Melbourne Football

Round 8 - Aloisi Farewell game: Melbourne v Adelaide, Sunday 5pm

LR9

Hoping for JA to pack his bags before Sunday. He is sinking this club fast and something needs to be done to revitalise this season, or at the very least set the club up for next season.

A comfortable win this Sunday under a new coach would not only instil some confidence in the players and supporters, but there is also another benefit this week. It'd be great if PLFC could get a few thousand out of this. Great to see Melbourne Heart and Preston linked up for this round, whether by coincidence or association. 

Congratulations to Preston Lions FC for their selection as Hyundai's 'Goals For Grassroots' club for Round 8 of the Hyundai A-League.

The junior club is now guaranteed a $1,000 donation and will claim an additional $1,000 for every goal that Melbourne Heart FC score in Sunday's match vs Adelaide United at AAMI Park - up to a maximum of $10,000... courtesy Hyundai Australia

Preston Lions hit the jackpot, $1k on a very rare occasion that we score a goal. I don't think that Hyandai Australia need to worry about their $10k, it's pretty safe unfortunately.

Yep, if JA is still there by Sunday his game plan will ensure a maximum of $1000. Still better than nothing, but it'd be a welcome sight for both Heart and Preston for a few goals to be put in the back of the net. Something we haven't seen all too often this season.

"Sometimes it's a little bit of luck (we need) but also make sure the players focus for 90 minutes, concentrate, believe in what we're doing. They are believing, just sometimes they're losing that concentration and making silly errors."

Fuck I wish he would stop using luck as an excuse. Its insulting to us all. What next? Are we going to make the away teams walk out of the sheds under a ladder to even up the score?

He has had 9 months and over 16 games to sort out "bad luck", "lack of player concentration", "belief in the cause", etc etc.....at some point you need to own up and say "I don't have the answers". 

I don't think that JA is telling the players to do all those mistakes at the back game after game.

Change JA nothing is going to change to the team,,,we still going to have same back 4 , we don't have anymore choice of players.

We need to stay positive ,lucky we don't have relegation.

This has to be challenged - I can't believe I'm reading this.

How about trying Vrankovich, a national underage centreback?? How about playing Walker and building his confidence?? How about rebuilding Aziz?? How about trying anything at all when something's not working, instead of making the same mistake over and over again for 15 games. Postecoglu and Arnold are renowned for giving youth a chance on the proviso they do exactly as instructed or they'll be dropped. It's called being a manager in control With absolute authority.

But most importantly, how about stopping this long ball crap so the ball doesnt rebound rapidly like a pinball machine?? Fascinating to hear our national coach screaming from the bench against Costa Rica for his players to keep the ball on the deck. We just keep bombing away to midgets losing the ball time and time again, and guess what?? The ball rebounds cheaply putting our defence under immense pressure. Given a porous midfield, and unfit or lazy forwards who have no expectation to track back, the poor bastards are under siege.

This comes primarily down to coaching - authority and game plan. I'm hopeful, no expectant, that a serious manager could turn this around. But to keep stumbling along like this is madness - plain and simple.

...................................end rant.

I STILL #BELIEVE LIKE A TRUE SUPPORTER IN JA...

I don't think that JA is telling the players to do all those mistakes at the back game after game.

Change JA nothing is going to change to the team,,,we still going to have same back 4 , we don't have anymore choice of players.

How about trying Vrankovich, a national underage centreback?? How about playing Walker and building his confidence?? How about rebuilding Aziz?? How about trying anything at all when something's not working, instead of making the same mistake over and over again for 15 games. Postecoglu and Arnold are renowned for giving youth a chance on the proviso they do exactly as instructed or they'll be dropped. It's called being a manager in control With absolute authority.

But most importantly, how about stopping this long ball crap so the ball doesnt rebound rapidly like a pinball machine?? Fascinating to hear our national coach screaming from the bench against Costa Rica for his players to keep the ball on the deck. We just keep bombing away to midgets losing the ball time and time again, and guess what?? The ball rebounds cheaply putting our defence under immense pressure. Given a porous midfield, and unfit or lazy forwards who have no expectation to track back, the poor bastards are under siege.

This comes primarily down to coaching - authority and game plan. I'm hopeful, no expectant, that a serious manager could turn this around. But to keep stumbling along like this is madness - plain and simple.

...................................end rant.

I STILL #BELIEVE LIKE A TRUE SUPPORTER IN JA... Obvious troll is obvious

It annoys me so much that he doesn't even think that his tactics are wrong or bad at all. All he thinks is that we need more concentration and we need to "believe" more. He's either so delusional that he can't see it or he just doesn't want to be proven wrong.

Rather than doing some real football managing and changing things around for the players to work on on the pitch, he's relying on the psychology of our players to improve how they play.

...................................end rant. I STILL #BELIEVE LIKE A TRUE SUPPORTER IN JA... Obvious troll is obvious

not a troll just a paid up member,that sticks by his team[as a man u supporter i one of the greatest joys has been singing to chelsea supporters where were u when u were shit]i will not be bagging my team

• Like 2

...................................end rant.I STILL #BELIEVE LIKE A TRUE SUPPORTER IN JA...Obvious troll is obvious

not a troll just a paid up member,that sticks by his team[as a man u supporter i one of the greatest joys has been singing to chelsea supporters where were u when u were shit]i will not be bagging my team

Forgot how tough both clubs have had it over their history...

• Like 2

I find, and have found, the football under JA to be most boring. The results speak for themselves.

I have found that it's not just boring, it's just shit. He said in the interview he wants his players to play his tactivs so obviously his tactics are shit. They're outdated and they just don't work in this day and age!

I'm sure at some stage the players (before they just gave up on it) were playing his style and tactics so to win only 8 games from 34 (not including pre-season) means Aloisi's style and tactics just DO NOT WORK! We see it, the players see it, even the media are starting to see it - the only person that can't bloody see it is Aloisi!

He's still under the 'hope' that with some 'luck' that he can turn things around...yet he continues to play the same shitty style and tactics that have not won him a game in his last 12 attempts.

equ9epyj.jpg

Just you wait...

He's just training the players up for this when DMac comes back from injury...

Pretty sure this is the tactic he uses every week regardless of who he plays..

Yes but DMac isn't back... As I wrote, he's training them up for when he comes back. Why else would we play long balls to a fucking midget?

equ9epyj.jpg

Just you wait...

He's just training the players up for this when DMac comes back from injury...

Pretty sure this is the tactic he uses every week regardless of who he plays..

Yes but DMac isn't back... As I wrote, he's training them up for when he comes back. Why else would we play long balls to a fucking midget?

Cos he doesnt know how to coach a proper style of play?

Do we really have to sit through another game with Aloisi in charge?

It looks like it. I thought he would be gone after round six. Perhaps Essendon/Heart/Man U/Whoever Else was right with round 10. Or perhaps the club will split the difference just to show who is in charge and make it round 8.

Exciting stuff this. All will be revealed. Stay tuned.

Do we really have to sit through another game with Aloisi in charge?

It looks like it. I thought he would be gone after round six. Perhaps Essendon/Heart/Man U/Whoever Else was right with round 10. Or perhaps the club will split the difference just to show who is in charge and make it round 8.

Exciting stuff this. All will be revealed. Stay tuned.

Although we thought it was the Newcastle game that would be the final straw with JD Sidwell and Munn all there to watch, I'd say this will be the deciding game since Kewell is back. Although there is still a chance that the decision has already been made and that the negotiations with replacements have started and there is no way a deal will be reached by this week and therefore JA has to still be in charge. I guess the evidence of that will be if we win this week and then JA is still sacked?  JA is clearly out of his depth and needs more time as an assistant. Who knows, he might have already acknolwedged this fact and is working with the board (i highly doubt it) but I think people take comments made by JA in the media a little too much like the absolute truth. Of course he issnt going to say anything bad about himself in the media or that he cant turn it around. I dont think there is a coach around who is ever 100% honest. 

• Like 1

It annoys me so much that he doesn't even think that his tactics are wrong or bad at all. All he thinks is that we need more concentration and we need to "believe" more. He's either so delusional that he can't see it or he just doesn't want to be proven wrong.

Rather than doing some real football managing and changing things around for the players to work on on the pitch, he's relying on the psychology of our players to improve how they play.

I agree with this. One of the most telling things Aloisi said after the Newcastle game was this:

"Sometimes it's a little bit of luck (we need) but also make sure the players focus for 90 minutes, concentrate, believe in what we're doing. They are believing, just sometimes they're losing that concentration and making silly errors

I think this is a false distinction. The players aren't losing concentration and making mistakes for no reason. They are doing those things because they don't believe in the coach. Aloisi has lost the team, and he can't motivate the players. That's the question: can the coach motivate the players or not? Nothing is explained by distinguishing between 'belief' and 'concentration'. It's just a smokescreen to try and hide the fact that the coach can't motivate the players and get them to perform on the football pitch. 

What does he mean that the players aren't concentrating? WHY aren't professional footballers concentrating in the middle of competitive football matches? And how can the players possibly 'believe' in the coach and the gameplan, in any meaningful sense, when they can't even maintain their concentration for most of the match?

I guess when someone like Aloisi is saying such flimsy and delusional things, it is probably evidence that things are dire for him, and he can't explain away all the wrongs that are occurring. Probably just more proof that he'll be on his way out very soon.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

All this week I have been wanting us to lose so we will see the end of JA. It was the same last week. But then as soon as I started watching, all I wanted was for us to win. Guess I am as delusional as JA :up:

It is hard. I've been the same and know others also. Wanted to lose, but at the same time hate the fact that I hope they lose. I guess it's one of those things that you have to make some sacrifices for the long term. In saying that, I wanted JA gone part way through last season because I didn't think he was up to it, but would of been more than happy to be proved wrong and would of put my hand up and said I doubted him, but it's not going that way, so please let them see the light !!

Hopefully the hard lessons will make us a better club long term.

John Aloisi must break the glass and use weapon

Date November 26, 2013
Senior sports reporter with The Age

Midweek Motor

Z-20Lynch-20131126181651919985-300x0.jpg

Saviour? Harry Kewell of the Melbourne Heart. Photo: Getty Images

These days I often imagine that somewhere in a life-size case in a back office at Melbourne Heart's Latrobe University offices stands Harry Kewell,  encased behind the protective glass front.

That  case, stored carefully in a corner, bears the legend: ''Only to be opened in case of emergency'',  about where his forehead rests.

Use of such valuable equipment is not something  undertaken lightly. It carries risks,  and brings dangers of its own. But the situation is so dire  that beleaguered Heart boss John Aloisi has no option  but to swing the axe, crack the case and liberate Harry and hope he can come to the rescue.

Will the Socceroos veteran's powers be great enough to dig the struggling team out of its hole at the foot of the A-League table?

Can the man  dubbed the greatest  in Australian football history prove  a saviour in the most unlikely of circumstances?

Can pigs fly? Let's  say  it's unlikely, although in the wild and sometimes wacky world of the A-League  nothing can be ruled out.

So expect  Kewell to have a positive, if perhaps limited, influence for the Heart, if as expected he returns to action on Sunday afternoon against another team in an almost equally hapless position, Adelaide United,  with former Barcelona youth coach Josep Gombau now at the helm.

Judging by what we have seen so far, if the Catalan revolution is going to take hold at the Hindmarsh school of tiki-taka it's got a long way to go, but that's another story. Only a clash with the equally lowly Wellington (like Heart, the proud possessor of two priceless points) could, on paper,  be a less inspiring fixture.

Aloisi's situation has been discussed ad nauseam recently, but less talked about has been the disastrous season endured by Kewell. Brought into a struggling club to provide it with leadership – he was quickly made captain – some on-field smarts and hopefully a bit of box-office glitz, he has provided almost nothing.

The Heart say they are not paying him much more than the basic wage;  a good thing, as his contribution has barely merited that.

It's not all his fault: no one could have predicted the whiplash injury sustained in the first-round draw with Melbourne Victory, which laid him low for several weeks.  Then just as he was ready to return he injured an ankle at training and has been an absentee since.

That's seven games, one 70-minute cameo. In his defence, he did look one of the more effective performers in that drab opening-night stalemate with Victory and shaped as though he could be an influential playmaker.

But until now we haven't been able to find out because, like so often in the past, he  hasn't played.

It's testament to how good Kewell actually was in his heyday – more than a decade ago, as an adventurous and superbly skilled winger with then-rampaging Leeds  United – that he is still held in such high regard by so many, particularly those who don't follow football too closely. If they did they would know he has barely kicked a ball in competitive action in the past 18 months.

There hasn't really been an Australian football celebrity like Kewell, who when he signed for Melbourne Victory two years ago, was considered so great a  drawcard  he could negotiate a deal to be paid bonuses based on the extra tickets sold to punters  coming to  watch him rather than the team.

But the lustre has gone and it is instructive how rarely his name gets thrown up these days, even by people who are keen football fans.

Kewell's determination to keep on playing is admirable.

I am never one to argue  players should go out at the top and not sully the memory of their brilliant careers. If someone wants to continue playing and  warrants a place in the side, then go for it: even if it means they have to drop down a few divisions to do so.

Is Harry Kewell still good enough for the A-League? Given what he has achieved that probably sounds like an insulting question. But at 35, with his battered and bruised body preventing him from showing it so far this year, it's one that needs to be asked.

Let's hope he can take  the field on Sunday and provide  some answers. Whether he will be able to do enough to save Aloisi's coaching career is a moot point, but there would never be a better time for one old Socceroo to step forward and help out an old mate in his moment of greatest need.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/john-aloisi-must-break-the-glass-and-use-weapon-20131126-2y7xq.html#ixzz2lkYWbs17

I don't necessarily like the idea of sacking a coach so early in the season, but for Heart I don't really see a choice. Aloisi has one game to prove his worth, and it will take some major changes to his plans (i.e. changing everything) to get a win and instil some confidence in the squad. I don't like watching the team lose, no-one does, but I hope that after this game we have an answer; either JA is gone, or he somehow rallies the team under a new strategy.  

My advice for the weekend to the coaching staff:

PLAY THE FUCKING BALL ON THE DECK AND PLAY THE KIDS.

If I was on the verge of being sacked I would at least want to go out trying to play attractive football and trying something different. Nothing has worked to this point so roll the dice and have a crack. Give Vrankovich a run (who is good on the ball), play Walker, play Mauk next to Kewell and have one DM only (Mass), put Mifsud up front with a couple of kids either side and just see what the hell happens. Anyone who puts the ball in the air is dragged and sent to the Youth Team next week.

The season, if we keep going with this rubbish, is gone - time to change and develop. As bad as Adelaide have been, they are playing the high possession game. Against a team who bombs the ball long to midgets and turns the ball over with regularity, this will play beautifully into their hands. They won't have to work anywhere near as hard to get turnovers. To deny them the ball is half the battle in beating them. And I get the feeling it would spark the players enthusiasm for passing and possession. Wielardt looks like he'd love to do it, Mass would relish the challenge and Mifsud might actually get some service.

And if this doesn't work, what the hell. Nothing has so far and better to die trying.

• Like 1

My advice for the weekend to the coaching staff:

PLAY THE FUCKING BALL ON THE DECK AND PLAY THE KIDS.

If I was on the verge of being sacked I would at least want to go out trying to play attractive football and trying something different. Nothing has worked to this point so roll the dice and have a crack. Give Vrankovich a run (who is good on the ball), play Walker, play Mauk next to Kewell and have one DM only (Mass), put Mifsud up front with a couple of kids either side and just see what the hell happens. Anyone who puts the ball in the air is dragged and sent to the Youth Team next week.

The season, if we keep going with this rubbish, is gone - time to change and develop. As bad as Adelaide have been, they are playing the high possession game. Against a team who bombs the ball long to midgets and turns the ball over with regularity, this will play beautifully into their hands. They won't have to work anywhere near as hard to get turnovers. To deny them the ball is half the battle in beating them. And I get the feeling it would spark the players enthusiasm for passing and possession. Wielardt looks like he'd love to do it, Mass would relish the challenge and Mifsud might actually get some service.

And if this doesn't work, what the hell. Nothing has so far and better to die trying.

The long ball tactic is Foxe's idea.  Both eh and JA need to go or nothing will change.

I don't necessarily like the idea of sacking a coach so early in the season, but for Heart I don't really see a choice. Aloisi has one game to prove his worth, and it will take some major changes to his plans (i.e. changing everything) to get a win and instil some confidence in the squad. I don't like watching the team lose, no-one does, but I hope that after this game we have an answer; either JA is gone, or he somehow rallies the team under a new strategy.  

He doesn't have just one game, everytime the players and coaching staff go out on the pitch they have to prove their worth.