Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

If you follow the AFL and support Collingwood - could you stand next to I dunno Carlton fans cheering Carlton, Carlton. 

If you followed Arsenal could you stand next to Tottenham Fans cheering "COYS" 

As a DieHardRed - I cannot stand in the terraces singing come on City ....... Oh i just cringed !!

Keep the Heart

I think we will always be known as 'The Heart' 

Manchester City chief executive Ferran Soriano:

Maybe also, when you have a talent here who leaves immediately to play for example in the Championship, in the second division in England, then he has a chance to stay here and play seriously for a bit more, then maybe make the jump to the premier league directly. I think having good teams here is very good for Australian players but the market has to be open.

At http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/manchester-city-ceo-promises-good-football-as-heart-to-become-the-noisy-neighbours/story-e6frf4gl-1226808692282

My comment: A low salary cap isn't an "open market."

How much of the club has to be changed before it ceases to be the same club?

Name

Colours

Owners

Coach

Players

I don't mind people saying 'Woot I am going to follow Man City's proxy club in Melbourne'. That is fair enough.

Good luck to them and you.

What I don't get is people thinking that the new entitiy will be a continuation of the old entity.

The only thing that seems to be continuing is that there is a second club in Melbourne. An anti-Victory, if you like.

But the club we all support is winding up, its licence to play A-League football sold for a few million dollars.

At the conclusion of the final round of this season, the Heart stops beating. Simple as that afaic.

Forgot one thing. That thing is the only constant in any football club. THE FANS! Every club changes every single one of the things you mentioned. As long as the fans are the same it's the same club to me no matter who owns it or what it is called.

I think they will consult fans in every aspect of identity. The way they have gone about things seems to be very professional. I just don't get the feeling they are going to come in with arrogance and just try to make a Man City clone and expect us to nod our heads and smile.

I'm normally doom and gloom about these things, but I just don't think it's going to be that bad. I can see us becoming Melbourne City, but for me personally it cements us more a MELBOURNE team and fits is in the HEART of melbourne meaning rather than the big V team. I guess I just don't think of man city when I hear city because so many teams have it. Like if we were Melbourne United. I wouldn't think of Man U.

Yeah, I am normally quite pessimistic as well but I cannot see them creating a Man City clone, in fact, they outright stated that they weren't going to do it and in regards to being called Melbourne City it doesn't bother me. As I said earlier, I support Swansea City so I actually like the name haha.

Even if the name is changed to Melbourne City who cares! But if it was Melbourne Arsenal, Melbourne Spurs, Melbourne Chelsea then I wouldn't be pleased. Names like Melbourne City/Melbourne United sounds mainstream.

That's the way I feel also.

Another thing is I don't want any man city reference in this logo or on the shirt like Northern Spirt did with rangers.

If you follow the AFL and support Collingwood - could you stand next to I dunno Carlton fans cheering Carlton, Carlton. 

As a DieHardRed - I cannot stand in the terraces singing come on City ....... Oh i just cringed !!

Keep the Heart

Sorry but i totally agree with you.

How the fuck can anyone be happy with a name change.

WE ARE FUCKIN MELBOURNE HEART

And for the people who dont like our name and are happy to change it...

WHY THE FUCK did you support this club in the first place.

Im sorry but it baffles me how people are selling out.

People talk about "lack of identity" but we then go and sell what identity we have left to some fuckin sheik  who doesnt give a shit about this club and is only looking to make a profit,

I didnt sign up for Melbourne City

Edited by [LIBBA]
  • Like 4

Everything can change but so long as the same people turn up supporting the one club, so long as there is always a Yarraside, it is in my opinion still the same club. 

That being said I really want us to remain red and white. 

"we'll always be red, weeeeeee'll always be reeeeeed! We're not changing. We'll always be red"

TBH, I heard that Melbourne was getting a second team (at the beginning of season 4) and I told myself "they will need the support and it will be interesting to follow a club from the beginning- so thats going to be my club no matter how this turns out". Didnt know anything about them or what they planned on doing

• Like 2

Keep the Heart

People talk about "lack of identity" but we then go and sell what identity we have left to some fuckin sheik who doesnt give a shit about this club and is only looking to make a profit,

Yet you support the league which killed all of Australia's historical clubs. Lol.

• Like 3

Keep the Heart

People talk about "lack of identity" but we then go and sell what identity we have left to some fuckin sheik  who doesnt give a shit about this club and is only looking to make a profit,

Never apologise when you are in agreement 

Keep The Heart

You're kidding right? You dont think that exactly what this club was set up to do? You think the old owners cared about this club?

• Like 1

Keep the Heart

People talk about "lack of identity" but we then go and sell what identity we have left to some fuckin sheik who doesnt give a shit about this club and is only looking to make a profit,

So you support us because of our name? Nice.

You're kidding right? You dont think that exactly what this club was set up to do? You think the old owners cared about this club?

Bingo

• Like 1

I think a compromise can and will be made. 

Melbourne City FC is such a great name, it really should have be used from the start IMHO. 

Melbourne Heart, like most clubs is location followed by nickname/name - initially I think we will do something like Melbourne City Heart FC - still location followed by nickname.

Melbourne City also works as a great differentiating point for the "V" club - and how ironic that we can now differentiate as we are the Melbourne CITY club, metro etc (heck we have the melbourne colours) - whilst they can stick with their "V" club and become a Victorian club - and play more in Geelong for all I care! Send them to Bendigo!

This can, and I think will, work.

Whilst the (short) history is OURS and we are the FANS, we also shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. It is in everybody's interest to make this work.

Man City want use for footballing reasons, not marketing reasons. I just can't see them going crazy with changes to make them in to an Australian version or Man City. They did enough research in deciding if they would buy us and the market here. I'm sure they will do research with the current fans to work out what direction to go in.

Man City want use for footballing reasons, not marketing reasons. I just can't see them going crazy with changes to make them in to an Australian version or Man City. They did enough research in deciding if they would buy us and the market here. I'm sure they will do research with the current fans to work out what direction to go in.

True, but looking at the New York City club, it looks like a clone of MC.

But, that is a new club being established. Time will tell.

goodbye libba. have fun with mifspud in the almighty maltese league.

football in this country lost all loyalty and tradition with the creation of the a league.

you should be thankful our club is not dead.

I know I would rather support the same club whatever the name/colours/owners/location/sexual orientation than crack the shits like you have over a rather trivial topic such as official name.

hell, If they changed it to Melbourne felchers but it still remained the same club I would still support them

Keep the Heart

Thats just fucking stupid.

36 professional scouts.

Proper coaches employed

Proper Team

Money.

thats more than what we have now wouldnt you agree??? 

Good to see prior to the selling the club, how successful we have been since we bought that shit mosquito. Fact is 19games - 1 goal ...

THATS FUCKING QUALITY SCOUTING WORK - WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Im sorry but lets grasp back at the fact that we ARE NOW OWNED BY MANCHESTER CITY - BIGGER THAN ANY CLUB THAT MIFSUD WILL EVER PLAY/ AFFILIATE WITH - they wouldnt have bought him and half the team we have

What would you prefer? We keep this name or actually sell the club for the BENEFIT OF THE CLUBS FUTURE?

Edited by ton1no

True, but looking at the New York City club, it looks like a clone of MC.

But, that is a new club being established. Time will tell.

The US is also a really different market though. Huge populations and potential for large numbers of new fans. Most fans in australia though already have their international club team and wouldn't be expected to change. Melbourne heart would be expected to grow and gain new fans, but city wouldn't expect themselves to get massive amounts of new fans from it. If they wanted that they would of been buying one of the asian teams. 

I think that one of the most important things to come out of this is that we actually have some owners with ambition. Guys who won't just be satisfied with being the biggest club in Australia, but want to be an Asian powerhouse. I think that is an aspect that we have been lacking since our inception.

• Like 2

Keep the Heart

Relax my friend take it easy... We all bought the membership under MH and I agree with supporters that they want the same club name as MH, but this is a huge thing for the club and for the A league .....

I've been following man united for the past 35years and I always looked at man city as just a basic team that fight for relegation,but now they are top team in the epl....the changes are big, when I went to main road ex man city ground ,looked like shit......today they are playing in one of the best grounds in England ,,,,,,even the training facilities they changed.....

Man united got eliminated by Sunderland this morning so it wasn't a good start for me,but when I heard the news about the take over ,it made my day.

• Like 1

I find it funny people are complaining about the name change. It's the fucking A-League. It's a league made of corporate franchises that are only just turning a decade old. Moreover, we've only been supporting the club for handfull of years - not like the whole Wimbledon/MK Dons scenario.

This this this!!!!

My season ticket is going in the bin. I move all the way from Manchester, follow the United colors, and i still cant get rid of the Berty Blue nose City scum!!  :angry:

My City mates from Manchester are already taking the piss. I hate you City!!! :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

I'm devastated, I'm distraught. I want 4 oclock to come early at work so i can go home and cry. :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

With You all the way S I M 

Take the Money - But feck off to the name change 

Melbourne is Not Bitter - Its Red & White 

Keep the Heart