Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

That 'Alan G Howarth'......"Manchester CIty don't do Red' etc

If he's a city fan he needs to wobble his head a bit. City's classic away strip is red and black vertical stripes. And this isn't city it's melbourne heart

Exactly. Comments like his aren't helping anyone, especially if he is representing an official supporters club. Red and black stripes is my favourite away strip, and I wouldn't have a problem if we went red and white stripes next season as an away strip next season.

The way I see it, if the option back in 2010 was between following Melbourne Victory and a satellite EPL club called Melbourne City playing in sky blue (even if it was a nominal amount) I would probably have ended up following the Mongs instead or continued my uninterest in the A-League.

And knowing most people on bere who were there at the start of Melbourne Heart, I imagine most would have done the same aswell.

Most of us followed Heart because we wanted to support a club from the start that was from Melbourne and represented Melbourne. Not a club that reperesents a sporting club from overseas that's based in Melbourne.

Regardless of whether a theoretical mini Man City in Melbourne had of fulfilled a mandate of raising the game in victoria or not. The majority of us would not have gotten behind that club, either because of our own epl allegiances or because It didn't represent Melbourne.

This is the crux of the matter. If a mini man city wouldn't have interested you in 2010 as a second licence, then it shouldnt interest you now just because they've replaced our previous half arsed owners. And any change in name, colours and logo that the new owners brings takes us closer to becoming that mini man city.

Pretty much this, main thing i want is the clubs stability to be ensured, to achieve that the club needs to strive to improve on and off the pitch. I would opt for this rather than mini man city, dont care about the money and potential success i want to support Heart and help it grow not just have some artificial club not serving its own purpose.

Given that Sheikh Mansour is the chairman/benefactor of one of the two clubs that plays in Abu Dhabi City, and AlJazira Club are using red/white as primary colours I don´t really know why anyone thinks blue got no alternatives..Às for New York City blue is that main sporting colour in NYC, "NY Giants, NY Yankees, NY Rangers, NY Knicks etc etc " use blue and it makes sense for a brand new club wanting to fit in to follow suit...It´s also that the other two main New York clubs use Green/yellow or Red/white mostly.

• Like 1

I still don't get this identity thing. What identity does any club have. Most are pretty much all the same. We all want to play good football and win games. Gee I can't stand the football pundits in this country they really give me the shit's. 

Exactly. I mean, you can understand the Victory supporters giving that one a crack, since the ladder position/lack of support taunts are probably going to become redundant in the very near future. All they'll have soon is that they were here first and that many Heart supporters probably started out with Victory. But in a league where we're specifically trying to keep away from the ethnic rivalries of the old NSL (with good reason), what's left? Geography? Yeah, maybe if we'd picked the west/north/south/east or Geelong there would have been more immediate uptake (and that's a big maybe) like there was with WSW - if they'd won immediately, but you're just adding an artificial ceiling to the club (which is why WSW sold for less than Heart did).

Manchester City wanted to buy the club, because they see the potential here. Melbourne is sports mad and they will jump on board with any club that is playing at a high standard in a high quality league, even if it is something of a foreign sport to us (see our Storm attendances). And memberships and attendances can often fluctuate quite wildly, based on the team's performances (see an AFL club like Richmond, that has been around for over 100 years and has gone from 30.8k members in 2008, to 60.3k in 2013).

Currently, Victory and Heart combined claim less than 1% of the Greater Melbourne region as members. And if we continually put out a better product than them over the next 5-10 years, we'll get more sign-ups than them over that period. All the club needs to do is win.

As for an identity, if it's not going to be based on religion/ethnicity and we chose not to make it about geography (and rightly so, in my opinion), what's it going to be based on? Well, that will occur organically, with the supporters, as it becomes a generational thing with families, with the personalities of the players who become stalwarts for the club, the imports that we bring in, the coaches and so on. There's no reason to force it; an identity will clearly be established of its own accord over the next few years. And we'll be a big part of it.

• Like 4

Did see a fair few city shirts in the crowd tonight

Man city flogs everywhere, embarrassing.

Not sure the need for the word flogs in that sentence and why its embarrassing.

The more people come the better. Turning up because they support Manchester City is fine with me. Whatever the excuse its good to see new people at the game. People cant just turn up without any affection for our club and expect to be in love with us or wear our colours. So they turn up because their love of their club. 

Whatever brings them to us and eventually with performances like that and the atmosphere created by Yarraside (Amazing what happens when GA also contribute to this) they will become "supporters" and fall in love and become members. This is what we need.

So welcome to anyone who wants to come. Turn up in whatever the hell you want. You are welcome.

I can understand were your coming from mate, but before the game we had some massive banners talking about how we want to keep our colors and how proud we are that we are Melbourne heart and i found myself that these people wearing Man city shirts are nothing more than detrimental to that cause. To say that all people who were wearing man city gear were just man city supporters is a bit naive, these are the type of blokes who are happy to sell out the club for success and its not on.

I wouldn't of had a problem with all the people wearing man city shirts if it was a common theme but its not. I counted at least 20 odd people wearing city shirts and there were probably more, we might as well just sell out the club now and start wearing sky blue. Have some pride in the heart and the colors.

And before anyone brings up the argument 'what about the lads at the front of the terrance who wear button up polo's, shouldn't they wear heart gear too?' They have done heaps more for the club than a bunch of blokes wearing man city shirts. 

Surely you must agree stuff like this is too far?

BfS2CPaCcAEcp9_.jpg

We need a thumbs down button. 

Enjoyed wearing you man city shirt last night?

Edited by kingofhearts

keep home colors, change away jersey all you like!! We can compromise with our name so long as Heart is listed.

As mentioned many times before, Sydney have sky blue jerseys and our rivals have navy blue. I doubt very much we will change our home jersey entirely.

At the risk of sounding naive, is it possible that many people who were wearing City shirts were Sydney supporters? I've occasionally worn a different club/country's red/white shirt to a Heart game in the past.

As for the guy in the half and half shirt, was he definitely a Heart supporter? I would have thought those sort of things would happen quite regularly with rival club's supporters as a bit of a shit stir. And if he does support the Heart, good luck to him. The more people we get on board over the next 10 weeks, the better. What Melburnian said is spot on.

The 20 odd people are probably just city fans who decided to come on board. I only saw one personally last night (thought it might even have been that guy from the city supporters group).

Yeah, good point. I know a fair few City supporters over here who range between non-fussed about the A-League, to 'semi-Victory supporters', to Victory members. I've had a bit of half-joking banter with a few about them signing on with the Heart. And if any of them turned up last night (or for any of the remaining games), I'd be delighted.

Edited by SF33

I've never understood wearing other leagues kits to games. Unless they are red and white and are being worn to show OUR colours. 

The fact you are at the match shows your a football fan. Wearing random football related attire doesn't make it more so. 

Indeed.  I feel like walking up to them and saying "do you know XXXX isn't playing?"  Same at AFL games when retards wear 3rd party jerseys.

Dont change our colour

Red and White

I just dont think you understand

If you change our colour

Red and White

You will have a riot on your hands

Repeat *

Just somthing i came up with

My take:

Don't change our kit

To sky blue sh*t

I just don't think you understand OR We're Red and White. Understand?

If you change our kit

To sky blue sh*t

You're gonna have a riot on your hands

• Like 1

My take:

Don't change our kit

To sky blue sh*t

If you change our kit

To sky blue sh*t

I understand your point of view, and the association of sky blue with Sydney, and I've been one of the City fans on here who have supported keeping the red and white and even the name, but if a City exec were to hear this (which, let's face it, they might) from their point of view does it not sound a bit like you're trying to insult City, as opposed to just not wanting the colours changed?

Of course, if that was the idea, then fair enough.

Edited by Falastur

My take:

Don't change our kit

To sky blue sh*t

If you change our kit

To sky blue sh*t

I understand your point of view, and the association of sky blue with Sydney, and I've been one of the City fans on here who have supported keeping the red and white and even the name, but if a City exec were to hear this (which, let's face it, they might) from their point of view does it not sound a bit like you're trying to insult City, as opposed to just not wanting the colours changed?

Of course, if that was the idea, then fair enough.

Yeah, pretty much everyone here want's to see the boys in Red and not a 2nd Sydney at AAMI Park. I wouldn't mind some sky blue in another kit if they must include it somewhere.

Our Club. Our Colours.

The more people come the better. Turning up because they support Manchester City is fine with me. Whatever the excuse its good to see new people at the game. People cant just turn up without any affection for our club and expect to be in love with us or wear our colours. So they turn up because their love of their club. 

Whatever brings them to us and eventually with performances like that and the atmosphere created by Yarraside (Amazing what happens when GA also contribute to this) they will become "supporters" and fall in love and become members. This is what we need.

So welcome to anyone who wants to come. Turn up in whatever the hell you want. You are welcome.

I can understand were your coming from mate, but before the game we had some massive banners talking about how we want to keep our colors and how proud we are that we are Melbourne heart and i found myself that these people wearing Man city shirts are nothing more than detrimental to that cause. To say that all people who were wearing man city gear were just man city supporters is a bit naive, these are the type of blokes who are happy to sell out the club for success and its not on.

I wouldn't of had a problem with all the people wearing man city shirts if it was a common theme but its not. I counted at least 20 odd people wearing city shirts and there were probably more, we might as well just sell out the club now and start wearing sky blue. Have some pride in the heart and the colors.

And before anyone brings up the argument 'what about the lads at the front of the terrance who wear button up polo's, shouldn't they wear heart gear too?' They have done heaps more for the club than a bunch of blokes wearing man city shirts. 

BfS2CPaCcAEcp9_.jpg

What a tool - this shirt is the most revolting thing i have ever seen ( and ive been around awhile ) 

Just embarrassing - 

This can never be seen at a Heart Game - 

Yeah, pretty much everyone here want's to see the boys in Red and not a 2nd Sydney at AAMI Park. I wouldn't mind some sky blue in another kit if they must include it somewhere.

Our Club. Our Colours.

No, I get that. All I'm saying is that your wording is fine when discussed between MHFC fans, but to anyone who is more used to thinking about City (say for example, Ferran Soriano if he heard it sung at a game, or myself I guess), the first way we would interpret the phrase "sky blue sh*t" is to read it as "Man City are sh*t and we don't want to be like them".

That said, we are by now very used to hearing negative comments aimed at us, and so do tend to assume the worst in these situations, which doesn't really help, so I apologise that I know I'm distorting your message. Just trying to suggest a little caution if you do actually intend to get this going at the next home game.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 2

BfS2CPaCcAEcp9_.jpg

What a tool - this shirt is the most revolting thing i have ever seen ( and ive been around awhile ) 

Just embarrassing - 

This can never be seen at a Heart Game - 

Sorry, but who do you think you are to tell people what to wear to a game?

He obviously supports both clubs and he's happy to show his support for both clubs. IMO, it's got fuck all to do with you.

Same with everyone who wants to tell people how to dress. As long as people come and support the club, that's what matters, whether in casual gear, club merch, or overseas shirts.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 2

My take:

Don't change our kit

To sky blue sh*t

I think we made the point well on Friday. I don't think insulting the new owners is really appropriate given they've said nothing yet about changing colours, and have said they will listen to supporters. Right now, they're taking a good look at all aspects of the club before making changes. And I trust we'll have the chance to express an opinion before anything happens.

exactly. All we need to do is keep turning up, and showing we are passionate. They will be well aware that we don't want colours to change. Just get behind the team and show passion. That's what they are interested in. If they were thinking of changing colour is would be because no one gives a shit about the team and they could see it as a fresh start, but if we show we are passionate they won't want to mess with that. No need for chants or anything.

• Like 3

My take:

Don't change our kit

To sky blue sh*t

I think we made the point well on Friday. I don't think insulting the new owners is really appropriate given they've said nothing yet about changing colours, and have said they will listen to supporters. Right now, they're taking a good look at all aspects of the club before making changes. And I trust we'll have the chance to express an opinion before anything happens.

exactly. All we need to do is keep turning up, and showing we are passionate. They will be well aware that we don't want colours to change. Just get behind the team and show passion. That's what they are interested in. If they were thinking of changing colour is would be because no one gives a shit about the team and they could see it as a fresh start, but if we show we are passionate they won't want to mess with that. No need for chants or anything.

Agree 100%. the MCFC brainstrust are not stupid at all. They will quickly sum up the situation and the level of support the club has. The more we turn out and show support for the team and our colours the less likely they'll tamper with it. Why upset the solid supporter base when it's these very people you need to create the match day experience! However other aspects of the club, wheelie bins, etc are likely to be consigned to the dust bin of history. And not a moment too soon.

• Like 1

Agree 100%. the MCFC brainstrust are not stupid at all. They will quickly sum up the situation and the level of support the club has. The more we turn out and show support for the team and our colours the less likely they'll tamper with it. Why upset the solid supporter base when it's these very people you need to create the match day experience! However other aspects of the club, wheelie bins, etc are likely to be consigned to the dust bin of history. And not a moment too soon.

I dont mind a name change, But dont mess with the colors - the message on the weekend was simple and hopefully effective - they are all smart people i dont see a home color change on the cards

Agree and it's promising to hear of City's fan consultation but still won't be convinced until we're running out in red/white next season.

On another note, has much been mentioned of Etihad Stadium (Melbourne Docklands) and a possible link with the new club identity? You'd assume Heart/City would be committed to AAMI but stranger moves have happened.

I dont mind a name change, But dont mess with the colors - the message on the weekend was simple and hopefully effective - they are all smart people i dont see a home color change on the cards

Agree and it's promising to hear of City's fan consultation but still won't be convinced until we're running out in red/white next season.

On another note, has much been mentioned of Etihad Stadium (Melbourne Docklands) and a possible link with the new club identity? You'd assume Heart/City would be committed to AAMI but stranger moves have happened.

Despite all their money and don't get me wrong its great they have invested in our club, I think they are smart enough to know our message is clear - change what you want expect the colours (home kit)

Agree with the last few posts. There is no need for insulting or provocative chants and banners. This buyout brings so many positives. The new owners are incredibly professional and will already know the prevailing sentiments. We will gain far more credibility if we just keep turning up in red and white and supporting the team with our "come on you boys in red" etc

• Like 2

Great work on the banner from the Yside lads. Sent a clear message. Hope the new owners are willing to work with fans to continue to improve the match day experience. With an improved roster next year we should be aiming at 10k memberships.

Out of interest for those of us that couldn't be there, what did the banner say?

Great work on the banner from the Yside lads. Sent a clear message. Hope the new owners are willing to work with fans to continue to improve the match day experience. With an improved roster next year we should be aiming at 10k memberships.

Out of interest for those of us that couldn't be there, what did the banner say?

See post #1866 above for a photograph.