Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

And FWIW I really dont care if I cope criticism for looking on at this campaign from a much more realistic prospective than most in this Thread.

This is after all exactly how Owners themselves will view the situation purely as an Emotionless Business Decision.

They will assess how much collateral damage to the existing Supporter base are they are prepared to take and if the most Supporters will remain regardless of their campaign then they will obviously go ahead with the Colour Change they obviously wish to implement.

I also know for a fact that there quite a few other very committed Heart Fans who view the situation like this...

No worries, Cadete. I'll give you a placard to hold up on the day.

I wont be attendance... I will be watching Geelong.

Ok.

I don't understand how 50 people signing stat decs can be more effective in getting the owners attention than 2500 people holding up placards, banners and numerous social media pages. I understand people have their opinion on the social media thing and that is fair enough but in the overall scheme of things if it's for the greater good (which is keeping the colours) then why not get behind it?

Because why should the City Group care about a bunch of Supporters campaigning against a Colour Change via Social Media and with Cardboard Signs if the vast majority of them are just going to stay on as Supporters anyway?

Because they said they care and they said they would consult us. The whole idea is we show them we love our colours and if they are true to their word they will recognise that and say ok we said we would consult them, they are showing they don't want a colour change so let's be true to our word and give them what they want.

Why did we (Yarraside) bother with the Our Club, Our Colours banner if we are apparently just going to stay on as supporters anyway? What was the point of it? It's the same message!

pls respond

And FWIW I really dont care if I cope criticism for looking on at this campaign from a much more realistic prospective than most in this Thread.

This is after all exactly how Owners themselves will view the situation purely as an Emotionless Business Decision.

They will assess how much collateral damage to the existing Supporter base are they are prepared to take and if the most Supporters will remain regardless of their campaign then they will obviously go ahead with the Colour Change they obviously wish to implement.

I also know for a fact that there quite a few other very committed Heart Fans who view the situation like this...

It's no wonder you don't give a shit about this campaign because obviously you don't give a shit about Heart. 

Brilliant attitude :clap:

I don't understand how 50 people signing stat decs can be more effective in getting the owners attention than 2500 people holding up placards, banners and numerous social media pages. I understand people have their opinion on the social media thing and that is fair enough but in the overall scheme of things if it's for the greater good (which is keeping the colours) then why not get behind it?

Because why should the City Group care about a bunch of Supporters campaigning against a Colour Change via Social Media and with Cardboard Signs if the vast majority of them are just going to stay on as Supporters anyway?

Supporting a football team is not a rational decision, it's purely emotional. We can dress it up in rational justifications, but the reality is that it is the personal experience of emotional connection with the team that drives and maintains a supporter. You can't make a decision that will affect supporters without taking this into account.

• Like 1

This will obviously likely be the biggest factor they are looking at but I also feel that the goodwill they're currently attempting could be harmed if they act too harshly here and that may bother them.

The petro-dollar teams in world football have understandably irritated many with their 'financial doping' and most of them are going to great lengths to garner goodwill from the larger football community to counter these opinions. If City are seen to buy up a random club from a smaller league and strip them of their identity and effectively replace them with a smaller mirror image of themselves I feel this could create even more general irritation or hatred from the footballing public. 

They may not care, but I'd think it's a factor in their decision process.

And FWIW I really dont care if I cope criticism for looking on at this campaign from a much more realistic prospective than most in this Thread.This is after all exactly how Owners themselves will view the situation purely as an Emotionless Business Decision.They will assess how much collateral damage to the existing Supporter base are they are prepared to take and if the most Supporters will remain regardless of their campaign then they will obviously go ahead with the Colour Change they obviously wish to implement.I also know for a fact that there quite a few other very committed Heart Fans who view the situation like this...

This will obviously likely be the biggest factor they are looking at but I also feel that the goodwill they're currently attempting could be harmed if they act too harshly here and that may bother them.

The petro-dollar teams in world football have understandably irritated many with their 'financial doping' and most of them are going to great lengths to garner goodwill from the larger football community to counter these opinions. If City are seen to buy up a random club from a smaller league and strip them of their identity and effectively replace them with a smaller mirror image of themselves I feel this could create even more general irritation or hatred from the footballing public. 

Irritation is the key word here.

Some would still see the games while seating in GA, just observing the development of the new team.

As the team in blue wins and presents us with attractive style of play with results to follow, most would grow to appreciate it and develop some attachment to them (not passion.... Not yet)

By end of the season while forced to swallow the bitter pill, I would find my way back to active area.

However I still wouldn't hug strangers wearing blue if team scores

I'm not trying to cause a fight I just legitimately want to know why we made the Our Club, Our Colours banner, then have people proceed to not support a similar campaign.

That was my point almost two weeks ago when certain posters starting pressing for a Banner at the WSW game..

That a loud crowd statement had already been made and noted by the City Group.

And FWIW I really dont care if I cope criticism for looking on at this campaign from a much more realistic prospective than most in this Thread.This is after all exactly how Owners themselves will view the situation purely as an Emotionless Business Decision.They will assess how much collateral damage to the existing Supporter base are they are prepared to take and if the most Supporters will remain regardless of their campaign then they will obviously go ahead with the Colour Change they obviously wish to implement.I also know for a fact that there quite a few other very committed Heart Fans who view the situation like this...

Irritation is the key word here.

Some would still see the games while seating in GA, just observing the development of the new team.

As the team in blue wins and presents us with attractive style of play with results to follow, most would grow to appreciate it and develop some attachment to them (not passion.... Not yet)

By end of the season while forced to swallow the bitter pill, I would find my way back to active area.

I'm talking about the opinions of others in the general footballing community though, not specifically Heart fans. Many within that general community already have a strong dislike of Man City due to their new-found financial strength and how they throw it around (which any club in that position would do mind you). City are countering this public opinion by investing in the local Manchester area, building an amazing academy, involving themselves in charity/community work etc and have generated a certain extent of goodwill with these actions.

If they start buying clubs and re-designing them as they please I'd have to assume that a portion (however large or small) of the goodwill they may have generated outside of their own fan-base would dissolve. The remodeling of clubs without supporter consent is a sore spot in world football at the moment.

Edited by King Malta

Anyways not about to jump up with joy just yet. Still very little known about who exactly this group is, whether they will continue with the same community programs, whether they will keep us playing at AAMI, whether they will keep the same colours and most importantly whether they will keep up the good relations the previous admin established with active supporters.

I think FB's position has been pretty clear from the start.  Nearly three months later, these very valid questions are still not answered.  I know the Man City fans on this forum have said a few times that the owners don't like to say too much publicly, but we probably could have saved about 70 pages of angst in this thread alone if we had some certainty.  As things stand, I think it's perfectly reasonable to have a final colourful display and celebration at the WSW game.  No matter what decisions end up being made up above, and no matter what path individual supporters choose to take next season based on those decisions, at least we will always have this final celebration, and know that we at least made it clear that we really love our current colours.  The effectiveness of the message or whether it has any impact whatsoever on our owners is really another issue altogether.

Let's all unite under the red and white on Saturday  :up:

• Like 3

I'm not trying to cause a fight I just legitimately want to know why we made the Our Club, Our Colours banner, then have people proceed to not support a similar campaign.

That was my point almost two weeks ago when certain posters starting pressing for a Banner at the WSW game..

That a loud crowd statement had already been made and noted by the City Group.

Yarraside statement, not crowd. I think that's more the point of this campaign that it's about everyone, not just Yarraside. We want to show that all supporters from all sections are behind it not just Yarraside. I don't see how getting behind a similar campaign is in anyway negative. But that's your opinion and your entitled to it, just wanted clarification.

Anyways not about to jump up with joy just yet. Still very little known about who exactly this group is, whether they will continue with the same community programs, whether they will keep us playing at AAMI, whether they will keep the same colours and most importantly whether they will keep up the good relations the previous admin established with active supporters.

I think FB's position has been pretty clear from the start.  Nearly three months later, these very valid questions are still not answered.  I know the Man City fans on this forum have said a few times that the owners don't like to say too much publicly, but we probably could have saved about 70 pages of angst in this thread alone if we had some certainty.  As things stand, I think it's perfectly reasonable to have a final colourful display and celebration at the WSW game.  No matter what decisions end up being made up above, and no matter what path individual supporters choose to take next season based on those decisions, at least we will always have this final celebration, and know that we at least made it clear that we really love our current colours.  The effectiveness of the message or whether it has any impact whatsoever on our owners is really another issue altogether.

Let's all unite under the red and white on Saturday  :up:

Exactly right Gabi. A celebration of what we are (despite the pain suffered!) where we've come from and where we hope to be into the future and of the friends we've made either sitting or standing near us and in our various involvements with the club however large or small. To those who choose to move on for whatever reason, well, thanks for the memories and perhaps we'll see you again.

• Like 1

I thunk questioning cadete's loyalty is a bit rich guys

I am more than happy for people to compare the work and commitment I have shown to Yarraside and this club to anybody who posts on this Forum.

I take back my attack. I'm sorry. I'm not a big fan of the AFL and find it hard to see the appeal. 

Edited by Alexxandro

It's no wonder you don't give a shit about this campaign because obviously you don't give a shit about Heart.

How dare he go and support a club that he has been going for since birth in a fairly important game vs. 4-year old club in meaningless fixture.

• Like 1

No worries, Cadete. I'll give you a placard to hold up on the day. I wont be attendance... I will be watching Geelong. It's no wonder you don't give a shit about this campaign because obviously you don't give a shit about Heart.

How dare he go and support a club that he has been going for since birth in a fairly important game vs. 4-year old club in meaningless fixture.

My mum knited me the first "Blue and White Hoops" I ever wore before I was even born FWIW,

They may not care, but I'd think it's a factor in their decision process. Irritation is the key word here.

I'm talking about the opinions of others in the general footballing community though, not specifically Heart fans. Many within that general community already have a strong dislike of Man City due to their new-found financial strength and how they throw it around (which any club in that position would do mind you). City are countering this public opinion by investing in the local Manchester area, building an amazing academy, involving themselves in charity/community work etc and have generated a certain extent of goodwill with these actions.

If they start buying clubs and re-designing them as they please I'd have to assume that a portion (however large or small) of the goodwill they may have generated outside of their own fan-base would dissolve. The remodeling of clubs without supporter consent is a sore spot in world football at the moment.

Chelsea went through similar situation after being taken over by the Russian Tzar.

Lots of hatred was directed at them as they bought players and begun collecting trophies.

Still remember what some ppl called them.

Plastic , fake, paid dirty cash for titles.....

We must prepare for similar treatment here

Except one very obvious exception a fucking salary cap. Looking forward to dumbs shits even mentioning money to me.

It will happen regardless of how ill informed their opinions are.

However I'm looking forward to family days where instead of pony rides we will have camel rides!!!

People who whinge about the new found wealth of their rival clubs are really just saying:

"look, we are the rich bastards and your role is to lie down and let us kick you; how dare you aspire for trophies; we buy trophies, you're not allowed to".

FWIW I just see Europe's "Financial Fair Play" as just an extension of that- a vehicle for the powers that to be to maintain the status quo.  Can't have little up starts like Man City knocking out poor little old Man Utd.

I welcome the whinging of our rivals!

Supporting a football team is not a rational decision, it's purely emotional. We can dress it up in rational justifications, but the reality is that it is the personal experience of emotional connection with the team that drives and maintains a supporter. You can't make a decision that will affect supporters without taking this into account.

What a sad day it would be if we were a passionless bunch of gits who bent over without a whimper - which by comments on this site we're definitely not. That wouldn't be the type of club that many of us would want to be a part of surely. But the passion on display is surely a sign that the club has a 'heart beat' , yeah sorry  :droy:  , and I reckon the new owners recognise this as positive for the future. HOWEVER, I think that MCFC will engage with current supporters AND the wider Melbourne public in the off season, trying to gauge support for a change to our name, badge and home colors. In this way they'll try to expand interest in the club beyond the current supporter base.

Like I have said, I'd rather have tried and failed than have done nothing at all and just accepted the changes. 

The team behind the Keep Melbourne Red and White campaign should all be commended, they've done a brilliant job of celebrating our identity. 

Same here.

I'd feel pretty shit if we just sat back and did nothing and the changes were made. Maybe we won't make a difference but I'd rather know that we gave it our best shot rather than sitting on our asses and just watching it all happen.

We're only going to get one chance to let everyone know how much we love our club before the decisions on these changes are made.

• Like 6

The more I think about what City's ambitions are for us, the more I think they will change the colours.

What history would they really be wiping?  This is a club-lets be frank with no success.  We are currently last, down from second last a season ago.  What's there to lose by putting the red and white into the dust bin of Australian football history?

They see this as a club that should be filling AAMI every week, they've said so.  They are therefore expecting another 20k supporters, and to them if half die-hards give the club away, 3.5 k fans is neither here nor there.  

Sure, they're yet to learn how tough Melbourne's sporting market really is.  But they're not thinking 1-2 years from now, they've given themselves a decade.

Now I don't support any of this.  

In fact the big miscalculation for them is that the remainder of Melbourne's football fans are Euro-snobs.  Who support THEIR Euro clubs.  

Which more than likely will give them all the reason they need to not to come and watch Mini Man City.

That is the point Kiro, we don't have a history on the field to be proud of, we've had 4 years of no ambition, mediocrity, fear of success and underinvestment, but that is the whole point in keeping the colours. Changing that and achieving excellence, beautiful football and success without losing the things that we love about Heart is exactly why we should keep and transform our franchise, not throw it out and start again. If we can change what we don't like whilst keeping what we do like then that will be a sign of real success.

• Like 5

That is the point Kiro, we don't have a history on the field to be proud of, we've had 4 years of no ambition, mediocrity, fear of success and underinvestment, but that is the whole point in keeping the colours. Changing that and achieving excellence, beautiful football and success without losing the things that we love about Heart is exactly why we should keep and transform our franchise, not throw it out and start again. If we can change what we don't like whilst keeping what we do like then that will be a sign of real success.

Well said.  Pity you're not on the heart Board bela.

Agree with Kiro's comments about Eurosnobs.  They will be a much harder nut to crack then Man City people seem to realise.  Also they may have been misled by that Liverpool crowd.  Based on the people who were sitting next to me and the crowds at the airport the next day, I'd say at least half those fans hadn't come from Melbourne. 

Bottom line is Man City will need someone like me, who buys 5 memberships for his family plus talks his mates into coming to games, keeps chipping away (well OK, I stopped when Aloisi was coach - a man's got to know his limits) at those Eurosnobs he knows and threatens any of the kids he coaches that if they support anyone else they'll have to do 100 laps!

As to what Man City themseleves will bring - remember how few the mighty Everton got to Etihad?  I was shocked - just assumed they'd sell the place out.  I reckon Man City would have even less supporters here than the toffees and as I've commented elsewhere, for better or worse they'll chase off more Man Utd fans than the Man City ones they bring in.

If they do go down this colour change route they'll live to regret it (not a threat, just a business prediction).

• Like 2

Well said.  Pity you're not on the heart Board bela.

I'm open to offers :)

If MCFC want to grow the supporter base of our club it has to be done in cooperation with the football public of Melbourne. Organically, by consulting with people in the way that WSW was born. For our UK friends, that wasn't done by coming over the top of prospective fans but by engaging and getting the fans to in effect guide and shape the image of the club including colors, badge etc. If it turns out that Melbourne people give the sky blue color the finger, so be it, MCFC will have to lump it or win no fans. There are many, many ManU fans out there already, as well as others, that won't have a bar of MCFC or the sky blue color - I hope MCFC have done their homework on football fans in Oz.

• Like 2

Heartinator of course they have done their homework these guys are not a local consortium made up of a butcher a baker and a candlestick maker! These are world proven business men with the money to back them up. If you build it they will come, I think was the phrase in field of dreams and this will be the case here . Heart are now not funded by what they generate through the gate and the other revenue streams but by one of the richest men in the world, obviously like city and NYC the plan would be to get Heart self sustaining at some point in the future, but right now he can fund it on empty stands while he gets Heart where he wants it to be .

From a coldhearted business and marketing view the issue of colours are non-conclusive..

If we look at say sports fashion or breweries they are happy to have a number of very different looking brands, then we got the big "franchise" operators like say Mcdonalds or Starbucks streamlining everything.