support Melbourne Heart. We can either continue to support this variation or leave. As much as I would like to think of Heart as a club, it's sadly just a franchise, just like most professional teams throughout the world these days. 

• Like 3

Pretty much where I'm at too. Have been pretty loud with my opinions about the home kit changing but knowing that change was inevitable I'm content with what they went with; it's better than the solid sky blue kit I feared we would end up with. I would have preferred some red on the home kit but I'll take solid white with the blue stripes. I'm actually a fan of the logo too, the flag of Melbourne is present and I don't mind the blue border which obviously had to be there.

Agree that David Villa posing with the red shirt was a nice touch...all in all, I'm ok with the kit/name/logo outcome and thrilled about seeing Villa play for us.

My prediction is the colour change is not over. Its well known that the owners wanted the solid sky blue and they will probably keep working towards that.

• Like 3

Yeah, interesting query. The word is it will be just the same as Man City's, but interesting to think how different the theme of the kit would be if they went either sky blue or red with the shorts and socks.

My prediction is the colour change is not over. Its well known that the owners wanted the solid sky blue and they will probably keep working towards that.

You're likely right, but that still potentially depends on Sydney/FFA (or maybe not, City might just bend them over, who knows).

As upset as I would be at that (and how I've felt in the last few months about these changes happening) I'm kind of coming to a point where I know I can't constantly stress about the likely inevitable changes we're going to see....I'm at a stage where I'm just going to try to enjoy what we're going to see as much as possible and worry about this shit when it occurs...

• Like 1

is this still our club though?

Don't think it was our club to begin with. Until memberships come with voting rights it will never be our club. We are just people chose to support Melbourne Heart. We can either continue to support this variation or leave. As much as I would like to think of Heart as a club, it's sadly just a franchise, just like most professional teams throughout the world these days. 

You are right, which is why people need to understand the reality.

In the world of modern day sport, there are very few examples of clubs that are actually owned by supporters/fans. The big money business that it is makes it near impossible to have any other way, and it usually becomes a play thing for rich people to own.

We all connect to things for different reasons, and change is inevitable in todays world.

• Like 1

I think the tenuous ties with Heart that they've kept in place is just a measure to appease the views of heart fans, and will quickly be phased out to become essentially identical to New York/Manchester City. 

Edited by Hackett
  • Like 2

Wouldn't be surprised if Etihad were being lined up for a sponsorship deal. Might be interesting to see if any contract that the FFA has with Qantas would put a stop to that though.

Hostplus are a tie in with Melb Storm.

Interesting one that...

Geelong (AFL) still has Ford as their major sponsor even though AFL's major sponsor is Toyota. So if that counts for anything, it could happen.

Wouldn't be surprised if Etihad were being lined up for a sponsorship deal. Might be interesting to see if any contract that the FFA has with Qantas would put a stop to that though.

Hostplus are a tie in with Melb Storm.

Interesting one that...

Geelong (AFL) still has Ford as their major sponsor even though AFL's major sponsor is Toyota. So if that counts for anything, it could happen.

North Melbourne with Mazda too